Unfamiliar Glint

An Angel's Agony

It had been a week since Namjoo and Ilhoon had met the reunited Namjoo gritted her teeth as she stared at her classmates in disbelief.

"I bought the snacks you wanted, and now you're not going to eat it? I texted someone to come, but none of you replied!" she shouted, glaring at the students. Niel smirked and continued to tap his thumbs on his smartphone, ignoring the anguish cries of her damaged pride. His eyes were stuck to the bright screen, as if that had entertained him more than watching her suffer.

"Let's see... I asked you to get our class fifteen sandwiches--"

"Which are impossible to get with these--" Namjoo shook her thin arms in the air. "--little arms!"

"--and we asked you to get thirty cold juices, one-hundred percent juice. I see, that in that pile of garbage, you brought us fourteen red-bean paste bread and ten bottles of water," he said, giving a quick look at the stacked food.

"Well, at least pay," Namjoo said, holding out her hand. The boy finally looked up, along with his other friends. They exchanged surprised looks at first, but then they began to laugh. Niel signaled Minzy to approach her. The skinny girl gave Namjoo a smug look. When she did give the money, Namjoo realized the different texture and size of the cash. She looked down after Minzy had turned back to her desk.

Minzy had given her fake cash.

"Hey!" Namjoo yelled furiously. "I asked for real money! Pay!"

"This girl is way to persistent to play with," Jiyoung commented loudly, groaning. "Can't we play another game? This one's too boring."

"We can't harm her," a boy with flat red hair (Namjoo was sure that his name was Ricky) said out loud.

"So what should we do?" Niel asked. "What're you suggesting, Jiyoung?"

"Maybe we can do something else? Like..." Jiyoung quickly approached Namjoo and stole her phone. Before Namjoo could do anything, the girl retreated with the phone. "Someone, catch!"

The expensive electronic was thrown across the room, where Ricky had almost missed to catch it. He widened his eyes, panicked, and when Namjoo started charging towards him, he threw it aimlessly in the air. Fortunately, Minzy caught it, but the game wasn't over.

"Open the window!" she commanded. Niel didn't hesitated and completed the demand in a blink of an eye.

"Give it back!" Namjoo cried out. Was this fun for them?

"Get this, Niel!" Minzy threw the phone to Niel, who failed to catch it. The device glided through the air, cutting the winds, and flying out of the window. Namjoo gasped and ran towards the window, where her phone was nowhere to be seen. Silence enveloped the room, like how death could quiet the living souls.

Suddenly, Minzy began to giggle. Then, a few other girls giggled. The guys began to chuckle, and soon enough, the room erupted into laughter. Namjoo, pale, angrily glared at Niel. She reached for his collar, and brought him close to her face.

"Go fetch it!" Namjoo demanded.

"You at catching, Niel!" Ricky howled.

"No! Minzy at throwing!" Niel exclaimed, defending himself.

"Someone go get it!" Namjoo repeated.

Minzy patted her chest with her fist. "Oh, the guilt! Here, I'll go get your stupid phone if you give me your homework. I need to copy it."

"Do your own homework," Jiyoung said, rolling her eyes. "Does anyone know what the math homework was, though?"

With that, the conversation about Namjoo's dear phone had completely died. The furious woman stared at her classmates with anger. Before she had the time to react, she managed to spot someone outside the window, near where her phone was dropped. Thinking that it was Ilhoon, she quickly left the classroom and climbed down the floor.

However, when Namjoo did arrive at the bush, she realized that the man on his ground wasn't Ilhoon.

He was Kai.

"What are you doing?" she asked, shooting him a glare. Kai jerked back up with a surprised look on his face. Then, he glowered at her and turned his head back to the plants.

"Nothing," he muttered before searching for his lost object.

"I'll help you if you help me find my phone," she offered, not caring who she was asking help for. She really needed some kind of help. If her parents found out that she had lost her phone, then she was sure that she'd be grounded.

"Why don't you ask the Idiot to help? Doesn't he have your number?" Kai asked. He went down on his knees and dug his hands into the rough branches of the plants.

"Well, I thought that you were him until I saw that hideous face of yours. Oh, and don't call him 'Idiot.' He has a name, you know--Ilhoon, if you didn't know that," Namjoo fired back. She rolled her eyes and bent down to search for her phone. 

"You're so nosy," Kai commented. "You get into my problems, and--"

"Hold up. Are we talking about that Krystal problem? You know, it isn't exactly your problem. It's everyone's problem, including mine. I might not know a lot about this 'Krystal,' but--"

"Stop talking about her! You act like you know her, but you don't--"

"She was my savior back in kindergarten!" Namjoo shouted. She furiously glared at Kai, who stared at her with shock. "I used to get bullied by a couple of guys, and she was there to save me! I never got to thank her because I had to move so suddenly, but she was always there to rescue me. I'm also related to Suzy, who was my childhood friend right before I moved. I'm even more involved because of you--Don't you remember how I confessed to you? You punched me right in the face! Honestly, what kind of man does that--"

Namjoo was interrupted when Kai pressed a phone against her lips. She frowned, and was forced to pull out her hand from Kai's firm grip around her wrist. When she looked down, she realized that the phone he was holding was hers. However, the screen was broken and the back case was missing. The battery was still there, and to her surprise, it was perfectly okay.

"Here's your stupid damn phone," he muttered. He was about to walk away until Namjoo grabbed his other hand.

"Wait! What about your item?" she asked, cooling down.

"I don't need it anymore. Now leave me alone before I shut your mouth," Kai cursed. As he walked away, he didn't realize Namjoo slightly blushing.

Of course, she was furious with him. She didn't like how he stopped her rant, but she was thankful. A small smile crawled upon her lips while she stared at his lonely back.

He's still a little sane, she believed. There's still hope for me to turn him away from insanity.

 

"Ilhoon! Ilhoon, go fetch!"

"Ilhoon, I'm going to dump your journal in the trash can!"

"Hey, Ilhoon! What did the teacher say about that 'lost' essay of yours?"

Three boys laughed and scattered nearby. Ilhoon was drenched from his own soda, which one of the boys managed to steal and splash on him. He was on the ground, unable to get up since the second boy kicked his foot so hard, it was throbbing with pain. The third boy hardly touched him, but he took advantage of Ilhoon's miserable state by grabbing his backpack and running around with it.

What do I do? Ilhoon wondered, staring at the three beasts. What should I say? Do I still stay here? I should ignore them. If I ignore them, then they're going to get bored--

"Ilhoon! Look, there's a bunch of icky stuff in the trash today!" the man holding Ilhoon's journal screamed, waving it in the air. He pretended to put the journal inside the trashcan, but managed to swipe it away before touching the mess.

He's taunting me, Ilhoon realized.

"Shoot!"

Ilhoon finally looked up, and widened his eyes. His journal was in the trash can, his backpack was stuck in the tree, and the essay that was stolen sunk in despair in the puddle besides to broken water fountain. He tried to get up, but a sharp pain stabbed the base of his foot and he was left falling to the floor.

"What a bore," the first guy complained. "Let's just beat him up and leave him there."

"Good idea," the third boy agreed. The three gathered around Ilhoon with a mischievous smile wrapped around their face. As the dark clouds covered the dying sun, Ilhoon was taken far away from his belonging to be pounded like a dummy he was.

I prayed for help every single day, he thought, lost in his mind, but my prayers aren't answered. I ask anyone--maybe the fallen angels--to help me get away from this repetative, agonizing pain!

From that moment on--just like the dark glow of the sun hidden in the clouds--there was an unfamiliar glint that glistened in Ilhoon's pure, round orbs.