“Dara’s Birthday”

I Can't Love You The Way You Want It To Be

Dara’s POV

I am seated at the passenger seat of his car as I steal glances on him while he drives to home.

“Why are you looking at me like that?..Is there something on my face?” Oh-owh!..He caught me. !. He’s not looking at me; I think he caught me on his peripheral view.

“Oh?..a-ah..no-nothing” I look away and focus myself at the view outside my window pane.

“Ok..”  I heard him say. Then it’s silent again.

“Do you have something to ask me?” He breaks the silence. I look back at him with a questioning face.

“Eh?.”

“Come on!..I know you tokki..” Gosh!..he calls me with that weird pet name he gave me since we’re kids. But actually, he’s right. I have something on mind that needs to be asked.

“Yah!..Stop calling me that..call me noona because I am older than you.”

“What is it?” he totally set aside my correction.

“I am curious to what you are doing lately..What type of work are you doing?”

“I can’t tell you right now..You don’t have to be worried..” I don’t know, but after he said that, my heart doesn’t feel comfortable. But I still manage to show him my calm smiling face as he looks at me waiting for my reply.

“Ah!..Before I forget..tomorrow is your birthday right?” I nod at his question.

“Do you want to go somewhere?..I mean..I could bring you and Sanghyun to a place that you want to celebrate your birthday.” He is always like this, planning things ahead of time.

“Actually I have one place in mind that I want to go tomorrow.” I shyly replied as I remember the place.

“Where?” He asked as he continues to look on the road while driving.

“Amusement Park!.”

“EH?..Don’t you think you are old enough to go there?..Besides..we always go there during your birthdays..Don’t you have any other places in mind?” I thought for awhile.

“None!”

“Haist!..Ok fine..I’ll bring you and Sanghyun there..” I smiled.

“Thanks!”

Seunghyun’s POV

We arrive home safely. I go straight to my room with the enveloped that Minho gave me. I lock the door and go to my end table drawer for my mac notebook. I quickly open it and pull out the CD inside the envelope. I place it on the disc reader and play it. It’s the CCTV footage of my assassination movement. Then when I am done watching it, I take out all the things inside the envelope. There is a black mini flash drive. I insert it on the USB port. I double click the folder named 2010. Inside it are the transactions that were illegally done by Mr. Jung. I read it and noticed a couple of names that are familiar to me. Then there is this another document file entitled Watch Lists,  I double click it and get surprised to what I see.

“Steven..can I come in?” I hear Dara’s voice so I quickly close my mac-book and hide under the blanket my things.

“Yeah!.” I said and she twists the door knob to open the door.

“What is it?” I ask.

“Let’s go and eat down stairs..Mom cooked dinner for us.”

“Ok!..Go ahead..I’ll follow in awhile.” She nods and excited herself. I fix myself and put back my mac-book inside the drawer. While the contents of the envelope, I put back inside it and hide it inside my closet where no one can see. I go out of my room to eat dinner with them.

As we eat, they talks about celebrating Dara’s birthday. Mr. and Mrs. Park will not be here tomorrow because they have a business trip schedule tomorrow morning, so that’s why they plan on celebrating it when they come back from the trip. During the conversation, Mr. Park’s phone rings. He excuses himself for a second to answer the call without leaving his seat. I watch him secretly while talking over the phone. Then he suddenly raises his voice.

“What are you talking about its gone?” he asked the other line. I think I have an idea to what they are talking about. I can’t help smirk at it as I continue to eat. Then Mr. Park totally stands up and leaves the dining area while talking on the phone.

****

It’s dara’s birthday. Seunghyun and Sanghyun plans to surprise her before she wakes up. Mr. and Mrs. Park left early.

“Hyung, you are really a good cook..Noona will surely love this..” Sanghyun compliments him and give two thumbs up. He returns it with a smile.

“Let’s bring it to her room..” he said and the young boy agrees. As they enter her room, she’s still sleeping. They stand next to her bed and started singing a Happy Birthday song. Dara hear their voices and awakes her from slumber. She slowly opens her eyes and look to the owners of the voices, she smiles when she sees them. She sits up on her bed and Sanghyun take a sits beside her while closing the song.  She can’t help but smile at her dongsaeng and to Seunghyun who’s holding the tray of food for her as he stands next to her bed.

“Happy Birthday noona!” Sanghyun happily exclaimed as he open his arms widely.

“Happy Birthday.” Seunghyun followed after him. Dara gladly hugs her dongsaeng and kiss his cheek.

“Thank you, hyun-ah!.” While hugging him, she looks up and sees Seunghyun looking at her with a bright smile, so she utters a whispering ‘Thank you’ to him and he returns it with a polite bow. Sanghyun break the hug and reach out for the tray on Seunghyun.

