Breathing

Moonless Nights

 

 
 
It had been a very long time since the Lee manor was still, and the silence made the whole family consider just how much had gone on in the past five years. Minho had been the first to disrupt their normally quiet lives, though no one wished him to leave. Taemin had overtaken most of the grounds when he punished those who had hurt him, but the pain he had inflicted had long since left the levels under the ground. Then Jinki had fallen in love with a witch from probably the only specific witch coven that would have angered his family so deeply. But Minji had more than made up for any lingering hatred of witches, and their little girl was growing up to be quite the adventure, with her vampire senses and slowly appearing witch powers. And now that she could talk, the adults were on high alert to keep their thoughts free of anything they didn’t want shared with the entire house.
 
“Congratulations!” Minho shouted again as he pulled into the drive with his boyfriend, Taemin only groaning louder this time. The last time.
 
“Alright alright. I get it. I finally graduated from high school for good. That was my last repeat cycle, especially since my appearance bulked up more after I ignited. Now, shut up,” Taemin chuckled, smiling bigger when Minho leaned over to kiss him loudly.
 
“.”
 
Minho only grinned wider and pecked his mouth, running a quick hand through his hair. “I know, and I’m sorry I’ve made you wait so long for everything. I know I’ve only gotten older, and you look almost exactly the same, but I wanted us to be able to breathe before we did all of the changing stuff…” he explained again, knowing he didn’t need to say anything when Taemin reached out for his hand.
 
“You mean you’re sorry for being such a prude?” the vampire smiled softer at his boyfriend and sighed into another kiss. He reached between Minho’s seat slowly and pulled a latch that sent the human’s seaat sliding back, smiling as he climbed into his boyfriend’s lap and kissed him deeper. “Are you sure you need to wait? I promise not to make fun of you for what you did a wimpy little human once you show me what you can do as a vampire,” he offered as he rolled his hips.
 
“I take it back. I’m not sorry at all,” Minho shook his head, molding his lips to Taemin’s with a smile and losing himself to the older man’s mouth until a knock on his window made him jump. “Coming, Hana,” he called softly, chuckling when the woman opened the door for him anyway, obviously not trusting the pair to make it inside in a timely manner.
 
Hana humphed at her nephew and eventual nephew-in-law, smiling fondly as she remembered her own youth and passion. Not that she’d lost her sense of desire, but closed doors and privacy had slowly overtaken her life and left impulse and oblivion in the wake. She had a sudden thought to maybe change that some, smiling to herself when Taemin caught some of those thoughts and made the most indignant of noises. Serves him right for keeping dinner waiting.
 
“Unca Tae Tae! Unca Minnow!” came a squeal from the floor as Seonhwa came running toward them on her little legs, jumping easily into Minho’s arms. He’d declared himself her favorite uncle on his own, but she didn’t do much to prove him wrong.
 
“There’s my girl. Guess what,” he waited for her to look up at him, wide eyes waiting for whatever secret he was about to share with her. “Uncle Minho is going to be a vampire soon, what do you think?” he whispered in her ear and smiled when she gasped and hugged him around the neck, squeezing a bit harder than he would have liked.
 
“Reaawwwyyyyyy? Then Unca Minnow will be the best bampire ever,” Seonhwa nodded confidently, squeezing him again and kissing his cheek before scampering down to run to the dining room. Running, because it was one of her two modes. Speed and sleep. Minho shook his head, sending a bit of sympathy Jinki and Minji’s way.
 
The dining room still felt empty without Jonghyun and Kibum, but they were spending time on their own to get a better feel for independence. There were responsibilities that would need taken on soon, but for now they were happily married and living in Bristol, England with nice jobs and an apartment together. It was great to know they were getting their bearings in the adult phase of life, but their presence had been missed for the three years they had been gone. There was a plan to have them home long enoughfor Minho’s Ignition, but that was still a few months out. Unofficially, most of the house knew they would stay through Christmas so they would have plenty of time to pester Minho and Taemin about their relationship, and spoil the sweet girl they hadn’t been around to see grow up yet.
 
