Answers

Moonless Nights

Taemin blinked up at Minho and started to shake his head, lowering it instead and fidgeting with his fingers. After a few moments of silence, he finally opened his mouth.

 

"I was walking home from school and passed a cafe. It smelled really nice from outside, so I went in and got a wildberry smoothie. It was late by the time I left because I pulled out my math homework and got it done while I was drinking the smoothie. I knew it was kind of late and Kibum umma would be upset, so I cut through the park because it was faster and shorter.

 

"The other boys were following me though, and I didn't realize until it was too late," he paused and sighed at Minho. "Those boys, they're older, already ignited, and from another family in our coven. There are four families that together make up our coven, and they belong to the second most powerful. Dongwoo and Howon are really mean, they have been ever since I've known them. They call me a monster and a weakling because I'm barely a vampire and I haven't ignited yet."

 

"They caught up to me when I got to the playground and Howon blew the lights while Dongwoo grabbed me and held me. They beat me up first, and then they took off all my clothes. Howon used my own belt to whip my back, then Dongwoo did the same thing to my front. Howon took the belt back and hit me with the buckle all over," Taemin stopped and looked down, closing his eyes although his whole body was trembling as he remembered it all.

 

Jinki reached out to be supportive, but Minho's reaction time was quicker and it was his hand that found a place on the boy's shoulder. The human didn't say a word for Taemin to stop or keep going, waiting to see how the other was handling the memories.

 

"After they..." the youngest looking male continued. "After they used the belt, Dongwoo cut me with a knife in a bunch of places. I think he almost put it inside me, but Howon reminded him that they would already be in enough trouble with Kibum and the elders already. Both of them bit me a bunch, all over," he whispered the last part, eyes stinging at his eyes. Minho almost told him it was enough, but Taemin opened his mouth again. "They bit me and out a lot of my blood, then spit it on me and on the ground and kept saying how gross it was, how disgusting I am."

 

Even though he'd only known Taemin a short while, consciously anyway, the thought of the other vampires talking to the boy that way and treating him so harshly without reason made Minho's blood boil.

 

"Once they were done beating me up, they pushed me onto the ground and tied me to the pole like Minho found me," Taemin said quietly, nearly finished with how he'd gotten himself like that. "I was in too bad of a condition to break free, especially for a little baby vampire who hasn't ignited yet..." Minho could hear the pout in the younger's tone even though he couldn't see it. "And they soaked the ropes in holy water, so I didn't want to get hurt any further by struggling to much against them."

 

Kibum's face had turned into a scowl early on in Taemin's story. Jonghyun was having a hard time keeping him on the bed and as calm as he was. Kibum was probably fuming inwardly even worse than he was seething outwardly. His chestnut hair fell over his eyes as he looked down to the hand that was holding Jonghyun's.

 

"I was really scared like that, all alone," Taemin continued in a whisper. "I thought it was one of them coming back when I heard footsteps, or someone else that was going to hurt me. What if it was the other boys? What if it was a werewolf? What if it was a... a or serial killer or something?" Taemin's eyes had widened, thinking again about just how much trouble he could have been in. "But then I heard Minho hyung's voice and he didn't sound scary."

 

Minho flushed when he heard his name. He realized that he was going to get Taemin's version of the story now, so he scooted just a tiny bit closer to the boy.

 

"I was still scared and crying, but then he came and helped me," the boy whispered, smiling softly and looking down to the bed. "He untied my hands and gave me his sweatshirt so I wasn't anymore, and he was going to take me home to take care of be, but..."

 

"But then Taemin dragged me into this world of yours and submitted me to witnessing the cheesy, mushy, dorky mess that is Jonghyun and Kibum's relationship," Minho finished for him, reaching down to squeeze Taemin's hand gently.

 

Kibum had the decency to lower his head and flush at the comment, but Jonghyun would have none of it. The older man grabbed his boyfriend and pushed him down to the bed, kissing him deeply before pulling back with a grin, a grin that told everyone he knew he'd just put himself in the doghouse and he didn't give a . Kibum sat up with a glare and shoved Jonghyun clean off the bed, smirking in satisfaction at the thud and groan that sounded as the other hit the floor.

 

"I've made a decision, from the question at breakfast," Minho said quietly, turning a little so he was addressing mostly Jinki. "I think I'd like to keep my memories of all this. I can keep my mouth shut once I go back to my own life, and I just can't imagine life without knowing all this again." He bowed his head before continuing, "If that's alright with the rest of you."

 

Jinki nodded silently, clearing his throat as Minho lowered his head. "What do you plan on doing about Taemin's debt to you?"

 

Taemin looked up quickly when he heard his name, looking back and forth between Jinki and Minho nervously. He pulled his lower lip between his teeth and chewed on the flesh lightly while he waited on Minho's answer.

 

"Could I talk to Taemin privately about that?" the dark haired man requested, mostly asking Taemin if he was comfortable with being alone with him for a while.

 

Kibum once more tensed, but didn't speak out as harshly as he wanted to. "I'm going to be right out there in the hall, and if I even think something bad is happening to my baby, you will not make it out of this house alive, Choi Minho."

 

With that, Kibum stood and walked toward the door, Jonghyun following him like the puppy he was. Jinki rose and gave Taemin a hug, kissing his forehead and ruffling his hair before exiting the room with the others.

 

As soon as the door shut, the room fell silent, Minho and Taemin sitting on the bed and neither of them willing to break from the growing awkwardness for several minutes.

 

"What did you want to talk to me about, Master?" Taemin finally asked quietly, shaking his head. "I mean, Minho hyung?" he corrected himself, slowly turning toward the man.

 

Minho smiled and pulled Taemin close, pinning him to the bed and placing his finger over his lips, shushing him softly. He trailed the fingers of his other hand along the boy's cheek slowly.

 

"So if I'm your Master, that means you'll have to do whatever I say if I order you, right?" he whispered, smirking playfully.