Wonder - VIII

A Part of Me (Amber Liu's Multi-shots)

Amber

 

Amber awoke from the sounds coming from the kitchen. It appears that someone is cooking. Bacon. But who could it be? Amber thought.

She slowly opened her eyes and twitched when the light directly hit it. She made a mental note to buy a new chandelier that is not as glowy as she currently have. She left out a yawn after she stretched her body and sat up. She wondered, why she slept on the sofa instead of on her bed?

Key? Club? Jessica?

She almost forgot. She rescued Jessica from that Psycho at the club yesterday night. And how can Amber also forget, when she noticed that Jessica is eye-ing her lips? At that moment, Amber did not know what to feel and told Jessica that she can have her bedroom and left all of a sudden. Leaving Jessica puzzled.

Sighed.

Amber peered over the kitchen and saw Jessica is busy cooking. She was wearing one of Amber's white t-shirts, which is surprisingly big on Jessica. Amber let out a small smile as she thought that the latter is cute on her clothes.

Did I just think that? Oh, whatever.

Trying not to scare the blonde girl, Amber gently walked over to the kitchen to only get some water from the refrigerator.

"Oh. You are awake." Jessica said, gently smiling at Amber, and the latter did the same.

"Yeah. Just woke up." Then, Amber gulped the water bottle before asking, "What time did you wake up?"

"Around 6 am," Jessica said. "Sorry, if I used your kitchen without telling you. It's just that, I thought it was good that you had breakfast before I left."

Amber then noticed that Jessica seems like she is only cooking for one person. "My breakfast? You can eat breakfast as well with me. I don't mind."

Then, Amber noticed that Jessica's neck became red. She thought she needed to be careful with what she is saying to Jessica next time. Then the latter only showed a shy smile to her. " By the way, what time did you wake up?" Amber asked casually trying to make small talk so that it would not get awkward.

"I think around 6 am," Jessica said which Amber hummed in return.

"By the way.." Amber trailed, then she sat on one of the chairs by the kitchen bar, "I need to leave at 9 am for some errand. After our breakfast, I will bring you home."

Jessica did not answer right away and Amber thought if she said something offending. Although she thought its cute when she saw Jessica's ears turning red at the offer. "Thank you," Jessica said quietly, smiling over at Amber.

They had a good breakfast, Amber thought. Even though Jessica had just cooked Eggs and rice --- it tasted delicious. Maybe because she have not had home food meals for a long time. Nevertheless, a simple breakfast made her super satisfied.

"How are you?" Amber asked all of a sudden. It was just only an innocent question and she wanted to ask, especially since they haven't seen each other for a long time and what happened last night.

It was a long pause from Jessica, "I am okay." She smiled.

So short, yet seems it felt so painful.

Amber did not press anymore and just smiled in return. She noticed the small bruises on Jessica's lips, and cheeks and can't help but remember what she witnessed at the club. Amber then suddenly felt guilty and she did not understand why.

They had a quiet but peaceful breakfast. They would sometimes have small talks, with Amber always initiating the conversation. She felt that even though it is just a short breakfast, she felt satisfied with Jessica's cooking and as well the company of her's. This is the first time that Amber let someone slept over in her condo, and she thought that it felt fine.

After they had breakfast, both prepared to leave. The trip to Jessica's place was again quiet. Amber would feel, Jessica would take glances sometimes and made her do the same to the point she would catch Jessica staring at her. Whenever she do so, she would smile and proceed to drive.

Not long after they pulled over to Jessica's apartment.

"Here we are," Amber announced, smiling over to Jessica.

Jessica did the same and nodded, "Thank you so much, Amber for driving me home and for allowing me to borrow your clothes in the meantime." 

"No worries. I am glad to help. Thank you as well for cooking us breakfast."

Amber smiled when she saw Jessica's blushing again. She is sure indeed that the latter is blushing, cause of the pink shade on her cheeks. Amber just find it cute --- thinking about  it innocently or whatever that is. "Thank you, Amber." Jessica says softly, staring into Amber's eyes.

"You are welcome." Then, all of a sudden she found Jessica continuously staring at her. She thought, Jessica's gonna say something but, ""Hey, Jessica.  Are you okay?"

And with that, it's as if Jessica was back to reality, and blinked twice. She kinda stooped her head low and Amber thought that she might got shy as she saw Jessica's ears turning red. "Sorry." Jessica stutters, "I didn't mean to stare."

"Oh, no. It's okay." Amber realized what she said and started to stutter too which made her blush. "I mean, no need to say sorry. You did not do anything harmful."  Amber smiled at Jessica, which made the latter do the same.

"Thank you so much again for bringing me home."

Amber chuckled, "You are saying "Thank you" too much. I might ask you to pay me next time when you say it again."

Both of them chuckled, smiling at each other then there was just a brief silence with the two just staring at each other. Amber felt that Jessica really wants to say something. "I better get going. I do not want to take up so much of your time. Thank you again." Jessica said, all of sudden breaking the silence surrounding in the car. Amber nodded in response, and Jessica finally went out of the car.

