cookies ; 13

Lucky You !

Luhan lays down on his bed. His head is full of mess. He didn’t know what he thinks of. After he sent Hyemi back home, he walks straight to his house. As always, Ryung hasn’t come back from his campus. He rarely sees eye to eye with Ryung this month. It is because Ryung has been so busy with his school’s projects and assignments. 22 years old Ryung has always been an independent person. He barely heard any complaints from Ryung about his campus’ life. Luhan reaches for his phone in his pocket and tap on the screen to check the time. It’s just 4:16. He then sighed and flip his body to the right side. His eyes catch a sight of a box on the white drawer. He blinks for a few seconds while staring at those box and starts crawling out of bed to grab the box. He takes the box and sits on the floor. The box is looking new even though it comes from years ago. Luhan opens the lid of the box. He smiles a little. 

 

The box is a box of so many useless stuff. A pink heart-shaped memo, a pencil, a roll of bandage, a hot pack, a frame, three envelopes and an icecream’s stick. Luhan goes through every single item in the box with a smile. One can say that this box keeps trash inside of it. It is all useless and it has been used before. The items inside of the box are all stuff that he got from Hyemi. It’s a box of two bestfriend’s moments. He keeps the stuff to treasure every moment he wants to keep of her. He thinks at first that it will be hard for him to find a friend because he was coming from a foreign land. Even after today, he doesn’t have so many friends other than Hyemi and Hyeri who are the closest to him. He feels so glad that he owns friends like Hyemi and Hyeri. That is why he treasures every childish stuff he spent with her. He chuckles remember how silly he is on keeping all of these useless items. 

 

Luhan picks the pink heart-shaped memo up. There’s something written on it; “The biggest plot in The World War 2 is the courage of one side to fight what is best for them”. Luhan smiles. It was picked out from the history book that Hyemi read at that time. He suddenly remembers the day he got this memo from Hyemi. 

 

 

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

 

3 years ago.... 

 

“Why are you dragging me into this?” Hyemi complains as her fingers are busy folding and making an origami of heart shaped with a colorful paper. Hyemi gives his death stare to Luhan who idiotly smiling while scrolling his phone in front of her. 

“What else? I don’t know well what a girl likes. I’m glad that I have you.” Luhan answers with a naughty smile. 

“The problem is... why do I have to do this for your girlfriend? Why aren’t you doing it by yourself?” Hyemi can’t keep herself from complaining. She has been drag out by Luhan to the school’s literature room to complete a box of origami after school ends. This is because today is marked a month since Luhan and her girlfriend, Solhyun went out as a couple. 

“How do I know how to do this? I’m using your skills and talent from something good.” Luhan shrugs. He knows Hyemi is going to explode, but he doesn’t have any idea on how to prepare for a surprise for a girl. “How do I surprise her later? Do I have to sneak this inside her locker? Or, should I left it on her table?” Luhan asked with a face that was full of curiosity. 

“Just give her directly when you go out with her later.” Hyemi answers while putting all the origami that has been done shaped into the pink box. She then reaches for another blue paper for making another one. Luhan nods as he agrees with Hyemi’s suggestion. But he is still afraid that it is not going to be romantic enough. He glances at the book on the table. It is a book that Hyemi holds when he dragged her out earlier. Luhan takes it and flips the pages.

“You read this book again today,” Luhan said as he read the title of the book; Today’s History. Luhan flips another page and he found a heart-shaped memo with a handwritten of “The biggest plot in The World War 2 is the courage of one side to fight what best for them”. It is probably a quote Hyemi took out from the book. Luhan picks the memo and shows it to Hyemi. 

“Ah, I wrote that.” Hyemi said while smiling. “I think that sentence is kinda powerful. A big change always starts with the courage to fight for what is best for us.” She proceeds. Luhan sees the shines in Hyemi’s eyes when she explained about the line. It must be a line that touches her the most. Hyemi somewhat looks the most shining person in his eyes whenever she explains about books that she read. Even if it’s just a comic, Hyemi has always been this passion whenever he shares about the content that she read. Luhan enjoys that side of Hyemi. He thinks that Hyemi explains it beautifully even if the book does not end that beautifully.

