Happy Birthday

Blind Song

 

"Eunji, eunji wake up!" I opened my eyes expecting to see my sister but still saw nothing. "Bwoh?" I asked. It had been  a year since the car accident. My birthday was today. Eunhae had been trying to cheer me up for ages. I waited for her to tell me another one of her ideas to cheer me up. "Let's go outside! Come on Eunji ah! Wake up!" She shook my shoulder vigorously. "The weather is really nice and the peach trees are blooming!" She giggled excitedly. "So? It's not like I can see it anyway." I groaned and pressed my face into my pillow. She pulled on my hair forcing my head up, "But you can hear it, smell it, and feel it! You aren't useless!" She insisted. I gave in and she helped me up. She helped me get dressed, handed me my walking stick, and guided me downstairs. I heard her open the door and a rush of fresh air filled my nostrils. It felt good, but I knew it must've been pretty outside though. If I had known I would lose my eyesight I would've been spending more time outside and with my family, but I guess something like that couldn't have been predicted. Eunhae guided me to a tree and had my feel its trunk. She put flowers in my hair and made me smell them. I couldn't help but smile. She was trying hard to see the smile again. "I can't wait to show you your birthday present!" Eunhae giggled. 
 
I took a big breath of air and blew straight in front of me. "Are they out?" I asked. My mother patted my shoulder "Yes. Good job, darling. Now make a wish!" Make a wish on the candles, huh? I knew my wish couldn't come true, but just for the fun of it I guess; I wish I could see again.  My family eagerly cut me a slice of cake. "Say ahh!" My 12 year old brother Haneul popped a bite of cake into my mouth. "Presents!" Haneul cheered. Eunhae clapped her hands happily and I heart feet shuffle out of the room. They returned quickly though. "Me first! Me first!" Eunhae begged. She set two strips of paper in my hands. "What is it?" I asked running my hand along the strips. "Tickets! They cost me a fortune you know." Eunhae patted my head.  "Tickets for what?" My mom asked and took the tickets away, probably to examine them. "Teen Top!!!" Squealed my sister. "Their concert is next week, I want Eunji to come!"