Chapter 20

I Don't Know You

 

*refer to chapter 9

**refer to chapter 11

 

The history teacher, Sunhwa Hwang, stood in front of the class room. There was a large white board with blue letters spelling out a due date—today. “It’s been 5 weeks and your *history projects are due at the end of this lesson… no more extensions!” she growled after being pushed multiple times to change the deadline every time it was due. The announcement was followed by a wave of groans and sighs.

 

The scraping of chairs screeched across the room as students shuffled into their groups.  Kai hobbled in his chair as Sohee and Jisu pulled up around his desk.

“Has everyone got their essays?” Sohee asked after the class had settled down enough for her to be heard without yelling.

Kai and Jisu nodded as they pulled out some papers and placed them on the desk. Each of them then pulled out a stack of photos, some cut out and others not. Jisu unrolled an A3 piece of blue paper and the group began arranging the photos onto the poster.

 

Sohee had her head pressed in front of the poster as she carefully wrote captions and explanations for each photo. Kai blankly watched her and Jisu began zoning out. Jisu had her cheek pressed into the palm of her hand as her eyes began wandering around the room. The class was filled with hushed murmurs and squeaking of pens. She faced the window with D.O and Zelo’s desk just under it. Jisu suddenly dropped out of her dream cloud after she had locked eyes with someone else—but was mistaken. Zelo was only looking at Sohee. Jisu glared at him. After a moment his eyes flickered her way and Zelo immediately dropped his gaze. He then hastily picked up a stack of photos and pretended to look through them.

“That’s the third time today,” Jisu muttered as she pressed down the corner of a photo that began lifting off their poster.

Kai smirked. “You should stop staring at guys that are out of your league,” he teased. Sohee continued writing silently—she had learnt to block out the two’s non-stop bickering some time ago.

Jisu frowned disapprovingly and punched Kai’s arm. He whimpered back and grabbed a permanent marker from his desk. He pulled off the cap and held it in front of Jisu, threatening to doodle all over her face. Jisu grimaced and grasped Kai’s wrists as she struggled away.

“Enough!” she blurted as she stood up from her chair. She lifted her head and immediately caught Zelo staring at Sohee again. Zelo hastily looked away. Jisu groaned and began marching towards him.

“Huh? Where are you going?” Kai asked, spinning around in his chair.

Jisu turned back around. “I’m going to sit with Zelo!” she announced and poked her tongue out at Kai.

Kai frowned and spun back around. He started muttering as he re-lidding markers. Sohee finally lifted her head. “Where’d Jisu go?”

 

Jisu stood firmly in front of D.O and Zelo. Neither of the boys’ looked up, not that either of them was working hard enough to not notice her. Jisu turned to D.O. “Go away,” she said coldly to the top of his head. D.O looked up, his eyes widening with hurt. It looked as if he was about to mutter a comeback when Jisu repeated. “Hurry up.”

D.O furrowed his brows and while stuffing his hands in his pocket he made a surprised face. He pulled out a scrunched up piece of paper from his pocket. Carefully un-crumpling it he snorted and handed it to Zelo.

“Here. Have it. It’s ‘**something that means something to you.’ ” D.O explained smugly before walking over to sit at a vacant desk nearby.

Jisu dumped herself down on to his empty seat, giving Zelo no time to look at what his partner had handed to him. Leaning forward against the desk Jisu forced Zelo to lift his eyes. “Stop it,” Jisu hissed as soon as his eyes were on hers.

Zelo cocked his head to the side. “Stop what?” he replied dumbly.

“Don’t be stupid! Stop staring at Sohee!” Jisu grumbled. “It’s pissing me off.”

Zelo frowned. “I-I wasn’t looking at her!” he clumsily denied, “I just spaced out for a bit.”

“Tch!” Jisu spat. “Whatever. You look at her, she looks at you—”

“She looks at me?” Zelo interrupted, hope in his voice.

Jisu pulled a disgusted look and kicked Zelo’s shin from under the desk. “You’re pathetic! Just go talk to her already—you guys obviously don’t hate each other,” she scowled. “What happened between you two?”

