So much more:

Where exactly is home?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

8 Missed calls – Key
4 Missed calls – Taemin
5 Missed calls – Minho
…none from Jonghyun.

I was being a coward and doing what cowards did best, I was hiding.

That day I ran from Jonghyun’s home, all the way till I almost passed out at my front door. I didn’t slow down or halt for a breath, all I did was run with one goal in mind. To return back to the solitude of four empty walls.

Facing Jonghyun after that seemed impossible. So, I skipped school for the next 3 days. The worst that could happen was a notice to my parents. And of course my parents would never see that notice due to their constant absence.

I had created an illusion of family in my mind, something to cover up the emptiness and security of having a home to go back to. Jonghyun had shattered that illusion which I had so carefully created to protect myself. He showed me everything I ever wanted and realized I didn’t have, he had mocked me and broken me. I had been through this before and knew exactly what to expect. But the possibility of being wrong haunted me.

One moment I was wrapped in my blankets and refusing to get out of bed and in the next, I was on my feet and running to the door.

“Open this door NOW Lee Jinki. You have some major explaining to do.” I heard a familiar voce yell. My fears came to life as I registered his tone. I had officially gotten on Kibums bad side.

As I turned the door knob, it somehow bust open with a furious Key walking inside. He slammed the door behind him and narrowed his burning gaze at me. He stabbed a finger into my shoulder as he spoke. “What.is.wrong.with.you?” he accentuated each word with a painful jab.

I covered my bruised shoulder in defense and stared at him questioningly even though I knew full well why he was here.

“So for some reason both you and Dumb-hyun have decided to skip school for 3 days. Great! But now I’m forced to break down doors to figure out what happened. I don’t know what took place but I did solve a part of it. He confessed and you freaked the hell out.”

Kibums clipped tone and blunt words made me flinch. I didn’t want to hear what he had to say but I feared to anger him more. Meanwhile my mind repeated his words. Jonghyun hadn’t gone to school either.

The blonde haired boy sighed as if tired having to explain something to an idiot.

“I was the one who insisted he confess to you. I was so annoyed, waiting around for fate to work its magic. It was obvious he liked you and Jinki, you pretty much blushed every time he said your name. I wondered if your brain had enough blood circulation.” He said without breaking stride.

I raised my hands to my cheeks in pure horror. Had I been so obvious?

“Don’t worry, I call him Dumb-hyun for a reason. It took me a while to convince him to confess. But the last thing I expected was for you to freak out. I decided to play cupid and now I have to clean up this mess.”  He claimed, not leaving a moment for me to argue. Saying nothing more, Kibum pulled out his cell phone and dialed a number.

“ Jonghyun!” he exclaimed into the phone, sounding worried. My head snapped up at the mention of his name. What was Kibum planning in that evil mind of his? He placed a finger to his lips and instructed me not to speak.

“It’s about Jinki. He hasn’t been coming to school so I went by his place to check. He’s got a bad fever and is unconscious. I need you to come here and I already called for help.” He managed to say in an urgent tone. My eyebrows rose as I caught Kibums smile of satisfaction when he ended the call.

“He should be here in 10 minutes.” He said while looking pleased with himself for his lie. “What!? I needed to get him here so you could talk this out like normal people. I can’t be both best friend and marriage councilor at the same time.” He retorted after catching the look of disapproval on my face.

A moment or two passed in silence before he spoke again. “Listen, Jinki, I know he really likes you so gi-“

“No!” I said in a curt voice. Only then did I realize it had been the first time I had spoken. Kibum had done all the talking so far. His sudden gentle voice made me think of Jonghyun, his face when I pushed him away.

I still recalled his words. He had begged me for a chance to explain but I had refused. His face was so sad and terribly heart broken when I left and no matter how much I tried, I could never erase that picture from my mind. I doubted he would even come for me now.

Years ago I had suffered a broken heart. I had loved and been betrayed and yet some part of me still went back to him, wondering if we still had a chance away from the public eyes of our school. But I remembered his words. He claimed he only dated me as a joke to see how low a sick, pathetic and twisted person like me was willing to go to rid myself of my loneliness. And deep down, he made me believe I was that person.

My nightmares still consisted of the voices and laughter of the school as I buried myself in tears. But I was far passed that now and I wouldn’t allow another re-cap of it.

“Jinki!” Kibums loud voice called me back from my past.

“I don’t know what keeps you away from people. I can see it, you know?” he claimed as he rested a reassuring hand on mine. I immediately stepped away, afraid of his words. Afraid that he would speak the truth I was never going to admit aloud.

“Jonghyun cares for you and I can see you trusted him. Please, leave your demons behind and listen to him. He’s not that different from you, so let him tell you his story and then you can decide.” he said with a soft smile.

There was an honesty in Kibums voice that I had never heard him use before and it made me want to tell the truth. I wanted to tell him how much Jonghyun truly meant to me. How I had considered his arms as my safe haven, how he made me feel like I belonged and just how much I wanted to belong to him.

But there wasn’t time and I was thankful for the bell ringing and frantic knocking on my door.

Kibum smiled again and slipped back into his angry and pissed off attitude, making me doubt if my friend had a split personality. He opened the door and revealed Jonghyun standing at the threshold.

He was panting, his chest rising up and down in quick movements as his lungs struggled for air. His forehead was creased with sweat that soaked the front of his plain black shirt as well. His black hair was tousled and uncombed. His beautiful marble eyes were searching the house until they rested on me.

I in my breath at his smothering gaze. Confused and..relieved? he seemed happy to see me. The connection broke hastily as Kibum yanked Jonghyun inside the house, causing him to stagger. Kibum looked unforgiving, one hand resting on his hip and cat-eyes daring to disobey.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter