8

That Summer

My eyelids lifted and closed, catching the early morning sun rays bathing the room in faint yellow. Burying deeper into the pillow and my own hair, my nose caught the familiar peach scent that was easily overtaken by a strong aroma of food that drifted from downstairs into the room through the creak of the door. Is this how it’s like to have someone preparing breakfast for you every morning? The faint ticking sound of the clock from the nightstand lulled me back into sleep instead of waking me up, but then the soft creaking sound from the wooden flooring was heard. Later on, the left side of the bed was slumped downward with a pressure exerting on it.

 

            The citrus scent has already given out the identity of the person in the room and my lips curled in satisfy when I caught the faint toast scent. Opening my eyes I saw nothing but my own messily tangled up hair, then my hair was brushed away and I was looking straight at the three words that were printed on the white tee – 'I bite hard.’ The hand that lifted my hair away from my face came back to caress my exposed cheek, I automatically leaned into its warm touch.

 

“You went into the woods again?”

 

 We both know I was asking the obvious since the smell of the woodsy-mossy mix of the forest still lingered on the owner of the hand, so there was no reply.

 

            Almost dozing off again with the comfortable caressing, a voice broke the peaceful silence in the room, announcing the end of my slumber.

 

“You’re becoming lazy.”

 

 Reluctantly, I opened my eyes and they found their own way to the brown topaz orbs.

 

“And you’re becoming such a pester.” Purposely dragging the ‘r’ sound, he was rolling his eyes.

 

Come on, breakfast is ready.”

 

With that, he was out of the room within seconds, leaving myself in the bed, being wrapped in a blanket. Be lucky that you have such nice voice, or else I would have thrown you out of the house because of the constant nagging.

 

            Stretching my still sleeping body, I finally let my feet touch the floor and made my way to the bathroom to freshen up for a new day. Applying the shampoo into my palm, I couldn’t help but to think of the event that happened weeks ago. Bogsung-a, to think that his first word is that. I’m not sure why, but somehow recently everything revolved around the ‘Peach’ word. First, that was the first word Kyungsoo said. Second, with the peach scent being my favourite and surprisingly his too. Third, Kyungsoo was obsessed with peach fruits. Lastly, the unfinished song from several weeks ago was now completed, entitled ‘Peach’.

 

            Though, he started to talk, nothing seemed to be easier than what I thought it will be, especially when he knew how to talk back to you when beforehand he could only listen and obey, or just occasionally whining, Oh how I miss those times… these were the moments I wished he did not know how to talk. Remembering how at first I was determined to know about Kyungsoo’s past, it did not seem to matter much now. I mean, just let the past be, after all, you can’t change them so why not just focus on the present. Eventually I gave up asking those numerous questions that have been haunting my mind, though sometimes I would still wonder if his past can somehow let me understand more of the mysterious journal.

 

            Speaking of the journal, I finally made out the words at the corner of the sketch and getting a chill was my first reaction when the coincidence was too much to be one. Ren… Maybe the old woman in that stationary store knew about this journal? Slipping into a sundress and wiping my damp hair, my eyes glanced towards the journal that was left lying on the armrest of the wooden chair.

 

❈❈❈

 

  

 

            “Morning~”

 

            I sang out and with immediate reaction my stomach growled at the sight of breakfast on the dining table. Itching to have the taste in my saliva filled mouth, my hand reached out for it only to be smacked by another hand.

 

 “What’s that for?” I asked with a scowl, tearing my gaze from the tempting toast and fixed it on the male in front of me.

 

            “Second warning, please clean up your room, I feel like I am in a mine field every time I go in, avoiding those clothes that are scattered everywhere.” Oh boy, here he goes again..

 

            He, the ‘weird’ boy I met several weeks ago or to be exact Kyungsoo, did not only learned to talk back. He seemed to have developed Mysophobia.. Okay, maybe not to that extent, He couldn’t stand to have a mess in the house. (a.k.a my room) Believe it or not, ever since Kyungsoo got crazy over the cleanliness, doing chores diligently that I came to the solution no longer I need to have the maid, meaning no more hide and seek between Kyungsoo and the maid whenever she comes, which was a good thing but he would not clean in silence unlike the maid, he will make a fuss of my room whenever it’s messy.

 

            As much as his verbal torment plagued me, deep down in my heart, what he did actually give me a sense of warmth because he let me experienced what it’s like to have a motherly figure that so often I got to hear from the classmates, complaining about their own mothers or fathers for whatever they did to them when the actions were all as a matter of fact, out of affection. They always take things for granted, not knowing to appreciate…

 

“Are you listening?” I snapped back from my own world and a wide grin formed on my face.

