Last Warning

An Angel's Agony

Namjoo served Suzy a bowl of soup on a tray. Suzy stared at the soup with a zombie-like expression. Namjoo ignored her facial expression and walked over to another table to grab her banquet. She placed the banquet in a clear vase that rested nearby her pale friend. When she looked up, Suzy was playing with her food by stirring her spoon in the soup. Namjoo sighed gently and took a seat next to Suzy.

"I heard what happened to you," Namjoo said. "I heard that you dropped out of school, got disowned by your parents, and have panic attacks occasionally whenever you step outside."

Suzy scoffed. "So what? What does that change?"

"Well... I also heard that something happened at school and drove you out of there. Can you tell me what happened? The doctor refuses to let me know about your conditions and your personal problems," Namjoo said gently. Suzy looked away. "Come on, Suzy. We're friends, right?"

Suzy's face darkened, yet her hands began to shake. "Friends... What's the definition of friends?"

Namjoo tilted her head and leaned forward to see Suzy's expression more clearly. "Suzy, are you okay...?"

"F-Fine! Fine, fine! Even better! Fine!" she exclaimed. By now, not only was she pale and shivering, but her breath had become shorter. Namjoo, fearing that something was wrong with her friend, stood up her seat and reached to press the nurse call button. However, Suzy stopped her by grabbing Namjoo's arm. "I-It's fine... I'm fine..."

"No, you're not okay, Suzy!" Namjoo exclaimed. "Look, let me call the nurse. I'm sure that she--"

"She won't give me the medicine!" Suzy shouted. "She knows that I've been stealing some!"

Namjoo froze. "W-What do you mean?"

Suzy bit her bottom lip. "I... We've tried everything. Medicines, therapy, and even counseling sessions. I'm... I'm a hopeless girl..."

"So do you just suffer while you have these attacks?" Namjoo asked her.

"No... No, I don't. I only suffer them when I think about..." Suzy felt her heart beat against her chest even harder. "...s-school..."

Namjoo raised an eyebrow. "School?" She looked down at her uniform, then gasped. "Ah... You went to this school, right?"

Suzy eyed at Namjoo and examined the familiar uniform and the badge. In a few minutes, she began to scream. Namjoo, startled, widened her eyes and fell on her bottom. She stared at Suzy in shock, wondering why she began to scream.

"I didn't do it!" Suzy yelled, grabbing a handful of her dry hair. Before Suzy could do anything irrational, Namjoo grabbed the remote and frantically pressed all the buttons for the nurse. She didn't care which button she was pressing; she just needed some help.

In less than a second, a nurse appeared at the door. Shocked over at the crying patient, the nurse reached over and forced Suzy down the bed. Namjoo tried to cover her ears, but the sound of her friend's scream sparked interest. 

"I didn't do it! I never killed her! It wasn't my fault!" Suzy cried, trying to pull away. "Let me go! I have to ask her! She has all the answers!"

"She's dead, okay?" the nurse informed her. "She's dead, so she can't speak! Suzy, sit back down!"

Deafened by the nurse's words, Suzy stood up and kicked the tray of soup away from her. The hot food flew down to the ground, making a mess on the floor. Namjoo pressed the buttons again, calling for two more nurses. When the two other nurses appeared, they helped the first nurse calm Suzy down.

After a while, Suzy had finally calmed down and slowly sat back on her bed. Even though she seemed calm, everyone could tell that she was still afraid from the way she was shaking. The third nurse pulled Namjoo outside, closing the door behind them.

"I'm sorry," the nurse apologized. "You will have to see her next week."

Namjoo frowned. "What happened to tomorrow?"

"From her current state, it takes at least a few days to get her calm and composed. Please visit her next week," the nurse pleaded. She went back inside the room, leaving Namjoo hanging in the corridor. Finally, she cleared and walked towards the elevator.

Something was wrong.

The way Suzy reacted wildly to her uniform made Namjoo wonder what was so bad about her current school. When she remembered the stranger she met earlier in the elavator, he also had a bitter expression. Namjoo her lips slowly. There was no way that she would wait a week and ask Suzy about their school.

She was going to find out who the elevator man was and get answers from him.