“Noona, Steven hyung prepare all this for you..and I am telling you..His a master chef!..” the young boy boastfully said to her.

“Really?” she’s doubtful about it, but she’s just testing them.

“Come on!..Taste it, so you will know..” he said before looking at Seunghyun who’s standing confidently next to them. Dara take the spoon and scoop some soup on her bowl then slowly sip it. The two are anticipating her reaction.

“How’s it, noona?..How’s the taste?..Good right?” Sanghyun is very much excited to know her answer so he is bugging her since she’s not saying anything plus the fact that her face is expressionless. Then suddenly, her face brightens up and raises two thumbs up in front of them.

“Yeah!..It’s perfect!” Sanghyun pumps his fist in the air.

“YEAH!..I knew it!..” He added and looks back to Seunghyun to give him a high five and he gladly do it.

****

At the amusement park…

“No!”

“Yes!”

“No! No! No!”

“Yes! Yes! Yes!” Dara and Sanghyun are arguing with Seunghyun about riding a roller coaster. The two are forcing him to go with them, but he is afraid of heights.

“Please, Steven..It’s my birthday today..please..” Dara is doing her best to plead. But Seunghyun just turn his back on them.

“I’m sorry, but I can’t..” he answered. Sanghyun didn’t lose his hope. He go in front of him and kneel down.

“Hyung..please..” Seunghyun is shock with the young boy’s action.

“YAH!..GET UP!..HYUN-AH!” but Sanghyun is so stubborn just like her sister. He won’t get up until he gets what he wants.

“HAIST!..” he is getting pissed with the situation and when he is about to walk out, Dara pulls him at the back. When he looks at her, she’s kneeling to with her pleading puppy eyes.

“YAH!..Are you two that desperate to make me ride that stupid things?..”

“Please..pretty pretty please..” Dara begs.

Then after a few minutes of convincing him, the three ended up riding the rolling coaster. He’s been screaming his heart out like hell, while the two are enjoying the best time of their life because of Seunghyun’s horrible facial reactions during the whole ride. When they touch down, he quickly look for a place to throw up everything he eats. Dara followed him while Sanghyun buys water for him.

“Yah, are you alright?” She asked while soothing his back. Then give him a handkerchief and he accepted it. He wipes his lips when he is down. Dara assists him to sit on the nearby bench.

“You, bad girl!” he commented while his head is still facing the floor and Dara continue to sooth his back. She is smiling on him. When he feels a bit ok, he looks at her on his side. She quickly changed her expression in to a concerned and sorry one.

“sorry..” she added. He didn’t say anything, instead he lean his back on the bench, his face looking up the sky and close his eyes totally ignoring her.

“sorry steven..” but she hear nothing from him. She shook his shoulder, but he is not moving an inch.

“YAH!..are you ignoring me now?..I already told you sorry..” but he still ignores her. Dara crossed her arms and look away from him.

“HMP!..FINE!..If you don’t want to talk to me..FINE!” she is like a kid throwing tantrums because of not getting what she wants. Seunghyun opens his left eye to check on her and he can’t help but smile. He succeeds in making her feel guilty and annoyed. When she is about to look back on him, he quickly close his eye and pretend like he is still mad at her.

“I’M DONE WITH THIS!..I’M LEAVING!” she announces and stood up but before she could take her step, she’s being stop by him and pulls her back to the bench. She’s surprised by his action.

“YAH!..Why did you st~” she is still arguing with him when he suddenly move his head and get close with hers. Their faces are inches away from each other. Dara’s heart started beating fast inside her chest, like it’s going to run away from her system. Omo!..What the heck is happening?..

“I’m hungry..let’s eat hot dog..” Seunghyun said, but Dara is still frozen on her spot. Heck!..What the hell is he saying?..I can’t hear him?..All I can hear is the loud beating of my heart. What is happening to me?

“Hey, are you alright?..” He snaps his finger in front of her and like magic she returns to the real world.

“H-huh?..Di-did you say something?” she stutters as she looks away from him while holding her chest.

“Are you alright?..I said..I am hungry..You want hotdogs?”  He is concern with her sudden change.

“a-ahh..ye-yeah!” she continues to stutter. He looks at her like he’s observing, when he is assure that she is fine he said

“Ok!..Wait for me here..I’ll buy food for us.” and left. Sanghyun comes back with 3 bottles of water inside the plastic bag.

