Chapter 3

I Don't Know You

Jisu POV

“I’ll see you later.” I waved Jongup off as soon as the school gates came into view.

“Yeah. Later.” He bobbed his head, his over grown brown hair falling onto his face. “Go straight to class!” He demanded before letting me go. How old does he think I am?

“Tch Whatever!” I snickered, blowing hair out of my face. Once I was at the gate I shuffled behind a wall and hoisted my blouse up to adjust my skirt. I rolled it up and patted it down. From the edge of the gates I could see Jongup had bumped into his club buddies—he was distracted. Good. The school boundary wall was about four meters high but when you’re right next to it and look up, trust me, it looks much bigger. I dug my fingers into the gaps between the bricks and took a deep breath in. Okay, on three. One, two, three! I heaved myself up and quickly got a foot hold, kicked up and was seated on top of the campus boundary wall. I exhaled and watched students from above. I let out a chuckled once I spotted Jongup scowling up at me. He can be the small one now. I waved to him and jumped down into the bush, on the other side of the wall.

 

Escaping in the morning before first lesson doesn’t mean you’re wagging since school hasn’t officially started yet. I pushed away some branches and soon enough found myself back at the main road, just around the corner from school. I smiled as the morning sunlight hit my face. I checked my wrist, eight o’clock, I still have half an hour. I stepped back onto the pavement, my shoes staining the dry ground.

“Jisu?”

Damn. I was caught. I flipped around to find none other but Kai. Out of every one why Kai? He’s such a pain.

“What?” I groaned. He still had bed hair, couldn’t even bother combing his hair for school. His uniform was a mess and he hadn’t even put on his tie yet, it just dangled around his neck like a frail snake with its head tucked in his owner’s shirt pocket.

“Where do you think you're going?” Kai chuckled as he bit into an apple. Was he in a rush to get to school? It doesn’t take half an hour to walk there if you live just around the corner, unless, of course, you’re this guy and you manage to find someone to pester. Which, in this case, is me.

“To see a guy.” I lied.

Kai narrowed his eyes. “You’re lying…”

“He’s better than you.” I smirked. “Then again anyone would be.”

“Pssh.” He blew a stray strand of hair from his face before it could stab his left eye. “Who would want to date you?”

I brushed my hair behind me. “What’s that supposed to mean?” I sneered.

“You. Are. Fat.” Kai said pausing between each word. "Not to mention ugly," he decided to add after a moment of consideration.

I let out a sarcastic laugh. “You’re just jealous!” I scoffed as I walked past him.

Kai spun round. “Hey wait Jisu!”

I flipped my head around, “WHAT??”

“Pull your skirt down, nobody wants to see your .” Kai pouted, “It’ll scar me.”

I scrunched up my face. “Shut up! Stupid Kai!!” I growled stomping off.

“I love you too!” Kai snickered as he continued strolling to school, his bag dangled on one shoulder.

 

I stretched my arms, the sun beaming against my face, blinding me. I pulled open an eye to check my watch against the sun’s glare. I still had fifteen minutes to go. I wasted so much time because of that jerk. Having to know him since childhood was a pain. He would always make me the odd one out, if I wasn’t already. Just because I didn’t wear frilly pink clothes with ribbons when I was young, didn’t make me a boy. I pulled uncomfortably on my sleeves. Stupid Kai made my childhood a nightmare.

Suddenly I could hear a familiar tune—my ringtone. I yanked my bag off of my back and tore open a pocket. I pulled out my phone and brought it to my ear.

“Yobosseyo?”

“Yah! Jisu?! Why aren’t you at school yet?!”

It was Jongup. I brought my phone in front of me and stared at the screen. His contact photo looks so weird. I just took it without him knowing, a candid shot. His eyes weren’t really open and weren’t really closed and his mouth was slightly open as if he was about to speak. I ended the call without any further thought. Before slipping my phone back into my bag I checked the time. Ten minutes to go. Argh, I really have to head back.

 

I finally made it and was about to just go straight through the gate until I noticed a teacher on patrol. Out of everyone it had to be Mr. Kim, he's always strict about punctuality. I quickly checked my wrist before hiding behind the brick walls-- 8:28. Ha! I still had two minutes to spare. I hopped back out of hiding and began approaching Mr. Kim. He crossed his arms.

"You're late Jisu!" He puffed. I lifted my sleeve and put my wrist to his face.

"I still have two minutes," I grinned slyly.

"And how do you know that's the right time?!" he protested. Argh, this might take a while.

"Oh please, we've already gone through this yesterday. I bet the bell hasn't rang yet! I made sure my watch was the exactly the same as the school's time just to avoid this!"

