Chapter 24

I Don't Know You

 

Third Person POV…

Zelo held the key up to his face, examining its newness compared to the lock before him. The sun suddenly beamed down on him, causing him to squint and bring his face back to the ground. He leaned towards the practice room door, slightly bending over so that he could slip the key into the lock. He twisted the knob and attempted to push the door open. It hunched an inch and jammed, dust batting out of its cranky frame. Zelo frowned and shuffled back before slamming into the door with his shoulder. The door crashed open and he stumbled inside.

It was dark excluding the long column of light from the door and the small slits of yellow from the one window. Zelo looked around uneasily, as if expecting something to creep out of the darkness. He took the key out from the lock and while placing it into his pocket with one hand, began feeling the walls for the light switch. Click. The bulb spluttered and flickered before gradually dimming into its usual yellowy glow.

Zelo sighed and closed the door behind him, he hadn’t ever practiced in the room alone and something about the place was off-putting. He looked around once again before placing his bag against a wall and walking over to the stereo in the corner. He squatted beside it and undusted the top. He peered at his dusty reflection before connecting his iPod and flickering to the song they were currently practicing. He jumped back up and found his way to the centre of the room and began shaking his limbs. He paused and stood still, staring hard at his reflection he said, “You have to win,” before snapping into character.

 

Jisu looked around restlessly. “Where are we going?” she asked, looking around them. The longer they walked the less people there were and it wasn’t helping her nerves.

Kai peeked down at her. “You’ll see,” he replied and tugged the two separate bag straps tighter over his shoulder.

Jisu skipped closer to him and pulled on her bag. Kai flinched and pulled it back on his shoulder, squirming away from Jisu’s stubborn grasp.

“I’ve got it, I’ve got it!” Kai insisted as he pulled the strap back over his shoulder.

Jisu pouted, “I’m not that weak that I can’t carry my own bag!”

The corners of Kai’s lips tightened. “You’re still a girl,” he muttered.

Jisu looked taken aback, missing a step or two as the comment was said. Kai peeked down at her. Eye contact. Jisu immediately shrunk back, her face flourishing with colour. “Hmph. As if you’ve ever seen me as a girl before,” she retorted.

Kai glimpsed back down at her. “I’ve always seen you as a girl. You’re the one who doesn’t see me as a guy.” He laughed, tasting self-pity in his words.

They suddenly turned a corner into a narrow alley way. The path was lined with two tall buildings decked with shut doors and shady windows, none of which had a light behind it.

Jisu stopped and stared down the narrow alley then the damp bricked walls, decorated with distasteful graffiti and peeling posters dipped in old glue that smelt of wet socks.

Kai stopped and looked over his shoulder. “What?”

His voice echoed slightly, rebounding between the towering walls. Kai turned around and walked back to where Jisu was. He glimpsed back at the alley then at her. She looked tense and unwilling to go any further, even more unwilling than she was when he first asked her out.

Kai sighed. “I’m not going to do anything to you, okay? Where we’re going is just straight through here.” He held his hand out in front of her, “I promise.”

Jisu rolled her eyes and pulled Kai back around to face the other end of the alley. “Hurry up and lead the way!” she grumbled.

Kai frowned, disappointed that the little ounce of hope in holding her hand was immediately turned down. He sighed and walked onwards. He didn’t notice until they were almost at the opening that Jisu had been grasping onto part of his bag. He glimpsed at her and walked out of the alley pretending not to have noticed while smiling to himself.
 

They were suddenly embraced by a gush of wind, sweeping with it a harsh cloud of dust. Salty dust. Jisu hung back, an arm covering her eyes as she spat out the salt that had flung into . She then clung to her hair, hastily brushing it down as her bangs were swept off her face. She blinked and her vision began to clear.

Sand. Sand stretched across her vision, white and soft, gently rolling in the wind. Wide blue waters embraced the land. Waves like children giggled and rocked on their backs as they hit the sand, rolling several times before returning home. It was a beach.

Jisu took a deep breath in –a salted breeze, refreshing and cool. The edges of her lips began to curl up.

Kai smiled. “You wanted to go to the beach, right?” he said coolly.

 Jisu nodded then paused, facing him to ask how he knew without her telling him.

Kai’s eyes grew noticing he had slipped. “Lucky guess?” he chuckled awkwardly.

