Yearbooks

An Angel's Agony

Namjoo and Ilhoon skipped fourth and fifth period and occupied their time at the library. During their time, they spent the entire hour searching for where the school kept their yearbooks. Once they found it, they had their eyes glued on every page and read each word printed on the old books. After a few minutes, Ilhoon rubbed the back of his neck and heaved a sigh.

"This is no good. We can't find them anywhere," Ilhoon muttered.

"Come on, they just have to be somewhere around here," Namjoo mumbled back, resting her chin against the palm of her hand. She flipped to the next page, then stopped. Her eyes widened, and she stared down at the hit-list. Quickly, she patted down the book and widened her eyes. "It's here, Ilhoon! Right here!"

Ilhoon bent down and frowned. "Who's there?"

"This guy! Number three! 'Kim Myungsoo.' See? And look at the caption below his picture," Namjoo said. "'Never forget the Great L!'"

"I'm guessing that he's really popular, or that he just wanted some attention," Ilhoon said. "So what are you going to do? You found number three. What about number one? We're looking for number one!"

"Well, I found number two. 'Choi Minho: I leave this school with regrets.'"

"Sounds... sad, I guess. These two must've graduated with different feelings."

"Who cares? Maybe they know something about Krystal! I didn't see Krystal in this yearbook, and the yearbook following this one is gone." Namjoo stood up and dusted her skirt. "Ready?"

Ilhoon blinked his eyes and placed the yearbooks back on the shelf. "For what?"

"We're going to find Myungsoo and Minho, duh!" she said, rolling her eyes.

"And how do you expect us to do that?" he asked, biting his tongue. I've got a bad feeling about this.

"Simple. We'll talk to the oldest person in this school and ask him or her where these two went," Namjoo explained. "That way, we can find them and ask them a few questions about Krystal and Kai."

Suddenly, Namjoo's watch began to beep. She stared at the time, and widened her eyes. Once she clicked on the "off" button, she grabbed her back and shoved the last yearbook into the shelf.

"W-Woah! Where are you going?" Ilhoon questioned her.

"Out! I promised my mom that I'll meet her today during sixth period. I'm going to see an old friend of mine," she explained.

"Who?"

Namjoo grabbed her blazer and grinned. "Bae Suzy, of course!"

 

Kai was working at the student council room. He was filing the papers and stamping the homework, just like how the teachers assigned him to. However, although he was working dilligently in the empty room, he couldn't help but glance over the curtains. There was a pair of shoe over there. That meant that someone was hiding. But who?

It was a girl, he told himself. Definitely a girl.

He heaved a sigh and pushed a stack of paper to one corner of his desk. "Could be anyone. It could be any girl. But it would most likely be..."

Namjoo, he finished, clicking his tongue. It just has to be her. But why? What was she doing here? Was she going to talk to me or something? If she was, she could've came out. But then she also had that list...

His eyes rolled over to the trashcan next to him. Before, it had a crumbled piece of paper in it. Now? It was filled with useless paperworks, yet no matter how much he dug it up, the note was gone. His eyes narrowed like an angry cat, dark and intiminating. 

If she has it, then I'm definitely in a risky situation. She could give it to the teacher, and I could be in big trouble. A loud click! echoed from the stapler. I need to keep my eyes on that little worm.

Kai blinked his eyes, and realized that he had stapled the wrong papers. He dropped the stapler, and groaned loudly. He unpeeled the staple, and threw it in the trash. Rubbing his sore eyes, he got up and looked out the window to clear his mind. Once he looked down, he could not look away. Right on the spot, he saw Namjoo run over to the gates, talk to the gate watcher, and saw the black fence open. 

"What's she up to?" Kai wondered out loud. He watched her run to a silver car, and get into it. His cold eyes turned soft. "Oh. She has a mother. How nice..."

Wait. Kai blinked his eyes for a moment. Namjoo is gone. That means that the pesky Idiot is all alone, right?

A wide grin spreaded across his face. "I should take a break and have some fun."

He walked over to his desk, and flipped over a plastic case. He pressed the green button, which lit up like a brilliant star. He cleared his throat and moved himself over the microphone.

"Jung Ilhoon, please come to the student council room. Jung Ilhoon, please come to the student council room at this very moment."

Kai smirked as he lifted his finger from the button.

"This is going to be fun."

 

A girl with long, messy brown hair was curled up at the corner of the room. Tears stained her cheeks, and her bony cheeks horrified the other patients. She tried to wipe her tears, but shame had overcome her poor heart as she hid her face under her arms. A man wearing a white lab suit approached her.

"Suzy... Suzy, please listen up. You know who I am, yes?" he asked her carefully.

She looked up with dead eyes. "I'm not an idiot. You're my... doctor..." More tears trickled down her face. "N-No, I am an idiot... She died... She died so unexpectedly..."

Her purple lips trembled like a snowy blizzard in the middle of winter. She was frustrated over being locked up in the plain, white room for the past two years of her life. But how could she face the world? It was her fault in the beginning for causing a particular someone to commit suicide.

"Well, Suzy. I have good news and bad news. Which one would you like to hear first?"

"Bad news," Suzy muttered. "Bad news... I'm a magnet of bad news! I'm just bad luck! I'm a dirty, black-hearted magnet..."

The doctor gripped his fingers around her fragile arms. "The bad news is that you haven't eaten your lunch yet."

Suzy stared at him for a long time. "Are you trying to be funny?"

"It's also bad news that you've been in the hospital for two years. Suzy, don't you want to try getting out of this building? You can't have this room and bed to yourself forever."

"In here, no one knows me except for being someone who's ill-minded!" Suzy exclaimed. "Out there?" She faked a laugh. "Out there, it's a different place. It's a world where no one is willing to turn to you in order to help you. Out there, I'm a bad girl!"

The doctor heaved a sigh. "Well, I've got good news."

"What? That I'm going to die soon? Hopefully that's it," Suzy muttered crossly.

"No, that's not it. Do you know a girl named Kim Namjoo?" he asked her.

Suzy froze. She knew that name. She and Namjoo were best friends before kindergarden. It was only a pity that her friend had to leave. They even lost contact with each other. Who would've thought that she would hear Namjoo's name again?

Life is so ironic, Suzy thought. "Yes, I know her."

"Well, she's coming to visit you in twenty minutes! So... Can you eat your lunch now?" the doctor pleaded. Suzy gasped, and widened her eyes. She got up and stared at the doctor angrily.

"She's coming? Why is she here? What does she want?" Suzy shouted. "I know her, but that doesn't mean I want to see her!"

The doctor widened his eyes. "B-But I thought you two were friends--"

"Yeah, we were!" Suzy yelled. "That was until she left me alone, weak and lonely! It's her fault that... that I'm an awful person!"

Before the doctor had anything to say, Suzy ran out of the room with even more tears on her face. It had been two years since Krystal had died, and rumors said that it was because of Suzy's harsh treatment. Because of these nasty rumors, her parents had disowned her and her crazy actions forced her into being hospitalized. Since then, she could never forget. She could never forget how her friends had turned their backs on her, how her parents refused to communicate with her, and how her world fell apart.

She couldn't say that she understood Krystal's pain, though.

Because what could a heartless bully like her understand a pitiful victimn's soul?