Zelo sighed and looked uneasily at Jisu. He then looked down at his hands that were placed on his lap. He began fidgeting with the crumpled piece of paper; his eyes widened as he unfolded it. ‘Something that means something to you’?

 

Flashback Zelo POV…

D.O scrambled around as he tried shuffling his seat next to mine. “Uhh…” he murmured as he finally sat down. “Where should we start?”

I pulled out some photos that were wedged between the pages of my notebook. “I took all of these the other day,”

“There’s a lot!” D.O exclaimed in astonishment as I spread them across my desk. He picked up one photo and then picked up another, a quizzed look on his face as he examined each photo.

“I haven’t sorted any of it out so there’s a lot of random ones,” I explained to him as he picked up a photo of my feet with donut socks on.

D.O chuckled, “No, they’re good!”

I began to drift off as he continued to look through the photos.

“These are all of things you like or mean something to you, right?” D.O questioned. I nodded with my chin in my palm and gave a muffled ‘yes.’

 

“Yes,” Zelo repeated after recalling the past events. Jisu tipped her head to the side, confused since the question she had asked couldn’t be answered with a simple yes or no. The crumpled paper was a photo of Sohee Zelo had taken while they were still grouped up for the assignment. Honestly, he had many more photos of her but after the incident he had thrown them away. I must have missed this one out. Zelo said to himself as he looked down at the photo.

Jisu sighed and leaned against her chair. “Okay. I don’t know what happened between you two and neither of you will tell me… but just go apologise to her already.” Jisu stood up and placed a hand on the desk. “Okay?” She pressed.

Zelo looked up. He pressed his lips together and tucked away his pride. “Yeah,” he conceded as he slipped the photo into his pocket.

 

The bell rang and Zelo immediately got up from his seat. He looked nervously towards Sohee’s table. Everyone had just passed up their assignments and began wandering back to their seats to pack up.  Just do it… Apologize to her. Zelo thought and took a deep breath in, exhaled and walked directly to Sohee, clumsily knocking shoulders with anyone in his way.

Kai had left earlier for the bathroom, unintentionally leaving the two girls to pack up. Jisu leaned back on her chair, expectation written within her smug grin as Zelo approached them. Sohee looked uneasily around and behind her as the boy searched for her attention. When accidentally making eye contact with Zelo, Sohee immediately dropped her head and began to swiftly pack her things.

Zelo jolted back slightly, his nerves began to shutter like an aftershock after making eye contacting with a girl he hadn’t talked to for so long. He straightened his lips for a moment to prevent them from quivering. “S-sohee…?” He said too quietly to overcome the cluttering of other students packing up.

Jisu gave him an unsatisfied look and cupped a hand around one ear.

Zelo nodded and exhaled. “Are you mad at me?!” he blurted. It came out louder and harsher than intended. Even with her head down and her hair falling over her face, Zelo could notice the mild shock in Sohee’s nervous expression. Zelo felt his chest hit its brakes, slamming his hands onto her desk to steady himself.  

Sohee’s shoulders twitched, her eyes flickering down at the desk, uncertain of whether to respond or not.  

“Sohee…I—”

“Calm down!” Jisu yelled, scrunching her face. Zelo’s previous words seemed to go by unheard.

“Sohee I’m Sorry…” Zelo’s heartbeat raced as he waited for a response. All his words came out too harsh but whenever it was right no one could hear. He feared his voice would break from nerves and he would make a fool out of himself so it would come out as a squeak. Zelo looked desperately at Sohee. He closed his fists to stop them from trembling and lowered his voice in hope to make his nerves less obvious.

“What did I do?” Zelo unitentionally hissed. He quickly shut back up again and began waddling on his toes and heels, feeling awkward and useless as the wrong words and tones flew out of his mouth. What am I doing?

Jisu’s face was in shock and looked from Zelo to Sohee and back again. Zelo pressed his lips together and shook his head briskly with his eyes squeezed shut. “H-hey Sohee?” Jisu interrupted, hoping to ease her.

Sohee still hadn’t look up. She continued slipping books into her bag without saying a word.  Zelo opened his mouth to speak as he noticed the slight tremble in the girl’s hands but Sohee suddenly shoved the rest of her stuff in her bag then stood up. “Excuse me,” she said indifferently as the boy inched closer to her.

