Change of Plans

An Angel's Agony

Kai heaved a sigh. He loosened the tie around his neck and took off his blazer. He threw the uniform on his bed and rubbed his face tiredly as he took a seat on his chair. He pressed his lips for a moment, then eyed at the stack of books he had to finish up for homework. Then, he looked over at the ground, where he had dropped important files that had to be completed by the next day.

Being part of student council is such a difficult job, he complained to himself, shaking his head. He looked outside the window, where it was pitch-black except for a couple of street lights scattered among the concrete. He was just about to close the curtains until he saw two strangely familiar students walking among the street across from his home. He peeked through the small opening between his gray curtains and glared at the odd figure. He slightly opened the window in order to hear their conversation.

"So, it's official? We're meeting after school tomorrow to go to the hospital and visit Suzy?" the girl said. It took Kai a few seconds to realize that it was Namjoo talking to Ilhoon. He watched Ilhoon smile weakly.

"Sure. But what about what the nurse said? You know, about her friend? She told me later in the day that she was going to tell me when we can meet her friend once I get beaten up again," Ilhoon said. "I'm mostly going to go to the nurse's office during class, though. It's more private that way."

Kai felt his heart pound against his chest. What was this feeling? It was very familiar, yet it was such an odd feeling. The nurse's friend? Who was the nurse's friend? Was she related to Krystal or Suzy in some way? And Namjoo was going to visit Suzy? To him, Suzy wasn't much of a threat. Everyone blamed Krystal's dead on her.

But then there are people related to Suzy who know the truth, he reminded himself. He stopped breathing and fell into silence. 

"Um, if the nurse gives you any note of when we can meet her friend, then make sure to tell me. Meanwhile, I'll be waiting until you send me some kind of text message, okay? My phone will be on vibrate, so I'll get it any time, even during class," Namjoo said.

"Isn't that too risky? I mean, some people hear the vibrate. You can get your phone confiscated," Ilhoon pointed out.

Namjoo laughed. "No, it's perfectly fine. I'm a master of hiding stuff! Now, I'm going to come up with a list of conversations that will eventually lead me to finding out what happened to Krystal."

Bam. Kai stared at Namjoo and Ilhoon with wide eyes. He quickly closed the window and covered it with the curtains. His heart continued to race and he failed to breathe in a rhythmic pattern. He slowly made his way to his bed, and stared at the blank wall, dumbfounded.

What do I do? he wondered. What do I do about tomorrow?

At that moment, Kai caught sight of his phone. Knowing what to do, he reached for his phone and began to send several text messages.

To: Everybody
Whatever you do tomorrow, do not beat Ilhoon up. Whoever is a great actor and actress, try to stay at the nurse's office and keep her busy. Don't worry about your notes. I'll take care of it and excuse you for helping the student councils. Do whatever with Namjoo. Just make sure that her phone is on full volume during the entire day. Thanks.

 

The next day during noon, Ilhoon suddenly became aware of the fact that no one--not even Kai--had come to him and taught him a "lesson." He realized that no one gave him a nasty look or some sort of sign. He became alert, and he kept sweating nervously over keeping his hopes too high.

Is today some kind of lucky day? Ilhoon wondered.

"Ilhoon, are you okay?" the teacher asked, looking up from the board. Ilhoon gasped a bit too loudly. He looked up at the teacher, who gave him a puzzled expression. Ilhoon glanced at the other students, who showed no sign of threat. Being in this situation, Ilhoon suddenly realized that he had to go and visit the nurse for some information about her friend. 

"Um, I guess I'm feeling a bit dizzy," Ilhoon answered. His hands began to shake and he gently bit his tongue, wondering if someone was going to glare at him. When he looked around again, no one glanced at him. 

This is really odd, he thought, shaking his head.

"Sure. I'll write you a note to the nurse. Here, take this," the teacher said, ripping out a pass. He handed it to Ilhoon, who slowly stood up and bowed his head to thank him. Before confirming that something was definitely different, Ilhoon rushed out of the room and headed straight towards the nurse's office. What was going on? Today was way too peaceful!

