9

That Summer

 

            Reaching upon the shady tree, immediately I lied down, not even bothering the itchiness that came from the grass below when all I could concentrate was to catch my breath. I closed my eyes to block the glare of the fiery sun. At this, my attention turned to my prickly skin that was covered with sweat, as well as my whole body that seemed to be pulsating like my yet heart that had yet to calm down. Running is already horrible, not to mention doing so under the boiling sun. Then, rustling sound was heard; it could only be him that was coming to my way. His arrival was announced by his cooling shadow that cast down onto my face. However, before I could even crack open my eyes, I heard it. 'Click!'

            Someone pressed onto the shutter-release button.

            Eyes snapped open, and there he was, with his face half hidden by the camera in his hands, leaving only his wide grin in sight. I was sure his eyes were currently scrunched into crescent moons, forming a pretty eye smile. “Don’t you even feel slightest tired? I’m dying here from overusing my muscles and dehydration.” My tone came out snappier than I intended to but I couldn’t help it when the sweat were trickling down from the hairline to my neck, making me feeling even more uncomfortable.

            “Nope, not even the slightest and you will be fine in a moment, so don’t be so mad.” Kyungsoo sat down beside me before patting my forehead. Miraculously, his soothing voice seemed to work wonders in this immense heat, making me feeling calmer and eventually cooler too. “What are you doing?” I protested feebly as I felt my head being lifted up and settled down to something softer. I was about to say something again when there was no reply, but instead I let out a sigh of relief when I felt the lost contact of my hair against my sweaty neck.

            I hummed in satisfaction when Kyungsoo through my hair repeatedly until I felt my hair was all gathered into a lump right above the top of my head. “How did you know to tie a bum?” I forced my eyes open and saw Kyungsoo smiled down at me before leaning onto the tree trunk. “I saw how you tie it almost every day, so I guess I learned it like that?” He shrugged, seeing no big deal in this and continue looking through the pictures he had taken with the camera. The breeze that came out of nowhere definitely made me drowsier than ever, but I kept myself awake as a thought popped into my mind.

            “You...must have higher intelligence than most people, seeing how you can quickly learn how to tie a bum just by observing, from not knowing anything at all to reading and writing in just roughly a month...” I trailed off, suddenly not sure of what I was trying to say asking. Then, I noticed that the faint beeping sound from the camera came to a halt. “I admit that myself is...slightly abnormal..” We both know we were not only referring to his intelligence, but also his other supernatural abilities. Not once we talked about this topic, but now that it was brought up, my curiosity was hard to ignore.

            "Kyungsoo, have you ever think.." Or know, "..I mean..like realizing wha-who you are..?" Only after I uttered out what had been on my mind all this while, I found myself was in fact, nervous to hear his answer. My fingers were clutching to each other, my thumbs kept on grazing onto my forefingers. It felt like an eternity had passed when Kyungsoo took his time to respond.

            “Lately, I start to wonder who or rather what am I. Why am I so different from you and I’m not even sure if saying that I’m intelligent is actually acceptable too.” His entrancing golden brown eyes glanced down and I saw the hint of confusion within his beautiful orbs but a small smile was tugging at the corner of his lips. “Maybe I learned so fast was all thanks to this smart girl, judging by her heavy head that’s making my legs cramp.” My cheeks flared up as I pulled myself up quick from his laps, maybe a little too fast because I was seeing stars by the sudden down flow of my blood from my head.

            “Woah, calm down, I was just kidding.” I felt myself being laid down again on Kyungsoo’s lap and I was flustered of my reaction. For a moment, both of us did not speak a word, but as I felt a strand of my hair was twirled and loosened and repeating, he spoke up. “I’m not really sure what was it but there was a sense of familiarity when I began to learn speaking and writing, as if I learned it before. It’s like I have forgotten and I was just remembering back. Maybe that's why I could pick up the language so fast.” Now I know what I was feeling from before. Other than nervousness, it was unwillingness. I was reluctant, let alone being ready to know the truth. He might have a life or even a family. He was not someone that just popped out of nowhere. He did not have to be depended on me for-... It was only a matter of time before he left.  He's not mine to begin with. The warm breeze fell by, as if slapping this ugly realization onto my face.