Zelo took a step back, unintentionally towering above her rather than getting out of her way. Sohee sighed and looked up at him as he apparently failed to move. “You’re in my way,” she said softly, almost as shyly as she would to a stranger. Suddenly the cold warmth in her voice hit Zelo.  

“Are you going to pretend not to know me?” He replied rashly. Zelo folded his arms to prevent them from trembling.

Sohee paused. Her eyes scanned the floor as a bitter smile began to crawl onto her face. “What’s up with you?” she croaked “I was the one being ignored…” Sohee sharply lifted her head and stared Zelo in the eyes, clawing for the truth. The unease and nervousness in her expression had vanished, only to leave sharp pins of ice echoing in her voice. “Who’s pretending not to know who?” Sohee laughed bitterly. “You started it,” she added then impatiently pushed the boy out of her way and made her way to the exit.

Zelo’s eyes widened in panic as Sohee began to slip away from him again. “How did you—?? I didn’t mean it—I wasn’t really!!...SOHEE!!!!” Zelo’s face turned twisted into a sickly pale expression as he struggled for words. ‘It’s too late,’ he thought as she closed the door.

 

Zelo stood motionlessly staring at the door. He turned around, his eyes pleading guilty before he dropped his head. Jisu’s mouth hung open, taken aback by the sudden turn of events. “WHAT WAS THAT?!” she yelled, just managing to let out a sarcastic laugh. “Didn’t I say apologize to her—not make it worse!” she said as she threw her arms up in the air.

Zelo bit his lip and hesitantly lifted his head. “Do you think she hates me now?”

Jisu gawked at the boy who continued to pathetically come to her for advice. She let out another ironic laugh. “Yes! Definitely!”

Zelo hid his face in his palms, his teeth gritted together as he harshly clawed through his hair. “I...” his voice was shaky, he paused and pursed his lips. “I knew what I wanted to say but…I just—” Zelo sighed and shook his head, sick of his own unending flow of excuses. “It’s my fault. I just… I just want her back.” He finally admitted. “…help me?”

Jisu lifted an eyebrow and crossed her arms. “Tch. I knew it. You’re pathetic.” she said almost triumphantly like she had won a bet. “But no. Not yet. It’s my turn now.”

“You’re turn?”

“Our deal, remember? I won’t tell Sohee about you stalking her and you will help me with…” Jisu’s voice cut off before she finished restating the deal’s terms and conditions. She looked around uneasily, recalling they were still in a class with some nosy students who had stayed behind for the drama. They eyed Zelo and Jisu, waiting to know what came next. Jisu cupped her hands by each side of and leaned towards Zelo, “…and you help me with Daehyun,” she whispered, greedily keeping the audience’s suspense. Jisu then swiftly picked up her bag from under the desk and swung it over one shoulder. “Of course we can change it to ‘I’ll help you with Sohee’ but you’ll owe me,” she grinned cheesily and began heading towards the door. She stopped as soon as she was in front of it. “Well hurry up. Open the door for me.”

Zelo perked up and pressed his lips into a flat line in order to hold back his urge to talk back. “Y-yeah,” he conceded as he hastily found his bag and headed for the door.

 

Meanwhile…

Sohee stomped out of class, her brows furrowed and her lips pursed into a frown. Despite the forecast predicting a storm the weather was fine. She eyed the floor, her hair leaping off and on her shoulders with every step she took.

“What was that?” she grumbled quietly to herself. “Why would h—”

Suddenly the top of Sohee’s tipped head hit something. She took a step back and clutched onto her bag straps uneasily. “Sorr—” She flipped her head up, taken aback as two familiar eyes popped up in front of her.

“Sohee?” Kai chirped, “Are you okay?”

Sohee blinked, flustered and somewhat confused. “Y-Yeah. I was just thinking about something…” she replied.

Kai looked around restlessly. He peeped behind her; the corridor was empty, only long rectangles of yellow sunlight lined the hallway. “If you’re not busy could you help me with something?” Kai asked cautiously.