Taemin’s last year ever of high school had looked like it would be a complete bore, but then JR’s wolf pack started having trouble with a couple growing in the area. He’d gained quite the group himself, but there were issues about territories and skirmishes that were getting out of hand. So making good on his vow, Taemin stayed with them for two months and helped settle the disputes the old fashioned way. JR’s pack gained a stronger hold on their territory, and there were even rumors of some sort of truce or agreement between the pack and the Lee vampire coven. Nothing was concrete, but once Taemin was the head, serious talks would certainly be held.
 
Minho was twenty-six and still felt young as ever, but then when he really looked at his face compared to Taemin’s, he was worried that they were growing too far apart in physical ages, or at least their looks. He’d wanted to wait until he became a vampire for them to really take that last step, but he hadn’t realized just how long it would be. It was time to take the more important step, and he knew he was ready. Still nervous, still kind of scared, but ready.
 
Jinki smiled lightly at the pair that finally took their seats, smiling encouragingly at Minho when he looked so thoughtful. He stayed out of the man’s thoughts for the most part, but he didn’t need to pry to find out what was bothering him. “I heard you’re going on vacation soon?” he offered, hoping to pull Minho out of his thoughts to focus on something different.
 
And it did the trick. The human perked up, shutting his mind down as he’d learned. “Yes. We decided to go adventuring for a year after I’ve turned, but we thought a bit of a break from everything to celebrate Taemin’s final graduation would be a good idea. We’ll be going to an undisclosed location and spending a month there, just the two of us,” Minho nodded, reaching over to Taemin’s hand and smiling bigger as he squeezed his boyfriend’s hand.
 
“All alone in a secret location, and you’re still planning on holding out,” Minji grinned at the human, bigger when Minho’s face reddened like crazy.
 
The teasing continued the full two weeks Taemin and Minho were getting ready. They each had a full large suitcase of clothes, a smaller suitcase for toiletries, shoes, accessories, any extras to wear, and a backpack of random junk they might need. Overkill, perhaps. But their trip would be a month long, not counting all the travel time to get there, and it was going to be good to be prepared.
 
The entire family accompanied Minho and Taemin to the airport, despite the hour of protesting they’d tried during breakfast. It was quite the sight: an old woman, a middle aged couple, and a young couple with a baby, following a pair of young men through the airport. It wasn’t an important vacation, so the pair had actually won the argument about getting cheaper seats. Grandmother had tried to order them to take first class seats as a gift, but Minho had already booked the tickets months before they revealed where they were headed just to foil such plans.
 
When they checked their bags, Grandmother spoke about horrible stories of lost baggage that got to the right destination a year late.
 
When they checked the current flight times and delays, the Kim parents just kept hugging them and telling them to be careful and have fun, but be careful while having fun.
 
When they checked in and went through the gate that kept their family back, Jinki and Minji started teasing them about being careful in other ways. Minji pulled a box of condoms from the diaper bag and handed them to Taemin with a wink, while Jinki gave Minho a little bag containing several different kinds of lube with a grin.
 
The youngest boys together gave an exasperated sigh and shook their heads, though pushing the oh-so-thoughtful gifts into their bags. There were a few more hugs and kisses and warm well wishes, and then there was time to actually breathe away from their family.
 
“I definitely understand why Kibum and Jonghyun felt like they needed to get out. And why Minji and Jinki stay in one of the other houses on the property for now,” Taemin shook his head and glared at the gate a little. Minho sighed as he looked at his gift closer. “We’ll have to split the lube or they’ll never let us take it with us. The bottles and tubes are small enough to be okay, but I think there are too many of them for one person to carry.”
 
It was a long flight, then a layover, then another flight to their destination. Minho was able to sleep absolutely anywhere, but Taemin had to take something Minji mixed up for him. She’d managed to make a sleeping candy for him, so it wouldn’t look suspicious, and all Minho had to do was kiss him for him to start waking up. She’d had a lot of time and a lot of fun working with the vampires to see what affected them, and trying out new recipes to make sure her potions worked in different forms.
 
Taemin grabbed the handles of both of their larger checked bags, leaving Minho with the carry-on bags as they approached customs. It was without a hitch that the kind looking woman ran their names, stamping Minho’s with a smile, then Taemin’s.
 
“Welcome to Canada.”
A/N: I know it's a boring filler, but the story needed more 2Min focus. So we'll have it for a while.
Question~ Would anyone like to see the rest of Taemin paying his debt to the wolves? Specifically the individual debts.
See you on the next Moonless Night~ <3