Jisu’s eyes rested on his face for a minute. Kai struggled to keep a straight face as his cheeks began to creep with colour. Jisu’s shoulders loosened and she let out a relieved laugh. She smiled out to the sea, then to the boy. Jisu grinned—

“I’ll race you!”

In an instant she had pulled off her shoes and socks and was running towards the water. Kai was caught dumbfounded before he was able to catch up. He pulled off his jumper and dropped the bags by their shoes before he came running after her, dodging the rocks that seemed to pop out of nowhere.

The two students ran to the water like they were children again. Kicking sand up with their feet with the water they thrashed up at each other, laughing and hiding behind their hands as salt stung their faces.  Kai reached out for Jisu’s arm as she bent over to splash more water at him. They stopped for a moment, holding each other’s gazes. Then Jisu grinned and swooped her free hand through the water, hitting Kai’s eyes with salt.

“S-s-sorry! Sorry!” She went on apologizing quickly. “Are you o— Yah!!”

Kai rubbed his eyes, whinging and snickering ‘revenge’ as he pulled the girl into the water.

“Pabo!” Jisu sneered, still smiling as she playfully hit Kai’s chest. She hadn’t noticed she was on his lap. The water loomed over his waist as she sat almost on his stomach. Jisu pouted, hitting him a couple more times.

“What?” Kai snickered, defending himself one-handedly. Gradually the punches stopped. Kai lifted his eyes from the closed fist, up the girl’s arm to her eyes then back down to her lips. Jisu didn’t move, just silenced and stared softly back at him. Kai slowly brought a hand up and slid a damp strand of her hair across her face, by her ear to her jaw. His fingertips were cold from the sea water and slightly wrinkled by the salt. They glided along her jawline to her chin where he tilted it up.

Kai’s eyes flickered back to the girl’s face. Cool and calm, somewhat intimidating by the stillness of them. Jisu hadn’t said a word, hadn’t moved against him. She was gazing back at him, caught in his spell.

Kai rested his eyes for a moment before his lips twitched and cracked into a cheeky smile. He chuckled then suddenly got up, slipping away from under the girl. He began to walk back to the sand, leaving Jisu still wadding in the water.

Jisu furrowed her brows. “What—”

Kai turned around with the sound of the girl’s voice. He paused like it was for impact, to keep her waiting before he grinned again. “Hurry up, you’ll catch a cold!”

Jisu’s frowned as wave hit her from behind, she lurched back up with it then came running behind Kai. She knocked shoulders with him as she ran past, pouting and whinging.

Kai hung back. He watched her run towards the bags. He shook his head, hair clinging to his face. Kai pulled out a hand in front of him, gazing at it as the moment only moments ago replayed. He covered his face while from his cheeks to ears became red. “You’re too greedy, idiot,” he muttered to himself.

 

Jisu hunched over her bag. “What was that?!” she squeaked between gritted teeth. She tightened her fists, her nails biting at her palms. “Gah!” she exclaimed as the image flashed in her head. She sat there clawing her arms until all the embarrassment had left her body.

 

Zelo stared down at the ground, the bead of sweat sliding down the bridge of his nose had left a tail of itself as a thin line, lining half his face. Every harsh, coarse, dry breath that he breathed in clawed angrily at the back of his throat. And every long breath he drew out dragged along with it an irritating itching sensation that scratched across the top of his mouth. His water bottle was long dry and had become the perspiration that filled the room as humidity.

Zelo pulled his head back, eyes half closed and gazing hazily at the scrawny boy in the mirror. The boy’s body hung over the ground like a withering stalk and his hands were latched to his knees to prevent himself from completely collapsing. Zelo tipped his head onto his shoulder and stared at the clock with one half-shut eye. He stared at it for some time, waiting, as if it would read the time on its stomach by itself. 5 o’clock.

“Sohee,” he gasped with a long grieving breath as if it could be his last words. “Just wait,” Zelo said shakily, forcing out each word within a breath. “Don’t leave…” He squeaked through brittle gritted teeth. Then he squeezed his eyes shut, they stung from dryness behind his lids. He tipped his head, shaking it lightly, feeling as if shaking any harder would cause it to drop off. Sweat flew out of his hair like rain drops from a frustrated cloud. He raked his weak fingers through his greasy hair and rubbed his temples. After mentally and physically preparing himself, the music was back on.

