Chapter 9

Strangers in Love

 

 

 

Yamada followed Chinen to the rooftop and there he saw Inoo-senpai hugging the little girl. He just listened to their conversations.

“Stop crying Yuri... Those girls are not worth it. How dare they to slap you?! If only I am still studying here, I can protect you. Do you want me to teach them a lesson?” comforted the older girl to her favorite kouhai.

“Se-senpaii... Waaah.. Do.. Do you know how hard they slapped me?! I.. I never did anything wrong. It’s all because of that Buta!!! I.. I should just get away from him!” cried Chinen.

“Hai, hai... Whatever you do, remember, I will support you, okay? Now, give me the famous Chinen Yuri smile!” she said while wiping Chinen’s tears.

Yamada is still very confused of what is happening. Why did the girls slap her and why does Chinen blame Yamada?

“Senpai, Arigatou! I really missed you so much. Those girls are so head over heels Yama-chan. I think they are just jealous of my closeness to him. But, we’re just friends!”

Yamada sighed, now he knew what happened. He have no interests in girls. He’s here to study and improve, not to flirt.

“I know Yuri, I know... Besides, how can you fall for a stranger when you have been so much in love with someone already, right?”

“Un!” Chinen blushed. She nodded and hugged his admired senpai once again.

“So what’s happening with you and Ryuu?” asked Inoo.

Upon hearing this, he doesn’t know why, but Yamada felt his heart aching. Who is this Ryuu?

But the realization hit him. Why does he cares? Like what they’ve said, he’s just a mere stranger. Nothing more, nothing less. He hit his head, “She’s just a stranger Ryosuke, don’t think anything over than that, you’re also a stranger for her.”

Yamada leaves the rooftop. He is just Yamada, not Mr. Buta or anything. How stupid of him to think that they are close enough to be friends.

 

Meanwhile, the two girls continued their conversation.

“Ehh.. senpai, I... I still didn’t confess to him.” After saying this, she earned a whack from the older girl.

“Baka! It’s so long already! You should gather your courage! You know that Ryuu is a thick-headed person! He will not know even his own feelings if nothing will trigger it!”

“Ittai... You’re the one talking! Have you confessed to Yabu-senpai already?!” she asked teasingly, and she saw her senpai smirks.

“Nope, cause I just found the man of my dreams.” Inoo’s smile is so beautiful that a boy can melt right on the spot just by seeing it.

“EHHHH?!!! A NEW PERSON?! WHO IS HE SENPAI?!” asked Chinen eagerly.

“Yaotome Hikaru! He is studying Business Management in my university!”

“Yaotome? Don’t tell me... Yabu-senpai’s bestfriend?! But... You just met him right?!”

“Well... there’s a thing called Love at First Sight right? Even if we’re just complete strangers, love has made us know each other. And believe it or not, he already proposed to me!”

“EHHHHHH?!!!! HOW FAST!!! DON’T TELL ME THAT YOU’RE ALREADY PREGNANT?!”

The beautiful girl hit his cute kouhai’s shoulder, “Wh-what are you thinking! I’m not!”

“Phew, I just randomly thought it, haha! So did you accept his proposal?”

“Hai...” Inoo nodded shyly.

“Whoa, love definitely has its ways right?! I’m so happy for you senpai!”

“Arigatou, you should also make yourself happy! I’m always here for you, okay?”            

And they hugged each other tightly.

When Inoo-senpai left the school, Chinen is thinking deeply. She should really apologize to Yamada. It’s not his fault and she’s just taken by her emotion earlier.

And then, while walking, she bumped with Yamada.

“Ouch! Oh, Yama-chan!” she said cheerfully, preparing to apologize.

“Oh, Hi Chinen-san. I’m sorry to bump you. Jaa~” he quickly said as he leaves.

“Yama-“ but she can’t continue her apology because Yamada is now out of sight.

“What’s wrong with him? Since when does he calls me Chinen-san?” she just shrugged the thought and went back to her classroom.

When school ended, our little squirrel is looking for the ert pig, but she just can’t find him. She sighed, is he avoiding her?

When she is returning to her classroom to get her bag, a group of young boys is loudly talking at the room next to her classroom, she stopped and listened because she heard them, mentioning Yamada’s name.

“My wounds are still hurting! That Yamada Ryosuke have to pay for this!!!”

“So, this was the guys that Inoo-senpai mentioned?” she said to herself as she continued listening.

“Don’t even try bro, we’re lucky that I saw that baseball bat and hit him! Don’t you see that he’s so strong? If I didn’t hit him, we would all end up in the hospital!”

“Yeah, he’s crazily punching us yesterday just because of that stupid girl! Hah, as if she’s his girlfriend, we all heard her said it earlier right? That she didn’t like Yamada Ryosuke!”

Now Chinen is getting more curious, who is this lucky girl? Yamada seems to protect her from these bad boys. She thinks that the girl is stupid for not liking Yamada.

“Right! So do you want to continue our bet?! Whoever makes Chinen Yuri his girlfriend and have with her will win, okay?!”

Chinen just stand there, her jaws dropped. She’s so shocked of what she heard. So, Yamada get those injuries because of her? He risked his life fighting five huge boys because of her? He protected her! He cared for her! He doesn’t want these guys to harm her that’s why he fought them. And there she was, scolding Yamada yesterday for being an irresponsible person. She’s so stupid. And she remembered that she said earlier that she hated him.

Guilt is now running in her. She felt herself crying in despair. She must really apologize to Yamada. She now realized how much that boy worry for her.

But first, he entered the boys’ classroom, smiled at their shocked expressions and said sweetly, “Hello boys, don’t ever think of coming near me or I might break your faces and send you to hell, okay?”

She exited the room, still with that smile on her face leaving the five boys with their mouth open. She quickly get her bag and went home.

 

When Chinen entered their house, she saw an already cooked dinner at the dining table. She smiled and leave her bag in her room, changed her clothes and went to the room next to hers.

She knocks at it several times but there is no reply. She opened the door and found Yamada on the study table, maybe doing his assignments, there are earphones in his ears so maybe that is why he doesn’t hear her knock. Chinen pat his shoulder and he turned around.

“Yo, Yama-chan!” she said, smiling widely.

Yamada was mesmerized and just looked at her until he brings back his senses.

“Umm... hello Chinen-san. Do you need something?” he replied coldly.

“Hey, what’s with the sudden formality?! It’s giving me the creeps...”

“Well, we’re not really friends right. I am just considered a stranger here. And you’re also a stranger for me, so I must be acting formal to you. I’m so sorry for having no manners these past few days Chinen-san.” He said, again with a cold aura around him.

“Hey! Are you sick?! Where does Mr. Buta goes?!” she teased, holding his forehead.

Yamada slapped her hand away, “Excuse me Chinen-san, but if you don’t need anything and just wants to fool around, can you just leave my room? I am studying here. Besides, I’ve already prepared dinner. And don’t come in my room again if you’re scared. Geez, you’re old now, learn to take care of yourself! You’re a just a spoiled kid, gathering for attention. Pretending to be always weak, so that people will come to your aid.” he said harshly, not noticing that tears are forming in the small girl’s beautiful eyes.

 

“YAMA-CHAN NO BAKA!!!!” she shouted at him while she ran outside. 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~