Chapter 5

I Don't Know You

Third Person POV

Daehyun suddenly sat down, out of breath after an hour of solid dancing.

“You’re not tired already, are you?” panted Youngjae as he wiped the sweat off his forehead. Everyone looked drenched, patches of darker colour stained their shirts.

“Just a minute.” Daehyun breathed heavily, squeezing the side of his stomach with the palm of a hand.

“I told you, you shouldn’t have eaten that much right before practice,” Youngjae sighed. Himchan took a seat next to him before deciding to lie down and watch the old practice room lights flicker above him. Zelo wiped the sweat of his face. Combing his fingers through his fringe he exposed his forehead to the dry air. Yongguk stretched, his legs sore from the powerful and agile movements of the dance. Jongup kept practicing though. He didn’t mind the sweaty stench of the room or his forever soaking shirt. Actually he kind of liked it since it showed progression and hard work.

Within five minutes the only sounds in the room were Jongup’s footsteps and heavy breathing. Sweat dripped off of his chin and strands of hair clung to the side of his face. His arms were stained with sweat.

“Take a break,” sighed Yongguk. Jongup ignored his leaders suggestion and continued dancing, staring intensely at the mirror.

“Give it up, he’s too stubborn to listen, that’s one of the reasons he’s good at dancing,” laughed Himchan. Zelo looked up from the ground, his throat as dry as his drink bottle—if not, drier. Zelo pulled himself back up onto his feet and walked over to the mirrors.

“Don’t push yourself!” Himchan called, still lying lifelessly on the ground. Zelo stood there for a minute, staring between the lead dancer and the mirrors. Jongup glimpsed over at him but later ignored his entire existence as he focused on dancing. Zelo pursed his lips and forced his limbs to move.

“I think we shouldn’t have told them about the performance,” Himchan laughed in a dry voice.

“It would have ended up like this anyway.” Yongguk pulled himself back up to join the two younger boys.

“Whensit?” Daehyun asked Himchan, his words slurred from exhaustion. Gradually Daehyun had sunken onto the ground and only his head was up as it rested against the wall.

“Tomorrow,” Youngjae answered. “If we hadn’t told Jongup and Zelo we wouldn’t be doing this.”

“Kids.” Himchan chuckled with a weary smile before he too pulled himself up to join the practicing members. Youngjae followed, leaving Daehyun the first and last to rest.

“Seriously?” Daehyun groaned.

 

The next day…

The school was packed with people. The entrance had people streaming in. The tall white school buildings were decked with great long banners. Colourful balloons were attached to the outside of classroom windows and even from below you could see the swarm of people inside. There were thousands of different stalls speckling the ground; cotton candy, darts, shooting hoops, popcorn and more. On ground level people swished around you like millions of fish in a tiny pond, one moment you’ve got a friend next to you and the next, a stranger. The sickly sweet smell of caramel covered popcorn wafted through the air along with colourful shreds of paper and tinsel.

Sohee gripped onto Zelo’s sleeve. He was dressed in a blue baseball jacket and loose jeans, his hair its usual pure blonde. “Nervous?” Sohee asked, looking up at her tall friend. He nodded awkwardly before clutching onto the door handle of the practice room. He wriggled the knob and they were greeted by the room’s usual stench of sweaty high school boys.

“Zelo!” Youngjae beamed. All of the group were wearing a baseball jacket or something similar. Youngjae flapped his white sleeve in the air. “Sohee, hello!” Sohee smiled and bobbed her head down. “As formal as ever!” Youngjae grinned.

“Okay, I’ll see you later.” she waved to Zelo. He beamed back.

“Don’t forget to watch our performance!!”

“I won’t.”

“Promise?”

Sohee laughed, “Promise.”

 

Daehyun patted his stomach, it grumbled and echoed around the room. “Can’t I have a snack?” he whinged

Youngjae shook his head. “The performance is in half an hour.”

“If you had let me the first time I asked there would’ve been plenty of time,” Daehyun grunted childishly. The door creaked open and an eye peered through the crack.

“Yes?” Yongguk gestured the girl in. A small girl with short red hair came in. Jisu held out a box of food to Jongup.

“Lunch.” She said bluntly. Jongup smiled and accepted the lunch box. Daehyun stared at her like a puppy as the grumble of his stomach filled the room. “Pabo.” She grunted. Jisu then  magically pulled out another container from behind her and dumped it onto Daehyun’s lap. Without another word she slipped back outside to find Sohee. Daehyun grinned childishly at the food in his lap.

“No. Do. Not. Eat. It.”  Youngjae growled in a husky voice.

 

Zelo placed a foot on the step and listened to the bellowing of the announcer.

“And up next we have the school’s hip hop club…” bellowed the man on stage. The room had files and files of people.

“Hey what did we pick as our group name this year?” Himchan whispered.

“Please welcome…”

“B.A.P.” Yongguk answered.

 “What the f—?!” Himchan’s mouth gaped open as the announcer cut in.

“B.A.P!!!!!” the man bellowed, gesturing the six on stage.

“What? Why?!” Himchan whinged as the other boys rushed on stage.

 The crowd boomed loudly with cheers and applause. Zelo stared vaguely at them, their voices becoming softer in his ear. The lights blinded his eyes and there was a growing ringing in his ears. Everything began slowing down. He put a hand to his ear and the ringing became louder as the crowd’s cheers faded out. Yongguk’s face was suddenly in front of his, the leader’s mouth opened and closed but nothing came out. Zelo fluttered his eye lids and suddenly everything snapped back to reality.

“Are you ready?!” Yongguk yelled over the noisy crowd. Zelo nodded, shocked by the sudden blast of noise. “Okay!” Yongguk gave the DJ a thumbs up. Before getting into position Yongguk grasped onto Zelo’s shoulder and shook him firmly. “You can do this!”

Zelo held the microphone to his lips and waited for the music to engulf him in its energy. They did exactly as practiced, no mistakes. Throughout the whole performance Sohee stood in the front with Jisu, but not once did Zelo’s wandering eyes fall upon her.

 

After the performance swarms of girls flocked around each B.A.P member. Zelo stood more than a head taller that most of them so he wasn’t too difficult for Sohee to find but once she got closer it was harder to get to him than she thought.

Sohee gave up after being pushed back to the outside of the crowd several times. She scrunched up her face and turned to her friend. Jisu gave her a bitter smile, “Do you want to go check out the stalls?”

Zelo didn’t struggle but he was extremely uncomfortable. “S-Sohee?!” he called as he spotted the girl moving away from the crowd.

The man exchanged Jisu’s money with a basketball. “Okay ladies, you get seven balls, if you can get five in a row you can pick a prize!!” grinned the overly-enthusiastic stall person. Jisu stared up at the hoops. She threw the ball but it came in short. “Ooh! Try again!” said the man. She got the next one in, and the next and next and the one after that. “One more!!!!” squirmed the man.

“Shut up.” Jisu muttered coldly.

“Jisu!” Sohee pointed someone out but before Jisu could react someone had taken her ball. Kai towered above her with the ball spinning on top of his finger.

“Leave this to me!” he smirked confidently. Jisu scowled and jumped for the ball. Kai spun away. “Hajima! Let me try!” he squealed.

“No!” Jisu moaned. After a while Jisu gave in and let Kai have the shot. He planted both feet firmly on the ground and threw the ball. It whirled around the hoop several times and seemed to stand there before falling back down—outside the hoop. “Look what you’ve done!!” Jisu groaned as she hit the boy’s arms.

“S-s-sorry! It’s because you distracted me!!” Kai retorted.

“I did not!!!”

Sohee watched the two quarrel, giggling at their endless bickering.

 

Zelo wandered through the festival once he had finally gotten away from the pack of girls. He stuffed his hands in his pockets and browsed the variety of food and entertainment stalls. “Zelo-ya!” a feminine voice beckoned him. Zelo swished his head to the side. A noona in twelve inch heels stood a head below him.