“Take it.” Hyemi says. She then completes the last origami. However, it’s a swan-shaped. She put it inside the box and close the lid. She then stares at Luhan before she picks the memo from Luhan’s hand and stamped it on Luhan’s arms. Luhan feels a vibe that he does not understand when Hyemi grabs his hand to stick the memo. Both of them have been friends for more than two years since middle school days. When both of them quarrel, there’s a time when they accidentally make a skinship whether holding arms or linking their arms together. Luhan can’t lie, every time they touch, his heart will skip a beat. He assumes that happens because he dates so many girls before. But he hasn’t physically engaged with any of those girls. So, he basically never touch any girl. Luhan feels like his heart race so fast that it might jump out of his chest now. He stares into Hyemi’s eyes. 

“You just found your courage. Take this box and give it to her.” She hands the box to Luhan. Hyemi stands up and picks her book together with her.

“Ah! There’s a swan-shaped one inside the box. I have always struggled with that type since elementary school. I only succeed in making it once in a while. It’s happened to be today is one of the lucky days. So, I put it inside as a lucky charm for you.” Hyemi explained. “I wish things go smoothly for you today.” Hyemi pats on Luhan’s shoulder with a smile before she left him in the room. 

Luhan was left alone. He takes the memo that Hyemi stuck on his arms. He smiles. He put it inside his pocket and grab the box. He then runs out of the room and straight walks to Solhyun’s house. It was really near the school, so it does not take so much time to reach at her house. 

 

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

 

Luhan smiles remember all of those days. He then put back the heart-shaped memo into the box. He grabs a roll of bandage. This bandage is a bandage that he used back a year ago when he got injured while playing basketball for the school's basketball club. He then flips the bandage in the opposite way and sees the sketch on the bandage. It's a Sun. Hyemi sketched it when he got back from the nurse's room with his palm covered with that bandage. He smells the bandage and it does smell dirty as it was a used bandage from a year ago. Luhan shakes his head back to his sense. Why did he keep this dirty thing? He flips back and see the Sun sketch that Hyemi drew. He chuckles as he remembers how he got injured during the game.

 

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

 

A year ago...

 

Luhan stands in the middle of the court in his white jersey. It's PE time for his class. So, the teacher asked them to watch and give support to Luhan and the team who is in a single match with the other school. Luhan glances at the crowd and he found Hyemi in the first rows. She smiles and screams to him. "Good luck!" Luhan responds with a smile. The first match start, Luhan's team scores before the other team. 

Suddenly, a player passed the ball and it went off the court. The ball went straight to the place where Hyemi sits. Luhan turns his body and sees the ball is going in Hyemi's way. There is no way he can block or Hyemi dodge the ball first with that distance. He cannot run there in a second too. However, Luhan speedily runs to the ball and jumps to block the ball from hitting Hyemi. The ball hits his stomach and he falls on the floor with his hand hit the floor first. Luhan lays on the ground and screams in pain. He feels like the whole world went black for a while before he heard a voice calling him.

"Ya! Xi Luhan! Luhan-ah," Hyemi calls him.

Luhan opens his eyes and he sees Hyemi's worried face who is currently staring at him. He smiles. He is glad that he is able to dodge the ball.  But his hand is really in great pain now. "It's hurt..." Luhan mumbles. Luhan's coach and the other team members hold Luhan and help him sit. Hyemi continuously asked him, "Is that hurt? Are you okay? Anything else that hurts?" Luhan shakes his head. The coach gives instructions to the male classmates to help send Luhan to the nurse room. As the bell rings, the PE teacher also asked the students to left the hall and go back to class. 

After Luhan received treatment at his hand in the nurse's room, he comes back to class as he is disqualified from joining the game. He enters the class and sits at his place. Hyemi stares at Luhan full of worries.

"Are you okay now?" Hyemi asked.

Luhan shakes his head. "No, how can I eat now?" Luhan jokes. Hyemi rolls her eyes.

