Kids

The Sharehouse

Heechul had caught Victoria's movement up to her room from the corner of his eye. It was impossible to get up to her room without crossing through the living room when she'd come inside through the back door.

Only able to imagine how she felt after seeing what she had, Heechul felt terrible for her. He knew how easy and nice Chansung could be. He knew how hard it was to think of him in anything but the best light.

Kissing Leeteuk's cheek, Heechul pulled himself off the couch. Gain and Leeteuk figured where he was going. They watched him leave before cuddling up closer together in his absence.

Heechul knocked on Victoria's door. She didn't answer right away. He raised his knuckles to rap on the door again, but it opened before he could.

"Hi," Heechul said, smiling softly. "Can I come in?"

Victoria nodded and stepped back. She had calmed herself down and wiped the remaining tears off her face. Now she regarded Heechul with an expression void of emotion.

"Are you okay?" Heechul asked as he stepped inside and sat on her bed.

With a sigh and a soft smile, Victoria sat in her desk chair, facing Heechul. "I'm okay," she said. "Just shocked and... really sorry."

Heechul nodded and reached for her hands. She let him take them but didn't look into his eyes. "Hey, I don't blame you for anything okay? You had no way of knowing. Besides, I'm okay. I just got scared."

This, this exact reaction was what Victoria hadn't wanted. It was making her feel even worse.

"Why don't you ever get angry?" Victoria asked, looking to Heechul's eyes.

Heechul sighed and shrugged. "I used to. I used to get really hot headed and annoyed all the time. But it's just a waste of time. To spend every day thinking about all the bad things instead of trying to be a better person with each new moment? It's too exhausting for me to be angry."

Victoria laughed softly. "I don't think I'll ever understand how you work in there," she said as she poked Heechul's temple gently.

With a soft laugh, Heechul patted her other hand. "It's okay, I don't really understand myself half the time."

"You know yourself better than I know myself. You've taught me a lot, but I know there's still so much I need to learn." Victoria looked down again.

Heechul caught a hint of something in her voice. "Are you sure you're okay?" He asked. "I don't want you to think about this whole thing too much. You'll drive yourself crazy." He paused. "I know Chansung can be really persuasive without you even realizing what he's doing."

Victoria cringed at the mention of his name, it was slight, but Heechul still caught it.

"It's better if you just ignore him now. Don't give him any more of your time and don't ever be alone with him." Heechul said.

His voice held some of the tone a father might use with a daughter and Victoria felt horrible that she had to be parented instead of talked to like an adult. Heechul didn't think anything more of her than a kid who'd made mistakes. She felt like she might cry.

"Yeah. I know. I'll do better." Victoria said and took her hand back.

Heechul frowned and watched her for a moment. He got the feeling he should leave and stood up. "I know you probably don't want to talk to me about anything. But if you need to talk to anyone, we're here for you, okay?"

Victoria nodded. She waited for him to leave before locking her door again. Immediately, she got to work on booking a flight home.