Wonder - IX

A Part of Me (Amber Liu's Multi-shots)

3 months have passed by and the two became very good friends. They would meet to catch up occasionally if neither of them is busy and most of the time, Amber is the one who would invite Jessica first and they would make plans to hang out, if when and where they wanted to go.  Amber really considers Jessica as a good friend and she thought that it is not so bad to hang out with her. To be honest she has been enjoying her company.  She found out so many things about Jessica. Starting off from how she is living at --- where she lives with her best friend named Sunny in a little apartment; to how she returned working as a worker. She realized that the woman is always so shy but sweet; so grateful with everything despite of all the hardships that she has previously been through. Its as if both has as well forgotten about what happened before the 'incident'. Or..

So Amber thought.

=====

Amber has yet again invited Jessica, but this time to her company's party. At first Jessica declined because she is not used to being in a place where there are lots of people or just in a luxurious set up. But Amber insisted that it would be fun and reassured her that she will not be alone. Amber asked Key  to pick up Jessica from her home and to help her as well with what she would wear at the party. Jessica, then eventually agreed. She thought there would be no harm in going to a party. It will be a new experience after all.

It was the day of the party and Amber is driving to the event. She is wearing a tuxedo which she personally chose out for the day. Her hair is nearly combed back, that made her look so manly. She looked at her car's clock and its 6:45 PM, the party starts at 7 PM and she's almost near at the hotel where the party will be hosted at. Then she realized to forgot to check up on Jessica.

"." She cursed, and fishes out her mobile phone from her jacket pocket. She dialed Key's number since she asked him to help Jessica with the dress and as well to accompany the party.

1st, 2nd and last attempt of calling Key, but the latter is not answering which Amber felt frustrated. She is worried about Jessica. What could have happened to her? Amber tried to dialed one last more, but then gave up when she only received  endless rangs from the other line.

Finally, she has reached the hotel and pulled over to the concierge. Going out from her car she gave the car keys to the valet before making her way through the lobby of the Hotel. Upon reaching the elevators, she dialed Key's phone number again as she pressed the button for the fourth floor and waited patiently for the lift ride.

The elevator opened on the fourth floor and she made her way down the hallway until she found the events place. She found that there are so many people already at the party. Some people were dancing, some were drinking, even the ones that were just talking in small groups, they all seemed to be having fun.

"Amber!" She heard calling from behind. She turned around and finally saw Key. She let out a sigh of relief but frowned when she saw that Jessica is nowhere to be found.

"Where is Jessica? I thought I told you to pick her up from her house?" Amber asked worriedly when Key came up to her.

"No worries" Key said, grinning. "She's at the restroom. She'll come back in a minute." Key said, taking a drink of his wine. It's not even starting and Key looks like already tipsy. Amber chuckled at him. Amber then started to look around again for Jessica or anyone else. Suddenly, her eyes locked with someone walking across the room. When she looked closer she realized it was none other than Jessica. At that time she colored her hair with dark red which matched her dress very nicely. Her face was perfectly framed by a light pink lipgloss. She was wearing white simple dress and matching heels which made her even more beautiful than before. A smile crept up onto Amber's face when she looked at Jessica.

"Hi, Amber." Jessica greeted and smiled when she walked up to her.

"Hi, Jessica." Amber responded giving her a small smile. Amber was looking at her from top to bottom and she must admit that Jessica is beautiful for tonight's party. "I must say that you look beautiful tonight." She continued, her eyes is still wondering at the dress Jessica is wearing.

Jessica blushed and gave a shy smile. "Thank you. She replied, trying to hide her blush. "You don't look too bad yourself. You look stunning as always."  She added, smiling at Amber.

"I am happy that you are able to come to the party." Amber said, still admiring Jessica's beauty.

"I thought that it will be a good experience instead of isolating myself in my apartment." Jessica grinned, which made Amber chuckled.

"Hey, enough chit-chat! You guys are missing the fun! Let's party!" Key shouted excitedly while swinging the champagne in air. Both Amber and Jessica just laughed, at their tipsy friend. "Come on let's go!" Then he grabbed   them along by their hands until they reached the main hall where everyone was already dancing. As the most shy person among the three, of course Jessica didn't want to dance but because of Key's convincing powers, Jessica just enjoyed and joined the two.

=====

It is very late in the evening but the people who are currently in the event ---they felt that the night is still young. The music is still loud and the lights are still bright ; a lot of people are dancing to the beat of the song and others are just talking or enjoying themselves around their own tables.
 

After Key has dragged Amber and Jessica to dance, Amber needed to excuse herself to meet her boss. Amber actually did not notice that she has been talking to her boss and other colleagues for so long that made her forgot Jessica.  She really doesn't know what time it is but it's probably quite late already. She looks around the room to see if she can spot Jessica anywhere but failed.

Finally, she now excused herself from her boss and looks for Jessica. After a few minutes of looking for her in the crowded party, she finally saw her at the corner of the balcony sitting alone. Amber did not approach her yet, and observe her just a few minutes.

