Chapter 14

I Don't Know You

 

Sohee POV

I caught up with Jisu again when I went to get some my lunch out of my locker. “Where were you?” I asked her as she scavenged through her locker, the one beside mine. She pulled out a bright yellow slip to my face. ‘DETENTION’ was written in bold.

“I got caught,” Jisu said, pretending to rub tears from her eyes. We both laughed.

 

“So you spent some time alone with Jongup?” Jisu said smirking as she elbowed my side.

I rubbed my side. “No!” I denied, “Well… I mean ‘yes’ but it was only because you left…” Jisu looked puzzled. I didn’t even know what I was saying myself.

“Here it is,” Jisu pointed at a door. It read ‘DETENTION’ in bold black letters above it, much like it did on the slip. “Well see you tomorrow,” she said poking her tongue out.

I blinked, “don’t we have next class together?”

“It’s a half day, weren’t you listening in class?” Jisu laughed as she closed the door behind her.

 

I stretched my arms, sunlight slipping through my brown hair as strands of blonde. Usually I would have cut my hair before it reached this length but maybe changes are good. I hadn’t been putting it in two plaits recently either. Today I had left it out after showering in the morning and forgetting to tie it up.

I fiddled with the ends of my hair as I waited for time to pass. There wasn’t much to do since I was always with Jisu ever since some point that I couldn’t really pin point. I ended up sitting under the tree I had been sitting under with Jongup. Pulling out my lunch I stared into space, time barely moving.

Jongup appeared in the corner of my vision, a bun bought from the cafeteria in one hand. He smiled and came my way. I shielded my eyes from the sun.

“Where’s Jisu?” Jongup asked after swallowing a mouthful of bread.

“She has detention,” I said squinting. Jongup looked shocked so I thought it would be better to explain. “She was caught while she went to the bathroom.”

Jongup frowned, “What? I thought you guys were on free time.”

I shrugged, a cheeky smile glowing on my face. Jongup laughed, “I’ll have to talk to her about that later. Is it okay if I sit with you?”

I was slightly taken aback then nodded, “sure.”

Jongup nodded and sat beside me. “Which class were you skipping?” He began patting the grass beside him, inspecting where it was dry.

“P.E.”

Jongup cocked his to the side, “you don’t like sports?”

“I’ve never been any good at them,” I admitted. There was an awkward silence. We both didn’t know what to say.

“Umm—y-your hair looks nice today!” Jongup stuttered.

I laughed, bringing my hand to my head, “yeah I forgot to tie it u—”

Suddenly Jongup had leant towards me. He reached out and tangled his fingers through my hair. I brought my hand down. My face burned. He was so close!! I could feel his breath slightly tingle on my lips. His lashes were short but his eyes were full of charisma. I noticed there was a little dot on the bridge of his nose as my eyes slowly averted from his gaze, his lip slung slightly open and I could smell cologne on him. His eyes flickered to me with a childish smile on his face. “Lady Bug,” Jongup said as he leant back. There was a small metallic blue shelled ladybug crawling around his index finger. He blew on it and it flew off. “Must’ve been from the tree,” he explained as he pointed at the tree.

I felt my face heat up in embarrassment, “ah thank you!”

Fortunately Jongup must have not noticed as he stared at my empty hands, “have you eaten already?”

“Yes! I mean…” It took me awhile to notice I really hadn’t. “No, not yet.”

Jongup tore his remaining bread in half and held out the non-bitten half to me. I stared at it for a moment. “I’d offer to buy you one but I don’t have any more money,” he laughed, embarrassed.

I waved a hand, “no it’s okay I can buy—”

“Take it,” Jongup insisted, pushing the portion towards me, “I won’t be able to finish it all.”

I knew that was a lie. I had watched him easily gobble down a hamburger in seconds during the school festival; a five centimetre round bun would have been a mouthful away from finished for him. My fingers were flustered as I took hold of the bread. I nodded my head, “thank you.”

 

Meanwhile… Third person POV

Jisu gave Kai a surprised look as she entered the detention room. “What are you doing here??” Jisu stuttered a bit too loudly.