“Y-yes??” Zelo stuttered.

The woman batted her lashes. “I want to get that bear!” she pointed at a fluffy pink bear that hung next to a tall post. The post had a bell attached to the top of it and measurements, such as ‘weakling,’ ‘muscle man’ and ‘superman!’ running up and down it.

“Good luck?” Zelo replied dumbly.

“I’m not strong enough though!” the noona whinged, “Zelo-ya help your noona!!”

“Uuh… okay.”

Zelo gripped onto the hammer with two hands. It was heavier than Zelo expected, he was scared that if he lifted it up too high it would just fall on his head. He tightened his grip and concentrated on whacking the board. “Fighting!” the noona cheered along with several girls that had flocked in from out of the blue. He let the hammer drop straight down onto the board. The arrow shot up. ‘Girl.’ The noona look disappointed.

“Oh well that’s okay!” she batted her eyelashes. “Let’s play another game!”

“No unnie, you’ve had you turn!” a younger girl complained.

“YEAH!!” the rest of the chorused.

 “Uh—no—I-I’m looking for someone!” Zelo tried to explain over the breakthrough of arguments.

 

 Once Kai was finally defeated, Sohee and Jisu browsed the festival for lunch. “What do you want to eat?” Jisu asked. Sohee looked around.

“I think I saw some stuff back there—” she pointed behind them.

“Ah, really? Okay, well I want to get some candy floss so we’ll meet back here,” Jisu grinned and skipped off.

 

Jisu POV

“Jisu!” a male voice called me. I scowled, expecting it to be Kai, I swirled around.

“WHAT DO YO—oh.” Oops. It wasn’t Kai. Daehyun stood in front of me, his eyes wide, he even looked a bit pale. I bit my lip. “Sorry…”

“No,” he smiled warmly, “it’s okay.” Like Jisu had done earlier, Daehyun magically pulled out the same container from behind him, only this time it was empty. “It was as delicious as always,” he beamed.

“Are you going to treat me then?” Jisu smirked. Daehyun stuffed a hand in his pocket and flipped open his wallet.

“Sure.”  

 

Meanwhile Sohee POV

I flicked my eyes around my surroundings. I hadn’t even walked for a minute and yet I was already lost. The school looked too different with all the stalls and people. People knocked my shoulders as I attempted to move pass them. I struggled to take each step. Suddenly someone had appeared in front of me as I tripped over another person’s leg.

“S-sorry!!” I stammered as I tried pulling myself away. The crowds were against me though.

“It’s okay.” The voice was familiar. I looked up, a boy’s fawn hair framed his face, his lips were pressed together and his charismatic eyes gazed down at me.

“J-Jongup!!” I gasped, pulling myself away. He suddenly wrapped an arm around my shoulder.

“Sohee, you’re going to hurt yourself!” I twisted my head, and he was right, right behind me a corner of a dart throwing stall had magically appeared. Safe place this is. Jongup grabbed my wrist. Keeping me close as he pushed through the crowds. His shoulders were broad and his grip was comforting. I peeked at his face-- he looked slightly worried, maybe stressed yet cool and calm as he steered us out of the crowds. Suddenly my own face was brushed with air. I looked behind us and it was as if the crowds had instantly dispersed.

“Uh thank you…” I said shyly, bowing down.

Jongup pressed his lips together, but they gradually curled up in a warm smile. “You don’t have to keep being so formal, Sohee,” he chuckled.

I was puzzled. I probably looked puzzled too. I didn’t know why—why exactly whenever this boy says my name I feel a flutter of warmth and excitement spark in my stomach.

“Sorry!” I stuttered, bowing back down again. Jongup let out another warm chuckle.

“Do you want a cheeseburger?”  

 

Yo it's SK!! ahahahaha I just came back from a sleepover = u = Hero had nothing to criticize in this chapter so I'm happy o u o means i did well, right? what do you think?? o 3 o