"Why are you flying that way before? Look at what you get now. You're playing basketball. Not a high jump, you know?" Hyemi complaints. Luhan laughs upon hearing that.

"Just to look cool. Everyone will think that I'm a flying angel now." Luhan looks at his hand covered with the bandage. Why am I jumping that way desperately? How do I do to eat now? 

"Angel... what?" Hyemi rolls her eyes and picks a pen marker on her desk. She then asks Luhan for his hand.

"What?" Luhan asks while extending his hand towards Hyemi. Hyemi opens the pen's lid and starts to draw something on the bandage. A sun sketch. She then smiles satisfied after that. Luhan raises his eyebrows. "What?" He asks.

"This will protect you from using your hand for the meantime. In case you forgot that your right hand got injured." She turns forward and starts getting ready for the class to begin soon. 

"I hurt my hand. Not my brain. I know it's the injured hand especially with this bandage on." Luhan complaints. He then picks the book on his desk using the injured hand. He screams in pain. Hyemi looks at him with a face of I-told-you. 

"Ah, it's hurt... ah!" Luhan grabs Hyemi's shoulder while screaming in pain. But Hyemi ignores him. He continues to whine as he wants to attract Hyemi's attention to his pain. "Ah! I can't feel my hand. Am I going to die?" Luhan whines. Hyemi continuously ignores him as she feels a little embarrassed by Luhan's overacting.

 

 

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

 

Luhan smiles as he remembers the past. It’s another moment to remember. A moment he shares with Hyemi. He wonders if Hyemi knows that he keeps this useless items. He wonders if Hyemi remembers this little moments too. Luhan put back the bandage inside the box. No, he is not going to throw it. His phone suddenly vibrates. Luhan turns his head and grabs the phone on the bed. There’s a message from unknown number. Luhan taps on the screen to open the message. 

 

“Hi Luhan. I’m Seol Hana. I’m from 3-반 class.” Luhan read the text. He wonders of this girl found out his number. He does not know Seol Hana at all. He barely see another guys from the other class. Luhan then proceeds reading the next line, “You must be wonder about how I got your number? I asked it from Jung Hyemi this morning.” Luhan frowns. He does not like the fact that girls start to harass Hyemi to get his number. It is not related to Hyemi at all, but why does Hyemi has to do with his ‘fans’? Luhan read the last line, “I wonder if you can teach me some chinese language? I kind of need your help as I struggle with that.” Luhan raises his eyebrows. 

“Hi. Have you try going to any private lesson for this?”  Luhan replies back. The phone vibrates again in a few seconds. Such a fast replier. 

“Yes, I did. But it seems like I couldn’t get much...” She then double texts Luhan, “If you’re okay with it, I want to learn with you. Since you’re a native speaker.” Luhan scratch his back of head. Isn’t the teacher who teach at the private lesson is more fluents than him? He almost forget his own language since he came to Seoul. Hyemi talks too much and too fast, so he learnt Korean language dilligently to be able to completely understand Hyemi and the student in his class. Luhan taps the screen and starts to type something as a reply. 

“Well, I’ll tell you back when I already decide it.” He sent the text and starts to dial Hyemi’s number. He did it out of reasons. He just randomly wants to call her to share this to her. A few numbers of dial, Hyemi finally pick up the phone. 

 

“What?” Hyemi asks as soon as she pick up the phone. Luhan chuckles. There’s really no ‘hello’ in their conversation. 

“Why did you give my phone number without my permission?” Luhan asks. He lays down on his bed. Looking at the ceiling. 

“Ah! I forgot to tell you that. She asked me about you, and I can’t think of anything else. I need to go back at you quickly, so I just give it without thinking much.” She explained and proceeds, “Sorry!” 

“Well... that’s okay. She asked me if I can help her with the chinese language. I think she can’t understand her private lesson’s teacher taught her. Weird.” Luhan shares. 

“You think she’s really want that? It just an excuse to get closer to you.” Hyemi chuckles. “Give it a try. You don’t know who is Seol Hana? She’s the prettiest in our school. She scores a perfect score every midterm test.” Hyemi suggests.