The teacher behind the desk had his feet up on the desk. He wore spotless white loafer shoes with toes that seemed to go on forever. Prickly leg hairs popped out of his calf muscle. G-Dragon put his magazine (I’ll leave it for you to imagine what kind of magazine) down on the desk. He darted through the room until he was in front of Jisu. He pushed his face in front of her with his finger on his lips.

“SHH!!!” He hushed her, the ‘hushing’ probably louder than the initial noise. Jisu blinked and hesitantly rubbed off the shower of spit on her face. The teacher was wearing a loose fitting pair of navy blue shorts and a yellow frangipani printed polo shirt underneath a cool blue suit top. “I won’t tolerate noise,” G-Dragon said as he slumped back into his seat and slicked back his already-too-slick hair.

Kai frowned and patted the desk next to him. Jisu sat down and swivelled her chair around to face her childhood friend, her chair barely grazing the wooden ground. G-Dragon slammed his hand on the desk. “I said I won’t tolerate noise!!” he yelled.

Jisu frowned, Kai shrugged. “It’s because he’s reading,” Kai whispered softly. A laugh escaped Jisu’s lips but she quickly stopped as the teacher began growling like a dog. Slowly a grin started to make its way up Kai’s face. Jisu tilted her head, ‘what?’

Kai bent over and picked his bag up from the floor, he took a pencil and a notebook. Jisu watched him curiously as he flipped over to the back of his book and scribbled something down.

‘Want to play a prank on the teacher?’

 

Jisu looked doubtful and shook her head. “Don’t be so childish,” she whispered back. Kai frowned and leant his chin in his palm. No point arguing with her.

The teacher then suddenly got up. “I’m going to the toilet.” G-dragon announced and walked out the door. A few footsteps later Kai shot up from his chair, smiling childishly as the prank played in his head.

“Get a bucket!” he beamed at Jisu who still hadn’t moved from her seat.

 

 Jisu gripped on the handle of the bucket with both hands, she had filled it just under the rim. “Weakling,” Kai teased as she struggled to the door. Jisu frowned and lifted the bucket above her head, trying to put it on top of the door. Even on her tip toes she couldn’t reach. “Useless,” Kai said as he crawled under her legs.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?? ert!!” Jisu squealed as Kai began lifting her on his shoulders.

“Shut up!!” Kai growled as Jisu began kicking her legs against his chest, “And hold still!”

Jisu brought the bucket back up over her head, “not too much,” Jisu told Kai.

“What?”

“You’re too tall!” Jisu complained as the ceiling came closer. Kai had his knees bent in a squatting position.

“Palli! palli!!” Kai whinged as his muscles began to hurt.

“Almost there!” Jisu said as she tried balancing the bucket on top of the door. “Ok—YAH!!” Jisu squealed as the space between the door and her decreased.

The bucket fell. G-dragon was soaked from his slick hair to his pointy shoes. He closed the door and examined the two suspects behind it. “Jisu… Kai…” he breathed heavily, “I want you both in the hallway right now!” the teacher barked. “I want you in squat position for 10 minutes!!”

 

Jisu and Kai stood outside the detention room, hands straight in front of them and in a squatting position. “How long has it been?” Kai complained as he leant the top of his head on the wall.

Jisu peeked at the watch on her wrist. “Three minutes to go,” she sighed. “Argh, my legs are killing me!” 

“You need to do more leg exercises anyway,” Kai smirked.

“What? You saying my legs are fat??” Jisu frowned and kicked a leg up but quickly brought it down. Kai was caught off guard and almost toppled over. He stared at Jisu’s legs. They were slimmer than he had remembered them to be.

Jisu caught him staring and gave him a look of disgust. “D-do your legs hurt??” Kai stuttered.

“Didn’t I just say that?” Jisu sighed. “Idiot.”

 

Three minutes later…

The two detentionees collapsed to the floor, their limbs sore and limp. Jisu wiggled backwards and propped her back against the wall. “I’m never going to try pull a prank with you again,” Jisu groaned.

Kai laughed wearily, “as if you could do better.”