"Hey!" someone behind him shouted. Ilhoon froze, and his heart stopped racing. He smiled a bit, glad to know that this wasn't just an unusual day. He gulped nervously and turned around, only to see one of Kai's friend, JB, walking towards him. Finally, JB dropped his hand on Ilhoon's shoulder.

This is it! Ilhoon thought. This guy is going to beat me up. I just know it!

"No running in the hall way, dude," JB warned him. He flashed the confused boy a smile. "Have a great day!"

Ilhoon blinked his eyes and stood still as JB brushed past him. He was being treated like a normal kid. A normal kid.

"Something is wrong with this school!" he exclaimed quietly, running towards the clinic. When he arrived, he was surprised to see so many students and groaning on the beds and chairs. G.NA looked up with a hopeful expression, but her smile died when she saw Ilhoon.

"Oh, Ilhoon. I thought you were the student who brought the bandages and other supplies," G.NA said, frowning. "You can take care of yourself, right? You know where most of our supply is."

Ilhoon shook his head. "N-No, I'm not hurt. Um, how many people are here?"

"I have no clue. I was just reading some health magazine until--"

"Nurse!" a female student moaned. "My head hurts!"

"Wait right there!" G.NA exclaimed. She turned to Ilhoon with a pale expression. "You're probably hear for when you can meet my friend, right?"

"Yes, I am--"

"Nurse! I think my scab is bleeding! I'm going to die!" a student cried.

G.NA rolled her eyes. "Honestly, some of the excuses they make are ridiculous. No one dies from a small scratch!"

"Did you tell him that?" Ilhoon asked.

"Yes, but they just keep exaggerating and they won't keep quiet until I treat them. It's beginning to get annoying. Anyways, Ilhoon. Let me quickly write it down on this piece of paper--"

"Nurse! Nurse, ow! I need a new ice pack!" another student interrupted.

"Just wait a second, sweetie--"

"I need it now!" the same student demanded. G.NA sighed and dropped the pen.

"Sorry, Ilhoon! I can't write it down right now. Do you mind coming after school?" she asked. Ilhoon nodded her head.

"Definitely. You seem really busy. I can tell Namjoo to go ahead," Ilhoon responded. He quickly left the office, not wanting to bother the nurse. As he left, he took out his phone from his pocket and sent Namjoo a quick text about how she was able to go ahead.

 

Bing! 

A loud ringtone rung in the air. Namjoo flinched and froze for a moment. Everyone in her classroom glanced at each other, wondering whose phone had rung. The old teacher sighed and stared at the students with a disappointed expression.

"Okay, whose phone was that?" the teacher asked. No one raised their hands. Finally, a girl with short hair raised her hand. "Was it you, Minzy?"

The student shook her head. "No, but I'm pretty sure that I heard it from Namjoo's bag."

Namjoo widened her eyes. What? Impossible! She's three rows away from me! It couldn't possibly be my phone! Plus, my cell phone is on vibrate.

"Yeah, it did sound like the ringtone came from her bag," agreed Jiyoung, who also raised her hand without hesitation. 

"You guys, it wasn't my phone--"

"Namjoo, please take out your phone. I'd like to see it," the teacher said, walking over to her. Namjoo rolled her eyes and reached into her bag to grab her phone.

"I'm telling you. It wasn't mine, I promi--" Namjoo froze as she stared at the time the text message was received. She looked over at the teacher, who gave her a quizzical expression. She faked a laugh, and slowly handed her phone of to the teacher. "I... I guess it was my phone..."

"Kim Namjoo, I will see you after school at the teacher's office. Until then, you are not going to get your phone back," the adult informed her. Namjoo dropped her jaws, then stared at her phone.

"W-Wait! It was a really important message! Can't I at least see it--"

"I'm afraid not, Miss Kim. Now, why don't you go ahead and answer the next question? We're on page 221, number seven in our textbook."

Namjoo groaned and stood up from her seat. She grabbed the booklet in her hand and searched around the room, incase there were any signs of smirks, giggles, or a sinister look. As expected, she saw people give her a smudge look, clearly showing that it was them who did the dirty prank.

But she wasn't expecting that it was all of her classmates who played such a risky joke.