Yixing: If I Die Today

The Butterfly Effect
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

His family had relocated from Changsha to Seoul right before he started high school. His dad had a new job, a better paying job and so his family of four, his mother, father, and grandmother, left the land he grew up in. Zhang Yixing had zero knowledge of the Korean language when he boarded the plane to Seoul, sure he heard the few Korean pop songs on the radio, but that wasn’t enough to teach him more than Saranghae means “I love you,” and Bogoshipo means “I miss you.”

While most kids spent their summer before high school sleeping in late and watching midday melodramas, Yixing spent his time learning Korean through the classes his father funded. When his first day of high school started, while other kids were worrying over the extra workload and such Yixing was struggling with all of those worries on top of the worry that his Korean wouldn’t be up to par.

In his first year of high school he learned his Korean wasn’t up to par, in his second year of high school he learned that it would never be. By his third year he’d given up, and begun only speaking when spoken too. Yixing had always been a soft-spoken person, but by his third year of high school his voice was barely above a whisper, as he did his best to blend in.

Yixing walked his way into the school gates, he was too early for his liking but he needed to meet with a teacher so he didn’t have much of a choice. Yixing didn’t have any friends at school, he occasionally talked to a freshman named Zitao but they weren’t exactly friends. Zitao had a different lunch schedule and their grade difference made it hard for him to see the younger male.

Yixing wasn’t too bothered by it, he might not have had friends in school, but he did have friends.  Friends in Changsha where he grew up, and all the people he met when he was struggling to get adjusted to going to school in Korea and constantly being bullied.

He’s close to the building when he looks up and sees the leader of his daily tormentors standing in front of the school. He wants to turn away, there are other exits and entrances located around the school, but the boy is grinning at him, dark charcoal like eyes staring into Yixing’s own chocolate brown.

Three years of being bullied, he knows that once you’re spotted you can’t run away, if they chase you, and if they find you, whatever they initially planned to do to you gets worse. Yixing tightens his hand around the straps of his backpack, and heads towards the direction of the school, and his bully Kwak Jinyoung.

Kwak Jinyoung wasn’t particularly strong or tall, nor did he weigh a lot. He was a part of the Soccer team, and maybe his hatred for the soccer’s team captain who also happened to be Chinese, made him target Yixing. Yixing wanted to think that, but he knew better, he had seen the guy target others just because they weren’t up to his standards of normal.

As soon as he’d gotten to the entrance, Jinyoung wrapped a thin arm around his shoulder. Yixing grimaced; it was like a anaconda wrapping his body around its prey, slowly tightening itself, till it squeezed the life out of an innocent soul.

Jinyoung was that anaconda, his arm wrapped tightly around Yixing’s shoulder, making it impossible for him to even think of pulling away.

“Jang, what’s got you here so early,” Jinyoung asks, on his face is a grin that seems more like a leer. If The Joker’s red lips and yellow toothed grin was considered scary, then Jinyoung’s white-toothy grin could only be seen as the essence of evil. He only wore that smile when he was thinking of bulling someone or saw someone he didn’t like suffering.

“I have to see my homeroom teacher,” Yixing admits.

“Oh really,” Jinyoung asks, nodding his head to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter