Chapter 2

Missing

 

                Terrah got a closer look at the police officers, they seemed to be academy students or just out of the academy. The three boys looked over her badge. The shortest one with curly blonde hair looked at her in awe. “You are a real time agent?!” She laughed and nodded. The boy next to him with a brown bowl cut elbowed him. “AO, we are on duty remember? Be professional.”

                The boy called AO sighed and nodded. The third boy with purplish tinted hair grinned. “I’m sorry about AO. This is his first time on duty. My name is Jonghyo but I’m called J-HYO. The little one there is Hyunsoo or AO.” The blonde boy waved. J-HYO continued. “And this is Junyoung or Jun. We are late to work and it’s our first big case. We were told that we might not even be qualified to work it. We are on our way to be briefed.”

                She nodded. “What kind of case is it?” Terrah was qualified for all non-military police work. J-HYO shrugged his shoulders. Jun spoke up. “Someone is missing.” She looked confused. Rookie police were qualified to work missing people cases, unless it was a suggested serial killer case. The blonde one noticed her confusion and leaned in to whisper to her “They think a cult took him. That’s all we know.”

                Terrah was now very curious. There weren’t many known cults now days. “Would you boys mind if I came with you?” She really didn’t want to sit alone at home for a month. She figured a free-lance case would be a good way to socialize. The boys looked excited and nodded. AO whispered to Jun “She is a real BTSA agent! This is so cool!” She laughed. BTSA time agents were seen as one of the more awesome jobs like a spy or something and she wished her job was really as awesome as everyone thought it was.

                J-HYO started asking her questions. “So what’s your name?” She smiled. “I’m Terrah Hammerstrom.” The three of them stared at her in awe. AO gasped. “THE Terrah Hammerstrom, the top of her class? Only surpassed by Commander Woo Sangsoo?!” She laughed awkwardly. They apparently went to the BTSA academy that she had graduated from. It seems that their reputations were still there, even five years later. “Yeah, that’s me.”

                The train played a ding sound over the intercom, announcing their stop. AO excitedly grabbed her arm and dragged her over to the door with them. “You will definitely be able to help us!” The train car landed on the ground and she followed the boys to their station. She took note that the patches on their backs that say what city sector their station belongs to said LC9. This was a station near the outskirts of the city, one of the least funded stations. It wasn’t a surprise to her that they might not be qualified for this case.

                J-HYO opened the station door and AO and Jun ran in excitedly. AO started yelling “RASA!! WE’RE HERE!” A tall man came from behind a swinging door and one of the doors almost fell off. He sighed and just ripped it off the rest of the way and dropped it on the desk closest to him, officially scaring the crap out of the officer sleeping on the desk. The sleeping boy fell to the floor and rubbed his head which had blonde hair standing straight up. Terrah raised an eyebrow.

                The man she assumed to be Rasa came over to the young boys who had brought her and hit AO upside the head. “You are loud. This is a police station and you are all late.” He noticed her standing there. “Who are you? Can I help you? Do you have a complaint about one of these three?” She shook her head no as she pulled out her badge again. “I am agent Terrah Hammerstrom. These boys think I can be of assistance in your missing person’s case?” The man with white hair nodded while looking over her badge. “I’ve heard of you. Let’s get you all briefed on the case.”

                He led them through the swinging doors, which now only had one door, and yelled behind him. “King! You come too!” The boy who had been sleeping came running after them. He led them into an office with a conference table and a white board. Terrah was surprised they still had one of those. Most stations had smart boards that would keep all the case information for them.

                She sat in one of the chairs around the table as Rasa handed her a paper file. “Umm…” she said as Rasa sighed. “Yeah, we have very low funding here. They haven’t given us enough money to upgrade anything. We are a thousand years behind. They can time travel, but not give us enough money to get a smart board.” She nodded as she looked over the file.

                Another man came in, this one had a brown faux hawk and his ears pierced. Rasa grinned. “E.Den, did they agree to lend us someone qualified for undercover work or even just a detective?” E.Den groaned and sat in the chair. “No, they said they wouldn’t provide us with one, but if we can find one willing to do it, they will allow it.” Rasa nodded and looked over at the only girl in the room. “You are qualified to do pretty much anything right, Ms. Hammerstrom?” She nodded and tried not to smile at E.Den and Kings’ reaction to her.

                Rasa began explaining the case. “Mrs. Yeo and her oldest son Hoonbi came in last night and said that Hoonmin has been missing for over a week. Hoonbi thinks that he was taken by that cult that gets spotted in the market and construction areas. We aren’t sure if they really took him or if he joined them. As you all know, we have little to no info on this cult. The government doesn’t believe it as a threat and won’t give us funding to investigate them. We also don’t have the man power to storm in and raid them without any evidence or even knowing where they are based.” Terrah listened intently as she read the file with the families’ statement.

                Rasa smiled at her. “Terrah, you are qualified to investigate them for us. Would you be willing to help us find Hoon?” She nodded. “I am on a month leave right now. That should be more than enough time to find him.” Rasa relaxed in his seat. “Then everyone besides E.Den and Terrah are to get back to work.” The younger boys all left and went back to their desks.

                E.Den leaned forwards on the table. “Why am I still here?” Rasa turned to write on the board. “You will be her contact. She will have to go undercover to find him.” Terrah cleared . “Usually while undercover in cases like this, there isn’t supposed to be any contact with other agents or police.” Rasa nodded. “Yes, I know. You will only contact him once you get in so we will know that you are safe. We do have a few people who we know are members of the cult that come out into public for supplies. We don’t know where the cult is or what they do exactly, but we do know that people routinely go missing and join them. It is always teenagers or people in their twenties.”

                Terrah nodded. “Then what makes this Hoonmin so special?” E.Den opened the file in front of him. “His family is the only rich family left in our sector. Mrs. Yeo and her oldest son Hoonbi are trying hard to bring this area back from the bottom. Hoonmin, who goes by Hoon, has always been a part of that as well. It makes no sense for him to join this cult of his own freewill. His mother thinks that they might be trying to get money from him, even though she hasn’t received any demands.” She nodded again. “Understood, so I need to infiltrate this cult and search for Hoon without letting the people around me know what I’m doing.” They two men nodded. Rasa smiled “Also, if you would be willing to take notes on everything you see as well, that would be very helpful for us. We need more information about this group and what their aims are. We don’t have a de-briefing machine so you will have to write down your notes the old fashioned way.” She nodded.

                “So when am I to start my mission?” E.Den passed all the files to her. “I will find out where the known members will be tomorrow and we will get you to meet them, but for now, take these files home and read it. You will need to be prepared tomorrow.” She nodded and grabbed the files and put them into her backpack. “Then, if you will excuse me, I have a lot of prepping to do.” She smiled at them and left the room.

                E.Den looked at Rasa. “Is that seriously Terrah? Did you check her badge?” Rasa nodded. “Yeah, that’s really her.” E.Den nodded and looked at the door. “It’s a shame that time agents aren’t supposed to have relationships.” Rasa threw a marker at the back of his head. E.Den rubbed his head and turned to look back at the older man. They both burst out laughing.

                Terrah got back on the shuttle and went back home. She sighed in front of her door as she opened the thumbprint scanner and unlocked her door. The lights all as she walked in. She dropped her bag on the table in the living room and went straight to her room. She plopped on her bed and sighed. She always felt weird when at home. She was always with someone on missions, but when she was home, she was alone. She wasn’t even connected to a ship and being monitored. Most people feel free and relaxed at home, she just felt lonely.

                She looked over at her dresser and saw the framed picture from when she was at the academy. Woosang had his arm around her shoulders and next to them was one of their best friends, Daniel Chae. He had disappeared during his first mission, along with his partner. That was the event that caused Terrah and Woosang to put each other down on their contact information. They weren’t able to find out about his disappearance for almost a year after it happened.

                She smiled at the picture and reached into her backpack for her phone. She stuck the tiny ear piece in and tapped it. “Call Woosang.” She commanded. It started ringing and went to his answer machine. “I am in a meeting. Please leave a message.” She hung up and put the earpiece back. She grabbed a bracelet out of her top drawer and straightened it out. A keyboard showed on it as a tiny screen popped up in the air. ‘I made it home. I met up with a group of police who need my help with a missing person’s case. I’m helping them. It’s another undercover mission.’ She sent it to Woosang.

                Terrah stripped off her clothes and went to take a shower. She finished and came back into her room and she had three new texts. She smiled and got dressed in an old worn oversized white t-shirt that reached almost to her knees and a pair of black pajama shorts. She ruffled up her wet hair and let it air dry. She grabbed the bracelet and the ear piece and a pair of black framed glasses and sat on the floor in her living room.

                She got another text before she had even checked the three she already had. She laughed and rested her back against the front of the couch as she put her legs under the table. She read her texts. They were all from Woosang. ‘You are on vacation…’ ‘Why are you working?! You are always butting in to things you don’t need to help with…’ she scoffed at that message. He was the one butting in all the time. ‘I guess you wouldn’t be you if you weren’t doing something. Do you want me to help?’ She didn’t want him to help her with something like this. She was more than capable of doing it herself. The last text said ‘My boss says I can’t help you T^T I have to go on another mission. It’s only a week long mission though.’

                Terrah laughed and texted back ‘Haha! I don’t need your help anyways. The police are all cute boys where it is anyways, I won’t miss you.’ She grinned. She loved teasing him. She sent the message as she spread out the files on the table in front of her and the TV, causing a screen to project out of her entertainment center. She didn’t care what was on, she just wanted the noise.

                Suddenly her house phone was ringing. She smirked “Answer Call” she said and the TV screen suddenly had Woosangs face on it. “Yes? Can I help you?” She said pushing up her glasses and purposely not looking up from the files in front of her. Woosang was pouting. “You! Why bother having a couch if you constantly sit on the floor? Also, who are these cute boys?? What sector is it in?” She held back a smile. “Sector LC9. They are severely underfunded, but they make up for it with the amount of cute male officers.”

