Chapter 7

Missing

                In the morning, Terrah had her alarm set for 6am. She got ready and unlocked her bedroom door and Ren was sitting in his desk already. Ren yawned and looked at her. “Why are you up already? Hoony doesn’t get up for like another hour or two.” She smiled at the sleepy boy. “That’s ok. I think I will just spend a bit of time learning the hallways so I can walk around by myself.” Ren nodded and rubbed his eyes as she walked away.

                Terrah sighed. Ren really did seem to know about everything that was going on. She headed towards the dining area, she could smell the food being made, but none was ready to eat yet. She then headed down to storage.

                On the floor right before the stairs leading to storage she noticed Amber was coming up the stairs carrying a cardboard box. Terrah looked at her curiously. “Hey Amber! Good morning!” she was going to continue acting like her friend. Amber about jumped out of her skin and dropped her box. Terrah noticed that it sounded like a bunch of metal things clanging together. The boyish girl quickly picked up her box. “Oh! Terrah! You scared the living daylights out of me! What are you doing up already?”

                “I woke up earlier than I wanted and thought I would go get more used to where things go in storage.” She lied. Amber nodded. “Ah you sure are a hard worker.” Terrah smiled innocently “So what were you doing down there?” Amber held up her box. “There was a box of kitchen stuff down there that I needed.” Terrah nodded and smiled. “Ah I see. Well you seem busy. I shouldn’t take up much more of your time.” Amber laughed and waved, heading back towards the kitchen.

                Terrah tried to think of where the kitchen stuff would have been. She has only seen electronics and appliances down there. Not many cardboard boxes with metal kitchen things. She wandered around the storage area, looking for anywhere that there were cardboard boxes. She only saw the plastic tubs that Jonghyun had been using for the electronics. It didn’t make sense to store things down here in cardboard. Amber was up to something.

                The storage floor was larger than she thought. There was a lot of empty space but it took her over an hour to thoroughly investigate all the visible walls. She couldn’t find any hidden rooms or anywhere that Amber could be hiding anything. The only wall she wasn’t able to properly investigate was the one that had the pile of junk in front of it.

                It was times like this that made her wish that she wasn’t on leave and had full access to any gadgets she needed for the mission. She really wanted the contact lenses that would let her see through solid objects. The government stopped letting people take them home because of incidents of young agents looking through peoples clothing in public. She laughed to herself as she remembered when they were being trained to use them and Woosang and Daniel were watching her. She ended up walking between the two of them and they accidentally used them on each other and fell off their chairs.

                Suddenly Hoon leaned in front of her. “What are you laughing at?” She came back to her senses. “Nothing. I just remembered something funny. Good morning.” Hoon nodded and stared at the pile. “Did it get bigger since last night?” Terrah shrugged her shoulders. “I don’t think so. Oh! Hoony, is there any kitchen stuff stored down here?” Hoon shook his head. “Nope. All the kitchen stuff is in the room next to the kitchen. It wouldn’t be very useful to have to go down two floors if they run out of clean trays or something. Why?”

                She explained about seeing Amber. Hoon thought for a moment. “Cardboard? That would get all damp and gross down here. Even Jonghyun is smart enough to use plastic bins.” The two of them laughed.

                They continued working on the pile. Some of the pieces were so small that it felt like they were trying to separate a giant pile of Legos by size and color. An unfamiliar voice suddenly called out. “Hello?! Anyone down here?” Hoon and Terrah both went to search for the voice. A tall thin boy was standing at the bottom of the stairs. “Oh! Hello! My remote stopped working. I need more batteries. My area ran out so I came to get more.” Hoon smiled awkwardly and went off to get more batteries.

                Terrah smiled. “Hello! I’m Terrah. I’m new here.” The tall boy smiled and waved. She took note of his light pink hair. “You can just call me Thunder. Everyone does.” He reminded her of Dara and she vaguely remembered her mentioning something about a brother she hadn’t seen since she entered school. Hoon came back and handed him a package of batteries. Thunder waved at the two of them and left back up the stairs.

                She made a mental note to not spend much time around him either, in case he was her brother and had any contact with her. Hoon suddenly put his arm around her shoulders. “You haven’t been anywhere besides down here and the food areas have you? Want to go look around?” She nodded and walked up the stairs ahead of him. “Let’s go check and see if the twins are alright.” She said smiling. He nodded and followed behind her.

                They found the twins at the hair salon, without Heechul. They both seemed to be fine today. Kwangmin saw her white hair first and dropped the broom he was holding. Youngmin looked up and ran over to her and wrapped his arms around her. “Not you too!!! Did he hurt you?!” Terrah laughed and shook her head. “No, it didn’t hurt at all.” Kwangmin was now grabbing sections of her hair, comparing how white it was to the blonde twins hair. “Her hair is lighter than yours.”

                Hoon sighed and pulled the twins off of the short girl. Terrah smoothed her hair down. “We came to check on you since you were sort of… umm…. Broken yesterday.” Hoon explained. The twins grinned. “Hoony! You like us now!” Kwangmin said as he grabbed Hoons hand. The older boy took his hand back. “It was Terrah’s idea. I wanted to look around since neither me nor her have been to many places.” The twins grinned and looked at each other, then looked behind them at the back door.