Sohee cocked her head to the side. “What is it?”

Kai’s face brightened. “Just wait—uh… meet me in the cafeteria! I just need to get my stuff from the classroom.” He grinned and immediately rushed back to class.

Sohee watched him blankly before she decided to head towards the cafeteria.

 

“I like Jisu.” Kai admitted immediately as they sat down.

“I knew it.” Sohee smirked.

Kai looked taken startled. “Does Jisu know?” he asked hesitantly, unsure whether he really wanted to know.

Sohee shook her head then gave a faint smile. “You two would make a cute couple.”

Kai laughed and rubbed the back of his neck. He looked troubled. “She likes that sunbae,” he said knowingly, obviously referring to Daehyun. Kai breathed a laugh, “what am I supposed to do?”  

Sohee pursued her lips, no one could deny. The cafeteria was in its usual noisy state so acting secretive hardly mattered—it was almost impossible to hear yourself think let alone hear a person from another table talk. “I really don’t know,” she shrugged.

“I bet she’s forgotten.” Kai said bitterly

“Huh?”

“My birthday’s tomorrow.” He replied. After some hesitation he asked, “Jisu hasn’t gotten me a present has she?”

Sohee guiltily shook her head. “We did go shopping together but…” she smiled awkwardly. “I guess she couldn’t find anything?”

“Help me ask her on a date.” Kai proposed directly. Sohee looked taken aback but he continued without hesitation. “That could be her present to me… she’ll have to say ‘yes’ but if she rejects me help me persuade her to say yes.”

There was a pause in the conversation as Sohee began to consider the favour. “What’s in it for me?”

“I’ll get you a date with Jongup hyung,” Kai offered with a smirk.

“What about me?”

Sohee’s expression froze as she robotically lifted her head in response to the voice. Jongup stood between them, a causal jumper on top of his neatly pressed school uniform.

“Nothing!” Sohee insisted after a moment.

“Hey do you know where Jisu is?” Kai interrupted.

Jongup moved his attention to the boy and looked at him blankly before replying “I don’t know… I was looking for her to give her lunch money when I bumped into Zelo, he said he saw her here so I came here…” He explained, looking slightly betrayed.

Sohee cringed at the sound of a certain name.

“Let’s go look for her then…” Kai suggested.

 

Meanwhile…

“Is this so important we have to hide?” Daehyun chuckled as he followed Jisu to ‘somewhere more private,’ which was apparently behind a building in front of the empty practice room.

Jisu stopped walking. She took a deep breath in and let the silence sink in.

“Jisu?” Daehyun called uncertainly, “what is it you want to talk about?”

Jisu tightened her fists then nervously waddled around to face the boy. She gradually lifted her head; Daehyun’s brows were furrowed in confusion as Jisu slowly prepared herself.

 

Sohee looked uncertain. “Why would Jisu be in the practice room?”

Kai shrugged, unable to admit that she might have been hanging out with Daehyun.

“Jisu?” a familiar voice chirped.

Jongup stopped. “Did you hear th—?!”

“What is it you want to talk about?” the voice continued.

Sohee, Kai and Jongup urged forward the moment they recognized the voice to be Daehyun’s. The three pressed themselves onto the building and cautiously inched towards the corner to take a peak. Daehyun stood with his back against them and Jisu standing a good two meters opposite him. The three spies hastily rushed back behind the wall after confirmation. The sun had begun to dim down and casted a dark shadow under Kai’s eyes.

 

“I like you.” Jisu finally confessed after a long silence.

 

Kai pressed his lips together and sunk down to the ground with his back still pressed against the cold wall. He looked pitiful but was unable to walk away let alone interrupt the confession.

 

Daehyun’s eyes widened, he looked into Jisu’s eyes for confirmation, she stared seriously back at him. Daehyun looked tensed for a moment then his face softened as he pressed his lips into a sympathetic smile. He breathed out gently and opened his mouth to speak.

“I’ve liked you for a long time! “ Jisu interrupted desperately. “I can’t stand it anymore!”

“Mianhe…” Daehyun replied in a low tender voice.

Jisu froze as she braced herself for the following words.