She watched Jessica walked to her apartment and realized that the place she's staying at is small. If Amber could describe it, its a small version of studio type which she thinks only enough for 1 or 2 person. She wonders how Jessica is being able to cope with that. When she saw Jessica finally enters her apartment, Amber remembers one last time what happened the other night and let out a loud sigh, then finally droving off to her next commitments.
 

It is a busy Monday and  there were so many people on the streets specifically near Amber's workplace. Maybe because it is as well already lunch time especially their building is situated at the business district of Seoul. Meanwhile, Amber is currently in her office and  was trying to figure out a deal for some client who is requesting an expensive gift which she felt an unbelievable request. But so far the deal she had worked so hard for with that specific client was successful and she is grateful about that. However, the downside was, that she needs to go out for lunch soon. The last thing that Amber wanted is to waste a whole day at work because of her own hunger.

She stood up, and just felt overwhelmed to see pile of documents on her desk. "Oh well." She laughed at herself. She thought she will just finish it later after lunch. "I think, it will not be a bad thing right?" She said to herself -- or to the papers, which its as if it will respond to her. She then took her blazer from her ergonomic chair and before she even left her desk, the office telephone rang.

Amber left out a growl feeling frustrated. She haven't had breakfast and is hungry. Who might be calling this lunch time? She unwillingly picks up the phone and sighed. "Hello, Amber speaking."

"Hi, Ms. Liu. This is the front desk. I would like to inform you that you have a visitor waiting in the lobby."

Amber is puzzled for a moment, wondering who would be visiting her. "Who is it?"

Then the phone line went static, which made her does not understand what the front desk agent has said. "I am sorry, what? It seems you are breaking up."

Then it went static again, which made Amber impatient. She rolled her eyes. " Okay, okay. I will just go down. Thanks." And with that, she hung up and went straight to the elevator to go down.

Ding.

Amber then went straight to the reception desk. Then she saw the agent looks up and smiled at her. "Hi, Ms. Liu." She then pointed someone over at the lobby. "That person is looking for you." Amber looks over to see who the agent is pointing at and she was surprised to see Jessica.

She then remembers that it has been 3 days since they last saw each other. Since then, she did not hear from Jessica again and she thought she should call the latter to just only check up on her.

As Amber approached Jessica, she saw how immersed the latter with writing something on a notebook that she did not notice that Amber is walking towards her.

"Hi."

Amber chuckled how Jessica  jolted her head up with a shocking face.

"O-oh. Amber, I am so sorry I did not see you there." Jessica quickly said.

"Its okay. No worries. Is everything alright, Jess?" Amber asked curiously while taking a seat beside Jessica.

Jessica immediately gave her a warm smile. "Everything is great."

"I guess you are here for something?" Amber guessed.

Jessica nodded, "Yes. I actually came to give you this."  Jessica reached over and handed her some brown paper bag. Amber opened it and inside seems like a peice of clothing. Wondering, she took it out from the bag and realized that it is her shirt. It is the one that Jessica wore when she slept at Amber's place.

"I washed it and decided to give it to you. I am so sorry for returning it to you after 3 days."

"Oh, no. it's okay. I actually kinda forgot that you had my shirt. " Amber smiled. "How are you, Jessica?"

Amber then asked, slightly concerned. She did not know what had happened to Jessica for the past three days and she just wanted to check up on her.

"I am good now. A lot better than before." Jessica replied honestly. Amber smiled and nodded.

"That's good to hear." Amber hesitated to ask about Jessica's work cause she felt that she is might be  prying. Additionally, it is not the right place to talk about that matter. The last thing that Amber wanted to do is to make Jessica uncomfortable. Amber peeked over to her watch and saw that its already lunch time.

"Do you wanna go somewhere?"

Jessica quickly glanced up with Amber's offer and Amber can tell that she looked so surprised. Amber laughed gently and she found Jessica's shocked and somewhat astonish- face amusing.

Jessica tucked a hair behind her ear and she is trying to avoid Amber's stares. It is making her shy as usual. "Y-you wanna go somewhere with, m-me?" Jessica stutters and had finally glanced over at Amber.

Amber grinned at the blonde, nodding. "Sure, why not. We are both free today anyway. Aren't we?" Amber paused briefly then realized something that she haven't asked Jessica if she is indeed free for today. " Oh sorry, I didn't ask. Are you available to have lunch with me?"

Jessica was still taken aback and was unsure on how to react. She did not expect that she will be invited by Amber especially with what happened before but she would also love to eat something with Amber. The latter then notice that Jessica was just staring at her without saying anything, but Jessica's eyes were so gentle and soft and Amber felt like Jessica wanted to say something again.

"Jessica?" Amber said in a soft tone hoping that the blonde will answer her question.

Jessica blinked twice and Amber noticed again the blush that is slowly showing on her cheeks. "Uhm, I am sorry. Yes, I am free!" Jessica smiled. The smile which Amber can describe ---one of the softest and genuine smiles she ever saw which made Amber do the same as well. She thought, that Jessica's smile is so contagious.