                Kwangmin grabbed Hoons arm and Youngmin grabbed Terrahs arm and quickly left the salon. Youngmin explained. “Heechul is sleeping. We have like 2 more hours till he is awake.” Kwangmin continued. “So until then, we can play with you!”

                The twins led them to a door a few hallways away from the salon. Youngmin opened it and Kwangmin pushed Hoon through the door. Terrah followed them inside. The twins grinned. “This is the bowling alley! People don’t usually come here till later.” Kwangmin explained as Youngmin went behind the counter and turned everything on. “Do you guys want to play?”

                Terrah smiled, she hadn’t gone bowling since one of her missions in 1956. She had to go out on a date with a local and Woosang was her partner for that mission. He was stuck playing with her date’s best friend. Woosang tried so hard to beat her dates score, but no one can compete with bowlers from the sport’s most popular era. “Let’s play. It’s been a really long time since I played.” Both twins raised their hands and in unison, yelled “I call Terrah’s team!” Hoon raised his eyebrow at them as Terrah laughed. The twins stared at each other.

                Terrah sighed. “I will be on Hoonys team. You two can be on a team.” Hoon smiled as the twins showed them where the balls were. Kwangmin went behind the counter and the music. It was playing random techno songs. Terrah didn’t even bother to think of when they were from.

                They ended up playing for way longer than the two hours the twins had. The twins won a majority of the games but Terrah and Hoon were getting better. They decided that this last game was all or nothing. If Hoon and Terrah won, the twins would have to go back to Heechul, but if the twins won, they were allowed to hide with them down in storage for the rest of the day. The twins were two points ahead and only the last frame was left. It was Kwangmin versus Terrah now. It would decide who the final winners would be. Hoon and Youngmin were staring intently.

                Kwangmin rolled the ball down and got 5 pins and then his second turn was a gutter ball, meaning he didn’t get to use the final frame. Youngmin groaned as the darker haired twin slowly went back to his seat. Terrah only needed to get more than 7 pins, preferably a spare or a strike. She turned to look at the boys. They were all paying very close attention. Hoon did a ‘fighting’ pose. She took a deep breath and threw the ball. She got 6 pins. The boys all sat up straight. Kwangmin and Youngmin were hugging each other watching nervously.

                She went again and got a spare. Hoon jumped up and yelled as the twins both groaned. Hoon ran over to her and lifted her up spinning her. “We won!! You are awesome!!” Terrah laughed and looked at the twins, they both looked like they were about to get sent for their execution. She smiled as Hoon set her down. “Hey, I still have my final throw. How about if I get a strike, you can come with us to storage anyways?” The twins lit up and nodded.

                Hoon pouted and watched as she threw the ball. It looked like it was going to be a gutter ball but the last moment it curved and she got a strike. The twins jumped up and hugged her. She laughed and pushed them both off of her. “If you are coming down to storage with us, I will be expecting you to work too.” The twins both pouted as Hoon laughed at them.

                A while later, down in storage, Terrah and Hoon had explained what to do to the twins and Hoon had opened up to them a bit. He told the twins that he thinks there might be a hidden treasure in the pile. The twins were now curious as well. Terrah sighed, she had told Hoon not to tell anyone. She sat down and took a break, watching the three boys working hard. She smiled. Maybe it wasn’t such a bad idea to tell the twins that there could be a hidden treasure. The pile was actually shrinking by a noticeable amount. At this pace, they could be finished in a week.

                Suddenly there was a loud voice yelling. “TWINS!!! WHERE ARE YOU!!” An angry Heechul showed himself as Kwangmin crouched behind Hoon and Youngmin attempted to crouch behind Terrah who was already sitting on the floor, he couldn’t fit. She sighed and rubbed her forehead. Heechul grabbed both twins and pulled them back towards the stairs. Hoon burst out laughing.

                It had been hours since they had come down here. They had made noticeable progress. Hoon was content with how much work they finished today so the two of them headed up to eat dinner. Jonghyun was already there, eating with Ren.

                Jonghyun called them over to his table. “So I heard the twins were using you to hide from Heechul.” Terrah nodded. “Yeah. They took us bowling.” Hoon smiled. “They made work go a lot faster!” Jonghyun laughed and took a bite of his food. “Terrah, you don’t have to be in storage if you don’t want. I remember you said something about wanting to be a writer. I have something I want to give you when we get home.” She smiled and nodded. Jonghyun was about to say something to Ren when the blonde boy suddenly stood up. “Well I have something I need to check on.” He smiled at them but they could tell it was forced.

                Terrah smirked as the young boy walked back to the kitchen. The two guys at the table noticed. Hoon and Jonghyun leaned in close to her. “What’s so funny?” Hoon whispered. She smiled again. “I was remembering something the twins told me about Ren being creepy like a porcelain doll.” Both men burst out laughing and agreed.