The two struggled up and re-entered the detention room. G-dragon put down his magazine and glimpsed at his watch, “hmm good enough. Go sit down.” Without hesitation Kai and JIsu collapsed into their seats. The teacher then stood up and walked towards the door. “You can leave when the bell rings. Since it’s a half day—”

“Where are you going?” Kai interrupted, his cheek still planted on the cool surface of his desk.

“None of your business,” G-Dragon scowled as he closed the door behind him.

 Kai swivelled in his chair to face Jisu. She had her chin resting in her palm as she looked out the window dazed. “Bored?” Kai asked. Jisu turned her head and sighed, her eyes completely blank. The door creaked open and she came back to life.

“Daehyun?!” Jisu beamed. Kai turned around, there he was, Daehyun standing by the door. Kai looked disappointed as his sunbae nim took a seat next to Jisu.

“What are you two doing here?” he chuckled.

“I was caught and Kai picked a fight,” Jisu explained eagerly.

Daehyun’s eyes widened, “a fight? With who?”

Kai frowned, “nobody.” He looked away and muttered, “what’s Jisu see in you anyway?”

“Huh?” Daehyun smiled awkwardly and after a long pause turned his attention back to Jisu. “What’s up?”

“What about you?” Jisu questioned, “why do you have detention?”

“Eh… ah!” Daehyun gave a soft chuckle, “I ended up not finishing my art because I was with Eunmi.” The happiness in Jisu vanished at the sound of a certain name leave Daehyun’s lips.

“Why were you late?” Jisu decided to change the subject.

“I forgot to come,” Daehyun chuckled. “Did I miss out on anything? And where’s the teacher?”

“G-dragon left a few minutes ago, I don’t know why. No, you didn’t miss a thing!” Jisu beamed.

 

Jisu’s smile was stuck on her face like a sticker. She looked around the room nervously but felt at ease as Daehyun laughed and smiled so naturally. Soon enough the bell interrupted their conversation with its usual tune. Jisu smiled, hope filling her eyes. “Do yo—” she was then cut off by Daehyun getting up from his seat. Her eyes followed him unintentionally.

“I need to go find Eunmi,” he explained. “Sorry, see you two later.” Daehyun waved as he rushed out the door.

Jisu frowned, disappointed and embarrassed by the thought that possibly Daehyun may have wanted to walk home with her. Another chair screeched against the floor. Kai walked towards the door then turned back around. “Hurry up Jisu, I’m not going to wait all day.”

Jisu lifted a brow, “what?”

“Do you want to walk home together?” Kai mimicked. “You were going to ask that sunbae nim that, right? Hurry up let’s go.”

Jisu let out a hysterical laugh, “You idiot! And I don’t want to walk with you! I’m going to walk with Jongup.” She got up and walked out the door to wait for Jongup by the gates. Just before Jisu left she had spotted Daehyun and Eunmi already at the gates, ready to leave. He must’ve ran, Jisu assumed.

 

Sohee got up from the grass and patted her skirt down. She turned around and smiled at Jongup. “I’ll see you tomorrow?”

It sounded like a question rather than a goodbye. Jongup scrambled onto his feet, “I’ll walk you— home. I mean. If that’s okay?” he chuckled awkwardly as he scruffed grass out of his hair. He looked Sohee in the eyes, “Do you want to walk home together?” he asked directly, his innocence revealing.

Sohee’s flustered expression faded. She smiled and nodded, “Okay!”

 

Jisu waited by the gates, people passed by till the school was nearly empty. Jisu frowned, “Where is he?” she murmured. She decided to check her phone.

Sorry Jisu. Walk home without me –Jongup

Jisu sighed and heaved her bag back onto her back. Kai popped out from the corner, his bag slung across his chest. When he lifted his head he met eyes with Jisu. They stared awkwardly at each other.

Kai sighed and began walking towards the gates. He stopped just before passing Jisu, their shoulders aligned with one another. “Still don’t want to walk with me?” Kai asked bluntly.

There was a silence. He began walking. Only two steps ahead Jisu began to follow him. Her head turned away as soon as he stopped to face her. “Can you walk any slower?” Kai sneered softly as he walked ahead. Jisu picked up her pace until they were walking side by side.