 

“Aye, aye Soo~” Already starting to munch on the long awaited toasts, Kyungsoo gave me an annoyed look hearing upon my nickname for him just recently, which I dismissed his displeasure with a mere shrug and continued on my breakfast.

 

            Only after I had my stomach filled, I noticed Kyungsoo still has the sour look on and a tinge of guilt poking me somewhere in my heart. Clearing my throat, I began to clear the table and did the dishes while he stood beside me with a towel in his hand to dry the washed plates. After moments of silence, his expression was still the same and it began to trouble me, so I bumped him with my side, attempting to divert his attention from sulking.

 

            “Yah...” Whipping my head at him after several times of bumping into him and not getting any reaction, he slowly turned to look at me with his duck face on. The irritation of being ignored was quickly replaced by guilt when he clearly was upset.

 

 “Something wrong?” Trying to sound as nonchalant as possible while inside, I was racking my brain, replaying everything happened earlier that possibly upset him.

 

            “Nothing, take your pill.” He curtly replied and left straight away after drying the last plate, leaving me slightly dumfounded with his unusual unresponsive attitude.

 

❈❈❈

 

  

 

            Sitting on the floor in the living room, I was peeking Kyungsoo from the corner of my eyes while pretending to be engrossed in the book I was supposedly reading. My shoulders slumped in disappointment when he had a bored look on while half-heartedly checking out the camera I gave to him just now. Did I really do something that bad? Usually he will be very ecstatic whenever I showed him something new but now his reaction was not at all what I expected.

 

            “Hey, Kyungsoo.” I started, but not continuing until he looked at me after long dragged moments.

 

          “I’m not sure why I gave you the name Kyungsoo, but I found out it suited you really well.” I paused again, silently hoping his comment between my long pauses that never came.

 

            “From the naming book I read, it said that with the name of ‘Kyungsoo’ usually either telling or showing someone how to do something properly, which I think it’s precisely the truth.”

 

            While again, not having any response from him, I began to blabber anything that was on my mind, even telling him I liked him being a motherly figure to me. As I ran out of things to say, I can only stare at the floor, boring holes into them. I already cleaned up my room, even arranging the clothes according to type and colour, well not exactly as precise as him, but still… Swallowing a big sigh, I was about to retreat but then Kyungsoo spoke.

 

            “So then you mean I’m not manly, doing those feminine work.” I blinked, as I tried to absorb completely what he had just said and panic rose in me. Man.. manly?

 

            “No, No! I did not mean that, I mean.. You are VERY manly!” Not wanting to upset him further, I went as far as showing two thumbs at him, trying hard to convince him I was being truthful, though a small voice at the back of my head was wondering where did he learned the ‘manly’ word and why did he care about this.

 

            I was not sure, but I think he smirked before quickly returning to his bored expression, leaving me questioning whether I just made a fool of myself.

 

            “I’m going into the woods.” Kyungsoo said in a flat tone, but to me it seemed to demand, so with no hesitation I followed too, only to be stopped for a brief moment when he spoke again.

 

            “Bring your guitar along to.”

 

❈❈❈

 

The forest was lively with the humming buzz of the insects and sweet melody from the birds, though most of the blazing rays of the hot sun were blocked by the pine forest, it was still undeniably torrid and already feeling the scorching sensation on my exposed skin. If it wasn’t because I was still trying to prevent upsetting Kyungsoo, the sarcastic remarks that were on the tip of my tongue like “It’s a wonder my guitar has not yet burnt from the heat.” Or “Are you inviting me to a feast of roasted wolf meat, if yes, please don’t cause myself is going to be roasted too.” And so on would have already spurred out.

 

            But my patience was never my strong point, especially when I was feeling hot and sticky, so eventually I gave up and sat down on the protruded roots of the huge pine tree.

 

            “I don’t know what I did or what is your problem, I’m pretty much famished, so I’m not walking further!”

 

            I finished in one breath and leaned onto the rough texture of the tree trunk. Closing my eyes to get ready of the expected burst out from him, instead of angry words, all I heard were the sounds of the forest.

 

            He did not just leave me alone in this mass of green..  I gulped at that thought, for I was not confident in finding my way around in this sea of words and risked opening an eye. I was relieved when I spotted Kyungsoo’s back, but getting confused when I saw his shoulders trembling and hunched. Is he okay..? I began to stand up, worrying as the flashback of his pale face and having cold sweats during the trip to the market appeared in my mind, but I stopped abruptly when I heard the familiar sound from him. My already flushed cheeks from the immense heat warming up further not because of the increase in temperature but rather my flared up temper.