                After eating, the three of them headed back to their common room. Jonghyun suddenly ran into his bedroom and came back holding a laptop. He handed it to her and she immediately recognized it as being from 2012. He had a huge grin on his face. “We don’t have internet connection here, but this one has writing programs on it. I got Ren to ask for it and it finally came in today.” Terrah smiled and gladly took it. She could now write down a log of her mission and keep track of people.

                For the next three days, Terrah tried to keep a low profile. She felt like she had made Ren and Amber take too much notice of her. She figured out that if she stayed in her room ‘writing’ all day, Ren wouldn’t leave his desk. The twins had been helping Hoon down in storage when they could get away from Heechul.

                According to the clock, it was about 3 in the afternoon when there was a knock on her bedroom door. She opened it and let Hoon and Kwangmin in. As usual, Ren was still sitting at his desk. “Where is Youngmin?” she asked looking down the hallway. Kwangmin rubbed the back of his neck. “Heechul is messing with his hair again.” Terrah laughed and closed her door.

                Hoon motioned for her to lock it, so she did. “What’s going on guys?” she asked as she went over to the desk and closed the laptop. The two boys sat on her bed and Hoon looked a bit worried. “You know how we made the pile smaller by enough to notice?” Hoon started explaining. She nodded as he continued. “Well we will still make progress during the day but it just goes back to where it was.” She looked at the two, confused. “What?” Kwangmin nodded. “We even left a specific colored object at the bottom of the pile where we were working, to mark the spot, and the next morning it would be covered by more stuff.”

                Terrah remembered seeing Amber. She nodded. “I think there is someone who doesn’t want us to remove the pile.” The two boys nodded. “You guys haven’t told anyone else about it have you?” They both shook their heads no. Hoon glanced towards the door. “Who do you think it is?” Terrah pretended to think about it, even though she already had a pretty good idea who. “It is probably Ren or Amber, maybe even both.” Hoon clapped his hands together. “Oh! They are the ones placed here by Jonghyun’s mysterious guy!”

                Terrah shushed him as Kwangmin looked confused. Hoon quickly explained everything to the single twin. Kwangmin just looked at the two of them. “Our leader really is an idiot sometimes isn’t he…” Terrah and Hoon burst out laughing. It was sad if the slower twin came to that conclusion. She smiled and nodded. “I think he is just a very innocent person.” Hoon nodded in agreement.

                There was suddenly another knock on her door. Everyone stared at it. Kwangmin got up to answer it, expecting it to be Youngmin. He stood at the door shocked. Amber was standing there.

                She looked into the room. “Oh! Terrah! There you are! I’ve been looking for you all day. I am going to go get more food. I was wondering if you would come with me so that you can fix the cart if it shorts out again.” Hoon and Kwangmin both looked at Terrah worried. Amber just started laughing. “You two look like I just told her I was going to eat her face or something.”

                Terrah and Ren were the only ones to laugh. Terrah smiled at the boys and looked at Amber. “Yeah, sure. Let’s go.” It would be weird for her to refuse. She was her connection to this place. Terrah pushed the two boys out of her room as she slid her shoes on. The boys just stood awkwardly in front of Ren’s desk as they watched the two girls walk away.

                Amber led her towards the kitchen, but passed by it and opened a door next to it. “This is the way to get outside. I dunno if Jonghyun showed you this.” The tomboyish girl explained. Terrah shook her head. “Yeah, he didn’t tell me about it. I thought that I would have to jump on those cranes again.” Amber laughed. “I can’t jump those and carry all that food with me. This is the way that we bring in supplies.” They passed two big metal doors that had large locks on them. “What’s in there?”

                The younger girl smiled. “One is the fridge and the other is the freezer. We keep them locked because we can’t see back here from the kitchen.” Terrah nodded. They reached another large metal door at the end of the hallway and Amber opened it. Both girls covered their eyes. It had been about a week since either had seen the actual sun. Terrah felt the heat and remembered that they were in the construction district.

                She followed Amber to her refrigerated truck and saw the hover cart in the back as she checked the back to make sure she had everything. They both got into the front of the truck and Amber headed off towards the market they had met in. Terrah was starting to feel nervous. There were lots of places in the deserted construction equipment and rocks that people could hide. “Amber, have you ever seen anyone just hanging around out here? There is so much space but at the same time, lots of places to hide.” She just laughed. “Nah, no one is ever out here. It does get kind of boring all by myself. I’m glad you came with me.”

                Suddenly both of their front tires burst and Amber swerved and almost ran into a cliff side. “THE HELL??!?!” Amber screamed as she leaned out her window and checked the tires. She kept swearing under her breath as she got out to check on the tires. “Stupid rocks! Terrah, I need your help to change these tires.”

                Terrah got out slowly and looked around. There weren’t any signs of rocks that could have made the tires burst. She scanned all around them. She couldn’t see anything. She crouched down next to Amber and investigated one of the tires. There were many slices, almost as if they drove over a spike strip. “Amber, does this happen often?” She shook her head. “First time that two went out at once. I will go see if there are any spares in the back.” Terrah nodded and stayed on guard. Something was wrong here.