Busted, Again

Moonless Nights

"Maybe I should start calling you Minwhore..."

 

Minho blinked at the voice that woke him from slumber, scrambling away from Jonghyun and looking up at Jinki, who was leaning against the door frame.

 

"I wasn't... We weren't..." the human stammered, sighing at the way Jonghyun sat up and looked at him for an answer.

 

Jinki chuckled from the frame and joined them on the bed. "I know you weren't, but Kibum's right. You're entirely too much fun to terrorize..."

 

Minho narrowed his eyes at the bemused vampire and threw a pillow at him. "You just want me to die of a heart attack and free Taemin from his obligation," he challenged, then fell back to the mattress and stuck his tongue out childishly before pulling Jonghyun to closer to claim another hug.

 

"You caught me," Jinki grinned and pushed the pillow over Minho's face as if to smother him.

 

"Actually I came to tell you it's dinnertime," the elder vampire explained. "Taemin and Kibum are talking about a few things and they'll meet us in the dining room. I think one of the things they're talking about is Kibum apologizing for what he did to you earlier, Minho," Jinki told them quietly and stood up to beckon them downstairs.

 

"What he did ear- You mean your nose?" Jonghyun asked with furrowed brows as he climbed out of bed. "You didn't tell me what happened with that," he pointed out to Minho.

 

The human shook his head a little and looked to Jinki for a decision about whether or not he should explain, sighing when the vampire simply shrugged. "I'll let him tell you about it," Minho finally answered and started leading the way to the dining room. He made it most of the way on his own, only turning down one wrong hallway.

 

Jonghyun frowned at the answer, but he figured he'd know what happened if it was important enough. He slid into place next to Kibum once they reached the dining room, reaching down to hold his hand lightly.

 

Minho couldn't help himself when he saw Kibum, and thoughts of what Jonghyun had told him rushed to the front of his mind before he could stop them.

 

"You told him?!" Kibum gasped, wrenching his hand from Jonghyun's to cover his mouth as his eyes closed. "I can't believe you would tell him, everything," Kibum breathed, his eyes watering as he looked and then turned away from his boyfriend. After muttering something that sounded like 'I need a minute', he got up and exited the room entirely.

 

Mr. and Mrs. Kim came in as he left, looking to the boys in confusion but staring harder at Jonghyun because he had his head lowered guiltily.

 

"I... I'll go..." Minho volunteered and stood up. He ruffled Taemin's hair to tell him it would be okay before leaving the room.

 

Kibum sat on the second lowest step on the right side of the grand staircase, feet planted on the floor. He had his head resting in his hands, elbows propped just above his knees, taking deep, slow breaths. Everything about Kibum's appearance screamed at Minho to stay away, but he instead walked closer and took a seat next to him. Neither man spoke for several minutes, not until Minho raised his hand with the intention of placing it on the other's shoulder or back to help, at least in theory.

 

"I knew it would be you," the vampire said in a whisper, unmoving otherwise. The sudden words caused Minho's fingers to curl and his hand to retract to his lap.

 

Kibum sighed deeply before continuing, "Even without smelling you or reading you or hearing you, I knew you'd be the one to come and see if I was alright."

 

"Are you?" the human asked quietly, taking the other's silence as uncertainty rather than an answer and forcing his hand to Kibum's shoulder. "I'm not really sure what a good thing to say would be."

 

Kibum's lips curved into a slow smile, just the corners of his mouth, and he let out a tiny chuckle. "You're a bit of a lunatic, aren't you?" he asked, the humor lasting only a brief moment before his smile turned sad and he glanced toward the human who was trying to comfort him.

 

"I don't think you're a monster any more than Taemin is," Minho finally murmured, confident that Kibum would hear him no matter how softly he spoke.

 

"You..." the chestnut haired male scoffed, shaking his head lightly. "I've killed two people, humans, threatened your life, and I've broken your nose. And you say I'm no monster." He shook his head again. "You really are crazy."

 

Minho smiled to himself when he heard Kibum's thoughts. "You didn't murder them. You're not a cold blooded killer. Despite the heart attacks you've given me, I don't mind that you will probably continue threatening my life unless or until I'm no longer Taemin's master," he smiled lightly and shifted a little to sit more comfortably now that he was relaxed.

 

Kibum shook his head again incredulously. "And what about my breaking your nose?" he asked curiously, seeing that the man's nose was still read and a bit swollen. It looked rather painful or at least very uncomfortable.

 

"Well," Minho started, looking down as he touched it tenderly. "It hurt like a , but I know you could have done worse and when you cleaned me up... That part kind of helped me get more comfortable with being in a house full of vampires, knowing that self control isn't just something you talk about."