Daehyun shook his head gently and took a step towards her, she also shuffled back. Daehyun pressed his lips into a flat line and sighed. “Jisu, I’m sorry. I like you too, but not in that way. You’re my little sister. I didn’t mean to give you false signals—”

Jisu bit back her tears. Her body felt weak. It felt as if any moment her knees would give in to the tenderness of his harsh words.

Daehyun rubbed the back of his neck uneasily as he watched the girl slowly shrink. “You’ll find someone better than me—”

“No!” Jisu refused, tightening her fists as she desperately held onto nothing. “I only like Daehyun oppa!” she paused and in a choked whisper added, “Only you…”

“Jisu.” Daehyun said firmly. “I like Eunmi… I’m sorry.”

 

Kai looked taken aback as he listened. He slowly got up, assuming Jisu would react the way she usually would he readied himself.

 

Jisu’s eyes widened as she felt her heart sink into her stomach. Her body felt heavy and her head throbbed. The tension in her body left for a moment as silence ran through her head in agonizing pulses. When feeling eased back physically Jisu lifted her numbing head. Daehyun had an empathetic expression on as he looked down at her. Jisu felt her body pull back and a sudden urge to cry overwhelmed her. Out of instinct she ran. Daehyun looked as if he was about to run after her but stopped himself, knowing it was best for him to let her be.

Jisu ran around the corner, past Sohee, Jongup and Kai, all three of them going by unnoticed as she bit away tears. Kai immediately ran after her. And the rain followed soon after.

 

Kai was breathing heavily once he finally caught up with Jisu. He had followed her to the back of the school, the place she used to go whenever she had something to cry about. Kai looked around, spotting her hunched figure near the top of a dingy old stair case. He walked towards her carefully. Rain continued to pour down heavily, his uniform hugged his skin and his hair clung onto his face. Kai combed his fingers through his hair as he trudged up the steps. He pulled off his jacket and put it on top of the girl’s head before taking a seat a few steps in front of her. They didn’t speak a word but his presence seemed to comfort her. The rain gradually began to hush down and the Jisu’s outburst of cries gradually became short cut-off sniffles and the occasional hiccup.

“Jong in,” Jisu murmured once the rain had become a mere sprinkle.

Kai lifted his head to the sound of his real name, the name Jisu hardly ever called him. “Yes?” he replied gently and shuffled a step closer to her.

“You heard everything didn’t you?” she sniffed lightly, her head was craned down and her hands were continuously rubbing her eyes.

“Yeah,” Kai said softly. He gently caressed her hair and tipped her chin up to wipe away a tear that had tumbled pass her cheek.

“I learnt the piano for him,” Jisu croaked. She pressed her lips into a frown and suddenly broke off into another fit of tears. She suddenly pulled off the jacket from her head and tripped into the boy’s arms. She tucked her face into Kai’s chest, her hands gripping at the back of his shirt. The boy chuckled softly and wrapped his arms comfortingly around her, both of them soaking wet. After a moment Jisu pulled herself away and rubbed her eyes. Kai looked pitifully at her, though he felt pitiful himself, and tucked a strand of damp hair behind her ear.

Kai stood up. “Let’s go inside, you’ll get a cold,” he said softly with a hand stretched in front of him. Jisu pursed her lips, took his hand and got back up. Though Kai assumed she would let go of him as soon as she was up, she clung onto him until they were inside.   

 

“Hey,” Kai said lightly as they watched raindrops slide down the window. The two didn’t return to class and instead waited to go home. The rain provided a delicate rhythm as they chattered gently.

“Hm?” Jisu hummed. Her eyes were numb from tears but she was no longer crying.

Kai smiled humbly. “Go out with me.”

 

"It's about time !" that's what you were thinking right ? ;;; It's like I'm on hiatus between every chapter but good news! After this week (exam week) it's the holidays ! Yay ! so hopefully updates will come much much faster !!

Anyway.. Are you disappointed at all? With Daehyun x Jisu? Or do you want it to be Kai x Jisu? And Zelo... hmm.

If you didn't notice, the bold was the description/forward

-SK (good luck to anyone else with exams !!)