Their Encounter

An Angel's Agony

"So... Namjoo, what school did you go before coming here?" Naeun asked her, putting some food on her tray. Namjoo stared at the rows of food, and almost drooled over her tray. She snapped out of her thought when Naeun started waving her hand in front of her face. 

"Oh, what? Sorry, I wasn't listening," Namjoo apologized.

Naeun grunted. "I asked you where you went before you came here."

"I went to an all-girl's private school. It's so boring, and all the girls are so weak compared to the girls here. I actually like a little challenge! If you ask a few of my old friends, they'll definitely tell you that I'm the one who will take action when there is injustice," Namjoo boasted, pumping her fist high in the air. Naeun kept quiet, then began to laugh out loud. She continued to laugh until they got to a table, where a shy, brown-haired girl was waiting for her friend.

"Sohyun! Can you believe this second year? She's hilarious! Come on, Namjoo. Tell her exactly what you told me," Naeun said, elbowing Namjoo's rib. Namjoo scowled, and watched the older girl take a seat and eat her food.

"All I said was that I'm always prepared to help people when they're in trouble..."

This time, water snorted out of Sohyun's nose. Sohyun also bursted into laughter, unable to contain the funny "joke" Namjoo was saying. Namjoo only stared at the two hyenas with disbelief. Were they this mean, or were they just fooling around?

Sohyun chuckled softly and patted Namjoo's back. "Girl, you're out of your mind. You think you're super hero or something? Look, think about it: Why are there so many devilish acts around the world?"

"Because that's life--"

"No, it's because we're humans, not super heroes. We think we're heroes, but that's obviously not the case," Sohyun explained. "I mean, if you really thought you could save someone, you would've been here years ago."

"Two years, to be exact," Naeun said, raising up her index finger and her middle finger.

"Two years ago, my crush left to come to this school. I attended the morning assembly, but I was dragged out later since a teacher asked me to help me carry a few stuff to the school's office. I heard that a guy named Kai was the student council president. Am I right? Is his real name Kim Jongin?" Namjoo inquired them. Hearing the name, Naeun paled and dropped her chopsticks. The metal utensils clanged against the floor, causing a few students to shoot daggers behind her back for disrupting their lunch time. Sohyun bit her bottom lip, and grabbed onto Naeun's shoulder.

"Naeun, you need to calm down--"

"I-I killed her," whispered the frightened girl. "I-If... If I didn't help S-Suzy..."

"Oh! Suzy? You guys know Suzy? Bae Suzy? That's great! If you can, can you tell me her address? I want to surprise my old childhood friend," Namjoo pleaded.

Sohyun glared at Namjoo. "Stop it or--"

"S-Suzy... K-Krystal... K-Kai... M-Minho... L-L oppa..." Tears began to blur Naeun's vision. "T-They... It's not my fault! They were also part of it! I didn't mean to kill her! I just didn't like Krystal! Why did I have to be associated with her, Sohyun? Huh? Why? Why couldn't... I bet you that she's writing down a list of people she wants to curse and is giving them to the devil! Yeah, that's right! The d--"

"Snap out of it or you'll get caught!" Sohyun shouted, but quiet enough for the rest not to hear. She slapped Naeun's cheeks, which seemed to have helped Naeun return to her normal sense. She took deep, heavy breaths, then began to tremble in her friend's arm. Sohyun sighed, and glanced at Namjoo. 

"You... You don't know anything, do you?" Sohyun asked.

"Should I? I just moved here last week," Namjoo said. 

"Alright, I'll make everything brief. But after this, we're done. We never met, and we never talked to each other," Sohyun replied. Namjoo tilted her head in confusion, unable to understand why she had to cut off all connections with Sohyun and Naeun. Nevertheless, Namjoo nodded her head and prepared herself for whatever Sohyun had to tell her. Sohyun took a deep breath, then rubbed her forehead with the palm of her hands.

"Kai is the student council president, and his real name is Kim Jongin. Suzy still lives at the same house, except after an incident that happened two years ago, she's stuck at the hospital and is recovering from trauma. I don't know which hospital, but I've heard that she's gone bonkers."

"That's what she gets for making us be part of her evil schemes!" Naeun added.

"A-And Krystal?" Namjoo asked, her voice getting faint. Was this all true? Was she really getting closer to Kai, and was Suzy really stuck at the hospital to recover some kind of traumatic event? "T-Then what happened K-Krystal?"

Naeun flinched, and Sohyun grimaced. 

"Krystal... She died two years ago."

Namjoo froze. "...H-How?"

"...She committed suicide."

 

"...She committed suicide."

Kai stopped eating his lunch and looked up. Although his friends were chatting loudly, he could hear those three words behind his back. He turned his head around to find out who had said such a thing. Instead, he found the table behind him empty. He scanned around the cafeteria, searching for the who the voice belonged to. 

"Are you okay, Kai? You look like you came from out of space," one of his friend, Donghae, said.

Kai forced a smile, then shook his head. "It's nothing. I thought I heard something weird."

"Something weird? Like what?" the same friend asked.

"Just... crazy." The boy bit his bottom lip. "Really crazy..."

"I haven't heard anything crazy for such a long time." Dongho chuckled. "Especially ever since that incident with Kry..."

