Tombstone's Dream

An Angel's Agony

"Choi Minho! Hey! You know, I met one of your friends, Key. He told me a lot about you. Why don't you join the basketball club?"

The college student didn't bother to smile or look up. "Sorry, but not this time."

"Baseball club?"

"Can't handle the bat."

"Track and field?"

"No thank you."

"Okay, fine. How about the soccer club? Key told me that you were in the soccer club in high school. Why don't you just join that club?"

Minho stopped. He turned around, and stared at his classmate. A horrible memory flashed in his head for a brief moment. Minho pressed his lips together, then let out a soft chuckle.

"I don't have the rights to play soccer," he whispered. "I let something terrible happen to someone whom I promised to protect. There's no way that I have the right to have fun. Now, if you'll excuse me..."

"Choi Minho!" a girl called him. "There's a girl in a wheelchair waiting for you."

Bae Suzy? Why is she here? Minho wondered. "Is she alone?"

"Seems so. Then again, there was a girl with brown hair next to her. I think they came together," she said.

Ah, there we go. That must be Jessica, Minho thought. "Okay, I'll be out."

Before the first student could convince him about joining a sports club, Minho rushed outside with his bag. He quickly ran to the gates, where he saw Suzy and Jessica. The two girls looked up, smiled at Minho, and waited for him to catch his breath.

"You certainly seem healthy and fit for someone who isn't playing soccer anymore," Suzy said with a smirk.

"I jog every morning near the graveyard and back to school," Minho replied with a heavy voice. "I haven't seen Krystal for quite some time. I'm planning to see her later this week."

Jessica nodded her head. "Perfect timing, then. Let's go."

"Wait, are you serious? We're going to Krystal's grave right now?"

"Of course. Then we need to talk about convincing L and..."

"Actually, I'm kind of hesitating after hearing L's excuse," Minho admitted. This caused the girls to stop and stare. "I mean, come on. If we keep quiet, what else is Kai going to do? Krystal's gone and that's... it. So what if Namjoo and her friend finds out about the truth? What are they going to do?"

"Does hearing how Namjoo came over and asked about Krystal soothe you?" Suzy asked, narrowing her eyes. "Truth is already eating up our insides. It hasn't eaten the lies yet. It's going to make us admit the lies, and that's when things go crazy."

"You're just anxious to know the truth. You half-know that it's not your fault," Minho retorted.

"And you half-know that you're going to be in deep trouble," Suzy fired back.

"You know, you're just mean to everyone, not only Krystal."

"Say that to my friends who came to visit me a few days ago!" she cried, tears swelling up in her eyes. "It was terrible... They acted so fake and L wasn't there to say anything..."

Jessica sighed and pushed Suzy to the taxi cab. "Can't trust that L no more. He's not the same guy you dated."

"How I wish I lived a normal life," muttered Suzy, struggling to get inside the cab.

"How we all do," Minho agree, looking ahead. "Now, let's go pick up that bastard and make him agree to telling the truth, hm?"

 

Namjoo inhaled deeply as she respectfully placed some flowers on a grave. Ilhoon, as usual, was with her, being as silent as he could be. After a few minutes of holding a small prayer, Namjoo got on her knees and stared at the tombstone.

"Well, this is Krystal's grave," Namjoo said. Suddenly, she got down on the ground and gently closed her eyes. "Good night!"

Ilhoon stared at her. "What are you doing?"

"Sleeping," she replied softly. "They say that if you sleep in front of a person's grave, you can meet them in your dreams. You should sleep, too, Ilhoon."

The boy took a seat next to her. "Nah, I'll just keep watch. Who knows what's going to happen to you."

She grinned. "Look at you act all tough... Sometimes I feel that you changed in one night..."

He gulped nervously, then let out a soft laugh. He waited for three minutes, then tried to call her name. Once he figured that she was sleeping, he softly smiled and rested his eyes for a second. He opened them to make sure that Namjoo was still next to him. Then, he slowly reached over and tucked a loose strand of her hair behind her ear. It took him seconds to realize how pale her cheeks were and how cold she seemed, despite the nice weather.

Suddenly, the memory of murdering Niel and Jiyoung with the same hand that he touched Namjoo's hair frightened him. He instinctively drew back his hand in a jerky motion. 

It was their fault, it was their fault, it was their fault, he repeated, putting his hands closer to his chest.

 

It took a few seconds for Namjoo to realize that she was on the roof. In fact, it was the same roof she had almost fell off of, but was saved by Kai. However, this roof didn't have a secure fence yard like the current one. It was small, and one clumsy step could end up a huge disaster.

"I told you to go back. Why didn't you listen?"

Namjoo turned around and found a fragile girl glare at her. She was around the same age as her, but maybe older. The girl had long, black hair with a round small nose. She had bright, chestnut eyes which gave off a pitiful glow. Namjoo gulped nervously, and put her hands in her pockets, which suddenly disappeared. She tried to speak, but nothing came out.

"I said it was a mistake. Why did you go to the roof?" the stranger asked her. As if by magic, Namjoo suddenly knew her name: Krystal.

"I don't mean to anger you," Namjoo said. "I just want to know what happened to--"

"All the downfalls in your life will be your fault. You can't blame anyone else. It's all you fault."

Namjoo became confused. What was she saying?

"Don't bring back the past. Don't go too into the future. Just stay on the present road and avoid all eyes," Krystal advised.

"I just want to know why you're so special!" Namjoo shouted. "Why are you in Kai's list and eliminated, why Suzy is freaking out because of you, and why everyone in this problem is related to you."

Krystal paused. Suddenly, their surroundings were engulfed by darkness. The petite figure began to fade until it was almost transparent. Namjoo tried to take a step forward, but there were chains that grabbed ahold of her.

"I fell to my own doom, saved the man who wanted to kill me, guided a lost soul who's still lost, fed a coward more fear, became ungrateful for someone who spoiled me, and caused misery to one who gave me more misery."

Namjoo clenched her jaws. "Are... Are you in peace?"

The woman frowned, then completely faded away. Though Namjoo managed to catch the last word that were barely audible to her tiny ears: "No."

 

Namjoo gasped for air and widened her eyes. She quickly sat up, and looked around. Ilhoon looked at her, surprised.

"Bad dream or something?" Ilhoon asked. Namjoo frowned, and thought hard. A bad dream? It was. But what was the dream about? She couldn't quite remember what she dreamt about.

"Um... think so. I... I don't know. I just know that Krystal was in it and... that's it," Namjoo said, blinking her eyes.

"Well, maybe you'll remember. Let's go home, though. I'm tired," he said, getting up. Namjoo nodded her head, then checked her watch. She was surprised that only ten minutes had passed since she was there.

Dreams do happen quickly, she thought. Though sometimes, they happen a bit too quickly...