Counting Down

An Angel's Agony

"What in the world happened...?"

When Jessica and the rest arrived at the school and appeared in front of the nurse's office, they spotted several kids wounded and on the bed. Some were on the floor, crying out in pain while others rested themselves against the wall. The brunette looked up at the nurse, who was finally glad to see them.

"Oh my gosh," G.NA cried out, pulling Jessica into a warm embrace. "I thought that you were never going to come!"

"G.NA, what's going on?" Jessica asked.

"I have no idea, but I need to go to a staff meeting right now. It's am emergency meeting, and I don't think that I can leave these kids alone. I already told them that I called in a substitute. You can handle this, right?" G.NA asked.

"Of course I can. I just need to know where the ointments and medications are, though," Jessica said, looking around the small room. G.NA smiled and pointed to a familiar man sitting near a bed. Suzy widened her eyes, recognizing the pale boy.

"He's Ilhoon, right?" Suzy asked.

"Yes, yes! Oh, I'm glad you know him. Anyway, he knows where everything is around here. He comes here quite often. He'll be helping you treat the kids. Make sure that when they're okay to attend class, you give them a nurse's note," G.NA said, pointing at a stack of note on the desk. Jessica nodded her head, then bid her friend a good-bye as the nurse left the room. Jessica stared at the injured kids, then heaved a sigh. She rolled up her sleeves and walked towards Ilhoon, who was staring at Namjoo's miserable state. When he sensed footsteps coming closer, he looked up and suddenly bowed to Jessica.

"Hello," he greeted them softly, looking back at the other three.

"Do you know where the medical tapes are?" Jessica asked.

"Over there, in the second counter," Ilhoon said. "Bandages and ointments are in there, too. If you want to look for wound cleaners and alcohol, the nurse puts them in the counter to your left."

Suzy looked over Jessica's shoulder, then gasped when she saw Namjoo resting on the bed. She was covered in a red, smiley object. A rotten odor reeked from her short hair. What worried Suzy the most, however, were the scarlet scars on her face and arms, and the purple bump on her forehead.

"What happened to Namjoo?" she asked, panicking.

"Humiliation Day," Ilhoon responded, patting Namjoo's cold hand. "She was chosen for the severe punishment."

"Humiliation Day? What in the world is that? Does the school allow you to do this?" Minho asked, getting angry.

"It's a tradition that started two years ago. A few of the worse kids in school gets chosen to be humiliated in front of the class. The worse you are, the worse the punishment gets. It's allowed because the teachers aren't there to supervise, and the principal doesn't know about this. This is secretly held by the student council's president. He is in charge of this event," Ilhoon explained.

"Disgusting," Minho muttered, crossing his arms. "Just disgusting."

"So they do this to people? What do the other students do? Stand and watch?" L asked.

"They help out with the event. Sometimes they get to throw rocks, and other time it's food. Most of the time, they're in charge of distracting the teachers and making the event look like some kind of fun prep-rally."

"This isn't even school anymore! This is a world full of punishment and pain!" Suzy claimed.

Ilhoon shot them a cold look. "Well, what are you going to do? You can't do much."

"We can do whatever we want," L fired back.

"Says who? If you could do whatever you want, then why aren't you pressing charges against Kai? Why aren't you fighting back? Two of your cower at different college campus, and one of you lurks in the hospital. You guys don't have the rights to say anything about freedom."

"So? You're not fighting back, either."

Ilhoon paused, then let out a chuckle. He stared at Namjoo, then glanced at the boys. Then, he stared down at Suzy, who only shivered in fear and avoided eye-contact.

"Yep. I wasn't fighting, but..." He looked back at Namjoo one last time. "...Well, I guess you can say that I'm taking a stand. If Namjoo's trying her best, I should be able to fight, too."

Ilhoon left the group and crept towards Jessica, directing her to the wounded students and informing her where the tools she wanted where at. Suzy gave him a long look, then shivered. She stepped back closer to the window, where the sunlight failed to give warmth. She grabbed ahold of L's wrist, who was surprised by the sudden touch. He looked back, and Minho stared at her after seeing L's head turn.

"That boy," she whispered, "is pretty scary."

"Really?" L asked, blinking his eyes. "He doesn't seem scary to me. He seems pretty weak."

"No... There's something fishy about him now," Minho muttered in agreement. "We should keep a close eye on him whenever we have the chance to."

 

"Gah!"

Cling!

"Run, you idiot!"

Smash!

"G-Get away from m-me!"

An iron bar swung back and forth, the sound of wind being cut by the deadly weapon. Like a clock, the bar went side by side, occasionally hitting the brick wall next to the dangerous man. A threatening, yet beautiful chime echoed in the dark alley, where three men fell to the ground, soaked in a glossy shade of scarlet blood.

One more... The man who was responsible this his lips, which throbbed in pain. Just one more guy! Just for tonight!

"S-Stop it!" the poor boy shouted. "I-I'm so sorry for messing with you! You're right, I shouldn't have played with your backpack, nor should I have hung out with those three guys. I never should've kicked you or hurt you, and I never should've dumped soda on you. I p-promise that I won't tell anyone about this, so please don't... kill... me..."

Weak. The blond boy stared at him with dead eyes. Why did I ever let these guys mess up with me?

"If I was only more stronger," he whispered, "Namjoo would've never went through such a tragic event..."

The boy on the ground whimpered. "C-Come on, Ilhoon! We're b-buddies, right? Buddies!" No response. "Come on, Ilhoon... You're not like this. You're not... corrupted."

The pure, dead eyes came back to life with anger flowing through his blood. Ilhoon made a fist, then raised the iron bar high up in the air.

"Corrupted? Me? Corrupted? You think that I'm corrupted? Ha... Ha! Ha, ha, ha!" Ilhoon let out a wild chuckle. Then, his laugh faded away and his smile was replaced with a frown. "I'm not corrupted. I'm just doing justice. It's you who's corrupted, your friends who're corrupted, and that tyrant Kai who's corrupted."

"F-Fine, but let me ask you something." The boy took a deep breath. "Were you the one who k-killed Niel and J-Jiyoung?"

"Yes."

The boy was rather surprised to hear a direct and clear response. Though before he had the chance to say anymore. the cold, hard object slammed against his head. Ilhoon continuously smashed the bar against the injured boy, who soon fell into an endless abyss of darkness. After confirming that the boy wasn't breathing, Ilhoon dragged the three bodies into the same dumpster where he hid Niel's and Jiyoung's body. He wiped his lips with the back of his hand, slightly the red blood with his dry tongue. Cold sweat covered his forehead as adrelanine ran throughout his entire body.

"Three... That's a total of five people who're eliminated," Ilhoon counted, dumping the iron bar into the dumpster. He looked up at the star, then ran his fingers through his hair. "Is this even right...?"

Yes, he answered himself. This is karma for them. This is what they deserve. This is for Namjoo. If she's going to take a stand, I should at least get rid of the high number of enemies she's facing.

With that thought, Ilhoon smiled to himself and walked away, counting down the stars, the time, and the enemies.