Finally:

Where exactly is home?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next morning I woke up with a smile and to the sound of metal clacking. In my groggy state I turned and faced the empty space beside me. Maybe I was being hopeful but it sounded like Jonghyun was making breakfast, well it was either that or I had a burglar in the house. 

I quickly changed out of my clothes and freshened up, eager to see Jonghyun’s face first thing in the morning.  Patiently, I tried to take one step at a time to reach the source of the noise. As I walked down the seemingly endless hallway I thought of my sudden nervousness. I paused to recall Jonghyuns earlier words “The day you kiss me on the lips, I will know I succeeded. So I will wait till that day Jinki, hoping that maybe you could love me.”

While the words replayed in my head I tried to contain my ecstatic emotions. Only I soon realized that this was unlike what I was expecting, if Jonghyun hadn’t been there I knew this morning I would have awoke in sadness.

It wasn’t as if I had forgotten about the kiss from last night. I had taken a leap of faith, jumping into something when I knew the outcome. I had kissed him, on the lips.

When I finally reached the kitchen I found that I was right. Jonghyun had his back to me, shuffling through cabinets in the search of utensils and ingredients.  With the amount of stuff lying on the counter I assumed he was still confused as to what he was doing.

“Good morning” I said. There was such clear happiness in my voice that it even took me by surprise.

Jonghyun turned around, frying pan in one hand and his clothes dusted with flour. He blushed at the sight of me before replying to the morning greeting. I could mentally envision him thinking about the kiss and about sleeping in the same bed, which made me blush even if we didn’t do anything.

“I-I was going to make breakfast but then I didn’t know what you liked” he said, stuttering adorably all the while. I stood where I was at the entrance and tried to fight back a smile. “I only know to make pancakes or eggs but pancakes seem to freak you out..” he said referring to the time his mother had served pancakes at his home. I was about to mention that I loved pancakes and it sounded like a good idea but he started to speak again.

“So yeah, eggs but how do you like them? Oh! And I used the spare toothbrush in your bathroom, I hope that’s ok.” He was still blushing now and I could sense a bit of awkwardness.

I shook my head. “No that’s fine” I said. “And I like them sunny side up”, I added.

Jonghyun nodded like an attentive waiter taking orders and turned to get to work. I stepped forward and took a hold of his hand. That startled him and the pan dropped to the floor.

Ok, so far so good, I thought sarcastically.

“Jong, about that kiss. I know your thinking about it.” I saw a little colour drain from his face. “It was a mistake, I get it. You had a lot to deal with yesterday.” He babbled, cutting into what I was about to say.

“No!” I exclaimed in pure confusion. I could see hope brighten his eyes as he smiled his Jonghyun smile when he understood I meant it.

“No”, I repeated in a calmer tone. “You asked me to kiss you on the lips when I fell in love with you, but that wasn’t last night.” I noticed Jonghyuns expression fall as I said this. A small chuckle escaped my lips. I treasured the fact that he cared so much for me, that I was even worthy of it.

Without much pause I continued, “I was in love with you long before, Kim Jonghyun. But it was only last night that I had the courage to admit it.” As the words left my lips I felt my knees turn to jelly. My grip on him only simultaneously tightened.

“You love me..?” he asked. The confusion was evident in his voice and it angered me. How could he still not believe me?

“Did I not show you to prove it? Not just the kiss but the fact that you are my solace and my support. I cried in your arms, I rested my head on your lap and fell asleep, I hold onto you like you’re my life line, I miss you every day and each second you’re not beside me.” My voice was raised now, angry from not being able to convey my feelings.

Jonghyun shook his head, his eyes told me he was taken aback but the smile on his face was comforting. “You said you loved me, Jinki.” He clarified. “Ok! Yeah”, I mumbled lamely realizing my outburst was not required because he was in fact just repeating what I said.

No! Wait a second, I thought. My eyes widened as it occurred to me that he hadn’t said he loved me, he said he liked me and had fallen for me but that was..not the same.

I wasn’t quite sure what my expressions betrayed but the next thing I knew I was pressed against the kitchen wall. “Finally.” I heard him say before we were kissing. My eyes fell shut and my hands automatically wrapped around Jonghyun, welcoming the feeling of ecstasy. His hands held either side of my face and his lips mimicked mine in movement. It was a long kiss, kind of like making up for lost time.

Our lips moved apart as we in some much needed air. However my arms were still around him and his hands had now dropped to my waist. He pulled me closer till our foreheads touched.

“I too wanted to show you before I said it. I love you too, Jinki.”

A smile broke across my face as Jonghyun smirked with triumph. There was really nothing left to do, other than kiss some more that is.

Somehow after what seemed like a miracle, we were now seated on the couch eating the breakfast we had prepared. There wasn’t really a name to call it; it came close to egg wraps. A brilliant combination of egg fried, wrapped in some kind of pancake mix. Well it just made the top of my “favourite breakfast” list.

The two of us soon fell into easy chit chat. There seemed to be so much to say even if we saw each other every day. Yet when breakfast was done I still had a few heavy questions on my mind.

“You can get your bag and books over here while you stay. I guess our uniforms the same size so that’s fine, I have a few spare.” I tried to sound as nonchalant as I possibly could without seeming desperate to extend our time together.

Jonghyun froze while washing the dishes and I knew I wouldn’t like what came next. “I can’t.” He mumbled, more to himself than to me. “Why not? You said you wouldn’t go back home while your sister was there”, I mentioned calmly but it sounded accusatory instead.

Jonghyun’s eyes were saddened but I also noticed resolve in them. “I won’t be going back. I’ll stay over at Kibums like I always do. W

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter