The Early Birds

An Angel's Agony

Three days had passed, and Dongho's existence seemed to have vanished right after he stopped making his appearance at school. Namjoo found it a miracle how he was able to transfer school so fast, yet she still couldn't shake the fact that what Kai, the guy who she was supposed to love two years ago, did to the poor boy. Wasn't it wrong to force someone out of a school like this? She couldn't imagine the horror and pressure Dongho felt throughout the time he had to sign papers and choose another school.

It was morning, and she didn't feel like going to school. The sun rose slightly above the tall buildings, the sky still shaded with a tint of awaking orange. The cars honked about in the streets, crowded by business workers and students who were trying to get to school. She peeked out the window, and found students wearing the same uniform as her school's returning back to the building Namjoo dreaded to go back to.

There was a knock on the door, and Namjoo called the person in. Her mother's head poked into the room, and soon she made a cautious entrance.

"Namjoo, it's the second day of school! Aren't you going to get ready?" her mother asked, rummaging into her daughter's closet. 

Namjoo hid her face under her blankets. "No, I'm feeling sick."

"That's no excuse! You need to keep up with your grades! Hurry, get up! I'll make something easy for you to eat when you run to school. Hurry up, sweetie!"

"But Mom, I'm really feeling sick--"

"Kim Namjoo, did I moved miles just to come to watch you sleep? I thought we agreed to move here just for you to finish graduating here! This was your dream high school! At least make something out of it," her mother lectured her. 

Suddenly, Namjoo's head came out of the blanket. She stared at her mother with eyes glowing with ideas. A smile crawled up on her lips, and she gave her mother a mischievous grin.

"Mom, you did tell me to make something out of it, right? At school?" Namjoo asked.

"Oh, sweetie, don't give me that look. It gives me to creeps. As long as it is legal and appropriate, it's fine by me," her mother said, taking out her uniform and laying it down on the bed. "Now get up! Hurry, now! I'll drive you."

"No! No, it's okay Mom!" Namjoo said, throwing her blankets away to the side. "I'll get ready right now! Just make some toast and I'll be down in ten minutes!"

 

"Bleh!" Ilhoon began to choke on the handful of dirt he was forced to breath. He rubbed his neck to sooth his throat, and he looked up with one eye shut from a small pebble stuck in his eye. The irritation caused him to rub his eye with the back of his hand, which was covered with dust. When he looked up, he saw Kai and his little minions smirking and pointing at him.

"What? Still hungry? Here, we also have worms this morning," Kai said. He signaled Sehun to bring in a bucket full of mud. In the mud were squirming pink worms, fresh from the ground this morning. Ilhoon widened his eyes, and scrambled backwards.

"N-No. I'm pretty f-full," Ilhoon stuttered, trying to get up. When he was on his foot, two guys pushed him right back down. Kai shook his head in disappointed, and leaned forward to grab a handful of Ilhoon's hair. Ilhoon didn't even bother to scream. Why scream when he was going through this the last two years? He knew that screaming was pointless.

"Ilhoon! Buddy! Friend! You know what, I understand. You don't want to eat these insects! Here." Kai handed Ilhoon an apple. "Eat this."

Ilhoon widened his eyes in horror. "A-An a-apple? You want me to eat an a-apple? J-Just an a-apple?"

"Um, duh. Come on. No trick. I promise!"

Ilhoon hesitated and looked away. "N-No thanks. The dirt filled my stomach..."

"Eat. It." The thunderous voice shook Ilhoon's heart, as he quickly snatched the apple and took a bit of it. The texture of the apple was especially soft and quite foul. He scrunched his nose, and stared at the apple. He quickly spat out the moldy substance once he saw a bug digging a whole inside the apple. He dropped the occupied apple, which caused Kai and his buddies to laugh aloud. Ilhoon felt his heart quicken its pace, fearing of what he just ate. 

For once, Ilhoon screamed. He didn't care if anyone heard him or not. He didn't even mind if the world heard him. He just had to scream. In fear? In anger? He didn't know. He just needed to scream. He couldn't take this anymore. Sure, the same process would happen tomorrow. He would be bullied, crushed to the ground, and probably cursed at. But that did that matter anymore? Did it make a difference to his life? Screaming never did. So why shouldn't he scream now?

Before Ilhoon knew it, he saw a fist punch against Kai's perfect cheeks. Everyone widened their eyes as Kai collapsed on the ground from the tough impact. Silence filled the back of the school. Kai sat still, and reached to touch his bruised cheeks. Suddenly, his light eyes hardened and turned cold to the point where he seemed like a murderous zombie. He looked up and locked eyes with the person--specifically a woman--standing above him. 

Kai gritted his teeth, and narrowed his eyes. "You. Are. Above. Me."

His friends kneeled down near Kai, as they stared at Namjoo. Namjoo rolled her eyes and glanced at Ilhoon, who was powdered with dirt and dust. She reached for Ilhoon's hand, who hesitated to accept it. After a moment of thinking, Ilhoon accepted Namjoo's help and put himself back on his feet. Kai waited for his hand, but Namjoo ignored him for a moment.

"Are you okay?" she asked. Ilhoon kept quiet, and nodded his head. She gave him a soft smile. "I heard a scream, so I thought that I should rush this way."

Ilhoon felt his heart skip a beat.

Namjoo turned back to Kai and stared at him. "Are you Kim Jongin, also known as Kai?"

Kai scoffed and rolled his eyes as he helped himself on his feet. "What? So you're saying you don't know who I am?"

"I'm asking you a question as politely as I can."

"Polite? Punching someone is a polite manner? Since when?" Kai shouted. 

Namjoo frowned. "That was for justice. This is a different case. I'm asking if you really are Kai."

"And why does it matter to you?"

"Were you the guy who left two years ago to this school?" Namjoo asked. Seeing Kai's frozen expression, she could finally conclude that this Kai was really the boy she loved two years ago. Her heart felt heavy at the thought of how he was today compared to back then in the past. "Kai, do you remember me? Kim Namjoo? We went to the same school!"

Kai hung his face low. "Same... school?"

Namjoo grinned. "Do you not remember? I can prove that I know you. I remember it clearly: You said that you would leave for a week to see your friend. However, something came up and you suddenly exchanged school. Then--"

"Enough." Kai's serious voice caused everyone to be silent. Namjoo pressed her lips against each other, and glanced over at the rest. Everyone else seemed to be in shock over what Namjoo was saying. 

When Kai looked up, everyone saw the dirty look in his eyes. "What do you want with me?"

Namjoo diverted her attention away while a light blush appeared on her cheeks. "Kai--No, Kim Jongin--I like you." Everyone stared at her as if she was out of her mind. Then, her eyes softened to a sad, gentle expression. "But you've changed. Why?"

A pause. After, a dark laugh slipped out of Kai's plump lips. Namjoo blinked her eyes, shocked about Kai's reactions towards her sincere questions and confession. She dared to confess her true feelings to him, even if he was a total jerk. And in return, he laughed? Nothing about this was funny to Namjoo.

Kai chuckled, then wiped a tear from the corner of his eyes. "You came to this school just for a meaningless love? You must be..." His smile turned to a greedy smirk. "… a true idiot."

The last thing Namjoo saw was when Kai raised his fist, and landed it against her head.

Afterwards, she out.