Time To Fear

An Angel's Agony

Ilhoon and Namjoo found themselves at the nurse office, staring at the piece of paper Namjoo had retrieved earlier in the student council's room. She tapped her fingers against the table, and pressed her lips. Ilhoon sat next to her awkwardly, wondering what she was doing. When he heard her sigh, he slightly jumped out of his seat, pushing his chair back. Namjoo looked behind her, and creased her eyebrow.

"I brought it, and I don't even know why. Should I just trash it or return it?" she asked.

"Trash it. It's probably going to be something idiotic." He paused. "Go on. Trash it. Should I do it? Actually, let's burn it."

"But I want to see what's in it!" she exclaimed.

"Then I'll bury it. You can search the entire school after I dig it up if you're still curious," Ilhoon offered. Namjoo rolled her eyes and stared down at the piece of paper. For a moment, she had thoughts of ripping the paper into tiny pieces and throw it in the trash.

But of course, that was only for a few seconds.

Before she could change her mind, she grabbed ahold of the paper and unfolded it. Ilhoon widened his eyes, and was tempted to reach for her wrist to stop. Yet, he lacked the courage to do so, and allowed Namjoo to unfold the note. Once she was one fold away from seeing what was written in it, she realized that there was a large hole on the note. She looked over at Ilhoon, who only shrugged his shoulders.

"Seems like he wrote it when he was really angry," Ilhoon said. "Hint, hint! It means that we shouldn't look at this!"

Namjoo rolled her eyes. "You're such a kid. Look, we're only one fold away. I'm unfolding it, okay?"

"Don't blame me if you regret seeing what's written on the paper," Ilhoon told her. Namjoo pressed her lips, then flipped the note open. The white piece of paper was covered with black, thick ink. 

Kai really did write this when he was angry, she told, noticing the messy handwriting.

"Yay! We saw what's on it! Let's throw it out before someone comes--" Ilhoon paused, then snatched the paper to examine it. "Hold up. My name is on this."

"There's a lot of names," Namjoo said, heaving a sigh. "He probably listed them for fun or something."

"But one's crossed off. This person's name was on top of the list."

"Maybe he accomplished something with that person."

"... Namjoo, what's your last name?" Ilhoon asked, his eyes turning from a glare to a dreaded look.

"Kim. Why?" she asked.

"You're on the list," he said. "Actually, your name is last on the list."

"What? Maybe it's a name of new students on the list," she said, chuckling weakly.

"No. No, that's not it. I don't recognize all these names," Ilhoon notified her. He shoved the paper in front of her face. "Namjoo, Namjoo! Tell me that I'm reading this wrong. What is this? What in the world is this?"

"It's just a paper with a list of name I found in Kai's trash--" Namjoo paused. Her eyes rolled over to where Ilhoon's index finger was pointing at. On top of the paper, Kai had put the title of what the list was for. She gulped nervously, and stood up. "N-No way... A hit-list?"

"Namjoo. Your name is on the hit-list," Ilhoon said. "So is mine."

"N... No way. I refuse to believe in it. It's not like he actually did something to them, right?" Namjoo asked. 

"If he didn't do anything, why is the first person on the list's name crossed out?" Ilhoon shouted, raising his voice. Namjoo, startled, took a step back and fell on her bottom while reading the list. 

Next to the number one sign, she silently read the name that had a strike-through over it: Jung Krystal.

"I-Ilhoon, you know this person, right? She's alive, right?" Namjoo stuttered.

At that very moment, Ilhoon covered his face with his hand. "I've never heard of her. Sorry."

Silence filled the blank room. Namjoo kept her eyes on the paper, while Ilhoon looked away in shame. Both of their names were on the list. Why? For Ilhoon, he knew clearly why. Kai dispised him. But why wasn't he second on the list? For Namjoo, she guessed that Kai hated her since she stood up for Ilhoon. But didn't he tell her to watch out? Why was she his target when he only warned her?

"Krystal... Well, if Kai knows her, she must've went to this school," Namjoo mumbled. "I know that for sure. There was no girl named 'Jung Krystal' in my old school." She looked up at Ilhoon, who stared down at her with a sour look. "Ilhoon, take me to the library!"

"What? Why? Not now. Don't you understand our situation?" Ilhoon exclaimed, widening his eyes.

"No! I need to see a yearbook! I want to know who she is," Namjoo demanded.

"Woah, calm down. Think about it for a minute, Namjoo. We don't know if she's alive or dead. We don't even know if she transferred schools like Dongho! It's best for us to not dig deeper into this," Ilhoon explained slowly. Namjoo got up from the ground and dusted her skirt. She gave Ilhoon a dark look.

"But what if it's real?" she asked.

"We have plenty of names above us. We can stalk these guys and see who's going to die and who's not! Like... Like the name on number two! It reads, 'Choi Minho.' Let's go find out about him and see if he's alive!" Ilhoon suggested.

"We can see if he's alive in the yearbook. Come on. Take me to the library, or else," she demanded. Ilhoon made a face.

"I refuse."

"Oh yeah? Want to think about that for a moment?"

"Yes." A pause. "Fine, fine. I'll take you to the library."

Namjoo grinned and clapped her hands. The yearbook would prove if her Kai did or didn't become a corrupted person. If Krystal was on the yearbook and graduated, then Kai didn't touch her. Yet, if Krystal was on the yearbook and failed to be seen on the graduation page of the yearbook...

She shook her head. There's no way that Kai's like that. He's a sweet... He's a sweet, charming boy. There's no way that he would kill a person for no reason. There's just no way...

But the more she tried to convince herself, the more she felt that she was lying to herself.