From her point of view, it seems that Jessica is drinking a cup of coffee or tea, which she chuckled at that. But what made her wonder, why Jessica is looking at the sky full of stars, smiling gently and admiring them. And even though Amber is observing from afar, she could feel how happy and peaceful Jessica is when she looks at the sky like this.

Finally, Amber walked towards her with purpose and sat down next to her on the balcony seat. "What are you doing here? You're missing the party." She said smiling over at Jessica.

Jessica turned around, surprised to see Amber sitting beside her, but smiled back. "Amber.." she responded softly.

"You seem so happy tonight, Jessica" Amber remarked. 

Jessica sighed in content. "I am", she replied softly. The night has been great for her and she's never felt more alive than now. "I don't know why, but I'm always thinking about how beautiful the night sky is." Jessica added looking back at the sky.

Amber also did the same and almost in awe how beautiful indeed the sky is with all the stars shining so bright. "Is it why you are here?"  Amber asked still staring at the sky.

There was a long pause, "Yes." Jessica answered softly and Amber felt that Jessica is staring at her. She turned to meet Jessica's eyes and immediately, the latter avoided her gaze and stooped her head low. She tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear before shyly glancing over to Amber.

There were no words exchanged between them for another few seconds before, "Are you enjoying the party, though?" Amber asked.

Jessica looked up quickly before smiling, "Of course. Everything is so great and fun."

"Well, I am happy that you are enjoying the party and I am so sorry that I kinda left you alone earlier."

"Its okay, Amber. I actually just felt want to go here since then."

"Here at the balcony?"

Jessica nodded, "Yes. I felt like I could not keep up with the people inside." She answered, smiling sheepishly.

Amber furrows her eyebrows, "Why is that?"

"Cause everyone has class, everyone was able to finished their studies --- everyone, has a good job. While me ---- I did not even finish highschool and just a worker."

Amber is at loss of words. She really does not know what to say to Jessica. Amber felt that Jessica might have some issues with confidence and felt that she needed to guide her on how to boost it.  "Hey," Amber this time sounded so stern, "Thats uncalled for."

Jessica looked at her in confusion, "First of all please do not look down on yourself. That's bad. Your job might be get looked different by others, but as long as you are not stepping on someone, and you are not doing anything bad then you're fine."

Jessica just went silent, blinking at Amber, "Starting from now on. I want you to have confidence in yourself. Okay? You have to be strong always." Amber continued. "There is actually no easy path for everyone to be successful. So long that you are not gonna give up no matter what will happen, you will eventually reach your dreams. You have to remember that."

Amber observed Jessica's reaction and the latter seemed awe and loss of words of what Amber had just said. Jessica then eventually nodded her head slowly.  She was still staring at Amber with those soft eyes, but it didn't take long for a shy smile to creep onto her lips. "Thank you, Amber."

Amber smiled back. She knew Jessica would understand. After all, she had been through many times. And although her voice sounded small, it held a hint of gratitude and a little bit of sadness. It made Amber feel good inside knowing that she could help Jessica. The older girl was such a fragile, innocent soul. And Amber hated when anyone hurt others like this.

"You're welcome." She gave back with the same gentle tone.

They shared a little moment together staring at the beautiful night sky, until they needed to go back to the party to join Key.

=====

After the party, Amber offered to Jessica to give her a ride home. As usual the ride was quiet but peaceful for both of them. However Amber felt that Jessica would want to say something as she felt that Jessica kept on glancing at her on the way home. But then, Amber thought that maybe she was just imagining things and just shrug off the idea.

The next day, Amber was at the office, settling some tasks until she received an email from her boss to come to his office. She responded to the email with the "okay, boss.", before putting her computer to sleep and going out to his office.

"Hey! Amber come in!"

Amber smiled at his boss before closing the door behind her.  He gestured for her to have a seat on the chair across from him, which she did.  Her boss sat down on his desk chair as he looked over his laptop screen and smiled widely to Amber. "Good Morning, Amber. How are you?"

She returned the smile before replying, “I’m fine, sir. Thank you.”

He chuckled, “ I am going to be straight to the point and have got good news."

She gave a nod of her head that signaled she was interested.  "Well, I received an email from our new CEO yesterday about some changes we might need to make during the coming year.”  That caught her attention as she leaned forward in her chair slightly. "And that part is you will be promoted to Senior Director of Operations and will be designated to Los Angeles!"

She smiled at him. “That’s amazing!”  And she meant it.  LA is her hometown and she didn't expect that she will be permanently living there soon! And after working so hard to get where she was now, she deserved it.  “Thank you, Sir.”  She said sincerely.  The promotion was one thing, but actually getting to work with such a powerful company was another. "Don’t thank me yet.  This is just a small bump in the road. But, let’s face it, this is your biggest step up in all your career!”

Amber could not stop smiling and went speechless. It felt really good!  After all, she has worked so hard these past few years.  And now, when she finally had a chance to show she deserved that promotion, it felt like it was a dream come true! "Sorry boss, if I could not say anything much. I am just happy. Speechless but very happy. Thank you for giving me this opportunity. Rest assured that you will not regret this."

