7

That Summer

Walking casually into the kitchen, I reached for the bottle of aspirin and filled a glass of water. At the corner of my eyes, I could see the maid cleaning in the dining hall. Popping the pill into my mouth, I took a quick gulp of the water and went to the end of the stairs. "Now." I whispered and keeping an eye on the maid that was now carrying cleaning equipment to the porch. Soon I felt a presence beside me. Pointing to the door, Kyungsoo nodded and within seconds he was already out of my sight, leaving the door opened. "I'm going out." I called out and slipped into my sandals, walking down to the path that I've taken only once when I first came here with Red.

            Going down the road and turn left, a bus stop will be there to take us to the small town. I thought back of what the maid has said when I asked her about the town. True enough after taking the left turn and walking straight for moments, there was an old and a small bus stop located at the right side of the road. I frowned as I did not see the figure I expected to be at the bus stop. Nevertheless, I proceeded to cross the road first. Then, there was a slight movement from behind, but before I could even react, I was already pulled back by a strong force. Panicking for a second, I felt my nervousness died down

 the moment I caught onto the familiar peach scent. I elbowed hard in his ribs only to have the hairs on my arms stood up as I felt the dull pain running down to my fingers from my funny bone. Oh my goodness, the ribs are so hard! Rubbing my elbow, I threw a glare to the back and huffed my way to the bus stop for the second time.

            Swinging my legs forth and back as I sat on the bench, I closed my eyes, enjoying the summer breeze while waiting for the arrival of the bus. I have to say it was quite true that nature does make a person happier, I felt that my recent mood had been the best since I lived in this world, but only sometimes to have the person beside me to ruin (a little) it, but the corners of my mouth were twitching as I heard the whining sounds. That's what you get for scaring me and hurting my elbow. I mentally stuck my tongue out to the person beside me that I was ignoring, enjoying how he wanted to get my attention with no success. Feeling my ponytail was loosening, I took off the rubber band, letting my hair fall down completely. I think I love this scent even more now.. Sighing in pleasure as I took in the faint peach scent in my hair that had formed a curtain around my face, I was about to tug my hair to the back of my ear but other hand beat me to it.

            I opened my eyes and with my hair out of my sight, I saw his outstretched hand that was now tugging another loose strand of my hair. Ever so lightly his fingers brushed across my cheeks, but I could still feel the tingles of his warmness that lingered there. Now that he had my attention, the whining stopped and a faint smile was replaced on his mouth. Again, I found my gaze wandered to his mesmerizing pair of eyes, I reached out my hand to brush away his long fringe, allowing myself to take a clearer look at his brown orbs. I've always been proud with my unusual brown irises that was a lot paler than most Asians, but now I was really envious of Kyungsoo's golden brown eyes. They were not striking colours like green or blue, just plain brown colour most people have yet they looked so unique and enhancing when it was Kyungsoo who had them.

            "Girl? Boy?" A rough deep voice jolted me, pulling me out of the brown pools I did not realize I was staring. I turned towards the source of the voice and was a bit surprised to see the bus driver looking at us through the opened door on the bus. "Coming up?" The country accent was very strong that I almost missed what he was saying, but I nodded and began to climb up to the bus, faltering a moment as I turned my head around to look at Kyungsoo that was still sitting in the same place. "Come.." I murmured, and immediately he stood up to follow me up into the bus. Settling down to the window seat, I patted the seat beside mine and he sat down without a second thought. There were only a few elders in the bus dressed in thin farming clothes and some were carrying empty baskets. They cast curious glances from time to time towards us, which I have no problem in ignoring but not for him. I tore my gaze away from the window as I felt a hand slipped into my left one, I could see the nervousness on Kyungsoo's face, clearly uncomfortable with the strangers' glances. "It's okay, I'm here." Very faintly, I whispered and turning back to the view outside while I squeezed his warm hand.

❈❈❈

 

I never expected to have such a crowd in the market place for this place was quite far from the main cities. At the same time, his grip on my hand tightened even more. I patted his cheek, trying to reassure him before turning back to scan the street, finding a path with lesser people. Spotting one on the left, I motioned for Kyungsoo to follow me. After squeezing our way in the crowded street, we reached a back valley with no people around, only a store in the right corner. Making sure he was still holding my hand, I brought him towards the store. To my pleasant surprise it was a stationary store. The place was small and old, but nevertheless I still feel welcomed and wondered why it was dessert. Kyungsoo seemed to relax a little too since he was starting to look around the store with a curious gaze. Considering it was safe enough now, I let go of his hand before going further inside of the shop.

Next to bookstore, stationary store was the second place I loved to shop at. Anything that has to do with papers was already to my likings and I enjoyed buying colourful pens to write or draw during my free time. Only within a few minutes, I was back to the front of the store again after looking around and I noticed the familiar back was facing me, bending a little forward as he reached for something in front. Just when I thought I could surprise him in revenge, he faced me before I could even take a step towards him. He looked at me with a much brighter expression compared to earlier before turning back to see what he was looking.

