4

That Summer

WARNING : *Umm, slightly bloody?* okay..maybe not that sickening but..haha just continue to read on~ :)

Lee Hi – Special

            I was right when I said unexpected things happen all the time, right again when I said even your own words are not trustable and only half-right with what I’ve expected to see at the door. Yes, I was drenched the moment I opened the door, but other than this, everything was so not what I have in mind. My legs gave me away at the sight of the back of the collapsed person that was covered with bluish and red wounds, the pool of dark blood that was underneath the body did not make the situation better too. The twitching of the fingers and agony sound from the person made it impossible to think this was all imagination so if I don’t want to have a dead person under my responsibility I might as well get my up and save this person as much as I could.

           Strings of profanities flowed out of my mouth as I tried to ignore the copper taste on my tongue and the stench of infected wounds that hit me like a speeding train when I moved the person inside. My stomach probably dropped to somewhere on the ground when the light in the house gave me a clearer look of the injuries, it was not a pretty scene and somehow I found the idea of fainting beside the body was better than treating the bloody wounds. Closing my eyes to stop the dizziness and forcing air into my lungs, I tried to recall the steps of first aid.

           Pre-.. preserve life.. prevent further harm..pro-..pro... Argh damn! What are the stupid steps when I needed them the most? Trying not to falter when I checked the wounds on the back and can already guess the damage at the front, I tried to keep the person awake. For a moment I thought my soul was leaving my body when the person did not react, but to my relief, I could still hear the shallow breathing and managed to see the person blinking his eyes at me before rolling back. Once I saw the familiar brown gold eyes, my mind remembered what I saw in the journal in a heartbeat and I began to act on it. For wolf and human or not, I hope what I read the help.    

           Like I have guessed the first aid kit was in the bathroom and after grabbing all the things I thought I will be using, I rushed down back and shouted whatever at the person to keep him conscious. Oddly enough, the description of the wound in the journal was similar to the person had, bluish, which I suspected the result of dead skin and absence of flowing blood. Clean the wound with cold water, cut away the bluish parts and disinfect it before closing the wound... If what I was going to do was as easy as reciting the steps in my mind, my hands wouldn’t be shaking as hell right now. Gritting my teeth after sterilizing the supposed kitchen knife with fire, I tried to imagine I was actually cutting some imaginary meat. I don’t think I can ever think of eating meat again.. Glad that the person was not thrashing wildly enough to toss me off, but at the same time feeling the anxiety, eating me up alive because the person was losing consciousness as I finished slicing off the last big chunk of bluish flesh.

           Almost tripping when I stood up to get salt and any disinfectant medicine I could find in the first aid kit, my treatments were sloppy and careless since I was loosing the sensation in my fingers. I was more than glad when I can finally hide the bloody mess of the body with the bandage, but the red was spreading fast on the white fabric and I almost had the person mummified when I made sure the blood was not seeping into the bandage. I was sitting down on the floor, waiting for the black spots in my vision to fade away, but then my cheeks flared up when I realized the person was stark . Scrambled up from the ground, I rummaged through my closet, resulting in getting a short sweat pants only. It was very embarrassing when I wondered, should I let him wear any briefs, but I just ended up showing up the pants to his lower body part.

           Things did not get better when I found the person burning with fever. The rain from earlier must have lowered down his temperature temporarily, but now that he was dried, his immense body heat was hard to leave unnoticed. Not even bothering to fill his stomach first, I just let him, gulped down acetaminophen and seeping water to his mouth from time to time. Not wanting his wounds to reopen, I simply used the carpet and several blankets as a bed for him. While staying up for the night beside him, I realized that he looked very young, if possible, only a year or two older than myself. Despite his body was covered with ugly wounds and not at best hygiene condition, underneath the nest bird hair, has a face that looked very childlike, features that were neither too sharp or soft, small chin, plump lips that was so curvy at the upper part that made it looking like a love shape, slightly roundish nose with a high nose bridge and finally the pair of eyes underneath the thick eyebrow that was yet to open were what I wanted to see the most.

           I almost felt like a ert when I found myself staring too intently at a boy and even reached out my hand to touch his face, but before I could take back my hand, I realized that his body temperature was still high and beads of sweat were formed on his forehead. Silently cursing myself for not noticing it earlier, I sponge bathed him with lukewarm water and was more than relieved when the fever died down. With a body that was energy drained, I easily found my way to slumber land, but before seeping into darkness, I questioned myself  why didn’t I call for an ambulance that made everything easier.

           I wanted to care for him, I wanted him to stay, I don’t want to be left alone...

❈❈❈

           Something was touching my face, something small and soft? It was ticklish, breathing in and out in quick patterns; reminded me of how a dog sniff. Opening my eyes, I saw something and whatever that was touching me stopped. Ah, The brown orbs with dark gold flickers in the iris. It seemed to be gleaming brighter than last time I remembered. The eyes of the wolf are too addicting, now I’m even dreaming about it. What’s this smell? It’s the stink of odour, like someone has not been in the shower for ages. Huh? Who is this? A boy..? My eyes widened as I registered the face from last night (which I shamelessly have stared at) was so close to mine. Thrashing my arms around as I tried to back away from the boy, my surprise was expressed through a loud scream. However, what happened next replaced me scream with laughter.

           Apparently, I have frightened the boy more than he frightened me with my wild reaction, causing him to stumble down and even knocked the back of his head on the table, resulting a small yelp to escape from his mouth. Oh, he looks like one lost pup. I stopped laughing and cleared my throat when the atmosphere became awkward.

          “Uh, are you feeling better now? Do you need to make a call?”

