List to List

An Angel's Agony

News about Niel's and Jiyoung's disappearance swept all over the town. Some claimed that the two had eloped and left without a note. Others stated that the two were never that close, and probably got lost or kidnapped. As Ilhoon slowly passed by a group who claimed that the two were murdered, he heard them laugh at their own theory and move on with their lives. He heaved a sigh of relief, then looked up at the only man who doubted any of the rumors: Kai.

It made sense for Kai to be doubtful. After all, Niel and Jiyoung were ordered by him. It would be unimaginable for someone to go against Kai's orders... except for Namjoo. The tanned man looked up, then excused himself from a group of students who was chatting with. He was about to approach Ilhoon to ask about last night, until Namjoo appeared out of nowhere and stopped him.

Ilhoon squinted his eyes. What were they saying? Namjoo seemed worried, while Kai's eyes were on him. It was obvious that Kai was disintersted in whatever she was telling him. Taking this as a chance to runaway, Ilhoon swiftly ran pass them and arrived at his class.

"Wait up, Ilhoon!" a high-pitched voice called him. He turned around and saw Namjoo run up to him. "You seem a bit pale. Are you alright?"

Do I tell her? he wondered. "I'm... fine. I saw you talk with Kai. What was it about?"

"Oh. Remember how I went to the hospital yesterday? I managed to visit Suzy, and she seemed terrified. She did give me a little bit of what happened to Krystal, or what was rumored."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

Namjoo said and shrugged her shoulders. "I'm not sure.  She said that she killed Krystal, but it didn't seem right. I mean, the way she said it was really... awkward. It was like she was half-admitting it, and half-denying it."

"Then Kai?"

"I asked him if he knew anything about Suzy. He just said that she was a 'messed up creature who deserved to die.'"

"That's not right," Ilhoon commented.

"I know, right? No one deserves to die, not matter how bad they were," Namjoo said.

Ilhoon kept quiet, then said, "Even if they murdered someone?"

The girl turned around. "What was that?"

"N-Nothing," he stuttered. 

"You sure?" She leaned closer. "Honestly, Ilhoon, are you okay? You look really pale and you look like you're going to faint any minute!"

The boy pushed her away. "I'm okay, I'm fine."

But he wasn't sure if he was comforting Namjoo or himself.

 

Kai locked himself in the student council room and examined the object on his desk. He walked closer, only to see it reflect a silver glint to his eyes. He walked even closer and saw the same bat he gave to Niel just before he had disappeared. The young boy narrowed his eyes, and traced the red mark with his finger tips. He looked at a file of papers next to the bat, which were full of nonsense that he could hardly understand.

"It's still Ilhoon's blood," he whispered. Then, he grabbed ahold of the bat and threw it to the ground in frustration. The object remained in perfect shape. Some of the blood that stained the bat rubbed off on the carpet, but Kai didn't care. He was going crazy with the sudden news.

He had hired several scientists who could use machines to figure out whose blood was on the bat. However, all signs pointed to Ilhoon, who was still alive. This only proved that Ilhoon was smacked with the bat, but it didn't quite explain what happened to Niel or Jiyoung.

All I know is that those two met Ilhoon, but something happened afterwards, he thought, shaking his head. He looked out the window, and saw several students leave the gates. Among those students, he saw Namjoo walking out with Ilhoon. He narrowed his eyes, then threw the red curtain over the glass pane.

"Oh, how I wish all the answers were in my hands," he muttered. He paused, then took a seat at his desk. Quickly, Kai pulled out a framed picture of a young girl struggling to smile, an older boy terrified, and him snickering at the camera. He gave the old photo a small smile and ran his thumb against the girl.

"You used to smile so beautifully when you were afraid, Krystal," he said to himself. "If only I decided to die with you, but I have so much more things to do here than up there. For instance..." Kai grabbed ahold of a pin and stabbed it on the picture of the older boy. "...I need to bring misery to L. After all, it's his fault for supporting people who tortured you."

He took a deep breath. Then, he took off his shoe, and pulled out a piece of paper. He stared at the list of names that he had wrote, which had the exact same names as his previous hit-list. However, he had mixed up the order. Kai smirked, then looked at the fresh ink that smeared across the white sheet.

"Well, if people are already dying, might as well get rid of them," he simply stated. "Who shall I get first--"

The door swung opened. Kai quickly hid the list back in his shoe and stood up. There was only one other man who had the keys to unlock this door: Ilhoon's father, or the principal.

"Principal Jung," Kai called him, bowing ever so respectfully. The old man smiled and pulled back his glasses.

"Good afternoon, Jongin. I see you're doing fine, yes?" he asked, taking a seat.

Kai bit his tongue. The principal would never address him by his nickname, but always by his real name. For a minute, he wanted to tear apart the adult's tongue, but he restrained himself by seating after the principal.

"What brings you here?" he asked politely.

"Ah..." There was a deadly pause. "My son came home awfully late last night."

Kai gulped, but smiled. "And?"

"He came home awfully, awfully late. It was so awful. When he came home, he was covered in blood and every thing. It was terrifying to see. His blood still stains my carpet," Mr. Jung said. He stopped himself for a second, then gave Kai a cruel gaze. "It was disgusting."

"Sir," Kai began, "I'm awfully busy today. Let's talk about your son's--"

"Then two of my students, Niel and Jiyoung, suddenly disappeared last night, too," Mr. Jung continued.

"I don't see the connection," Kai responded earnestly.

The adult shrugged his shoulders. "I'm just saying that my son came very late last night. That's all. After all, my son is the one who will take over this school in the future. He shouldn't have a reputation of returning home late. Do you understand?"

No, I don't have a clue. "Of course, sir. Anything else?"

Mr. Jung stared at Kai. "I just wanted to say that I wish my son was more like you. You're doing a great job, Kai. Keep it up."

Kai smiled. He liked the principal, despite the fact that he wanted Ilhoon to take over the school. Both of them knew that Kai shoul be the one to take over. After all, he was more responsible, bold, and had the leadership skills that were essential to protecting the school's name. It was a no-brainer for Kai to take over. However, Mr. Jung desired the school to become prosperous, while Kai just wanted the school to grant Krystal's wish.

"Thank you very much, sir. Have a nice day," Kai said, bowing once again. The principal left, leaving Kai in the silent room. He sighed and stared at his shoes.

I can start eliminating people later, he decided. All he had in his mind was what had hapened to Niel and Jiyoung, and what the principal was talking about when he made a connection between the two and Ilhoon.