He was blessed with misfortune

Bite The Dust

Junhong was scared.

It wasn’t because of the three bullies who were now dragging him into an alley near the convenience store; it was because he was afraid that someday, he would stop waiting for Yongguk to come.

He’d been waiting for him everyday but Yongguk never came.

Junhong felt like he’d been left for sure.

Yongguk wasn’t supposed to leave him alone. He’d promised that he would always be there for him. He’d promised that he would be the one to lead Junhong in life.

Was he still keeping that promise?

Junhong needed to know.

“I’m really curious about something,” Aron said when the other two had pressed Junhong against the grimy wall— JR holding his left arm while Baekho holding the other. “They say that depressed people tend to hurt themselves by slitting their wrist.”

Aron fished out a pocket knife from his blazer and it with pure interest, his eyes filled with dark thoughts.

Junhong tried prying the other two off him but he wasn’t strong enough. He hadn’t recovered completely from his injuries. He could only bite his lips and pray that everything would turn alright. But then again, luck was never by his side since Yongguk’s death.

He was doomed. The world had turned its back to him. He was blessed with misfortune— the irony of living.

“You look depressed to me,” Aron’s lips curled up into a smirk as he stepped closer to Junhong. “You live at the orphanage right? You’re alone, you don’t have friends and you’re mute! I feel so sorry for you. How can you live? I would’ve jumped off a building if I were you.”

The other two laughed, but Aron remained stiff. He was a bit different. Junhong could see it in his eyes. He wasn’t satisfied of something. It was like something was missing. But Junhong couldn’t put his finger on it.

“Let me help you ease the pain, orphan.” Aron smiled, rolling up Junhong’s sleeve. Then he held the knife to his forearm before he looked him in the eye. “Tell me, is it worth it for you to live your miserable life?”

Junhong shut his eyes.

The pain came to him like an electric shock. It was excruciating.

For the first time, he screamed.

He screamed like a madman.

He screamed until he felt his throat would rip open.

But then his scream got muffled by a hand.

The bullies laughed at him. They mocked him. They hurt him.

Am I not worth it?

“Yaa, he can scream so that means he’s not mute!” Baekho chortled.

“He’s still a retard to me,” JR said when he released Junhong, dropping him to the ground.

Aron kicked Junhong lightly and folded his arms. Then he bent down and smiled.

“How’s that orphan? Did you feel better? Do-”

“Yaa, what are you hooligans doing to that boy?!” a loud voice interrupted Aron’s speech.

“Run!” Baekho told his friends.

The three of them didn’t spare a glance at Junhong who was now lying on the ground, bleeding. They shoved the person away and made their way to someplace else which Junhong wouldn’t care.

“Son, are you okay? Do you want me to bring you to the hospital?” It was an old man.

When Junhong had a clear look of his face, he realized that the old man was the cashier at the convenience store. He’d seen him often. He always saw him talking to Himchan whenever Himchan went there to buy milk for his cat.

“Can you stand up?” the old man asked him as he helped him to get on his feet. “Let’s get inside, it’s drizzling out here.”

 

 

Junhong tried hard to keep his eyes open. He was tired and in pain. The cashier, who turned out to be the owner of the convenience store didn’t know that Junhong’s forearm was bleeding because Junhong had covered it with his sleeve.

He only treated the cuts on Junhong’s face with some kind of ointment that had caused Junhong to wince countless times when he applied it on his face.

“Do you want me to call your parents?” the owner asked him.

Junhong dropped his gaze to the tiled floor and shook his head slowly.

“I know it’s none of my business but you kids should take care of yourselves. I wonder what has happened to this world. People aren’t acting like humans anymore.”

“Evening, Mr. Lee.” A customer who’d entered the store greeted the old man. “Sorry I’m a bit late. Work has been tough these days.”        

Junhong looked up and gasped.

The customer mirrored his expression.

“Hey, didn’t expect to meet you here, Junhong.”

Himchan, the murderer.

Junhong stood up immediately and went for the door when Himchan caught him by the wrist. Junhong winced in pain when Himchan touched him.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” Himchan let go of him instantly when he saw the look on Junhong’s face. “Are you hurt?”

Junhong averted his eyes, gritting his teeth to prevent himself from showing Himchan how hurt he was.

Himchan seemed to sense something so he grabbed Junhong by the shoulder gently and turned him around so he was facing him.

“You’re hurt,” Himchan noted, eyeing him closely. “They beat you up again. Am I right?”

Junhong remained silent. Not that he ever wanted to talk to him anyway.

“He got beaten up by a bunch of kids at the alley,” the owner spoke up. “Luckily I was there to stop them.”

“Why didn’t you report to your guardian?” Himchan asked the boy, his face contorted in frustration.

Junhong stared at Himchan for a while but then turned around, opened the door and stepped out of the store.

“Yaa, Junhong! I’m talking to you.” Himchan called out. “This is serious!”

”You don’t know who I am.”

Himchan stopped in his tracks and blinked. Turning around, Junhong met his eyes and stayed like that for a few moments.

“You can talk,” Himchan said, breaking the silence between them. “You’re not mute. I thought…never mind that. Look, I can help you. You just need to tell me what’s wrong. Why did they bully you? ”

It is always the same when it comes to adults.

Junhong sneered at him.

Then he walked away, leaving the brown haired man speechless.