Deal

Moonless Nights
The silence in his home sent small pinpricks up and down Minho's spine, spreading across his shoulders as he shifted in his chair in an attempt to scratch them away and ease his discomfort. A hand slipping into his own did the job instead, and he smiled gently at his boyfriend next to him.
 
Minho had been invited to the discussion because it was held in his home, a neutral ground for the covens. He was also there because he himself was neutral, neither witch nor vampire. He was quite in love with a vampire, but his heart had been opened to the witches he had been introduced to through life's wonderfully complex plans.
 
Across from him at the table sat Minji and Jinki, of course, the source of need for these talks to begin with. He smiled once again to himself as he noted just how awkward they seemed. With Taemin on his left, the next head of the Lee Coven, he started feeling stronger about his own abilities, even though they were so quickly counted.
 
The stranger to Minho sat to his right, Chaerin and Minji's sister, Sandara. Although it seemed she preferred Dara instead. He stared briefly at the woman, wondering how old she was, how old she truly was, because she didn't look a day over thirty. He blushed, however, and turned his head away, when she caught his gaze and stuck her tongue out at him playfully.
 
Shaking his head in a fair amount of disbelief, Minho turned his eyes instead to Chaerin, then Grandmother, then back again and again. The two women exchanging auras, almost. Going in to such negotiations blind to what powers they usually possessed, powers which he assumed hadn't been blocked like this in all their lives. Once again the tension made his mouth dry and he stood slowly.
 
"I'll get us all a drink," the human said, voice so much smaller than he'd ever heard it, smaller than he knew possible. "Would anyone like something specific?" he added as he tried walking from the room as naturally as he could manage.
 
"Some water would be lovely, Minho, thank you," Grandmother said quietly, eyes finally leaving the witch across the table from her to watch him briefly. She smiled approvingly to herself, as he had decided on his own to get all five of them at the table something to drink, along with the two observers in the room. Water for everyone except Minji, whom he gave juice to help lift her spirits.
 
"Well then, I suppose we should begin our negotiations now, Young Ok, dear," Chaerin smiled lightly, amusement evident on her face at the faint scowl that flashed over the elder vampire's face from the fairly patronizing 'dear'.
 
Minji groaned softly in the back of at the small quip, Jinki shaking his head. He was also just a bit bemused by the way Chaerin spoke to his grandmother. It was not often that anyone dared to speak to her as an equal, let alone of someone in higher standing. The roles reversed, however, as Grandmother replied just as coolly to the witch, and his head hung low as Minji's lips twitched up in a smile.
 
YoungOk cleared , folding her hands together on the table. "Minji has told the Council that she and a few other witches from your coven will teach a group of our vampires about different potions that will aid us during battles or illnesses. Was she correct in saying that?" she began, not bothering to write anything down.
 
"Yes, that is correct. Minji is the best alchemist in the coven aside from myself, and I can see her guidance being quite beneficial to you," Chaerin nodded across the table. "There are many members of our coven who have expressed desire to befriend your vampires, and to be able to meet with them in public areas. I'm sure you remember how uncomfortable it was to go to the market or see a play or something and have to make sure you avoided anyone that these occasionally silly laws forbade you from associating with..."
 
"Chaerin..." Dara spoke up softly, raising her eyebrows at her sister's candid attitude as she discussed the arrangements. She shook her head as her eyes rolled when the coven head only beamed at her.
 
Taemin smiled to himself, the exchange very much reminding him of the looks Jinki and Jonghyun had given him and Kibum over the years. Sisters could speak volumes with their eyes, just as he had grown knowing brothers could.
 
"Alright, I can understand the benefits of this skill to our coven," YoungOk nodded slowly, giving Jinki and Minji a quick look. "I'm sure it will be a mutually pleasant event to have both covens permitted to meet, speak with, befriend, and possibly become involved with one another. And with that, I can't help but feel that would leave the proverbial scales unbalanced," she tilted her head at the other woman.
 
Chaerin smiled as she nodded, taking a slow sip from her glass. "There are many witches in our coven that thoroughly enjoy the time we all meet together, but they much prefer the lives they have in the world. I understand that there are vampires of your coven who live in the world, but the majority of your coven live in their family estates," she paused, sliding her nails up and down the glass slowly as she thought. "Your coven has very strict rules, I understand, but we have a much freer formality to our witches. There is concern that once this agreement, this partnership, has been established, that you will require a set of laws such as yours for our coven. I agree in this concern, so where do you stand in regard to imposing law on my coven?" she asked the vampire.
 