“Prettiest?” Luhan asks. He then smiles a little upon hearing how Hyemi describes Seol Hana. Hyemi can be too subjective over people sometimes. The prettiest means it’s approximately perfect in her mind. 

“Yes. It will be a good match. You’ve been single for 3 months. It might be ‘the one’ this time.” Hyemi explained. 

“If that’s happen... is that means I am romantically wants her?” Luhan asks. There’s a silence for awhile. He wonders what does it means by romantically wants someone. 

“I guess? Isn’t people date because they romantically want someone?” Hyemi asks back. Luhan smiles. Hyemi always return back a question whenever he asked her a question. 

“What else you know about ‘romantically want someone’ terms?” Luhan heard a keyboard sounds in the phone. Hyemi must be in front of the laptop. 

“Ah, I read this one article in the Naver. It says that: ‘When one romantically in love with someone, they desire to stay closer and protect someone they are in love with at their best.’ Oh, this one sounds clichè. Wait, another one article here. The title is ‘How Do You Know When You Fall In Love?’. Scrolls down. Point number 5. It says that: ‘You will know that you’re in love with her when you see/do something out of your naturality. You probably start to feel like you want to hold his/her hand. You probably starts to see he/she’s shining by appearance. You might feel weird that stares into his/her eyes suddenly makes you nervous’. What is this? This sounds so corny.” Hyemi said. 

Luhan laugh. Hyemi comments make it even more funny. “What kind of websites that you visit this time?” Luhan continuosly laugh. 

“This.... wait, why are you asking about this when you’ve been dating almost half of your life?” Hyemi complaints. She sounds mad. 

“I don’t know. I wonder if that’s love.” said Luhan. He raise his hand and stares at his hand. Holding hands, he thought. How do you know holding hands can be the white flags of falling in love? 

“Stop talking nonsense. Answer Seol Hana and agrees to the invitation. You’ve been single for so long that you start to confuse you’re own feeling.” Hyemi jokes. 

Luhan chuckles. Hyemi always sounds like that one halmeoni that desperately push her grandchild into the society to socialize with people. “Have you ever fall in love before?” Luhan suddenly asks. 

“I don’t know. To me, the word ‘love’ carry so much meaning. It also sounds ‘precious’. You don’t fall in love just because you want to fall in love.” Hyemi answers. “Ryung is my first love when we were 16. Remember?” Hyemi laugh remembers the old good times. She falls in love with Ryung, Luhan’s brother just because he treated her well. He has always been that caring and nice brother to her. 

“What do you see in Ryung that you think he’s better than me?” Luhan asks. He still remembers that old time when Hyemi swapped his food with Ryung at the cafè in order to give a bigger portion to Ryung. Hyemi also push Luhan to sit at the corner of the seat, in order for her to sit beside Ryung. Of course Ryung has never notice that Hyemi once likes him. He has been treating Hyemi good like his own little sister. Now that Hyemi is no longer ‘in love’ with Ryung, the unfair treatment also faded with her ‘love’. It also because of Ryung is so busy when he enters his university. So, they don’t have much opportunities to meet each other. 

Ryung always treats me nicely. Unlike you.” Hyemi answers. Luhan heard a voice back in the phone that calls Hyemi. It must be Hyemi’s mum. “Luhan, see you tomorrow. Someone’s coming. See ya! Don’t forget to answer Seol Hana.” Hyemi reminds him before she ended the call. 

Luhan looks at his phone. He wish their call can be longer than this 20 minutes. He has more questions to ask. He seems like there are more things he want to know. Luhan taps on his phone screen and click iMessage icon. He taps on Seol Hana’s message and send a text. 

“I agree to help you.” 

A text comes in a second after Luhan sent his reply. What a fast replier. 

“I’m glad that you agree to help me! Thank you. See you after school tomorrow.” She replied. 

Luhan seen the chat and staring to the ceiling blankly. He then raises his hand and stares into his palm. 

“Holding hands.” He mumbles.