Room 1010

An Angel's Agony

Namjoo hopped off the car with a bouquet of roses in her hand. She sniffed them happily, then grinned. She turned to her mother, who didn't bother to get out of the car. The window rolled down, and Namjoo bent down to meet her mother's eyes.

"I need to go shopping and buy some meat for dinner tonight," her mother said. "What time should I pick you up?"

"What time is it right now?"

"Almost one."

"Can you pick me up in an hour? Make sure you call me when you're five minutes away from the hospital, okay?" Namjoo said. With that, her mother nodded and drove off to buy dinner. Namjoo turned around and took a deep breath as she stared at the white building. She tapped her feet along the marbled floors, noticing how they were covered with petals that fell from the trees. An old man was brushing them away with a broom. Their eyes met, and she returned his look with a smile.

"Hello, sir! Thank you for your hard work!" she exclaimed. The old man sighed and smiled back.

"It's nice to see someone who's not depressed over such trivial matters," he replied.

Namjoo slightly frowned. "Who would be upset over seeing flower blossoms?"

"Talk to the girl on the fifth floor in room 1010. You'll love talking to her about these things," the man replied, his tone dripping with sarcasm. Namjoo forced a smile and nodded her head. "Anyways, who're you visiting? Your grandmother? grandfather?"

"No, both my old folks are quite healthy," she said. "I'm visiting a friend of mine."

"Oh, really? Is she ill?"

"I'm not too sure. I've heard that she's been in the hospital for a while. I wanted to see her since I'm going to attend a school around here."

"Ah, I see. Well, I hope your friend recovers from whatever she's suffering. It's heartbreaking to see someone stuck in a hospital, no matter how friendly the environment is," the old man said. Namjoo thanked him, and walked inside the building. She headed towards the counter, and walked towards the nurse who was busy filing the patient's private documents.

"Excuse me, but where can I find a patient named 'Bae Suzy'?" Namjoo asked. The nurse slightly widened her eyes.

"Oh! You must be the girl who's expected to be here around one," the nurse exclaimed. "I'm sorry, but today isn't the best day to see her."

Namjoo frowned. "Why not? I'm best friends with her--"

"She simply refuses to see you," she interrupted. "I'm sorry. Would you mind coming tomorrow or making another appointment?"

"Ah... Sure, I'll come tomorrow. But I might come around four or five. Erm, then can I see another patient? I know which floor and room she's in," Namjoo said, remembering the floor and room number the old man had mentioned. It would be nice if I can show her a little color in life.

"Sure! Go right ahead. We have elevators over there to the right," the nurse said, gesturing her pen towards the corridor. Namjoo nodded her head and quickly walked towards the silver-colored elevators. She pressed the "up" button and tapped her foot gently against the floor. Once the doors opened, she stepped inside and reached to press the button with the number five.

"Wait!" someone exclaimed. Namjoo, startled, instinctively forced the door open by pressing another button. A sweaty man rushed inside, barely making it inside. After a pause, the doors finally closed and Namjoo was alone with a stranger.

"That was dangerous," Namjoo mentioned, her eyes still wide.

The man laughed lightly. "Sorry. I was in a rush."

"I can tell," she replied. "Are you visiting a relative?"

"No, I'm visiting my girlfriend." A pause. "Actually, my ex-girlfriend."

"Oh? What happened?" Namjoo asked him curiously. The man's face hardened. He forced a smile, which obviously failed to impress Namjoo.

"Ah... It's complicated. You must be new here--" When the man finally looked up to face her, he stopped. His skin turned slightly pale at the sight of her uniform. He raised his index finger and pointed at the ironed badge. "That... That was my school..."

Hearing this, Namjoo's eyes suddenly twinkled. "Then that means that you're a graduate, right? If you can tell me, what year did you graduate?"

Ding!

The elevator doors opened to the fifth floor. The stranger paused, then stared at the empty wall that was introduced to him. Namjoo glanced over at the number, and gasped. She quickly got off, but turned around when she heard the stranger press a button. The man smiled bitterly, then shrugged his shoulders.