 

            “Did you - I just make a fool of myself! UGH!”

 

            I ventured out my frustration by a weak kick of stones and dust instead of charging at the detestable person in front because I will end up hurting myself if I hit him. Stomping my way back to the direction we came from, I grabbed my guitar and wanted to go anywhere except nearing him. Sometimes, I really can just forget that he was ‘special’ so I squeaked out in surprise when I felt myself being lifted up in a quick motion. Hissing out in pain when the neck of the guitar that was strapped to the back of my body hit my scapula, I closed my eyes to stop the dizziness and feeling the throbbing shoulder while registering what had happened.

 

            “Sorry about that, does it still hurt?”

 

            A hand slipped between the guitar and my shoulder, gently massaging the painful spot. I grunted in response, edging my face to the right, Kyungsoo’s big round eyes were staring into mine. I always wonder if my eyes were as big as his, will they always give out the puppy eyes effect just like his were doing at the moment, melting my anger away in a matter of seconds.

 

            “I didn’t mean to fool you around, I just wanted to kind of tricking you in accompanying me coming here since I knew you are not willing to do so.”

 

            I pursed my lips and wriggled just to simply annoy him, but that action of mine caused me to fall down from his shoulder. My heart dropped when I felt myself falling with my back facing the ground. The guitar! However, everything became still the moment I was being pulled up by a strong force and my face hit something hard.

 

           “You okay? Aish, don’t be so reckless, what if you break your guitar, and most importantly, what if you hurt yourself?” This moment gave me a sense of nostalgia because something similar happened before in the same place only this time my saviour was talking non-stop unlike what happened at the first time.

 

            “Why aren’t- what’s this smell? You’re bleeding!” Though my nose was in hell of pain, I laughed when I saw Kyungsoo torn between should he clean up my bleeding nose or the blood stained white shirt of his (knowing very well I dislike him staining his shirt)

 

            “Aish, why are you still laughing? We need to clean you up with water, there’s a river nearby.” Positioning me on his back, he moved swiftly and fast between the trees and in no time we really did reach a gleaming river.

 

  He unstrapped the guitar and moved me to the side of the river, scooping up the clear liquid up to my still bleeding nose.

 

            “I don’t think it’s broken, I didn’t hear any cracking sound. So, why must you move when I was carrying you? What if-” Covering his mouth with my hand, he finally stopped talking.

 

“You know from the naming book again, it stated ‘Kyungsoo’ tends to worry a lot.” Seeing how a frown formed between his eyebrows, I quickly continued my sentence.

 

“But I like it.”

 

❈❈❈

 

            “Woah..” I couldn’t close my mouth seeing upon the sight before my eyes.

 

            “I know, that’s why I want to bring you here.”

 

            Just by hearing his reply I could already sense the big smirk hanging on his mouth but the scene was indeed breathtaking. Just three simple colours had been enough to make this meadow a magnificent place to be at, with the whites of dandelion covering most of the green matted ground and a little bit of yellow daffodils here and there made the clearing in the middle of pine forest stood out.

 

            “So what are you waiting for?” Kyungsoo snapped me out of my admiral at the place and hung the guitar he has been holding on a sturdy branch of the tree beside him. I cocked my head at him, not fully grasping the meaning behind his question.

 

            “Tag!” He poked my forearm and ran off, leaving me looking wide eyed at his sudden start of the game.

 

            “Not fair!” I yelled out as I ran after him as fast as I could, further annoyed by him when he turned around and began snapping pictures with the camera that I failed to notice he had been carrying until now.

 

❈❈❈

 

            “Master, we caught on his scent.”

 

           “Good, track him down and bring him to me.”

 

           “As you wish, Master.”

 

           Amidst the pack of the furry, dog-like but in enormous size creatures, one of them stood on its hind legs, head facing towards the sky, it gave out a loud howling sound. As soon as the howling sound came to a stop, the pack of creatures immediately took their depart, all heading in one certain direction in union, towards the direction where grey clouds looming in the corner of the blue sky.

 

 -A/N-

Finally, I updated T,T haha enjoy~ sorry if my writing skill is a bit rusty... ><

Isn't she pretty? :)

I just love his new hairstyle so much.. <3

*BTW anyone watching 'You're The Best Lee Soon Shin"? haha I miss the drama so much, while my mum at home keep on watching it from line.

OMG! D.O. AND IU AT THE SAME TIME! *FAINT*