Clouds

The Sharehouse

Heechul was standing on the beach, looking out at the waves and listening to them crash gently against the beach. The sun had long since gone down and the moonlight was glittering like a scatter of stars along the water. A familiar voice said his name and Heechul turned, smiling as he expected to see Leeteuk.

It wasn’t Leeteuk.

His old boyfriend was there, sweet words and open arms. A daunting presence that screamed danger, but Heechul couldn’t help walking toward him. When they were standing mere inches apart, the smile on his boyfriend’s face, turned sinister and he raised a hand. He hit Heechul so hard, his knees buckled under him and he fell against the sand, holding his cheek as hot tears filled his eyes.

With a gasp, Heechul woke up, safe in his bed with the glow-in-the-dark star stickers on his ceiling. He was safe, he was alone, he was home. Heechul sat up and rubbed his face, struggling to see the time on his alarm clock through the wetness in his eyes. It was 3AM, but Heechul doubted if he’d be able to go back to sleep. The dream had been too real.

Tossing his sheets aside, Heechul’s heart was still racing as he sat up slowly and wiped his eyes. The empty water glass on his nightstand seemed to mock him as he looked at it, wishing it were full. Grabbing it harshly to make it shut up, Heechul sighed and left his room for the kitchen.

Heechul filled his glass as quietly as possible and went into the front room to sit on the couch. He was scared to go back to sleep, worried he’d end up back in the same dream. Turning on the TV, he muted the sound and flipped through channels until he found an old horror movie.

Downing half his glass of water in a couple of big gulps, Heechul set the cup aside and relaxed on the couch, stretching his legs out. He blinked more and more frequently, threatening to nod off again. Pinching his leg to stay awake, Heechul sat up straighter.

Leeteuk came out of his room for the bathroom and paused when he saw the halation from the TV. Deciding he’d check on it later, Leeteuk continued to relieve himself before going back into the living room.

“Hey,” he said softly as he came to sit next to Heechul, propping bare feet onto the table.

Heechul nodded in reply, not taking his eyes off the TV. Whether he liked it or not, the dream had brought up all the bad memories he’d had to suffer through and they were all playing in his head. Over and over.

“Can’t sleep?” Leeteuk asked, not picking up just yet that something was really wrong.

“Nope,” Heechul said, his voice barely containing the tears hiding themselves in his throat.

That tipped Leeteuk off and he reached for the remote, turning off the TV and making Heechul look at him. “Hey, what’s wrong?” He asked as he held Heechul’s shoulders, looking into his eyes.

Heechul stopped trying to pretend he was okay and wrapped his arms tightly around Leeteuk, hiding his face against his shoulder. Leeteuk let his feet off the table and pulled Heechul onto his lap.

“Hey, it’s okay.” He said, not knowing what was wrong, but still wanting to reassure his boyfriend.

“Just, had a bad dream,” Heechul said softly, trying to keep his emotions out of his voice as he clenched his hands into tight fists of Leeteuk’s shirt.

Leeteuk squeezed him tightly, sliding a hand up to pet through his hair. Heechul not talking and staring at nothing, he couldn’t really handle, but bad dreams, he knew what to do with those.

“Hey, Heechul’s head,” Leeteuk said near Heechul’s ear. “This space is mine now, his dreams can only be filled with good things, or I’ll find you and you’ll be sorry.”

Heechul couldn’t help a little chuckle as his hands finally loosened their grip on Leeteuk.

“That sounds better,” Leeteuk said, happy to hear Heechul’s chuckle.

Heechul sat back on Leeteuk’s lap and held his boyfriend's cheeks in his hands. He looked to Leeteuk’s eyes, his own filled with tears he was refusing to let spill.

“None of that,” Leeteuk said with a soft smile as he brushed Heechul’s cheek with the back of his fingers.

Heechul closed his eyes, leaning a little to Leeteuk’s touch. He opened his eyes slightly, the tears dripping from them before he leaned in to kiss Leeteuk softly. When he pulled back, it was only enough to keep their lips brushing together and he lingered with soft pecks.

Leeteuk enjoyed each of the kisses, pressing his lips to Heechul’s in return every time. His arms moved to circle his waist, holding him close.

Letting go of Leeteuk’s cheeks, Heechul pulled back a little more to wipe his eyes. He tucked his arms around Leeteuk’s neck and rested against him, nuzzling his face into the crook of his neck.

“I dreamed I was on the beach,” Heechul began in explanation. “I was watching the water when my old boyfriend showed up. He hit me hard and I fell down before I woke up.”

Tightening his arms around him, Leeteuk nuzzled Heechul. “I’m sorry you’re dreaming things like that.” He said softly. “But you’re safe, you’re here with me, with Simon and none of your girls would let you get hurt either.” Leeteuk smiled.

Heechul nodded. “It just felt so real. When I woke up, my cheek still felt like it hurt and my heart was racing so hard.”

Leeteuk nodded and kissed Heechul’s cheek. “You want to come to bed with me, try and sleep more?”

Heechul moved to look into Leeteuk’s eyes, smiling softly. “Yes please.”

Leeteuk smiled and moved his arms under Heechul’s thighs, picking him up easily as he stood up too. Heechul blushed and wrapped his legs around Leeteuk’s waist, hiding his face by resting his chin on his shoulder.

Leeteuk’s room looked like a completely different planet compared to Heechul’s. Everything seemed to be a shade of white, from the bed to the keyboard and furniture. It stood in stark contrast to the darkness coupled with eclectic design of Heechul’s room.

“This is the first time I’ve been in your room,” Heechul said, smiling as Leeteuk set him on his feet.

“Do you like it?”

“I do. It feels like you in here. I feel safe.” Heechul kissed Leeteuk softly and moved to slide into his bed.

Leeteuk’s comforter enveloped Heechul, exactly the way he’d always imagined a cloud would feel. Leeteuk locked his door and turned off his lights before joining Heechul in the bed. They cuddled close to one another. Heechul reveled the impossible softness of everything as he wrapped his arm around Leeteuk. Allowing the older man to tuck his arm under his head, Heechul accepted the new pillow.

“Thank you,” Heechul said, pressing a kiss to Leeteuk’s lips.

Leeteuk kissed back, keeping his eyes closed as he held Heechul close. “You’re welcome,” he said sleepily.

Heechul smiled as he traced through Leeteuk’s hair and around his ear. His boyfriend was falling asleep to his touch and Heechul felt himself falling deeper in love with him. Listening to Leeteuk’s slow breathing, Heechul calmed down enough to sleep.

He didn’t dream.