"Woops! Ran out of time! I'll tell you when I graduated next time..." Before he could finish, the doors had closed. Namjoo stared at the door with a dumbfounded expression. Then, she realized that the elevator was going back down to the first floor.

Something was fishy with him, she thought, frowning. Who could he be?

"Get away from me!" someone screamed. Namjoo whirled her head, and found a doctor being pushed out of the room. The doctor looked scared, and possibly shaken by the patient's scream. However, when Namjoo narrowed her eyes to carefully examine the girl, she dropped her jaws and ran towards them.

"Suzy! Suzy!" Namjoo called. The crazy girl stopped pushing the doctor, and stopped. She slowly turned around, and her knees suddenly buckled.

"Nam...joo," Suzy whispered in a shaky voice. Namjoo approached them with caution, but managed to smile a bit.

"What's up, best friend?" Namjoo asked, trying to lighten the atmosphere.

Tears suddenly spilled out of Suzy's eyes. Namjoo stopped smiling and gave her a shocked expression. Before either of them could say a word, Suzy ran to the opposite direction. However, being weak from screaming and not eating, she suddenly collapsed after taking the first step. Namjoo gasped loudly, as the doctor bent down to prevent Suzy from falling down.

"Suzy? Suzy! What's wrong with her?" Namjoo yelled.

The doctor gently shook Suzy. "She's fainted. Quick, call the nurse!"

Namjoo felt her lips trembled as she looked for a nurse. "No one's here!"

"Help me bring her to room 1010, then!" the doctor demanded. Namjoo suddenly froze. 

"Talk to the girl on the fifth foor in room 1010. You'll love talking to her about these things."

Namjoo was on the fifth floor with Suzy. She had to take her friend to room 1010. 

What happened while I was at another school? she wondered, helping Suzy up on her feet.

 

Ilhoon found himself in front of Kai, kneeling like a peasant under the king's order. Kai was with his friends, who only chuckled and smirked at Ilhoon's miserable state. Two guys pulled out a basket of tomatoes from the closet, and dropped it in front of Kai's feet. Three other guys covered a part of the wall with a clean, white background. 

"Stand over there," Kai demanded, reaching to pick up the red fruit.

Ilhoon slowly turned back and bit his lips. "B-But..."

"Huh? Did you say something?" Kai asked, glaring at the hesitating boy. Ilhoon, knowing his place, shook his head and dragged his feet towards the wall. His heart suddenly felt heavy when one of Kai's minions grabbed Ilhoon's blazer.

"W-What are you going to do?" Ilhoon stuttered, rubbing his arm.

Kai playfully tossed the tomatoe in the air. "Do you want to die?" Ilhoon shook his head. "Then don't move."

Ilhoon did as he was instructed and stood still like a statue. Kai's friends also grabbed a tomato, first hesitant about throwing the food at the poor boy. They all waited for Kai to take the first shot. He carefully aimed at Ilhoon, who suddenly began to shake. Slowly, he drew his arm back, then quickly threw the fruit and watched it land right next to Ilhoon's head. Ilhoon felt his heart race as his eyes rolled towards the flattened tomato.

"Huh, this is pretty fun!" Kai exclaimed, grinning. "Everyone! Whoever can throw it closer The Idiot's head than me gets their homework done by The Idiot."

Ilhoon widened his eyes. "H-Huh? But I never agreed to such a thing--"

Splat!

The flying tomatoe landed close to his head, but not close enough compared to Kai. Soon enough, tomatoes were aimed close to Ilhoon's face. Every time he saw one of Kai's friends throw the item, he felt his heart race in fear. In the end, Kai ended up hitting the tomatoe closer to Ilhoon's face. 

Kai laughed as he forced the poor boy to grab the stack of homework. "Remember, Ilhoon! You throw this away, you're throwing away your future."

A wicked laugh echoed in the room as someone threw Ilhoon back his jacket. Ilhoon felt his tears swell up. His vision was blurred with tears. He looked up to prevent them from falling, but one single tear managed to escape the corner of his eyes. Before Kai could see his tear, Ilhoon quickly wiped them away and glared furiously at the homework.