Wrong Name

An Angel's Agony

During lunch, Namjoo struggled to find Ilhoon. She checked the library, the back of the school, and then the student council's room. She even checked with the teacher, hoping that they had caught sight of him or had talked to him earlier.

"Uh, yeah. Ilhoon," one of the teachers had said with a confusing frown. "Yeah, um... Ilhoon... Yeah, never saw him. Sorry."

From the tone of the teacher's voice, Namjoo could tell that he did not know who Ilhoon was. However, she couldn't really blame him. It would be hard remembering the names and the faces of hundreds and hundreds of students. Namjoo blew a raspberry. She put her hands on her hips, and stared at the endless track field.

"Where in the world is he?" she wondered. She looked up at the clear, blue sky, hoping for some sign for his whereabouts. Her eyes caught the sight of a few kids on the roof. Although the roof was properly fenced, she spotted a small hole where if students were clumsy enough, they could fall off the building. Her heart raced when she saw the familiar golden brown hair being shoved against the wired fence. Her heart race in fear, and she quickly ran straight into the building. She found her ways through the hallway, and found the stairs that would lead her to the roof. She climbed up the stairs, bumping into some seniors who shot her a dirty look.

"Ilhoon!" Namjoo screamed, opening the final door that would lead her to the roof. As she had expected, Ilhoon was being pushed around. However, Kai was not with him. It was only Kai's so-called "friends." They turned around, then smirked at her.

"Oh, look who we have here!" Sehun exclaimed, walking towards her. He grabbed a strand of her hair. "It's Ilhoon's 'prince-charming.'"

Namjoo's cheeks turned red in embarrassment. "W-What are you planning to do to him?"

"Nothing much, except for making Kai get a D for his homework," Sehun said, rolling his eyes. "Seriously, today just had to be the day where the teacher graded our homework. Jeez."

"That's not Ilhoon's fault!" Namjoo retorted. "If Kai had done is homework, maybe he would've gotten an A!"

"Whatever. Anyways, we're just doing what we're told to do." Sehun narrowed his eyes and leaned closer to Namjoo's face. "If a word about this slips out, consider yourself dead the next twenty-fours hours."

"Why hide? Are you scared over a teacher who has the power to suspend you or something?" Namjoo snapped. Sehun shook his head, and snapped his fingers to his friends. Suddenly, they began to kick and punch their fist against Ilhoon's entire body. Ilhoon collapsed on his ground, unable to support his weight. Namjoo was going to scream, but she just stared. Her legs wouldn't move, but her eyes were glued on the poor victim.

Sehun smirked. "Seems like you can't do anything about this. Go ahead, just watch."

She gave him a horrified look. "Just watch? Are you insane? I... I need to help him!"

Deep inside her heart, Namjoo knew that she had to jump in and take the hit. However, her lips began to tremble and fear consumed her mind. One of the boys who was kicking Ilhoon was wearing cleats, which caused him to bleed. Namjoo continued to wait and stare at her friend. Wait. Was it okay to call Ilhoon her friend, even though she was just watching him? Finally, after Ilhoon began to cough up blood, Namjoo pushed Sehun away from her and stormed towards them. She tapped on the shoulders of a blonde, who she remembered that he was called JB.

The boy turned around, irritated. "What do you want, woma--"

Before he was able to finish his sentence, Namjoo made a fist and threw a punch at him. JB stumbled backwards, but managed to grab Namjoo's sleeves. He fell over Ilhoon, and knocked himself against the fence. However, Namjoo, who was being pushed down, had slipped and began to fall in the hole that led her to the ground. Her eyes widened as JB lost his grip, causing her to slip through the hole.

Is this how my life is going to end? she wondered. Too scared to scream, she caught her breath and closed her eyes.

"Krystal!" someone screamed. Namjoo shut her eyes even tighter, too scared to hear another sound before her life ended. However, in a few seconds, she felt herself swinging in the air. After a while she slowly opened her eyes and turned to the sky. It took her a moment to realize that the person who had saved her life was not Ilhoon or Kai's buddies, but Kai himself. 

"Grab on tighter!" Kai screamed at her. "Do you want to die?"

Shaking her head, Namjoo used her other free hand and grabbed onto Kai's wrist. He pulled her up, successfully through the small loop hole. Once she landed back on the roof properly, Kai grabbed a wooden block of wood and placed it over the hole so that no one else could fall through. Namjoo wanted to get up and scold Kai, but her entire body trembled in fear. However, it wasn't just her body that was shaking. Although she could only see Kai's back, he was slightly trembling as if he had seen a horror movie. Carefully, he turned around and stared at Namjoo with cold eyes.

"Are... Are you kidding me?" Kai asked her. He faked a laugh. "Are you freaking kidding me?"

Namjoo rubbed her cold hands. "I... I..."

"You almost killed yourself!" Kai yelled, grabbing her shoulders. "Do you think people can just jump off a roof and live a happily ever after? What in the world are you thinking? Why would you mess around ontop of the roof? Are you an idiot? Seriously, Krystal! Do you want to die again?"

Silence filled the atmosphere. Kai was panting heavily. His nails began to dig into Namjoo's shoulder, making her scrunch her face in an unpleasant way. Nevertheless, she gently put her hands on his.

"Kai... I'm Namjoo, not this Krystal girl," Namjoo spoke quietly. Kai looked up at her. He blinked his eyes for a few moments, then chuckled bitterly. He dropped his hands to the side and stood up. Although most didn't notice, Ilhoon and Namjoo realized how Kai's knees were buckling. Kai glared at Sehun weakly.

"You. At the student council room. Now." All of Sehun's friends backed away from him. Sehun widened his eyes, then gulped nervously. He nodded his head, and followed Kai down the stairs. After five minutes of waiting for nothing, the rest of the boys left and went downstairs. Namjoo slowly eyed on the half-conscious boy.

"Ilhoon. You heard that name, right? 'Krystal?'" she asked.

He slightly rolled his eyes backwards as he began to breath heavily with his mouth. "So... what?"

Although she had almost died, Namjoo managed to give him a pathetic smile. "Ilhoon, we definitely have to go to the hospital today and from now on."

Ilhoon ignored her and put his arm over his black eye. "Mhm. Yeah, whatever."

 

After school, Kai was alone in the student council room. He was done with all his paperworks and there wasn't any work left for him or for the other members to do. Earlier, he had threatened Sehun to transfer schools in three days. He didn't want to see Sehun's face at all anymore. 

What was that idiot thinking? he wondered, opening the curtains a bit. His eyes caught sight of Namjoo and Ilhoon walking out of school together. He smirked when he saw all the bandages on Ilhoon's face and body. Namjoo, too, had a white bandaging tape around her fist. He sighed, then stared at her with slightly wet eyes.

Krystal is gone, idiot, he told himself. There's no way that she's coming back to life. I can't believe you had mistaken that loser for Krystal! Krystal was so much better than that loser.

"Damn it, Kai!" he muttered. He put the palm of his hand on his forehead as he stared at Namjoo with longing eyes. "Why did you have to push Krystal back then?"

Because Krystal would be in a happier place than this revolting school, Kai answered himself, chuckling oddly. His eyes suddenly turned dark as he took out an old yearbook from the past. He flipped the page to the graduates, where a picture of a sporty boy and another picture of a popular student were in the same photo.

"If only these two didn't get in the way of Krystal's life, she could've been happy," Kai mumbled, tapping his hands. "I wish I'd taught you a lesson before you two left to college, Minho and L."