 

Kai and Jisu began to walk home after Jongup hadn’t picked up and Kai insisted on walking Jisu home— ‘because it’s getting dark,’ he had said. There wasn’t much conversation, not that there was much conversation on the way there either. Only difference now was that they were drenched and cold, and also Jisu was carrying her own bag.

They stared out at the dimming streets. By now their hair had dried but their clothes were still clinging coolly to their skin. The sun had begun to sink away into the horizon, pulling the moon out behind it. It was as if someone had a switch to make the day into night.

“Hey,” Jisu cooed turning to the boy.

Kai lifted a brow. He didn’t turn his head but his eyes looked down at her. “What?”

“Jacket.”

“What?”

“Give me your jacket,” Jisu muttered. “I’m cold,” she added.

Kai groaned and reluctantly pulled off his jumper, handing his bag to Jisu as he slipped it off. Honestly it was the first thing that came to mind when they returned to land—the boy insisting the girl use his jacket like in the movies but he decided it was too embarrassing, corny and clichéd. He also persuaded himself to play push and pull or ‘hard to get’ so that he wouldn’t appear to come out too straight-forwardly.

Kai handed the jacket to Jisu, his lips pressed together to keep himself from breaking down in embarrassment.

Jisu pouted and took it without hesitation.

Kai pulled on his bag again as Jisu slipped into his jumper. Since he was much taller than the girl, the sleeves were a hand and a half longer and the hem came to her thighs. Jisu began to roll the sleeves as they continued walking.

The trip was silent as they listened to each other’s footsteps and watched their clothes unlatch from their skin. About half an hour later they were in front of Jisu’s house.

They stood under the intimidating doorway for a bit, awkwardly wondering how to separate ways.

“Today was fun…” Jisu stuttered awkwardly. “I guess,” she added after some hesitation. She was looking at her feet and the flawless white tiles underneath them. There was a silence. She lifted her head. “Hey, say something,” she scowled.

Kai nodded. “Yeah,” he looked around a bit then hunched over. He pressed his lips against the corner of Jisu’s forehead. Jisu had no time to react as Kai quickly pulled away and turned around.

Jisu stood frozen by the door, her eye’s wide in confusion.

Kai was by the gate now but hesitantly twisted his head to call ‘next week on Saturday. I’ll txt you the details’ over his shoulder before jogging around a corner.

Jisu’s mind was in knots. “W-what was that?!” she mumbled, her finger’s playing with the hair on her forehead.

Suddenly the door opened  from behind her. Jongup stood by the doorway, staring at his little sister. “You only just came back—” he started but was quickly pushed aside as Jisu ran in. And while making her way to her room yelled ‘idiot, idiot, idiot’ repeatedly.

 

Jisu tumbled into bed with her shoes still on. She immediately reached out for her pillow and rolled towards the wall. She held the pillow out in front of her as she rolled onto her back. “He’s stupid,” she muttered to the pillow. She waited for it to reply, but of course it didn’t. Jisu sighed and embraced it, muttering something into it as she curled onto her side. “This is driving me crazy,” she grumbled and shuffled up onto her pillow. ‘I want dinner!’ she could hear Jongup groan from somewhere down stairs. Jisu rolled her eyes and tossed back onto her back. She stared at the shadows of trees from outside caress the ceiling. “Idiot,” she grumbled. She the laid motionlessly staring at the ceiling, her hands knotted by her stomach and her bottom lip pulled over the top. After a minute she laced her fingers into her fringe, twirling the ends of her hair she came to a conclusion. “But I still like Daehyun…” she muttered bitterly in defeat. Jisu shut her eyes and sighed. She shrunk under her duvets, her shoes still on. "I'm sorry Kai," she whispered to her pillow, hugging it a tiny bit tighter.

 

I felt bad for Kai while writing this...
First Sensibilty... 2 more days !! I preordered the album !! I'm so excited !!! iohoifkcoihrwqef I whos photocard will I get... AND IT COMES WITH A POSTER ! GAH !! > < feels feels~ it's my first time buying an album ; u ; because I'm poor ... (I have the Hajima album as a birthday present.)

Do you have any kpop albums or merchandise? o u o
I reaaally want a B.A.P official hoodie or snapback... I'm so biased I know... orz