12

That Summer

           “Jieun, are you sure about this?” Kyungsoo looked out through the tinted window where the scene outside was all in a blur as the car was speeding up on the road. I hummed in response, not really paying attention to him at the moment since I was looking at the electronic gadget in my hands that was showing various kinds of hairstyles for boys. “Jieun..” My heart skipped a beat as I recognized that tone that he used when…he kissed me.

            The image of him on top of me claiming my lips and the way his lips moving in such a sensual and gentle way as if my lips were a piece of candy… I blushed when the flashback from that night invaded into my mind, again. “Don’t.. don’t worry. I reserved the salon as well as the boutiques we are going.” Flustered that myself stuttered, I cleared my throat and avoided Kyungsoo’s confused look, keeping the eyes back on the tab.

            A notification popped out from above, stating the recent news from the news application I’ve subscribed to. Another dead body was found. Suspect(s) is never found..? I frowned at the title but before my curiosity got the better of me, the car stopped, announcing the arrival at the destination. I clicked my tongue in dissatisfaction as I climbed out of the car with Kyungsoo following behind. “Tell me, Kyungsoo. Do you have a good taste in choosing hairstyle?”

            Stepping into the faint chemical-filled scent salon, Seungho and his fellow assistants immediately came to the entrance and bowed. “Welcome miss.” I nodded at them and went straight to the reserved booth for VIP customers. “I don’t like the smell of this place.” Kyungsoo murmured into my ear, causing my body to tingle and I could already feel the heat that was creeping up to my cheeks. I cleared my thought, Get a grip, Jieun! “I know, seeing how you scrunched your nose so often, but do bear with it for a while, okay?”

            Kyungsoo looked at me with his gentle pair of eyes and squeezed my hand, giving me the okay sign and I smiled in appreciation. A cough was heard from behind and I rolled my eyes, turning around to see Seungho crossed his arms and leaned on the wall. “How big difference from the greeting just now, huh.” I mimicked his earlier, polite greeting. ‘Good morning, miss’ which I earned a playful glare from Seungho and also a hard pinch on the right cheek.

            I smacked Seungho’s hand away, but when I felt a tighten grip on my other hand, I turned to look at Kyungsoo.  He was wearing a dark expression. Uh-oh “Kyungsoo, sit down here, you will get your hair wash.” Pushing him down on the leather chair, I saw how his expression brightened up from the reflection of the mirror just at the mention of washing his hair. “You’re going to wash my hair?” A loud sniff was heard as my eyes twitched to ignore the one who made the sound and went on to gather Kyungsoo’s long fringe, forming a small coconut tree on his head. “Do you want me to?” His eyes twinkled and I sent a look to Seungho that was hanging his mouth open before stumbling away to get what I needed.

            “Seriously?” I jumped at the sudden voice in my ear, choking on the water I was drinking. “Seriously! Seungho, don’t whisper into my ear!” After recovering from my coughing, I ‘patted’ his not-so-firm stomach which he held his stomach and looked at me with faked teary expression. “That hurts!” “Whatever, Seungho. Have you thought of any hairstyle that suited him?” Walking back to the booth, Kyungsoo was sitting there, reading a book. He raised his head to look at me in the mirror when I stepped in. “The thing in my hair smell really awful.” I chuckled as I picked up a strand of his slimy hair that was covered n treatment cream before settling down on the chair beside him.

            “Just bear for another minute, then we can wash it away. So Seungho?” I noticed how Kyungsoo would stiffened up whenever Seungho was near but I pretended not to see it. “I do have one in mind, but it’s all up to the one who’s going to have a haircut.” In a spur moment, I switched on the hair dryer; Seungho gave me a puzzled look. “Seungho, I will just wash his hair. Do I need to dry up his hair as well?” Seungho gave me another dubious look before settling on his shrugging. “Yeah, whatever you say, Eun. Just dry up his hair with towel, I need his hair to be damp when I cut it.” I was grateful when Seungho took his leave, leaving the two of us in the booth. I put back the hair dryer in its rightful place before turning to a certain person.

            “Says the one who growled at someone when only fifteen minutes ago he worried about exposing his identity.” I began to lead him to the rinsing area while Kyungsoo frowned and pouted. “I don’t like him and why did he call you ‘Eun’?” I blinked while washing his hair halfheartedly, then I chuckled as I realized what was bothering him. “Don’t tell me you’re jealous.” For a few seconds, only the splashing water sound was heard, then he spoke, with a very low voice. “Wolves are possessive.”

             My fingers stopped massaging his hair for a second before continuing back, as if nothing happened. “Are you scared?” He softly murmured, and looked at me with his brown eyes that reflected sadness. “..I’ve known Seungho for quite a time, he is my friend, a brother which I never thought I could have. He’s the only one that knows me the best..well not the only one anymore..” I smiled faintly and turned off the water, wrapping a towel onto Kyungsoo’s head. “You understand me well too, maybe even more than Seungho.”