He laughed. “It’s fine. If anything, I am glad that we are able to do this together.  So that I can be proud of how my best employee has turned out. You deserve this."  He gave her a reassuring smile.  “Now go home. Enjoy yourself while you still can. We will discuss this again later. Dismissed!” She smiled brightly at him before exiting the room. She couldn't wait to share this wonderful piece of information with her parents, siblings and especially her friends.

=====

"What? You got promoted and will be returning to LA?" Key exclaimed in happiness and Amber just laughed at him.

They are in the club now, drinking beer and celebrating Amber's promotion, which she was really looking forward to because finally after so many years, she will be coming home ---- to Los Angeles. It took her 5 years to stay in Korea and work in a Fintech company. And now  she could not wait to go home and finally be with her family once again.

"Why you don't believe me?" Amber jokingly said, taking a swig of her beer.

"Because it's ridiculous!" Key replied laughing back. "You're still the same Amber I knew 5 years ago. But if you get promoted like that, then maybe you got something you deserve?" He suggested wiggling his brows while he takes another drink from his own bottle.

Amber rolled her eyes fondly. "Yeah, sure, whatever." She replied nonchalantly before asking him about what happened last week in his life. Key is always telling stories, and this time is no exception, as he talks about his new apartment, meeting a new boyfriend that he is obsessed with. Amber would just laugh at him sometimes , but she is also happy for him too. He deserved this. After all, being single for 5 years isn't easy. They spent the rest of the night like that, sharing anecdotes and jokes until Amber eyes shifted to a different direction and landed onto a familiar figure.

Key stop midway between his joke as he noticed Amber's somewhat staring at someone, "Who are you looking at?" He asked and turn his head towards the direction of where Amber's eyes are fixed at.

"Is that, Jessica?" Amber asked pointing at the woman with a long curly hair and wearing a skimpy dress. The girl in question is with two men, in a VIP booth. The man who has a weird Justin Bieber's hair has his arm around Jessica's shoulder, while the other man has his arm around Jessa's waist. As Amber analyzed, it looks like Jessica is uncomfortable with the situation.

"Yeah, man. Who's she with?" Key asked, Amber shrugged off her shoulders, "Man, those men are so creepy and old. Oh my gosh." Key continued and shook his head in disbelief.

Amber on the other hand did not comment further and just continue staring at their direction. Part of her wanted to go there, however it was just none of her business. She remembered that Jessica was still working in the club as a worker, so the two men might be her clients. But, as she observed from where she and Key was standing at, Jessica felt very uncomfortable. Amber kept on observing them. Her eyes darted all over them. She knew that they were bad guys. However, Amber could do nothing about it, especially since she had no idea if this would end badly for Jessica or not.

Amber sighed and felt defeated and just averted her gaze to a different direction. Until she realized that Key is not beside her anymore. Her eyes searched for him and went so wide when she saw him walking towards Jessica's direction.

"Key!" Amber shouted and followed him. Amber did not know if it's a good idea, especially those two men looks so dangerous, like they are some sort of gang members. Key walked fast and Amber tried to keep up but she can't. When they finally reached the booth, Key smiled and said, "Hello!" In a cheerful voice.

Amber mentally facepalm herself. She should've known better than trusting him. What a fool! Amber thought angrily. The two men turned with a scrunched up face which you would tell right away that they do now want to be disturbed. Jessica on the other hand was surprised to see Key ---- and especially Amber.

Amber looked at Jessica and they stared for a minute until, Jessica turned her head away in embarrassment.

"How can I help you?" One of the two men asked, standing and approaching towards Amber and Key. He is tall, bulky and could pass off like a bouncer and Amber noticed how this man's hands are hidden inside of his jacket. He is definitely armed.

Amber was not able to think and she doesn't know where she got the courage to answer the man. "Hi, we are actually part of the VIP Club Management and we would like to invite you for a survey?" Amber said smiling, and she can feel Key's bewildered looks thrown at her. She didn't know how she came up with this, "survey" but only thing she knows that she needs to get Jessica from these two men.

"Survey?" The other man asked, totally confused, as he also approached both Key and Amber. "We are locals here and I do not think this club has this survey you're talking about."

Amber gulped, we're screwed. Until Key butted in, "Oh, its actually a new campaign of this club and for every survey you get 10% discount on drinks." Key winked at the two men who were staring intently at Amber and Key.  "So, we can guarantee you 10%. It'll save money. Plus it's free." Key added, and Amber sensed that two men grow suspicious

So far, no one is giving any reactions, and neither of the men seems to buy what Key said.   Amber started to feel worried, she thought that the situation might escalate to something worse. Is this even a good idea? Both men's expressions were unreadable as they exchange glances at each other for a few seconds. Amber had a short glimpse over Jessica and noticed her worried face.

Amber does not want to worsen the situation and to put everyone in danger. So Amber spoke first, "Listen, we do not mean any harm here. We're actually here to support ----"

"You ing shut your mouth up." The tall and bulky man lowly said, and Amber gulped, startled by that response and her eyes grew when the man started to slowly took his hands out from his jacket pocket.

Oh, .