"WELL ACTUALLY IT HA--" The bell then cut Mr. Kim off. I shrugged and smirked up at him.

"Later teach' " I waved him goodbye as I sprinted to first class.

 

Third person POV

"Kim Jaekyung." The art teacher introduced herself with a curtsy. The teacher had amber brown hair in loose loops that tumbled below her collar bone. "Now," she said clasping her hands together, "I bet no one knows everybody's name yet!" She was obviously more excited than anyone else in the room. The room hung dead, everyone looked limp and tired for some reason.

Jisu had her cheek pressed against the table as she blew eraser shavings down the edge. Grumbling loudly as Kai blew into her ear.

"Jisu!" Miss Kim squawked. "Go sit next there! Next to Sohee!" Jisu shot a look at Kai who just slumped back more into his seat. Obediently Jisu walked across the room and sat next to Sohee who was busily drawing in a pad of paper despite not being told so.

"Okay!" Miss Kim beamed. "Let's all introduce ourselves!!" The teacher's voice was a tad bit too excited for everyone and they all groaned like dying birds. "Stop it! Do what you're told!! Kai you start!" she order, stitching her facial features together. "Say your name and one thing about yourself that starts with the first letter of your name."

"Uh okay? Hey I'm Kai and I like kake?" Kai said uncertainly. Miss Kim frowned.

"Kai, cake starts with a 'C' "

"Really?" he answered dumbly. The class erupted with laughter.

 

"Jisu, it's your turn," nudged the girl next to her, which Jisu had already forgotten the name of even though she just introduced herself.

"Um I'm Jisu and I like j..." Jisu paused. A million words starting with the letter 'J ' whizzed around her mind, none of which she liked. "I like jello?" Jisu said with a puzzled expression. Sohee looked shocked. Zelo lifted his head and leant over the desk, staring blankly at the girl he had mistaken to have had confessed to him.

"Me?" he uttered in disbelief. The class grew silent and stared wide-eyed at Jisu. Jisu shook her head, finally catching up to the situation.

"No! That's not what I meant!! I meant jello, J-E-L-L-O," she explained, spelling out the word. Sohee and Zelo let out a sigh of relief as the rest of the class let out a sigh of disappointment.

 

Lunch time...

Zelo and Sohee waited by the practice room door, unsure of what was going on.

Yongguk pulled the other four members into a huddle so tight that everyone had their shoulders pressed against each other’s.

“What’s up?” Himchan said lifting a brow to Yongguk as he squirmed away from Youngjae. Yongguk sighed and softly shook his head.

“This can’t keep going on.” He sighed.

“What going?” Daehyun cocked his head to the side, bumping heads with Youngjae who just scrunched up his face.

“I know what you mean,” Youngjae muttered, messaging his head. Yongguk pressed his lips together, urging the younger boy to explain. Youngjae let out a frustrated sigh. “Sohee has to go.”

Daehyun furrowed his brows. “We’re not keeping her?” he asked simple-mindedly.

“You make her sound like a pet. And no, we're not.” groaned Yongguk.

“Ah, you’re right. It’s uncomfortable practicing in front of her,” Himchan sighed. Jongup pursed his lips, looking innocently back and forth between his hyungs. “I mean when it gets hot it’s not like we can just take out shirts off if there’s nothing under there,” Himchan groaned, glaring at Yongguk and Jongup.

“And it’s difficult to keep this place smelling nice,” Youngjae added. Which lead to Daehyun taking a deep whiff in. He immediately bolted close his nostrils.

“It shtill doeshn’t shmell tooh goohd.” (it still doesn’t smell too good.)

Youngjae nodded, “well, it’s better than usual,” he shrugged.

“Sooo… who’s going to tell her?” Himchan said, smiling at the four other members. All eyes locked on Jongup. His eyes widened and his small black pupils frantically darted to every member.

“Why me?” he chuckled bitterly.

“You ARE the maknae,” Daehyun shrugged with a smug grin.

Jongup furrowed his eyebrows, “I don’t want to—”

“JUST GO!” they all grumbled, pushing the youngest back out into the wide world.

Jongup stumbled before he was able to walk back upright to approach Zelo and Sohee who were still patiently waiting by the door. Sohee lifted her eyes and smiled. Jongup made a this-is-going-to-be-a-lot-harder-than-I-thought face.

“Uh…err… Sohee…” He stuttered softy under his breath. Zelo looked between the two with a kind of panic in his eyes, he pursed his lips. A confession?

“Yes?” Sohee said widening her eyes, pressing him to continue.

“Uhm how can I say this?” Jongup stared at the ground with a worried look before lifting his head back up again. He looked at Sohee directly in the eyes.