"You like that?" I saw how he looked at one certain diary with deer coloured cover, a paw in the middle. I picked it up and flipped the diary, satisfied with the quality of the papers and the thickness of the diary, I tucked it under my arm after seeing him nodding. Moving to another side of the shop, I jumped in shock when suddenly an old woman stepped out behind the shelves, looking equally surprised. She stared at me for a moment, but broke into a wide toothless smile afterwards. "Taeyeon? Taeyeon! It's you alright!" I cocked my head in confusion and cast a quick glance behind to see if the old woman was talking to someone behind, but beside myself and Kyungsoo, no one else was in the store. "Where's Ren? Oh? Who is this, Taeyeon?" I was at a loss of words when the old woman kept on addressing me with a name that was obviously not mine and she was now approaching Kyungsoo.

I quickly reached for Kyungsoo and had him behind me before facing the old woman again. "Oh my! Could it be he's your son? Ren-" "Mum!" Another voice was heard and I saw a woman in her late twenties ascended from

 the stairs I did not notice until now. "Oh, sorry! Are you here to buy anything?" The woman quickly bowed to us and ushered the old woman up to the stairs. "Oh daughter, this is my old friend, Taeyeon and her son with her husband Ren-" "Mum, how could such a young girl is your old friend?" The woman cut her mother's words and within seconds both females went upstairs then hushed whispers were heard from above. Who's Taeyeon and Ren? And he's my son? I scoffed at the old woman's ridiculous statement, but straightened myself back when the woman came back down with a flushed face. "I'm sorry, my mother mistook you as someone else. Anyway, what can I help you?"

After the little incident in the stationary store, we left there shortly after purchasing the diary and once again we were back into the crowded street. I made sure to stop by any stores that sold clothing. After rounds of picking out clothes for Kyungsoo, in no time my hands were full of the bags of clothes I bought. I was never fond of buying clothes, but this time was an exception since I was curious to how he will look like with proper male clothes instead of my baggy shirts so I ended up enjoying contemplating and imagining what kind of clothes will suit him. It wasn't until I came across a barber store and thought of giving him a hair cut too. “Kyungsoo, do you want to-” My sentence hung in the air when I fund out he was not following behind me. Panic stricken, I looked around for him, not even caring when I bumped into people when he was the only thing on my mind.

I was annoyed to the maximum when there was a large unmoving crowd and made it impossible for me to squeeze in, let alone with my height to see what was happening in front. I blew my fringe in annoyance as I tried to calm my breath and unknowingly caught the whispers of the people in front.

"Who are those people? Wearing such mysterious clothes.."

"I'm not sure, but they are here for the chief.. could it be it's about those that happened in the city?" I raised my eyebrow as I caught on their hushed conversation. What people? And what happened in the city? Before I could hear further of their conversation, the crowd dispersed suddenly and I focused back to finding Kyungsoo so I just walked straight on the path that was 'conveniently' opened.

Most of the time, I was shifting my head to the right and left, hoping to spot Kyungsoo that might have been distracted by one of the stalls. Which was why, I did not notice a figure was walking towards my direction and I crashed into him. It was so sudden that the impact sent me to the ground, with the contents of my shopping bags sprawled around. I hissed in pain and annoyance as I scraped my palms, so I looked up to the person I bumped into to give a hard glare. Noticing the figure was really tall and wearing a hood that covered most of his face except for the slightly visible sharp chin, he said nothing and only stood still. Picking up the clothes quickly, I stood up and tried to go around the figure that was rooted to the ground, realizing there were two other hooded figures behind the first one. My heartbeat quickened, hoping I did not just crashed into some dangerous people that will cause trouble.

I was about to sigh in relief when I almost passed all those three hooded figures, but the last one grabbed on my forearm so suddenly that I almost tripped but gained back the balance when the cause of the person steadied me now with both of his hands. The first thing I noticed about the stranger was that he had such fair skin and his small full lips that were such a contrast to his piquant chin that had certain manliness. "I'm sorry, I just wanted to ask where did you buy those?" His voice was unexpectedly soft and velvet-like. But still, I raised my eyebrow at his unforeseen question before understanding he was asking about the clothes I bought. I told him the store by the name I first thought of before rushing off to continue looking for Kyungsoo, that has been missing for roughly thirty minutes. Without casting another backward glance to the four mysterious hooded figures.