            After my brief explanation and a tad of compliment, Kyungsoo’s mood turned better and he tried to be as polite as possible towards Seungho too. Sitting on the couch, I let them continue on with their business until I felt a slight shaking on my shoulder; unknowingly, I had dozed off. Kyungsoo called my name this time and I was awake. “Jieun! How’s my hair?” “Huh?” I groggily stood up, vision not yet clear as I walked closer towards the two to examine Kyungsoo’s new hairstyle. “..Wow..” My mouth rounded, eyes not leaving Kyungso that had a wide smile on. “Thank you and you owe me meals.” “I’m paying you so why do I still owe you meals?” I retorted back at Seungho’s mischievous remark, then I spun the chair around to get a 360 degree look of Kyungsoo. “Do you need tissue? You know, to wipe off your nose bleed?” Seungho knows me well alright, knowing what to say to annoy me.

            “It has been so long since we sit down together to have a proper meal. So why are you ruining this chance of ours?” Seungho was ranting non-stop on his complain when I had yet to revoke my declination in treating him a meal. “Can you just shut up and take my money so that we can leave?” Seungho knew that I had a strict rule for not owing anyone anything, let it be money or favour, hence I was having a hard time when he refused to take the bills I handed out for him. I snuck a glance at Kyungsoo that was looking intently at the fish tank where various kinds of pretty fishes were swimming inside. “Eun ah. Hmm? Please? IU ahh.” “Fine, fine!” I hissed at him and Seungho was in glee as he finally accepted my notes. “But not today, okay? I still have to bring him to the town.” At that, Seungho frowned and I raised my eyebrow in question.

            “What?”

            “You didn’t know?” Seungho asked me back and I shook my head. “The news and papers have been going at it for almost a month! Didn’t you notice the streets outside?” I looked out of the window and for a few seconds I stared in concentration,then a thought struck me. “Today is weekend and at this kind of time, this area should be crowded with people.” No wonder I felt oddly quiet when this place would normally buzzed with university students or locals that came here to shop in Ehwa (Ehwa Women’s University, the name of the area). “Exactly.” Seungho sighed and ruffled my hair. “You really didn’t know, guess you have too much fun at your summer house.” His tone was a little playful, but he became serious again. “Jieun, people died and quite a number was missing. It has been a month, but we all know the police got nothing. Not even a lead.  Those who died- died weirdly, like they were being killed by animals.” Seungho paused at this and he had his arm around my shoulder. “Well, it’s daylight, so it should be at least better. Take care okay, kid? Call me when you reached home.” Seungho tried to reassure me and hugged me briefly before sending the both of us away.

❈❈❈

            So that’s what about the news title from this morning.. I was about to take out the tablet to read the news and Kyungsoo that had been silent for all this while spoke up. “Something bothering you?” Like they were being killed by animals. “Huh? No, I was just having trouble thinking how should I chose clothes for you.” I laughed but it sounded funny.  Maybe Seungho just thought wrongly, it could be just those mad murderers that killed…I have to see the news. This doesn’t have to be related to him.. I took a look at Kyungsoo and his face still had the worried expression on. “You look really good with your hair up.” I tried to change the topic and fortunately, Kyungsoo beamed, but his face remained the shyness upon my compliment for him. I softened at the sight of that and with sudden courage, I leaned forward; my lips pressed against his smooth cheek. My peck resulted in a small ‘smacking’ sound, but it sounded so loud at that time. As quickly as my bold action came, I shifted back to the other side of the seat, not daring to see his expression. After a while, a hand crept up to mine that was resting on my lap. He pulled it and placed both our hands in the middle seat; fingers intertwined. That might be the best car ride I have ever had.

            Ever since I first met Kyungsoo in the summer house, I knew he looked handsome but now with the stylish hairstyle, much suitable clothes on him, brought him to a higher level of handsomeness. I couldn’t help to be annoyed with the glances that girls threw at him while walking in the mall. “Jieun, I need to go to restroom.” Snapping me out in the midst of giving glares to the girls whom Kyungsoo was oblivious to, I blinked my eyes to register what he just said. “Oh, okay. Here give the person in front of the washroom this and wait for the change. Sorry I only have big notes on me.” Handing him a ten thousand note, I went to sit down on the bench and looked at Kyungsoo’s back until he disappeared into a corner.

            It wasn’t long until Kyungsoo came back again, with a big grin. “Why are you so happy?” I asked and stood up, trying to make a grab at the shopping bags but Kyungsoo took hold of them. “No reason. Going home now?” Raising my eyebrow with him talking in such unnatural cheery voice, I shrugged and began to walk away but pulled back by Kyungsoo. “Can we take a picture together?” He asked so softly that I almost missed out what he said. “Umm, okay sure.” Though not really understanding what’s going on in his head, I still take out my phone and pressed my face against his cheek. “Say kimchi~”

            Right after we snapped a shot, my phone rang and looking at the phone screen, my eyes brightened up. Red is calling.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Such a cute guy then...

To this y... T,T

Back to cuteness again... sigh

Peace out!

And good night~ <3