                Woosang suddenly went quiet. She looked up curiously. “What’s wrong?” He smiled. “Why do you do that?” She tilted her head to the side, confused. “You puff out your cheeks or stick out your tongue when concentrating. Those glasses don’t help either.” She started laughing. “It only affects you because you are an easy man.” He pointed at her. “Take that back! I am not easy!” she laughed and stood up. The screen disconnected from the base and followed her to her kitchen.

                He was once again quiet. She opened the fridge and groaned and looked over her shoulder at Woosang, who was obviously staring at her. “Woosang! I forgot to get food, order me something?” He snapped his attention back. “Why are you wearing that shirt?” she looked down at it and smiled. “You recognize it?” He nodded. “Of course I do. It’s mine.” She nodded and smiled. “I only have two different shirts I sleep in when I’m home. This one or Daniel’s academy training shirt…”

                He smiled and nodded. “I see. But why aren’t you wearing pants?” She laughed at him. “I’m wearing shorts! I don’t walk around under your shirt!” He laughed and looked around; making sure no one could see or hear him. “You used to.” Terrah walked back to the living room and sat back in her spot and started looking over the files again. “So, why did you call?” He laughed. “You said you were going to work a case, I want to know about it.”

                She laughed and looked at him over the frame of the glasses “It’s not because I said the police boys were cute?” He blushed a bit and shook his head. “Of course not! Now tell me about the case.”

                The screen moved over next to her so that Woosang could see the files as she was looking over them. The two of them came up with a plan of attack. She would join the cult and act as a real member and would do everything in her power to gather information from anyone who knew anything.

                After a few hours, Woosang suddenly said “If you have to seduce anyone for information, I give you permission.” Terrah looked at him confused. “Why do I need your permission?” He grinned. “You don’t need it. Just in case you thought that if you seduced anyone on the job, it would affect us, it won’t.” She just looked at him grumpy. “We aren’t together.” Woosang pouted. “I know that.”

                Someone yelled for Woosang angrily and he said bye quickly and hung up. Terrah just laughed. That man acted like they were married or something.

                She stayed up till 1am, memorizing all the files and even looking up the maps and locations of everything in the LC9 sector. She set her alarm for 6am and quickly fell asleep.

                Her alarm started buzzing and she woke up instantly. She automatically went to attack the noise but realized that she was home and that was only an alarm and not a predator. She shook her head as she got ready to go back to the station. She kept reminding herself that she was home now. Nothing was trying to eat her.

                She quickly packed her bag and left. On the shuttle, she ran into E.Den. “Good morning E.Den.” She said as he jumped and turned around. It seemed like he was still half asleep. “Oh, Terrah. Good morning. Did you read all the files?” She nodded as he yawned, trying to wake up.

                At the station, she and E.Den sat in the conference room alone, waiting for Rasa. E.Den had fallen asleep on the table, using a stack of papers as a pillow. Terrah started writing all of her plans on the white board while waiting. Eventually Rasa came in with coffee and E.Den sat up without opening his eyes and reached out his hand. Rasa put a cup in his hand as he walked past him to see what Terrah was writing on the board.

                He handed her a coffee and read over her mission plans. “I like it. I see why you were the top of your class. This is very thorough.” She nodded and smelled the coffee. Rasa smirked “I didn’t poison it.” She smiled “Sorry, it’s a habit.” He nodded and went over the plans again. “E.Den, did you look over this?” E.Den looked up from his coffee and blinked a couple times. “What?”

                Rasa sighed. “Come over here and read this.” The sleepy boy got up and read the board and suddenly woke up. “You are going to stay undercover even if you find Hoon just to research the cult?” She nodded and drank her coffee. “You guys need information on them to see if they are a threat or not.” Rasa nodded. “She has a point. We know she is able to do this. I have something to change though.”

                Terrah and E.Den both looked at the older man. “I know it’s against protocol, but I want you to somehow contact us at least once a week.” She thought for a moment. “I have ways of hiding phones that never get found.” They nodded. E.Den sighed “I was up all night tracking the girl who is in the cult. She will be in the market district at 11am to noon.” He hung a picture up on the board. “Her name is Amber. She looks like a boy most of the time but she isn’t hard to miss. She is rather excitable.” E.Den continued to brief her about the girl she was supposed to approach.

                A while later E.Den and Terrah arrived at the market district. Terrah placed her tiny phone ear piece in her ear. “Call E.Den” He nodded as he answered his own ear piece. They separated ways to search for Amber. “Can you see her?” E.Den mumbled, so that the people around couldn’t hear him. “Not yet.” Terrah replied as she tried to blend in and scan faces.

                E.Den suddenly laughed, taking the chance to cover his mouth and talk freely. “I found her. She is clinging to a man’s leg. I’m near the vegetables.” Terrah made a direct route to the area where E.Den found her. As soon as Terrah got a visual on Amber, E.Den left. “I’m leaving the rest to you.” She heard him hang-up on her.