“Can you not come here anymore?” he said bluntly, it came out a lot harsher than he attended which only made him feel guiltier. Jongup softened his voice and dropped his eyes, “sorry.” Sohee flashed him a shocked expression but it soon faded off.

“Sure.” She answered sadly. Jongup’s heart sunk.

“Sorry.” He echoed as Sohee stepped outside.

Zelo looked frantically between the two. That wasn’t the conversation he was expecting, but was it better or worse than the one he expected? “Hey—wait—S-Sohee?!”

 

Jisu POV

I let myself fall stomach down on the grass. I planted my chin between the long locks of lush green grass and began plucking them out one by one to see the white tips buried underground. Well, this is boring. I twirled a strand of grass between my fingers and twisted around until I was lying on my back. I stretched my arms out and let sunlight slip between my fingers. A shadow passed by. I pulled myself up and to my surprise I found what’s-her without what’s-his name. Umm… that smart braided hair girl without that skinny tall blonde boy. What’s their names again? Ah! Lee Sohee and Choi Junhong, which everyone seems to call Zelo for some reason. What’s she doing alone? I sat up and narrowed my eyes. Sohee sat on the edge of a bench in a shady corner, her legs stretched out in front of her and her head tilted toward the ground. She looked pretty upset. I got up on my feet and patted my skirt down. I took a breath in and skipped towards her.

“Hey are you okay?" I said taking a seat beside her. Sohee tilted her face up and stared at me.

"Jisu, right?" she said softly. I nodded. quite happy she had remembered my name, then again it would be hard to forget someone who had 'confessed' to your friend right in front of you.

"Are you okay?" I repeated after I had realized she hadn't actually answered me. She immediately shook her head and stared back at the ground. "Is it Zelo?" I assumed. Even without lifting her head I could tell I had hit a bull's eye. Her eyes widened and she began to quiver lightly.

"Yeah," she managed to croak.

"Ah, is that it?" I exhaled, "there are more guys out there." Sohee looked up at me, she was too easy to read, 'but he is all I have' was written all over her face. I sighed. “Why do you even stick around him? Is he really that great? Does he really deserve all your attention?”

Sohee began to consider this. "Yes?" she mumbled after a while. I sighed, this was going to be difficult.

"What happened between you two?" I inquired. "Was it what I said during class?" She might like him and got upset that I had 'confessed.'

Sohee shook her head. "Nope, not that. It's just... I feel like he's leaving me behind?" she looked at me, "do you know what I mean?"

I bit my lip and thought about it for a while. "Yeah, I guess." I shrugged. Sohee tipped her head to the side and tucked a stray strand of hair behind her ear.

"It's just that I feel like he's going to forget about me..." she murmured. I took her shoulders and shook her hard. "W-w-w-whaaaat???"

"Stop it!" I ordered, "you're depressing me! Okay?" I put my hands on the sides of her head and tipped it up and down, forcing her to nod.

"O-okay!" I let go. She looked perculiarly at me then smiled. "Thanks Jisu," Sohee said softly.

I knocked her on the shoulder. "No problem. I'll buy you some chocolate milk to cheer you up!"

Sohee didn't hesitate to accept my offer.

 

"So what's he to you?" I asked after I was sure she had fully healed. Sohee slurped on a carton of chocolate milk.

"Childhood friend," she said frankly, biting on the end of her straw.

"That's all?" Honestly, I was a bit disappointed.

"Yeah? Why? what did you think we were?" She widened her eyes, the straw slipping out of .

"I thought you two were dating...."

"Eeeh?!" She was definately drunk on chocolate milk. I nodded.

"Everyone thought you were..." Sohee gave me a disgusted face and continued slurping on her beverage.

"Me and Kai knew each other since we were little, but we're not close." 

Sohee looked at me as if I was crazy. "Why not?"

"He's a pain," I scoffed. "He's so immature."

Sohee tilted her head to the side, sunlight streaking her jet black hair. "Is that so..." Sohee took another sip from the carton. It sounded empty. She shook it hard and tried taking another sip. To no avail, she went and chucked it out.

It's difficult to believe that that girl was depressed about half an hour ago. Now she's laughing hysterically at everything and pigging out on chocolate milk. I let out a laugh.

"What are you laughing about?" Sohee said once she came back with another carton of chocolate milk.

"Nothing." I eyed the milk. "Isn't that you're third carton?!" I scoffed.

Sohee looked at the carton in her hands and shook her head. "No. It's my fourth." She punched the straw into the carton and began slurping away again.

"You really are something," I laughed. Sohee gave me a puzzled expression and shrugged.

 

Yo! It's SK. 

I finished a drawing of one of the characters.........DAEHYUN!!! <

and happy birthday to KIM.HIM.CHAN!!!!