I was more happy than angry when I finally spotted the familiar raven haired boy standing just beside the fruit stall that was in the corner, a place that was easy to miss. "YAH! You-" I shut my mouth when I saw how pale was Kyungsoo with his eyes dilated as if he went through some hellish situation. "You okay?" I dropped the bags and held his face with both my hands, flinching a little when I felt how cold was his cheeks against my warm palms. He mustered a small smile before pointing to the fruit stall that sold peaches only. I frowned, not really understanding what happened, but I still bought some of the peaches and decided it was time to go back. I turned back to him from time to time to make sure he was still with me.

❈❈❈

 

My anxious for Kyungsoo died down when we were getting nearer to the house. He seemed to have gone back to his cheery mood from earlier, even eating the peach messily during the ride back. "Aish, the juices dripped on the clothes." I mumbled and tried to wipe away the pinkish stains on his white shirt but gave up when the stains stayed there stubbornly. I pinched his round nose and went back to eating my peach, but still I couldn't help to wonder what made him that scared just now at the market. As I sneaked a glance at him, I was caught in the action when he turned to look at me at the same time. My ears and cheeks warmed up from getting caught. Then, I said whatever that was on my mind. As if, I was going to tell him something instead of the truth that I was taking a peek at him. "Bogsung-a." I blurted out and only have him to look at me blankly in return. Clearing my throat, I repeated the words again to make it less awkward. "Bogsung-a, that's how you called this fruit, okay?"Just in time, the bus reached our destined bus stop so I quickly got up, saving myself from the embarrassment.

By the time we reached the house, the maid had already gone back and even prepared dinner that was enough for the two of us, well, maybe just me, Kyungsoo's appetite was still as big as ever. As much as I wanted him to try out the clothes I bought for him, I decided it would be better to have dinner first, because of one thing we have in common, we can never stand to be hungry. The dinner was pleasant with the delicious food and Kyungsoo's chopsticks seemed to have gotten better too. However,  with his progression, I was torn between the feeling of annoyance and being proud of myself. Annoyed was because he succeeded in snatching away the piece of meat when we were fighting for it while feeling proud because I thought I was such a good teacher that he was able to master handling the chopsticks in such a short time.

Also, I liked how he always observes what I was doing, but he would only try to do it too when it came to anything that have to do with cleaning or tidying. So somehow, I've gained myself a helper in doing chores and being such a lazy person, no doubt I was glad when my work has lessened. "Kyungsoo, you know what to do with those, right?" I asked him while gesturing towards the dishes in the sink, he eagerly nodded his head and made his way to the sink. "Don't use too much detergent!" I called out as I climbed up to the stairs, couldn't wait to get into the shower.

❈❈❈

Untangling the locks of my damp hair, I saw him sitting in the living room, burying his head into something. Going closer, I was amused to see him writing simple Hangul alphabets in his newly bought diary. "You sure are hard working." I grinned as I patted his cheeks and picked up another pencil to write some words in the blank space. "There, this is how you write Bogsung-a, the fruit we ate." I explained before plopping down onto the coach and my hand automatically went for the guitar and my notebook that were just beside. Strumming random chords, I saw how he diligently copied 'Bogsung-an' I wrote for him. Then, I opened my notebook and looked at my unfinished song. It was unusual for me to take such a long time to finish a song. Not only so, this song was inspired by the boy that was sitting in front.

After several times of humming and playing the first verse and chorus, I still couldn't able to continue on as if something was blocking my inspiration. As much as I wanted to deny, but I was constantly distracted by the thoughts of him. I would find myself wondering how he would sound like when he sings or if he finally speaks, what would be the first thing he says and so on. Sighing in frustration, I looked everything around in the living room except for him, then my gaze rested on the journal that I did not touch for the past few days. Reaching for it, I skimmed through the pages to empty my mind and once again I stopped at the page of the sketching of the wolf.

At the sight of the drawing, of course, my mind went back to Kyungsoo. There was always this feeling that tells me that in a way, Kyungsoo was related to the wolf. Yet, it seemed too absurd for me to even believe in myself. If only I know what really happened to him the other day, maybe I can find out the connection between him and this journal? It was very suspicious with how the treatments and descriptions of the wounds matched with what Kyungsoo had. Rubbing the edge of the paper, unintentionally I unfolded one of the neatly folded corners of the paper. Hmm? What's this? I peered closely to the faded writings in the corner, trying to make out the words. 'E'? Wait, there's another word before 'E'..'I'? No, it's not 'me'.. Oh! It's 'R'! 'R' and- I whipped my head up in surprise when my ears picked up a speaking voice other than mine.

Not knowing when did he turned around and now facing me, he opened his mouth again, tongue rolling. My mind went blank for a moment, then like a firework, all sorts of emotions and thoughts burst from my inside as I hit my realization. He..He SPOKE!

 

 

 

-A/N-

Hehe..finally Kyungsoo speaks! Try to guess what was his first word? Anyway, about the hooded figures, do you guys have anyone in mind? :)) Oh and, can you guys tell me if the words are too small or anything? :D

Why are you so cute and handsome at the same time? ><