           My eyebrow twitched in annoyance when the boy did not answer my question and was standing on four while looking up at me timidly. Is he not in the right state of mind? Panicked at that thought, I quickly went to him, trying to check any injury on his head, but he dodged my hands and scurried away.

           Reminding myself not to be rash since I was dealing with an injured person, I tried to close in the distance between us, but this time he ran away and I of course, proceeded to chase him with no success. My patience was running thin and finally snapped when we were already circling the kitchen counter for several times.

           “YAH!”

           I regretted with my own burst out immediately when I saw he flinched and cowered into the corner. Feeling guilty as if I have been bullying an innocent animal, I grabbed whatever I saw on the kitchen counter and actually cooed at him, trying to ask him to come to me.

           “Come on, come here, you...”

            I trailed off as I have no idea what should I call him and only realized I have been using a packet of raw spaghetti to lure him. Great, even an animal doesn’t want to eat this what makes him- Too busy scowling at myself, I was caught off guard when he suddenly lunged at me, almost biting my fingers off while stuffing the packet of raw spaghetti into his mouth. Horrified with his sudden quick movement and also seeing him trying to swallow the whole thing down, I grabbed onto the packet that was halfway into his mouth and pulled while he resisted and growled at me. My first instinct was to smack his head, which I succeeded in snatching away the now slimy packet.

           “I said no. No!” The boy stared at me with his huge eyes and I blinked a few times to register what just happened. I sounded as if I’m talking to a pet. The growling sound came back and I was definitely not please with how the boy glared at me with his teeth bare.

           Such ungrateful person, I saved him, stayed up to make sure he was not roasted by his fever and now he repaid my efforts by growling at me? Excuse me, wild boy, but I was the dominant one here. Looking straight into his eyes, I kept my voice steady and calm.

          “I said no and you listen.”

          For a moment I thought he was going to bite off my forefinger that was pointing at him but he broke the eye contact and lowered his head. I must have my smug smirk plastered on my face and it widened even more when I was able to hold his head.

          “Now, don’t move.” Saying each word slow and loud, I moved his head around trying to see for any visible injury and I found none. Faltering for a moment as I tried to remember why I wanted to do this on the first hand, unconsciously I brushed his cheeks with my thumbs while cupping his face.

          I stood up and went to the sink to wash the saliva of the spaghetti packet, stupidly enough, I took a sniff of my hands and gagged. What on earth does he have in his hair to be this smelling? I shuddered involuntary as I scrubbed my hands clean, wanting to get rid of the smell. When I turned back, he was still in the same position, looking a bit helpless and a loud grumble sound was heard. I raised my eyebrow in amusement as I saw him bent forward to clutch his bandaged stomach and whimpered. Hunger makes a person a vulnerable prey, oh, I loved what was on my mind already.

           I was munching on my apple when I was stirring the sauce for the spaghetti and I was really satisfied with what I saw at the corner of my eyes. There he was, sitting on the floor with his legs crossed and both hands on each side. Turning off the stove, I tiptoed to reach the upper cabinet and what I took from above made him immediately straightening his back and was ready to stand up on four. “Sit.” I kept the beef jerky high in the air as I motioned him to sit with the tip of my toes. I stared at him with a bored expression as he was hesitating but after I wiggled the beef jerky and pointed at the floor again with my raised leg, he finally went back to the earlier position. Giggling, I tossed the beef jerky to him, which he had no problem in catching and patted him on the cheek.

           I would be lying if I said I was not surprised with the way he gulped down the food to his throat, right after I placed two plates of spaghetti on the counter, he shot up from the floor and buried his face into the food right away, not even sparing mine too. I almost wanted to grab onto his hair, but I changed my mind when I thought of the fouling smell so my loudspeaker voice was in use. I guessed I looked the scariest when I yelled at him because his eyes were so wide and the face had no visible colour except for the stained parts with the reddish orange sauce (Pfft, he was fair-skinned) The plan formed earlier in my mind was triggered to function because seeing him in this messy state pissed me off and I was hungry too, no one messes with me when my stomach is empty.

❈❈❈

 

          Revenge is sweet~ I hummed some random tunes as I was applying shampoo into his hair, occasionally hearing the squeaky sound from the friction between the rubber gloves (Yes, I do not want to have a pair of stinky hands for the rest of my life)

          “Oh, cheer up, I swear you feel great after drying your hair.”

          Though not sure whether he understood my words, I just felt like telling him that when I saw him pouting from the reflection of the mirror. It was a piece of cake to lure him into the bathroom, just randomly some food has been good enough to catch his attention. I felt so evil, yet pleased when I locked the bathroom door and turned to him.

           A deep vibration rumbled in his throat when I was scratching the spot that was right above his ears and I stopped in surprise while staring blankly at his face which showed dissatisfaction. What was- Oh. Continuing the scratching the motion at the exact same spot, again I heard the sound and I grinned.

          “Seems like I hit your sweet spot.”

           Though a bit unbelievable that a boy showed his satisfaction by making a sound that was similar to howling, like a certain animal. But then I thought that was only some small fry matter because the motors in my brain stuck after I unbandaged his body. The wounds that were deep and in bad condition from only yesterday night were now almost fully healed, leaving only baby pink and tender scars

           What.. What are you? I glanced nervously at the reflection of the mirror, only to have that pair of brown topaz eyes staring back at me. He couldn’t be that... Shaking my head in an attempt to shake away that ridiculous thought and focused instead on, how can his wounds healed in such a short span of time. This was no human could do. Would it make sense that if he was actually... As much as I wanted to deny, there were a lot of details that matched my wild guess at the back of my head, only waiting for me to believe it.

           This boy is a wolf, the wolf I met at the barn a few days ago...

Please support my story :D

I'm a wolf!