            The sudden grip on my loose strand of hair had me back to my senses, pulling me out of my thought. Enough with the depressing thought, everything was still an unknown. I glanced up to Kyungsoo, ready to see his apologetic face, but instead he had a pale face on. “Jieun, you have to leave. We have to leave. Right Now.” The usually calm eyes of his were showing clear frantic and I felt the fear building up inside me, not because of the mysterious threat that only Kyungsoo detected but rather his stressed expression and his painful grip on my shoulder.

❈❈❈

            The blue cloudless sky, I only last saw a few minutes ago was now gloomy, dark with swirling grey clouds that suddenly gathered, the hem of my dress was constantly lifted up and my eyes were stinging with pain as my hair buffeted them constantly with the aid of the strong wind from behind. Trying my best to keep up with Kyungsoo’s fast pace, I stumbled ahead with my poor vision while struggling to ignore the his iron grip on my wrist. A slip of concentration made me lose my footing, but I regained my balance thanks to Kyungsoo’s restraint on me. I continued moving forward, but his sudden turn of direction had me crashing into him. I inhaled sharply, not because of the hard structure of the camera that I hung onto me knocked directly in my stomach but the sight of Kyungsoo's eyes. They were glowing in a golden gleam and the pupils were abnormally large, like those nocturnal creatures.

            “Cluster, the wind changed its course. I hope the rain comes fast.” Did he just cursed? Kyungsoo dragged me again towards the direction we have been going, however, it was only a few steps and he turned again, fixing his gaze on me. “Now, just run towards this direction that leads you to the jetty of the house. Don’t ever go into the house. Hide once you reach the jetty, hide in the water if necessary.”

            "What-what about you?" Kyungsoo did not even bother replying after his sudden instruction and I was pushed towards the route he intended me to take. The wind that was now gusting from the front made it hard for me to move faster while a shout or two by Kyungsoo urged me to be quicker. I staggered for a few seconds that seemed so long only then I managed to break into a run.

            The moment I found myself finally in the woods instead of the meadow from just now, I immediately looked back, still unable to register the fact that Kyungsoo was not coming with me. To my surprise, Kyungsoo was not the only one in the clearing, there were 7 additional figures. I did not even realize I had come to a halt until I felt it. The feeling of being stared. One of the later-comers saw me. Impossible. I'm so far away from them. The feeling of being under scrutiny was cut off an instant when Kyungsoo suddenly leap, tumbling down to the ground with one of the strangers.

            With that, the six other blurring figures closed into Kyungsoo, him being in the middle with the one he attacked earlier beneath him. It was clearly the opponents' work, when Kyungsoo was thrown into the air, but he had no problem landing on the ground. I could not bare to be relieved yet, because when the fight truly begun, they showed that they were no ordinary foes. There was one that cloned into several numbers and all at once combating with Kyungsoo. While the smallest figure of them all had a frightening ability; Kyungsoo, by so far managed to dodge him, resulting in other things that his opponent got into contact turning to a darker shade, melted away- his touch was destructive.

            Albeit that, Kyungsoo was starting to get tired and with him against three at one time, one was able to land a hit on him. I was so close to screaming when Kyungsoo narrowly avoided the one with the deathly ability, hence creating a chance for a taller figure to strike a kick to his side. To make it worse, I heard something. Someone chuckled. Goosebumps lined on my skin as I darted my eyes around and went back to confirming there were still in a total of seven people other than Kyungsoo, out there in the clearing. Then, who is it? Nevertheless, it was momentarily forgotten when I recognized a shout. It was between a muffled word and a growl. I dropped onto the ground when Kyungsoo was no longer in my sight. Instead, there was an animal, so big, so fast in its move. Even from afar, I was sure, this was the wolf I came across in the barn. Kyungsoo is the wolf...