 

The next morning, Namjoo came to school early. She was going to call Ilhoon, but found out that she didn't have his number. She made sure to make a mental note that would remind her to get his phone number. When she came to school, she realized how awkwardly quiet it was. Frowning, she decided to look around the campus incase that Kai was going around, bullying kids.

As she had suspected, Kai was with Ilhoon. The thing was, Kai wasn't beating him up. Instead, Ilhoon was handing Kai a large stack of white paper, completely filled out with pencil and pen.

"A-And the bottom portion of the stack is your math homework," Ilhoon informed him.

Kai nodded his head. "Good job. You didn't throw away your future. You must really desire to be alive."

Ilhoon grimaced. "I-It's not much..."

"Oh really? Wow, you must have a lot of free time!" Kai exclaimed. "Then why don't you do my language essay, too? I mean, if doing all this isn't much, you might as well take over my job as the student council president!" Kai laughed, but when Ilhoon laughed, he changed his facial expression. "It's. Not. Funny."

Ilhoon pressed his lips together. "I-I'm sorry..."

I should step up, Namjoo thought. Right when she took a step forward, a hand grabbed her arm. She was about to scream, but the other hand covered . She was pulled to another building of the school. After approaching an old shack, the hands parted away from Namjoo. Namjoo whirled around, ready to scream at the person who had dragged her out. However, she stopped herself the moment when she realized that the person who had kidnapped her was a girl.

"Who... Who are you?" Namjoo asked.

"Call me Sulli," the woman greeted herself. "Haven't you learned not to mess with Ilhoon and Kai, yet?"

Namjoo frowned. Is she on Kai's hit-list? "I'm sorry, but haven't you learned that you should step up for Ilhoon and stomp over Kai, yet?"

Sulli grabbed her arms. "Look, you don't understand what kind of person Kai is." She suddenly paused for a brief moment. "Hey, do I know you?"

"I'm the new student," Namjoo answered. "Anyways, I'm perfectly aware of what kind of person Kai is. Now, if you'll let me go, I need to go and save Ilhoon from--"

"Wait a minute," Sulli said, "I think I know you. Have you, perhaps, attended a nearby school when you were in... well, let's say, kindergarten?"

Namjoo nodded her head. "Yes. I was here since kindergarden, but left early. Then I attended the same school with Kai, but then he left, and I came to this school to be with him. Why?"

Sulli shaped into a circle. "Oh... Oh, I see. No wonder he despises you." Sulli her lips. "You're a threat."

Namjoo frowned, then tilted her head. "What?"

"You're a threat," she repeated. "That's even worse. Listen, if you don't want to end up like this one girl, stay away from him."

"Wait, something happened to someone?" Namjoo asked. She quickly reached into her pocket. "T-Then you must know about this girl! This girl named 'Jung Krystal!'"

Sulli stiffened. "...What did you say?"

"Jung Krystal. Have any idea who she is?" Namjoo questioned her. Sulli gulped. She nodded her head and looked around her, making sure that no one else was listening.

"Krystal... Back in kindergarten, she was a tough little cookie. Never doubted herself. She stood up to people--to bullies, like Kai," Sulli described, chewing on her bottom lip. Namjoo kept quiet. The personality Sulli described sounded awfully familiar.

Krystal... Bullies... Kindergarten... Namjoo widened her eyes. "Oh my gosh. It can't... She couldn't be that Krystal, could she...?"

"Anyways, two years ago, she committed suicide," Sulli said. She slowly shook her head. "But I don't get it. Krystal wouldn't do such a thing. How could she just give up on life...?"

Namjoo slipped out of Sulli's grasp. "I... I got to go. I need to talk to Ilhoon--"

"What? You're still going?" Sulli asked. "You know, I'm the last person to warn you about Kai. After me, if you leave to save Ilhoon, you're all alone."

"No, no I'm not," Namjoo said. She gave Sulli a soft smile. "Thanks for the advice, but I'm never alone. After all, Ilhoon is there, too."

Sulli dropped her arms to the side. Namjoo slightly dusted herself, then took a step back. Sulli began to chuckle to herself. She shook her head, then stepped back just like how Namjoo did: quickly and skillfully.

"I see, I see. Okay, then. I wish you good luck, transfer student," Sulli said. "Oh, and knock some sense into Kai for me, okay?"

Namjoo shrugged her shoulders. "I'll see what I can do!"