Rapunzel

The Sharehouse

Gain had heard the fighting and she was sure Jia had too. Both their rooms were on the main floor with Leeteuk’s. But where Jia opted to stay in her room, Gain left hers in search of Heechul. As much as she cared about Leeteuk, Heechul would always be her first concern.

Climbing the stairs, Gain stopped outside Heechul’s door, listening for anything out of the ordinary. He was completely silent and Gain slowly opened the door.

Heechul’s room was decorated in dark colors. All the furniture was dark wood or black and he’d painted an accent wall deep red. His closet and the pink flowered comforter on his bed were the only splashes of color. His bed was directly across from his door and Gain could see Heechul curled up under the blankets with his back to her.

Closing his door behind her, Gain didn’t bother with hellos as she lifted Heechul’s covers and slid into bed behind him. Cuddling up close against his back, Gain wrapped her arm around his waist hugging him tightly.

Heechul sniffled and relaxed in her hold.

“Heechul?” Gain asked softly.

Heechul rolled over in her arms. He was facing her, but didn’t give her a chance to really look at his face as he cuddled against her chest. But she’d already seen the shimmer of tears in his eyes and she held him tightly, petting through his hair.

She felt anger for Leeteuk, making her best friend cry like this. She also felt anger for herself for not making Hyuna stop. But she couldn’t voice any of that to Heechul. Right now, nothing mattered more than reminding him he was loved.

“Your hair’s getting longer,” she said softly, kissing the top of his head.

He nodded, keeping his tight hold around her as he sighed shakily. “I want to let it grow long,” he said in a tear stained voice.

“Not Rapunzel long?”

Heechul chuckled and shook his head. “Although I’d like to have her skills.”

Gain noted his voice was coming out clearer and she laughed softly. “I’d like the skills too, maybe I could have gagged Teukie for you and stopped Hyuna when I had the chance.”

Heechul sighed, knowing for sure now that Gain knew what happened. “You know I have to tell Taeyeon. He’ll try and keep it a secret from her, but he can’t.”

“You’re too good of a person, Heechul.” Gain smiled.

Heechul released his hold on her and moved to rest his head on the pillow, looking at her. “I’m really not though. I’m just as bad as Hyuna, having dirty thoughts for an engaged man.”

Gain kept her smile as she held Heechul’s cheek, wiping his tears. “But you would never act on the thoughts. You’re always putting other people’s feelings before your own.”

Giving a shaky sigh, Heechul rolled his eyes a little. “I would rather be alone. Having good friends is okay, but I don’t want any relationships.”

Aside from Simon, only Gain knew that Heechul had had a rocky past with relationships, both with men and women. The last guy he’d been with had been physically abusive and it left Heechul really broken when he’d finally gotten away from him. Heechul had slowly put the pieces of his real personality back together, dropping the meek creature his abusive boyfriend had turned him into. Gain admired how tough Heechul was. Heechul knew more about people in his short 30 years of experience than Gain figured she would ever know. He could see quickly to motives and always knew what to say and when.

“You’re my role model,” she said, half teasing, half serious. She blinked cutely and pretended she was swooning hard for him.

Heechul laughed softly and put his hand on her face, covering up her look so he couldn’t see it. “You’re an idiot.”

Gain kissed his palm and smiled as she squeezed in close to him, cuddling against his chest the way he had done to her not long ago. “I know you’ll talk to Taeyeon. I also know that things between Taeteuk are probably over,” Gain said. “So don’t go there expecting to be a hero and get them back together. Don’t let yourself get caught up in their mess, okay?”

Heechul nodded and held her, petting through the back of her hair. “How did you know I was planning to talk them into each other again?” He asked softly, smiling.

“Because I know you want the best for everyone. But Leeteuk is obviously unhappy and I think it’s beyond the point of intervention. They just need to leave each other alone.”

Heechul sighed. “How did Teuk even assume that I’d want to do what Hyuna was doing to him?”

Gain smiled sardonically. “Because Taeyeon was complaining about all of us. She told Leeteuk that I’m too friendly, Simon is a pot head and you’re gay.”

Heechul blushed. “I’m not though.”

“I know,” she chuckled. “It’s just what people do when they’re angry, pick on everything but the real issue.”

Heechul frowned and sighed heavily. “Do I come off as gay?”

Gain laughed softly and leaned back to look at him. “Not to me and you’re nowhere near as bad as you all think Kwonnie comes off as gay.”

“There’s that at least,” Heechul chuckled. “I like girls, just as much as I like guys.”

“I know, Chullie. You love everyone.”

Heechul laughed softly and squished her into a tight hug. “Thank you for coming to check up on me. I really love you Gain.”

“I love you, Heechullie. You’re my favorite.”