“Noona, sorry it took me awhile to bought this..” but Dara is not listening to him, she didn’t even notice his arrival. Sanghyun lied to her. He was there not so far from them. He is watching her sister. He knew that Dara has feelings for his hyung and he just want so proof to confirm his hypothesis. He even asked Bom about it and she also said the same thing.

“Noona, do you like hyung?” his sudden question shoots into her ears like a bullet that trigger her to stop the deep thoughts.

“Eh?..Oh, you’re here!” she only noticed him.

“I am asking you noona..Do you like hyung?.” He repeats his question clearly. It’s obvious that she’s caught off guard by his question.

“What?..Are you out of y~”

“Stop pretending noona..I can feel it..You like him.” He said with no hesitation. Dara don’t know what to answer him because she doesn’t know if it is right. She just looks at him with an apologetic look.

“Aist!..Don’t look at me like that..It’s not like you have committed a sin..Look..if you like hyung I’d be happy for the both of you..because I know he can take care of you..and I know that he won’t hurt you..He is a good person..I am more at ease if he will be your man..We all know that he is not blood related to us..so there is nothing wrong with you falling for him or vice versa..so cheer up!..you have nothing to worry about.” Sanghyun said and face his sister with full of sincerity in his words. Dara is touched with it so she hugs him.

“Thank you, hyun-ah!..but I don’t know if he feels the same way too..”

“I know and I can feel he did..just wait and believe in him.” He replied easing his sister’s heart.

****

At their house…

“Hyung, Noona, I’ll go up first..I still need to do my homework..” Sanghyun bids goodbye and open the backseat door and leave without even waiting for them to reply. He wants the two to have a moment so he left early. Inside the car, Dara and Seunghyun are quite until she decides to break the silence.

“Ah..Thank you!”

“Don’t thank me first..I still have a surprise for you..” He said and starts the car engine again.

“Eh?..and where are we going again?”

“Wait and see.”

****

Seunghyun brought Dara to the han river.

“Wooow!..” she’s amaze in the view.

“I asked Sanghyun about something that you wanted the most and he told me that you dream of going in to this place before..so now, I am granting your wish.” He said while watching her walk ahead of him.

“That kid!”

“Actually, this is my favorite place too.” He reveals and she turns to look at him.

“Really?..Why?”

“Let’s not think about it..What matter now is you are here..You must enjoy the moment..We arrive on time.” He said as he glanced in to his watch.

“On time?..Why?”

“Look at the sky..Then do a countdown..”

“Eh?..I don’t get it.” she asked and not doing what he said so he come to her and forced her to turn around and look up the sky. He is now standing behind her while both of his hands are placed on her shoulders. She get conscious about it so she cant help but look at his hand over her shoulder.

“10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5..yah!..count with me.”

“oh!..sorry..5, 4, 3, 2”

“1!” the both of them said in chorus. Then the sky suddenly lights up with fireworks in different type.

“WOAH!..IT’S AMAZING!” she is in awe looking at the view. Those fireworks came from the other side of the river. Dara don’t know where is the exact place those fireworks came from; they just enjoy the beautiful view. The show lasted 30 minutes.

“Did you like it?” He asked and she nods her head without facing him. They remained in that position after the show.

“How did you know that this will happen?” she asked still looking up into the sky.

“I just know.” He simply said. He actually doesn’t know the reason. It was only his parents who told him that.

“Does it happen always?”

“Nope!..it only happens twice a year.”

“Wow!..and luckily..it happened during my birthday?..What a coincidence..” she commented.

“Yeah!” but the fact is, it is not coincidence. There is a real reason about it and both of them don’t know. Seunghyun only knows that the fireworks show only happens during his birthday and dara. He observed that because he often came there alone to watch it. But now, he is happy to watch it with her.

“If it only happens twice a year, I hope it will also happen during your birthday!..Let’s go back here on your birthday..Who knows..” Seunghyun gives them a false date of his birth so they don’t know when his real birthday is. At first he feels guilty about it and wanted to tell them the truth, but when he finds out that her dad is one of those people who killed his parents he kept his real identity. All he wants is revenge and nothing else.

“Let’s go!..It’s getting late now..you still have a comeback show tomorrow.” totally avoiding the topic. He let go of her and turn his back as he walk back to the car. Dara notice his sudden change of mood, but still follows him. She gives him a surprise back hug and it made him freeze on the spot.

“Thank you!..This is the best birthday I ever had.” She said while hugging him. He was touch by her action and he wants to hold her hands that are hugging him from behind, but he fights the urge to do so. ‘I can’t let my barrier down and be weak..because it won’t help me fulfill my revenge.’  He thought before removing her hands on his waist.

“Go inside the car..It’s getting cold..We must leave now..” he said plainly and left Dara on her spot.