The room froze. Dongho widened his eyes until his perfect pupils almost seemed to pop out. He slowly looked over to Kai, who gave him a murderous look. The way he hung his head low enough to surppress his dark aurora and how he smiled caused goose bumps to scatter on Dongho's arm. Dongho bit his bottom lip, then bent his head low.

"I-I mean... You know, the one with the crystal salts--"

"Idiot! Beg!" another of Kai's friend, Sehun, commanded.

Like a dog, Dongho obeyed and dropped to his knees. He bent so low, it seemed as if he was a servant begging for mercy. The room tensed even more when Dongho dropped his chopsticks to the ground. As the utensils clattered ont he floor, Dongho flinched when Kai stomped his foot in front of Dongho's face.

"I sincerely apologize for my irrational behavior! Please, please do not kick me out of this school! I worked hard and even got a scholarship to enter here!" Dongho pleaded. 

Kai clicked his tongue, chuckled, and stared down at Dongho like a tyrant with blood-thirsty eyes. "Finish what you were going to say, then I'll judge what happens to you."

Dongho looked up at Kai, but bowed back down when Kai glared. "I... I forgot--"

"Are you sure?" Kai asked.

"I-I mean... Oh! I was going to say, 'Especially ever since that incident with crystal salt flying down from the sky.' Did you see it? And everyone thought that it was salt since it tasted funny, but it was just snow!"

The room went quiet. The frightened boy told a lie. Kai paused, then smirked. He glanced around the room, then stopped his eyes when they landed on the dirty boy hiding at the corner of the cafeteria. 

"You! The Idiot! Come over here," Kai ordered.

Ilhoon looked up, then searched for a teacher or a staff member in the room. It only took him a few seconds to find out that all the staff members were dragged out of the cafeteria by Kai's so-called "minions." Ilhoon gulped, then slowly approached Kai.

"Y-You called?" Ilhoon stuttered. Before he knew it, Kai swung his fist and made sure that it landed against Ilhoon's stomach. The direct hit caused Ilhoon to scream in pain, and he collapsed on the floor right besides Dongho. Dongho widened his eyes, then stared at Kai with a panic.

"Are you that low?" Kai questioned him loudly. "Are you that low to lie to me? Are you low enough to steal 'The Idiot' title from this thing? Do you want to die?"

Dongho began to whimper. "V-Violence is never the answer to anything--"

"Oh, I don't use violence," Kai whispered. He bent down, and pulled on Dongho's ear. He waited patiently until the ears grew bright red. "Hey. Who do you think I am?"

"Kim Jongin, sir!" Dongho announced.

"That's right. But what do I go by?"

"Kai, sir!"

"That's correct. See? You're not a dummy!" Kai released his grip, and Dongho scrambled on his knee. Right when Dongho thought that he saved himself, he felt his heart sink when Kai began to laugh with delight. "Since I'm nice, I'll tell you something. If you don't want to be an outcast, I suggest you move in less than a week."

"L-Less than a week? It's going to take me at least two weeks to convince my parents to sign the papers and everything!" Dongho said.

"Even better!" Kai cheered. "I'm sure you'll have plenty of fun moving and all."

"But Kai! I thought you were my friend!" Dongho protested.

Kai gave him a blank look. "Friend? I thought friends were destined to die later! Why have a friend when they're going to die?"

"Hey." It wasn't so hard to trace back to where the voice came from. Near the end of the room, Namjoo stood on a table with her head held high. She frowned at Kai, then jumped down from the table. She walked up to them, but even so, her hands were still shaking. When she crept closer, Namjoo noticed Ilhoon, and remembered that he was the boy she saw earlier this morning.

Kai scoffed. "Tch. What's your name?"

"Kim Namjoo, a second year who transferred here," Namjoo said, introducing herself loudly and clearly. "Just give him two weeks to transfer."

"A transfer student," Kai repeated. "Didn't anyone tell her the rules?"

"Listen, I don't care about rules or anything, but what you're doing is wrong. Who do you think you are? A king? Zeus? Godzilla? A gorilla? I was just told to leave the scene and stall some time with a teacher. I did that, but then she already left and--"

"You did what?" Sehun yelled. "Which teacher?"

Namjoo scrunched her nose. "How the heck am I supposed to know? She was just a random teacher--"

"She's definitely a block-head," Kai muttered. He glared at Dongho and Ilhoon. "You two are dismissed. Get the papers in less than a week, Dongho. The Idiot, because I'm a nice guy, I'll tell you something. I would advise you to skip school today. If you don't..." Kai laughed quietly. "Well, just be careful not to let stones hit your head." He turned to Namjoo, then approached her with careful steps. "And you... have 'fun' at school."

Namjoo shivered, and watched Kai walk away with his friends. "What in the world is his problem?"

"D-Don't get yourself involved anymore," Ilhoon warned her, biting his bottom lip in guilt. "Don't step into someone else's problems."

"Why? Seriously, who is he? Someone has to report him!"

"A-All reports go to the s-student council members."

"And no one filed a complaint?"

"I-It's impossible..."

"Why not?"

"B-Because... Any problems goes to Kai, our student council president."

"I know who Kai is. I heard it from a few... people," Namjoo said, remebering how she could not call Naeun and Sohyun as her friends. "But who is he? The guy who walked out?"

"T-That's... That's the student council president, Kai," Ilhoon answered. Namjoo stared at Ilhoon with disbelief marked all over her face.

... No way.