 

"I was wrong," Kibum chuckled. "You're a complete lunatic, Choi Minho," he smiled and then gasped when the man leaned over to kiss his temple.

 

"You should be institutionalized."

 

Minho simply grinned at the comment and stood up, pulling Kibum from the step as well. "Come on," he smiled again, walking back into the dining room.

 

"He's alive!" Jinki cheered as Minho appeared through the door way first. Kibum followed, but stopped just short of entering the dining room. Minho looked back to see what the hold up was, then smiled at the way the vampire had his head down sheepishly, embarrassed at having to leave at all.

 

"I'll do it again if you don't come to the table," Minho warned teasingly about the innocent peck and finally caused the other's head to snap up.

 

"Do it, I dare you," Kibum grinned widely at him before brushing past the man to sit by his boyfriend. He picked up Jonghyun's hand and kissed his palm gently fore whispering, "I'm sorry, Jjong. I knew he'd find out eventually but I wasn't prepared for it yet. I shouldn't have been so upset with you."

 

Jonghyun shook his head and pulled Kibum closer. "It's fine, baby, really. I should have waited until either you told him yourself or you said it was okay."

 

The adults sat quietly while the other two came back, having heard the explanation from Jonghyun. Once everything was settled, Grandmother cleared .

 

"Well then, now that everyone has joined us, shall we eat?" she said with authority, no question in her tone. After two sharp claps of her hands, several servants came into the room and placed the food before them. Dinner was pleasant and uneventful, until dessert was served and the subject once more was brought up of the arrangement between Minho and Taemin.

 

"I'm not sure I feel comfortable about Taemin being all alone with Minho yet," Mrs. Kim said honestly, keeping her voice down. "But I suppose I'll have to agree if that's what the five of you have already decided," she sighed softly, poking at her cake before taking a sip of water instead.

 

Minho decided to stick up for himself this time. "Mr. Kim, Mrs. Kim, Grandmother," he started, addressing each of them individually. "I am going to do my very best to take care of Taemin and make sure that our situation doesn't ever make him uncomfortable." The man paused, his turn to take Taemin's hand. "I know that this has to be difficult, but please believe that I have his best interest at heart," he finally finished after a couple seconds of considering his words.

 

"Since I'll be going into town anyway to drop Taemin off at school, I could take Minho home tomorrow morning," Jinki spoke up, relieving the tension with a small subject change.

 

Mr. Kim nodded his agreement slowly. "That sounds just fine, and the other two can go along so you're all invited into Minho's home."

 

The human looked between the others as they spoke, interested that he hadn't been asked about any of them going to his apartment other than Taemin, but it wasn't as if he had any objections to offer.

 

"What do you mean by 'invited in' to my home?" he asked softly, looking to anyone and everyone for an answer.

 

Taemin straightened in his chair and cleared his throat. "Vampires cannot enter someone's home, especially a human's, unless invited. We are simply not capable of just waltzing in, like some sort of invisible barrier stops us," he explained to his master. "Among friends though, a quick 'Come over sometime' would suffice, or an unspoken invitation between family members, and the invitation will last unless or until the owner of the home or property declares the other unwelcome," he added, nodding to himself a little and sounding a bit like he was reciting a rule book.

 

"It's a little more like invisible chains on your wrists and ankles to keep you from moving closer," Kibum added quietly, looking down a little. "I went to the wrong door one time in here and bedrooms of large places like this or hotel rooms have the same effect," he explained how he knew how things worked better.

 

Minho tilted his head and nodded slowly. "Why do all of you need invited in? Taemin's the only one that's really going to be there," he searched their faces again for an answer.

 

"We're using that as an insurance policy so that Kibum can really come to kill you if you ever hurt Taemin," Jonghyun said, once more with a completely straight face. Minho noticed though that the male couldn't hide the amusement in his eyes, and simply rolled his own.

 

"It's not that I mind, I was just curious," the human mumbled, then glared at Jonghyun playfully. "But I'll know who to come after if I ever come home to find all my photos upside down and drawers rearranged, Kim Jonghyun."

 

Grandmother sat at her place at the head of the table silently while she watched the others' exchange, finally speaking up once Minho started teasing the other boys. "Alright, children," she began, calling an almost immediate silence to the room. "Minho, I'm very pleased that you've already made friends with the boys and you're able to get along. As for the rest of you, it's gotten late and you all have an early start to take Taemin to Minho's and to school. Off to bed with you."

 

Minho smiled at the warmth he felt from the elder woman, finding it even more comforting that she had more than her stature as the head of the household. He was later than the other boys to stand up, but bowed before exiting the dining room. Tomorrow would be an interesting day to be sure.