Chapter 7

I Don't Know You

Sohee POV

“So…” Jongup said as he placed our tray onto an empty table. He pulled out at chair and told me to take a seat before he took the seat opposite me. Jongup handed me over a burger. The class room was made into a fast food restaurant and held the odd smell of mustard and oil like any other fast food place. “Sorry.”

I looked up from the curled fries that Jongup had just laid into the middle of the table. They knotted into each other in a red plastic basket. “For what?” I said as I blew on a hot curly fry.

“For kicking you out of the practice room…” Jongup tipped his head down to the point where he almost hit himself on the table. “I’m really sorry.”

I chewed cautiously on the fry as it seared the corners of my mouth. I let out a soft laugh, “is that what you’re so worried about?” I waved a hand, “It’s okay! Don’t worry about it!!”

“Really?” Jongup smiled innocently as he picked up a fry and popped it into his mouth. “Ah! It’s hot!” he yelped, fanning his mouth with a hand. I couldn’t help giggling as he hurriedly sipped some coke.

 

Jongup watched me finish the last half of my burger. I looked up after stuffing the last mouthful into my mouth. He smiled brightly at my squirrel-like face, amused as the lumps in my cheeks gradually shrunk.

“You eat well,” he laughed offering me the can of coke. I was about to take it but I stopped and pulled my hand back.

“Didn’t you drink from that?” I asked. It would be an indirect kiss.

Jongup looked at the coke and nodded innocently, “Yeah. Why? What’s wrong?”

I took the can. It doesn’t really matter if he doesn’t think of it like that… I was embarrassed that it even crossed my mind.

“What’s your relationship with Zelo?!” Jongup spurted. I almost spat out the coke.

“Uh—friends?! W—why do you ask??” I stuttered a bit too loudly. He looked at me as if he doubted me.

“Nothing. Never mind.” Jongup shrugged, looked away, and made a kind of confused face.

 

Jongup POV

Sohee excused herself to the bathroom. I put down the can of coke and shovelled my face into my hands. It was an indirect kiss. Did she really think nothing of it? I felt my face burn up beneath my hands. This is not me!!

 

Sohee POV

As soon as we stepped outside a group of boys surrounded us. "Yo! Jongup!! Longtime no see!!" one of them cheered, smiling brightly at us. The greeting was followed by several high fives, knuckles and bro hugs.

"Sohee, these are my middle school friends..." Jongup explained shyly.

"Ah! Who's this??" a rather tall boy asked. He bent down and adjusted his snapback cap to get a better view of me. My eyes were suddenly shielded from the bright rays of the sun as the boy's face met mine. He frowned, "I never knew you were into this type..."

"What?" Jongup said, distracted by his other friends.

"Nothing!" the boy grinned at Jongup. "Let's hang out for awhile!" He patted Jongup's shoulder and squeezed it firmly. Jongup's eyes flickered from his friends to me.

"It's okay." I confirmed after he hestitated to answer. The group smiled at me.

"See? She's fine with it! Let's go, it's been so long!!" All seven or so boys then took Jongup and dragged him around the festival stalls.

I strolled around alone after Jongup had been dragged away. I checked my phone. Jisu still hadn’t replied. What was she doing? Zelo had left me over five untouched messages. My finger hovered over Zelo’s contact, should I…? I didn’t even know why I was hesitating. Was it guilt? But why should I be guilty? He’s not my boyfriend… My phone suddenly started vibrating in my hands, whistling my ringtone. I hastily brought the phone to my ear, forgetting to check who it was.

“Yoboseyo?” said a familiar voice from the other end.

“Yoboseyo?” I echoed without much thought.

“Sohee? Where are you??” It was Zelo. I felt a sudden surge of panic overwhelm my body.

“U-u-uh… O-OH! ZELO?! W-where are YOU?!” I sounded so fake it was embarrassing.

“Sohee, are you okay?”

I nodded. Oh, right. He can’t see me nodding. “Y-yeah, I’m fine!!” I looked around. “I’m by the—” I paused and for a moment was about to lie to him. “I’m by the teacups…”

“Okay, stay there!” Zelo ended the call. He sounded like he was in a hurry.

 

Zelo came running towards me, completely out of breath. “Ah!” he exclaimed once he finally reached me. Zelo stood a meter away, bent over, hands on knees, panting loudly. He let out a chuckle. “I found you…” he managed to murmur between baited breaths. I felt my cheeks light up.

“You didn’t have to run.”

He looked up, sweat dampened his fringe. “I wanted to,” he said with a cheerful grin. “I didn’t want to make you wait!”

I gazed at him, a smile tugging softly at my face. "Really..."

"Hm?" Zelo stood up straight and took a few steps towards me. "Something wrong?" He said bending down to meet me at eye level.

"Nothing." I brushed away from his gaze and we began strolling around the campus.

 

"Hey." Zelo suddenly talked after a long interval of silence seperating us.

"Yeah?" I tilted my head up to face him, the sunlight blinding my eyes. The rays of light shone behind him, skimming past his pure skin. I covered my eyes with my hand. "What is it?"

"I was looking for you and I messaged you but you didn't reply..." His face looked gloomy and I could feel a urge to lie hanging in my throat.

"Really? I didn't recieve any." 

"Oh?" Zelo looked surprised. "Uh... do you want to grab something to eat?" he suggested.

"Actually I already ate."

"Alone?"

"Uh no with--" Zelo's smiling face caught my eye. Will that smile disappear if I tell him the truth? "Yeah, alone. Sorry, I should've waited." I lied again.

"No, I should've tried harder to find you." Zelo chuckled, always putting the blame on himself. Zelo stopped walking. His eyes clung onto something as a smile crept up his face. I trailed his eyes, the crane game.

 

Zelo slipped a coin into the slot. His face was in full concentration as he hovered the crane above the various stuffed toy animals. Zelo squinted his eyes and bit his lip as he continued adjusting the position of th crane. It had become dim and the lights of various stalls coloured his concentrated expression. He hit the button and the crane shot down with a whizzing sound affect generated by the machine. A stuffed toy bunny emerged from the pack and flew above them. Zelo pulled out the toy and handed it to me, a bright smile on his face.

"You've always been good at these," I laughed as I accepted the gift, "but you never keep the toys..." I fiddled with the glossy black nose of the toy bunny, it's ears and adjusting it's blue face mask.

Zelo's smile became a grin as the background noise became heavier. The carousel's melody playing through the school grounds. "It's because you like them better than me all the time."

I pressed my lips together as I examine the rabbit. I brought it to Zelo's face and grinned, "It looks like you!"

Zelo took the toy, his fingers slipping between mine. "Really?" he laughed. My heart went to overdrive and I hastiy took my hand back. "Are you okay??"

I nodded briskly and took a step back. "Y-yeah! I'm okay!" I yelled over the noise. If only the noise could hide my face, then he wouldn't have to see my blushing face.

  

Term 2 has started TT TT i'm back in the school, back, back in the school~ so I can't update as often TT TT ahhhhhhh! so sad i know i know.

There were problems with my laptop so I couldn't really get this chapter finished until recently o n o and according to hero i owe her $32429350825092383 = =