Their footsteps scrunched the leaves and stones under their feet. A light breeze blew just above their heads. “Thanks…” Jisu said softly, not for Kai or anybody else to hear.

A faint flush of pink crossed Kai’s cheeks. He looked away, his arm covering his face. “Don’t mention it.”

 

“Are you cold?” Daehyun asked as a cool breeze spiked his body. Eunmi pulled on a smiled and continued walking. She walked a few steps ahead. Daehyun sighed, feeling faintly ignored and cold shouldered by the petite girl. He rolled his neck, taking a deep breath in as his lids glowed red against the sun.

“Yah!” A familiar voice yelled. Daehyun fluttered his eyes back open, squinting as the sun blinded him for a moment. Jisu tugged onto Kai’s arm, hitting him with her free hand across the street. “Bastard!” she yelped. They playfully exchanged insults. Kai laughed, lifting his arms in defence against the girl’s non-stop punching.

A smile grew on Daehyun’s face. He felt a kind of warmth in the scene he had just witnessed. A faint image of Jisu’s blushing face and Kai’s loop-sided grin passed his mind. “Good luck, Kai.” Daehyun whispered. Eunmi looked up at Daehyun with a puzzled expression. “Nothing,” he smiled sweetly.

 

“I wonder where Jongup must’ve gone.” Jisu said as Kai flung up his hands in surrender. Kai shrugged, bringing his hands to the top of his head. The light afternoon sun warmed the worn out uniform of the high school students.

“This feels nostalgic.” Kai closed his eyes and breathed in the crisp air. Splashes of sunlight dappled his face, outlining all the sharp angles and features. Jisu smiled and knocked Kai on the shoulder with her fist. Kai reopened his eyes, a cheeky grin on his face as he slung an arm around the girl’s shoulder. “Do that again, I dare you!” he teased as he rubbed his knuckles against her head. “Hey, isn’t that Sohee?” Kai pointed out as Jisu struggled free.

“Jongup that ,” Jisu snorted as they watched them turn the opposite corner.

 

Jongup pulled Sohee towards the sidewalk. “I’ll walk by the road,” he decided as they switched sides. Sohee smiled and lifted her head to face the sky. Untainted blue swept over them, blanketing them in its comfort. She brought a hand over her eyes, shielding away the sun that knocked on her fingertips. She smiled warmly as she turned to Jongup who had been watching her all that time. They immediately looked away, their childish smiles only growing brighter as the day grew dimmer. Looking like foolish lovers as they walked.

 

Zelo stuffed his hands in his pockets and slung his bag over his shoulder. His shoulders felt heavier as the bag weighed him down. His pale face grew dark as he shoved a hood over his head and began trekking home.

He slipped two ear pieces on and tapped onto the volume. The beat drilled heavily into his head as he kicked stones or anything in his way. He would occasionally bump into people’s shoulders where he would give them a hollow ‘sorry’ and keep moving. Zelo’s long strides were loose and dragged, forcing every step as he pulled himself away from everything he ever cared about. The ends of his shoes were blunt and worn out. His expression tipped over and plain.

 

It’s almost six o’clock and a lone boy still wanders the darkening streets, only faulty steet lamps to guide him on his way. Unintentionally he finds himself looking up at a familiar open window, a storey above himself. He watched a shadow of a girl behind fluttering tinted curtains, you can’t tell her expression but Zelo knew her smile all too well. “Stupid Lee Sohee.” He sneered as a light mist of rain sprayed his face. A cool wind blew and the curtains wisped up. Sohee had her back to the open window, lifting her arms and brushing her fingers up her hair. Her nape flawless, a feature Zelo had never noticed since she used to never have her back against him. Zelo took a step back, a puddle slipping around his heel. Rain dropped down on him. His blonde hair dripping drops down the bridge of his nose as he stared shallowly up at the window above him. The boy shook his head, tugging on his hood he escaped around the corner as the girl turned to close the window.

 

Double update !!Ch'yeah !! Wassup ? A new cover too o0o (by me ahaha) What do you guys think ?^^