Chapter 5

Strangers in Love

 


He is trying very hard to remember every name of the street, every appearances of the house, every establishments and so on. If he has no sense of direction, all that he can rely on is his brain. He is intelligent, all he needs to do is memorize his surroundings. That is what she told him before leaving their hometown. Yes, she believes in him. Waiting for him to comeback. Again, he smiled like an idiot while remembering the memory.

He saw different shops around. He suddenly felt the urge to bring Chinen there, especially the ice cream parlor. It would be fun if he has someone to enjoy the foods.

He entered the ice cream shop to check if their ice cream is delicious. When he entered, a lot of the girls looked to him and he noticed it.

“Am I really this popular?” he said to himself, smiling. He really doesn’t pay any attention to any girls, if Chinen didn’t mention it earlier, maybe he would not notice anything at all.

All eyes followed him, he saw numerous girls smiling at him, giggling, battling their eyelashes and trying hard for him to notice them. He sighed. He doesn’t want girls of that kind.

He sat next to the table of a group of boys, he recognize some of them, they all go to his school. Some of the girls in the shop sighed because they are hoping that he will sit next to them. He gently shook his head. Are girls really aggressive?

Then a waitress approaches him. “Sir what do you want.”

He looked at  her and saw that she doesn’t try to act cute at all. She is naturally cute, or should he say, beautiful, beautiful like a goddess. He also noticed that most of the boys inside are staring at her. He smiled at her, “One large serving of strawberry parfait please.” She smiled back, a sincere smile to a customer.

“Ok sir, I’ll bring your order later.”

After a few minutes, the same waitress brought his order to him.

“Enjoy your ice cream, sir.” She smiled and went to serve another customer.

Yamada is now staring at his strawberry parfait, it looks so delicious and he scooped a tablespoon of it and eat it. He smiled so wide. “Oishiiiiiiiiii!!!!” he exclaimed.

“Kyaaaaaahhh~~!” screamed some girls. He looked around and saw that the girls are watching him eat. Is he an endorser? Why the hell are they watching him eat. He shrugged, he will just ignore them.

He continued eating and he promised himself that the next time he went here, Chinen will be with him.

While eating, he overheard the conversation of the group of boys in the next table. Actually, he is not paying attention until he heard one of them say Chinen’s name. He listened carefully but still pretended that he’s just eating.

“Yeah bro, I also like that Chinen Yuri, she’s the cute girl in the next class right?” said the first boy.

“Yes, but she looks so smart to me, that’s why she is the top of her class, your plan will definitely not work. But whatever, all that matters is her face.” Another one said, unconcerned.

Yamada is getting irritated at them, he wanted to punch all of their faces but he contained his feelings and continued listening to the conversation.

“But she really doesn’t pay attention to boys, some of my friends told me that many boys already approached and confessed to her but she turned them down. They said that she is already in love with someone...” said another one.

“Do you want to bet on her? We will all give 1000 yen on the person who will make her his girlfriend and have with her. Deal?”

By hearing that, Yamada burst out. “WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?! WHAT RIGHT DO YOU HAVE TO BET ON A GIRL LIKE THAT?! YOU ARE SO LOW, SCUMBAG, PESTS!!!” he shouted at them, even he doesn’t know why he is behaving like that. He then punched the person who opened the betting topic.

All the persons in the shop is now staring at them, dumbfounded. The whole shop is now in chaos.

“Come with me...” he hissed at the group of boys and get out of the shop.

“What the hell?! He will pay for this!!!” screamed the boy that was punched and they all went out, following Yamada to a vacant lot.

They started punching each other. Yamada is really in a disadvantageous situation, it is a 5 versus 1 battle and he is small compared to these boys.

However, he punched like he is some crazy animal. He is now bruised all over his body but he doesn’t care, the rain also started to fall.

“Oh great...” he muttered under his breath, he is still punching two guys in front of him, they are much bruised than him. With another kick, both fell on the ground, crouching in pain.

His vision became blurry because of the rain. He kept on searching the other three and when he saw one, he quickly run to him and punch him mercilessly. He is on top of him and when he felt something strong hit his back. He collapsed right there.

“Hey... is he dead?” said the one who hit Yamada with a baseball bat.

“I... I don’t know! Let’s get out of here!” And they all run, carrying their injured friends.

Yamada just lay there, drenched in the rain with his whole body aching badly.

~~

The little girl is still inside the house, it’s only 5pm, but she is getting worried for Yamada. Their neighborhood is not that big, he should have already finished touring around but he’s still not home. Maybe he’s lost.

“I guess, I shouldn’t worry, he can take care of himself.” She looked outside and see how strong rain the rain is. She has finished cleaning the house except Yamada’s room.

She entered his room. It was very neat, nothing worth of cleaning.

“Is she a girl? He’s more organized than me!” she laughed. Chinen started exploring his room, she lay on his bed and remembered that it was only yesterday when he arrived and blushed at the memory that they had slept in this bed.

She turned sideways and saw a picture frame in his bedside table. She reached it and smiled at the photo inside it.

It was his whole family, all of them are good looking and have the same smile, that beautiful smile.

She scanned each of their faces and realized that the girl that is next to Yamada is not their relative.

She is beautiful, has big brown eyes, short and straight hair, and has a very beautiful smile. She is embracing Yamada’s arms in the picture. She frowned, who is this girl?

Then a thunder striked outside and our little frightened princess jumped out of the bed. She was now shivering.

Chinen quickly went to the living room, hoping that Yamada will go home as soon as possible. While praying, she heard someone ringing the doorbell.

She hurriedly went to the gate only to find the awaited person soaked in the rain and is full of bruises and blood.

“Yo... I didn’t get lost!” he smiled cheerfully until he collapsed in front of Chinen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~