A Whole New World

An Angel's Agony

Namjoo was confused. She was with Ilhoon, standing outside of the roof doors. She wanted to eavesdrop on them, but felt that it would be rude of her to do so. After all, they were going to talk about several things that Namjoo wouldn't know about. As she pressed her ears against the door, she only heard short phrases and words that didn't make sense.

"Krystal... fault... death... shut... stop..."

After a few more minutes, the door swung opened. Namjoo gasped and tripped over her own feet, landing on her bottom right in front of Ilhoon. She blushed, embarrassed, and looked up. Kai's body was outside of the roof, but his head was turned to where the rest were.

"I wish you were all dead!" Kai screamed. Namjoo felt something tug her heart as she remembered about the hit-list. "I wish you all died like how Krystal did!"

"Don't talk about my sister like that!" Jessica shouted. Hot tears streamed down her cheeks, surprising Namjoo. "You didn't even know anything about my family! Krystal shouldn't have died! You should've died!"

"I bet she didn't even want to live anymore, and took that opportunity to kill herself. It was all your fault! If you were a better sister, she wouldn't have died!"

"You're disgusting! Revolting! Hideous! "

"No, you're disgusting! What kind of sister were you when she was trying to live?"

To this question, Jessica kept silent. Her lips trembled, and her tears continued to fall. Minho tried to approach her and calm her, but Jessica shoved away his comfort and stormed out of the room. After Ilhoon helped Namjoo get up back on her feet, she examined the rest. L seemed pale, yet the way he curled up his fingers with a fist told her that he was angry. Suzy broke down into tears after the conversation sunk into her mind. Minho was exhausted, and his knees buckled as if he was on the ground for a long time. Not only that, but the boy's cheeks were also red.

"Get out of the way!" Kai shouted, snapping Namjoo out of her thoughts. Instinctively, Ilhoon pulled her away. Kai shot them a dirty glare, and stormed down the stairs, making sure that his frustration would be heard by the rest.

"What do you think happened?" Ilhoon whispered.

"I don't know, but I'm going to ask," Namjoo declared. She was about to step into the roof until she heard Suzy scream. Appalled, Namjoo froze at her spot. 

"Suzy, what's wrong?" L asked, kneeling in front of her.

"I hate this place," she cried. "I hate this place! This was a mistake! I'm never, ever going to step outside after this!"

"Calm down, Suzy. Look, I'll take you back to the hospital," he offered her, taking her hands. "Today was a mistake--I agree with you on that. However, if we come back tomorrow, I'm sure everything will be better."

"Here we go again," Minho muttered. "The 'Amazing L' is trying to win everyone's hearts and appeal to their eyes. Looks like you haven't changed for the past two years."

L whirled around and narrowed his eyes. "Oh yeah? Well, I see that you've changed... for the worse."

"Are you mocking me?"

"Krystal wouldn't be dead if you weren't involved with her life."

Minho sealed his lips. He looked away, and stared down at the roof. The height made him feel dizzy, but the haunting memories that flashed through his mind caused him to feel sick.

"I'm sorry," he mumbled.

L scoffed. "Yeah, well I don't care about your apologies. What's done is done."

Minho played with his finger. "You know, you could've made this easier on us. On all of us, actually."

"Like how?"

"Like saying the truth?"

L scrunched his nose. "Minho. Don't. Remember what we agreed on?"

Suzy, who had been listening to their conversation, grabbed ahold of his arm. "L, Minho, what are you talking about? What truth?" Her eyes lit up. "Does that mean I didn't kill Krystal? Does it mean that I wasn't the last straw? Does that mean that it wasn't my fault? She didn't die because of me, right? She died because of someone or something else, right?"

Minho looked like he wanted to blurt out something, but L gave him a firm look. Knowing that this conversation was pointless, Minho heaved a sigh. He shoved his hands in his pockets and stared down at the ground. He looked up at the summer blue sky, amazed how beautiful the world was when he was in a serious situation.

"Hey, L. Guess what?"

"What?"

"I stopped playing soccer," Minho confessed.

"Why are you telling this to me?"

"Hm... I wonder why." He let out a soft chuckle, then looked at L and Suzy. "Do visit Krystal once in a while, okay? I've been visiting her everyday."

"Can't," L replied, getting up to guide Suzy away from the building. "I'm too busy. Minho, I already have new friends. Why don't you move on and continue playing soccer? You loved that game when Krystal was around."

"...You really don't care about Krystal, do you?"

"Why should I? She's dead and gone from this world. If you knew Krystal, she'd want us to move on."

"No, if you knew Krystal, she would want you to see her once in a while!"

"I don't need you to tell me what to do--"

"I'll visit her." Minho and L stared at Suzy, who finally spoke up after letting out soft snobs. "I want to visit Krystal soon."

"Why? So that you can curse and dump food on her grave?" Minho asked, narrowing her eyes.

Suzy frowned. "Are you saying that it's my fault? I don't understand you two! You speak as if there's a deeper reason to her death, but you act as if it's my fault. What are you trying to tell me? What are you trying to tell the world?"

Ilhoon touched Namjoo's shoulders, making her jump from her spot. She turned around, and stared at Ilhoon, who slowly shook his head.

"We should talk to them another time," Ilhoon whispered. Namjoo glanced at him, then back at the trio. A soft wind blew against her face, as if it was pushing her away from the conversation. 

Go back, a voice whispered in her ears. Go back and don't return. You'll regret it.

Namjoo, startled, widened her eyes. "Did you say something, Ilhoon?"

Ilhoon frowned. "No. Why would I say anything?"

"Didn't you tell me to 'go back'?"

"Huh? I just said that we should talk to them another time," he replied. "Are you hearing things...?"

She shivered, and shook her head. "Whatever. I just heard a voice, that's all. Anyways, I'm going in there. I need to stop them--"

A stronger wind blew, and the door in front of them shut close. Namjoo widened her eyes, and looked around. Was someone playing a trick on them?

Don't go on the roof. It's a mistake, another voice whispered.

"I think the wind is speaking to me," Namjoo mumbled.

"Are you possessed?" Ilhoon asked her, raising an eyebrow. "You're hearing a voice that tells you to 'go back' and the door closed on you. It must be some kind of sign or a ghost. Perhaps it's this 'Krystal' who's talking to you?"

Namjoo glared at him and smacked his stomach. "Don't scare me like that! It's freaky!"

"Hey, it might be! And if it is Krystal's ghost, then it must be serious."

"I don't believe in those kinds of stuff. I'm going in, and I'm going to find the truth."

"Wait." Ilhoon grabbed onto Namjoo's hand before she managed to reach for the door knob. "If you open this door, then you're probably going to get into a huge mess. Are you really going to risk it?"

Namjoo paused, then wrapped her fingers around Ilhoon's risk. She gave him a soft smile.

"Then I guess if it's dangerous for me to do this alone, I'll have to drag you into this, right?"

Ilhoon widened his eyes. "Wait, what--"

Before he could continue, Namjoo quickly pushed down the door knob and opened the door. The breeze quickly brushed past their hairs and swept inside the school. The wind followed down and gently brushed against Kai's cheeks and passed by Jessica's bare hands.

At that very moment, when the pair opened the doors, they were welcomed to a whole new definition of chaos and corrupted minds.