❈❈❈

           “Kyungsoo! Kyungsoo!” I rushed to his side despite the slippery ground. I saw him collapsing onto the ground the instant he changed back to human. Even with the heavy rain, I could hear his ragged breathing and the flowing of the rainwater had streaks of red. He’s hurt. I bit my inner cheek and I knelt in front of him, which he briefly lifted up his head in response and avoided my eyes. I had a glimpse of his still gleaming eyes, other than that, Kyungsoo refused to look at me. After what I had witnessed, it seemed almost normal at the sight of Kyungsoo's numerous wounds that were slowly closing up. I flipped him to lay on his back and I gasped upon the sight of a deep, long gash on his chest that stretched downward to his stomach was still bleeding. It was obviously the aftermath of having your chest chunked off by ruthless animals. The skin around was turning into a shade of sickening blue, reminding of that state I found him in when he first appeared. People could die with this amount of blood loss. “What are you doing?” I ignored him as I ripped the hem of my dress and pressed the torn cloth to his wounded chest.

Kyungsoo swatted my hand away and I left it hanging in midair. He grunted, "I will be fine.." I saw how he hesitated before he held my wrist and pulled both of us up. I noticed, since just now, he had never looked straight into my face, but I was distracted when he murmured, “We have to leave here, I’ll carry you.” He was about to haul me up to his back but I break loose of his grasp. "Why? Are there more? Or...they aren't even dead yet?" I glanced towards the uneven ground, knowing very well what was underneath. "Don't do this.. I need to get you out of here.." With that, he pulled me up to his back and ran off with his inhuman speed. Kyungsoo was obviously drained but he kept on moving with no decrease in speed. I kept quiet even though I was aware of the flowing blood from his unhealed wound.

            Kyungsoo was paler than ever when we reached the summer house. We went into the house and he leaned onto the wall, taking quick breaths, but paid no heed to his wound that seemed to have worsened. The rain had made his chest a messy sight of red and greyish blue. "Leave this place right now..." He breathed out, but he narrowed his eyes when he saw me still unmoved. "I said now!" I flinched at his sudden rise of voice and his face distorted into the mixed expression of anger and sadness. Jieun, he doesn't mean any of this... With that reassurance to myself, I took a step forward.

 

“Don't...” Kyungsoo heaved. and for once he finally searched for my eyes, "I'm not as what you think...Please..leave..." His eyes rolled back in his head and he slid down from the wall. I caught him before he slumped down completely to the ground. I struggled to keep him upright and sat him as carefully as I can against the wall. I rushed to get the first aid kit and while I was in the midst of treating his wounds, the phone that I kept still to my ear with my shoulder connected to the line I dialed. “Hello? Butler Jo, I need a ride home immediately and tell Red I ask for her.”

-A/N-

Oh my gosh, I finally updated.. T,T Been really busy with college schedules... But anyway, I'm having 2 weeks of holidays now so I will be able to complete this story...only that I have to update between juggling my time with doing assignments... >< argh.. Anway, have a nice week! :D Muackz~ <3

I bought both of their XOXO and XOXO repackaged albums! xP Can't wait for the thick photo scrapbook!

So handsome <3 <3

Suho! As lovely as usual..but he looked like he was tiptoeing XD

Of course, no way I missed out spamming IU's pictures here <3 haha when I came back to home, mum couldn't stop telling me about the details in the drama and even dragged me to watch a certain episode with her(where soon shin and junho stayed together on the island) I love both my mum and IU so much!

Her trademark scissors pose! >,< Btw, just today froom watching Inna's volume up and EXO featuring in it, D.O was said to not good in doing scissors pose... haha 

And please don't have this expression while reading this update >< I'm sorry if this update lacks action but I will made it up to you my lovely readers in next chapter! T,T