YoungOk smiled at the question. "Actually, we feel it would be rather impolite to expect the witches of your coven, several of whom are older than our elders, to change their lifestyles according to our laws. We also understand that there will be members of both covens who don't care to mingle at all with each other," she began slowly, folding her hands in front of her. "And so, there have been talks of arranging three separate sets of laws. One strictly for the Gong coven, one strictly for the Lee coven, and one for those who wish to be a part of both worlds," the vampire informed the other woman.
 
"Wouldn't that be a lot of work?" Minho couldn't help but ask, lowering his gaze quickly because he wasn't quite sure if he was allowed, let alone supposed to speak up during this meeting.
 
Dara flashed Minho a bright smile and sat up a bit straighter. "I agree, actually. The laws are so stuffy already, and trying to convince both councils to agree on an entire set of laws would be insane," she sighed, propping her chin up with the palm of her hand while she drummed her fingers on her cheek in thought. Minho caught himself once again staring, and it took an elbow to his side from Taemin for him to look away.
 
The room fell into a more comfortable silence while the group thought about some other option for the sort of compromise they needed. Finally, Minji popped her head up with an idea. "What if we just let them sign up for which category they choose? Vampires can choose to stay away from the witches and keep to the vampire laws. The same goes for the witches. And the third option will be for those who want to be able to meet and interact with the other coven," she suggested.
 
"Sounds like a Venn diagram," Taemin chuckled, tilting his head as he considered what he thought was a valid option. "But that still leaves the question of what rules those mingling witches and vampires will follow. By breaking the law of no contact, wouldn't that give some people an idea that they can throw out other laws as they see fit?" he added, a small sigh leaving his mouth.
 
"Why not a simple vote, then?" Jinki finally spoke up softly. "If we are letting these individuals choose who to associate with, wouldn't it stand to reason that they be allowed some say in how that association takes place?" he proposed, taking a deep breath and waiting on a nod from Taemin before continuing, "Each vampire or witch considering this new option could make a short list, five to ten items, for what they want to change and what they want to keep the same. After reviewing all the lists, we can form a new set of laws based on what they themselves feel would be appropriate."
 
Chaerin's lips curved upward at the corners as she listened, and she took a delicate sip of her water, using the gesture to peer over the rim of her glass at YoungOk. She waited as the vampire did the same, and each of them was able to tune out the other voices in the room to have an exchange of their own. It was a bit difficult at first, not being able to truly read one another, but it would have been clear to anyone watching that they were in agreement as both women placed their glasses down at the exact same moment, their movements fluidly in sync.
 
"Alright."
 
"Very well."
 
And at that, the room silenced once more. Five pairs of eyes trailed between Chaerin and YoungOk, some blinking and some staring. Although, the same thoughts ran behind each set of eyes.
 
"Alright?" Jinki blinked more, taking in a deep breath and letting it out shakily as he tried to keep himself from crying. He was too relieved though, and he excused himself quietly to the bathroom to wipe his joyous tears and wash his face.
 
"What about the relationship aspect of this new alliance? Will other vampires and witches be allowed to be in a relationship like this?" Taemin asked, eyes lowering to Minji's swollen stomach.
 
Sitting up more, Dara gazed at her youngest sister before her eyes lifted to look at Chaerin in question. "Would that be wise? I mean, we don't even know the risks yet of having such a child," she reminded her sister, although she was certain that her coven's leader understood the complications.
 
A sudden jump came from Minji, and she blushed as her hands covered her stomach. "I haven't felt any real kicks before," she explained sheepishly, then cleared and looked between the two strong women at either end of the table. "Actually, both covens have requested a few tests that Jinki and I have agreed to. Blood samples, tear samples, testing of all sorts on the baby. Once the tests are finished, there will be a clearer answer to relationships. It seemed too cruel to allow relationships, but not children, so it might be another thing to consider once those interested in bridging the gap create their new set of laws."
 
Chaerin stood next, circling the table halfway to extend her hand to the vampire. She was met with a matching cautious smile as YoungOk stood to shake her hand, small gasps sounding as they both gave a small bow.
 
"Is it really that big of a deal?" Minho asked, his voice small because of the looks he'd been given. So to add to the moment, he gasped loudly and placed his hand over his mouth, making his eyes wide to complete the look. The human smiled softly when the room erupted into giggles and small laughs, just in time for Jinki to return and join the woman he loved.
 
"I told you it would work out, Oppa. Now we can relax and just enjoy life as it is until our daughter comes. It won't be long now..."

A/N: Yes, their baby girl is coming soon~
I know this was kind of wordy and blah, but it gets better!