"Great! Let's go then!" Amber announced.

Then, the two of them got out of the building and started to walk together to a restaurant. Once inside, they sat down in the booth. Both of them ordered a couple of plates of food which the waiter brought quickly and left the table almost immediately. Jessica glanced around the restaurant before taking a sip of her drink. There were not many people inside and it wasn't noisy either. Amber on the other hand, is busy scanning the menu even though both were finished ordering their food. She thought that it might be good as well to order a take out since the restaurant had an ongoing promotion. She took a mental note about it.
"Thank you so much, Amber." Jessica says in a voice laced with genuine sincerity. "I know that it is not your responsibility but what happened the other night... Thank you."
Amber just smiled and did not respond or should she say did not know how to respond to what Jessica said. However, she knows exactly why Jessica was thanking her but does not dare to say anything, not until Jessica asks her something else or initiating to talk about it more.
"H-How are you?" Jessica, suddenly sheepishly asked.

There was just a brief pause before Amber answered the question, "I am okay. I am doing okay actually. Thank you for asking."

"That is good to hear!"

"Yeah and thank you too for accepting my invitation, Jessica. "

Jessica smiles then she tucked some strand of hair behind her ear, "I should be the one thank you for inviting me for lunch. I really do appreciate it." She said sincerely.

"You know what, I have been noticing that you are saying, "Thank you" too often since we have met three days ago." Amber says with a laugh. Jessica blushed but chuckled and nodded in agreement with Amber's statement.

Amber couldn't believe how many times Jessica had thanked her on that day. Amber didn't feel weirded out, she just thought that Jessica is really nice and a sweet woman. Amber then landed her eyes on Jessica's bruises again. Its almost healed, cause its staring to fade away. But somehow, she felt a little bit twich in her heart when she remembers what happened to Jessica at the club the other day.

"Amber are you okay?"

Amber heard Jessica ask, snapping Amber out of her thoughts. She looked up at her  and nodded with a smile. She did not even realize that she's been staring at Jessica's bruises particularly at the side pf her lip.

"Yeah! Sorry for spacing out." She replied before looking down on the floor again. Amber felt shy after that.

Then Amber felt that someones coming towards their table --- its the server. "Hi, do you want some desserts?" He asked, giving them a smile.

Jessica and Amber looked at each other before turning back to the waiter. "I'll have a strawberry cake slice please. How about you, Jessica? " Amber said.

"I guess, I will order the same."

Amber looked back at Jessica who already looked at her and they both gave a small smile. The server just nodded and wrote down their orders.  When he turned around, Amber was thinking if she should say something but instead decided to wait until the server came back.
Jessica took one glance at Amber before she turned her head back to the menu.
---
When the server finally came back, Amber immediately put her phone back inside her coat pocket. He set down two plates of strawberries. Then he went behind the counter to prepare their drinks.

"Thank you." Jessica said, gently smiling over to the waiter

"You are welcome."

Then silence. They had eaten their dessert without the two of them speaking up. Amber also did not know why she could not come up with another topic to talk something with Jessica, but she felt that the silence sorrounding around them is not awkward, it was a peaceful kind of way which Amber can describe.

After the two are done with dessert, Amber asked for the bill. They had like a little "argument" as Amber is insisting to pay for all of it since she was the one invited Jessica over. Wherein, Jessica is trying to give her money to Amber which the latter is strongly declining. Amber emphasized that, it's her treat for this lunch and next time, Jessica will be the one treating Amber for dinner. Jessica did not say anything and Amber saw her blushing again. It didn't really bother her though because Jessica has such an adorable blush on her face and she wants to see more of it.

After Amber paid the bill, the two walk out of the restaurant together. Amber then noticed that Jessica is not saying anything and hanging her head low again. Amber has realized that Jessica might have some confidence issues.

She decides to ask "Hey, Jessica. Are you okay?”

Jessica looks up and gives a small smile to her . She tucked a hair under her ear  “Oh, nothing really. Thank you for the lunch. I really enjoyed it."

Amber smiles in return and pats her shoulder “Anytime, Jessica. If there's ever something bothering you, please don't hesitate to come to me.”

Jessica gives her another small smile. There there it is again. Amber noticed again the look in Jessica's eyes.  They were so full of sadness and longing. It was always this way after the incident the other day at the club. Amber felt like Jessica wanted to ask but had held back for some reason. Amber just felt there is no need to ask cause she felt that Jessica won't open up to her. "Can I have your phone?" Amber asked, breaking the silence.

Jessica gave her a confused look, but gave the phone anyways. Amber then typed something on Jessica's phone and returned it back to her after she is done with it. "I have saved my phone number. If you need someone to talk to, you can text me. Okay?"

Jessica slowly nodded, blushing again.

"I needed to get back to the office, I am so sorry if I am unable to send you home." Amber added after checking her watch. Its 1 PM and she needed to go back as she still need to finish some tasks for today.

"It's okay, no problem." Jessica replied before waving goodbye to Amber. She waited till Amber left before walking out herself, not being able to control her blush.

 

                                       Fin of Chap 8