News

The Sharehouse

A few days saw Heechul and Donghae on the beach in quiet discussion. Heechul couldn’t hide his hurt feelings from his best friend. Donghae had also picked up on the sense of weight being lifted off of Heechul’s shoulders.

Heechul appeared a few years younger at least. As Donghae questioned him about it, neither of them could come up with answers to why. Feelings simply were lighter and the lack of Victoria had made moments in the house less murky as to everyone’s intentions.

Short of words, Donghae didn’t spend a long time with goodbyes. Hugs were given to those he cared about most and waves and handshakes went to the others.

As he left, Heechul felt the same kind of loss he always did. Even though Donghae was a phone call away, Heechul felt like he was missing pieces of himself when he wasn’t around. He stood alone on the porch for a while, leaning against the house near the door, thinking.

It was Leeteuk that came outside to make sure he was okay. He didn’t ask any questions as he wrapped his arms around Heechul’s shoulders.

Heechul’s hands found a comfortable place on Leeteuk’s arm and he rested his head against his chest. Heechul felt a soft kiss on the top of his head and he closed his eyes.

“Do you think things will be okay?” Heechul asked softly.

Leeteuk was quiet for a while. Taking a deep breath he sighed with a smile. “Yes. I think things will be just fine.” He kissed the top of Heechul’s head again and squeezed him. “Want to come inside? Simon’s making food. And Jia has news.”

Heechul nodded and rubbed his eyes, standing up straight. “Yeah, I could eat.”

Grinning, Leeteuk lifted him over his shoulder and patted his . Heechul squirmed and protested but Leeteuk ignored him as he carried him to the kitchen and plopped him down into a chair.

Simon was cooking japchae with Gain’s help. Jia was looking very pleased with herself at her spot at the table. Practically bursting, Jia hopped up.

“Okay, I can’t wait anymore.”

The rest of the house looked at her in varying degrees of interest and excitement at the sound of her English and lack of stutter.

“I got a job. I’m going to be a backup dancer in a music video.”

They stared in shock at her for a moment, all except Gain who had jumped over to envelope Jia in a tight hug.

“Wow,” Heechul said, grinning as he got up to hug her too.

Congratulations poured over her and Jia soaked up all the attention eagerly. “Thank you, thank you,” she said happily, hugging the others tightly when hugs were offered.

As they all found a spot to sit around the table, Gain and Simon brought out the food.

“So Jia’s set up. Leeteuk’s making bank off his songs, Heechul’s set for life.” Simon said between bites. “That leaves Gain and me to find something we love doing.”

Gain chuckled and cleared . “Actually. I’ve been offered a job in France as a speech therapist. I think I’m going to accept it.”

Heechul swallowed hard and stared at her.

Gain smiled and shrugged. “I’ve been wanting a change, and you knew I was looking to leave after this summer.”

“Yeah,” Heechul said. “But, I don’t want you to go.” He laughed softly and shook his head. “I won’t stop you. But I’ll miss the hell out of you.”

Gain grinned and leaned from her seat near his to take his hand. “I’ll always be in touch with my best friend. I refuse to let you go to distance, so don’t even worry about it.”

Heechul laughed and took his hand back, shaking her off. “Yah, don’t try and make me cry here.” He leveled his gaze at Simon. “Okay, what’s your news since everyone seems to have some. Are you leaving me too?”

Simon frowned and shook his head. “I’m not leaving. Who’s going to stop you from running around the house with Leeteuk if I’m not here?” He teased.

Leeteuk coughed into his food and Jia poked Heechul’s foot. “I’ll still be here to stop you doing that,” Jia joked.

Jia was the first to leave after dinner, retiring to her room to practice like usual. Leeteuk and Heechul went to keep each other company in Heechul’s room, leaving Gain and Simon to clean up.

“You wanna have a beer with me?” Simon asked when they’d finished with the dishes.

“Sure.” Gain nodded. “I’m not really ready to sleep yet.”

Simon smiled. “Outside?”

Gain agreed and took two bottles of beer from the fridge before leading the way outside. Simon didn’t stop in the backyard and led Gain down to the beach, finding a clean spot in the sand. Gain folded herself down next to him and twisted the top off her beer.

“So you’re going to play with the Frenchies for a while?” Simon said, chuckling.

Gain smiled. “I lived there for a while as a kid.” She sipped some beer. “I’ve always wanted to go back. It’s awesome that I can work there.”

Simon couldn’t think of any other questions, so he asked an obvious one. “So French is one of your many, many languages?” His tone was teasing.

“You know that, shut up.” She laughed and nudged his shoulder with her own.

“Heechul’s gonna miss you,” Simon offered after some silence. “But he’s got Leeteuk, so that’s whatever.” He shrugged and looked over the water, slowly losing his taste for the beer in his hand.

Gain shrugged. “I think he’ll be okay. He’s got you and Leeteuk. Jia will still be around. It feels like the right time to go. To break free and do something for myself.”

Simon nodded slowly. “I’ll miss you,” he finally admitted, not looking at her.

A smiled started in the corner of Gain’s mouth and slowly spread across her lips and up into her eyes. “Really? Silent and aloof Simon is going to miss me?”

Simon laughed. “I’m not all that stuff. I’m just a guy.”

Gain grinned and nodded. “Exactly.” She stuck her beer in the sand by her side and wrapped her arms around his waist, leaning on his shoulder. “I’ll miss you too.”

Simon relaxed at the feel of her closer to him. Gain was who kept him sane while the rest of the house was falling apart. He’d grown to quickly like her, love her as a sister even. Now that she was going, it was going to be tough. He’d handle it though.

“You don’t let anyone take advantage of you, got it?” Simon said looking at Gain though her face was too close to see her properly. “And if someone gets on your nerves, you call me and I’ll come over there and tell them off.”

Gain laughed softly. She knew Simon wasn’t kidding, but it was endearing to hear him vowing to take care of her. “Can I call you just to talk?”

Simon squinted in suspicion but shrugged, lifting her head a little with the motion. “I don’t care. But I’m not really a talker.”

Gain nodded. “I know. But I might think of a joke or see a hot girl and have to tell you about her.”

Simon shook his head. “I’ve got pictures of the hottest girl, I don’t need that.”

Gain sat up a little to look at him and held up her fingers to make quotation marks as she said, “Pictures?”

Shaking his head, Simon smirked and leaned to kiss her. “Pictures of you.” He looked away quickly, staring out at the water again while even he came to terms with the fact that he’d just kissed Gain.

Gain brought her fingers to her lips as she stared at Simon. She slowly smiled and moved back into her position against his shoulder with her arms around his waist.