Kyungsoo: Nice to Meet You Doctor

The Butterfly Effect
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Kyungie-oppa can we get snacks later,”  his little sister Soojin asks, her dark hair up into two pigtails, pale pink painted fingers clutching onto her backpack as she looks up at Kyungsoo with wide puppy eyes.

“If your teachers tell me you did good today then we can get snacks when we’re coming home,” Kyungsoo answers her, knees bended so that he’s at her eye level, eyes trying to seem serious but a grin on his lips.

“Okay Kyunggie-oppa,” she says, hands reaching out to cup his face to press a quick kiss to his cheek and run to class, with a fast goodbye. He straights up and fixes his uniform checking the time on his watch. If he runs he’ll make it to class four minutes before classes start, but he’s not going to.

He slings his backpack on his shoulder and walks away from the Elementary school, checking his cellphone as he walks the streets pass person after person.

I’ve given up on trying to conform
to this world’s standards. I’m about as sorry as I’m not sorry if that makes any sense.
Goodbye dear followers.

-          Ohmija

Kyungsoo stops as he rereads the blog post. He didn’t follow Ohmija as diligently as others did but he did find the mystery blogger’s words wise and a lot of what he said hit home for Kyungsoo. Was the blogger quitting, but that one sentence about conforming didn’t make it seem like he was just quitting the cyber world.

‘He wouldn’t do that would he’ Kyungsoo thinks to himself, a frown making its way to his lips. Ohmija’s last post referenced suicide but he didn’t sound like he actually approved of it, he wouldn’t do something as crazy as suicide. Right?

Kyungsoo shakes his head and pockets his phone, he’s overthinking the words of some crazy blogger with over hundreds of followers, it’s probably just a popularity stunt, see how many messages he could get with his declaration to quit.

He’s almost a full ten minutes late when he gets to class. The teacher gives him a pitying glance and continues on with his lesson while Kyungsoo slumps in his seat in the back row beside basketball star Park Chanyeol, who’s sleeping with his head on his textbook. About a good thirty minutes after class started a low siren interrupts the quiet, Kyungsoo watches as Chanyeol lifts his head up in confusion, while other students start to peer out of the window a loud murmur filling the room.

The teacher tells them to settle down, but the distraught look on his face makes them do the exact opposite and when he finally gets the class to settle down, Kyungsoo begins to notice how every once in a while someone will look down at their phone, probably finding out what exactly is going on. He watches as Chanyeol looks at his phone with wide eyed curiosity before a frown stretches across his thin lips, and he puts it away. When the class ends, he watches as Chanyeol stands at his full height and leaves the room in a hurry; some students follow after him, while others gather together and whisper in low voices.

Class eventually resumes five minutes later than it original should and everyone but Chanyeol is back in their seats. Kyungsoo is still clueless about what happened so he continues to pay attention to his lessons while most of his classmates seem restless around him.

“Kyungsoo-yah,” he hears someone call during lunch as he walks through the building to go get his food. He turns his head and sees one of his friends from Choir waving and walking towards him.

“Have you heard,” the slightly older boy asks when he finally catches up to Kyungsoo, fixing his hair and stuffing his hands in his pockets.

“No not really,” Kyungsoo admits. “Jinho do you know what happened.”

“Aigoo my clueless friend,” Jinho teases, wrapping an arm around Kyungsoo and pushing into him slightly, as he ruffles the younger boy’s hair. “Do you really not know?”

“Know what,” Kyungsoo asks.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter