The Nurse

An Angel's Agony

Ilhoon flinched when Namjoo reached over his head and pressed her thumb against his purple bruise. She frowned at him, held the back of his head with her other hand, and continued to press her thumb against the injury. Ilhoon tried to turn away, but the way Namjoo was holding the back of his head made his neck stiff. After examining the bruise a bit more, she heaved a sigh and dropped her pale hands to her side.

"I can't believe they kicked your head," Namjoo mumbled. She grabbed his makeup kit and opened the powder concealer. She grabbed a brush and gently tapped the powder onto the brown brush. "Stay still, or else."

"But it hurts," Ilhoon complained. She giggled, and applied the powder against the bruise on his forehead.

"Move your bangs a bit, Ilhoon. The powder's getting onto it," she told him.

"That's fine. I can just dust off the powder later," he replied. When she frowned at him, he sighed and brushed his brown bangs to the side. Namjoo smiled and continued to brush against his forehead. 

For some reason, Ilhoon found himself in an awkward position. The way Namjoo had her eyes glued on him made him feel weak and embarrassed. He was used to being stared at, and he would just look away or stare down at the ground. However, his eyes were glued on her facial expression. At times, he wanted to smirk at her frown, then smile along with her whenever she smiled. Instead, he kept a neutral expression and stared at her for quite a long time.

"Done!" Namjoo finally exclaimed. Hearing her suddenly speak, Ilhoon gasped and dropped the hand that was grabbing his bangs back down. He awkwardly looked away and blinked quickly, unsure of what to do. His cheeks went red, and his heart began to race. He was definitely too embarrassed to see Namjoo right now.

"A-Ah... T-Thanks!" he stuttered.

"No problem," she replied, closing the concealer. She suddenly grinned. "Hey, isn't this kind of familiar? You also used the same powder concealer to cover up my bruise. Remember the time when Kai hit me?"

Ilhoon didn't know how to react. "Oh... yeah. I remember that. You said that you liked Kai, right? Did you face him afterwards? I remembered you saying something about teaching him a lesson or something."

Namjoo chuckled. "Didn't have the time. I found that hit-list, and it changed my world! Who knew that I, Kim Namjoo, would come to this school to solve a mystery instead of become Kai's girlfriend?"

"Do you still want to be with him?" Ilhoon blurted. He stared at Namjoo with worry in her eyes. She pressed her lips, then leaned against the wall uncomfortably.

"I... If he changes, then I might consider him. But if he doesn't..." She stopped. Namjoo brought her fingers to her lips, where they were starting to tremble. Ilhoon only looked at Namjoo with a dumbfounded look.

So there are really people who would forgive someone as disgusting as Kai. "I see. Don't worry, I won't judge you."

"Oh, um, thanks. B-But... I mean, you're my friend, so it seems kind of wrong to still like Kai," Namjoo explained, rubbing the back of her neck.

"It's no problem," Ilhoon assured her. He got up from the chair. "Look, I should go. I--"

"Ilhoon? Is that you?" a female voice called out. Ilhoon widened his eyes. He grabbed Namjoo's wrist and pushed her down behind the bed. He leaned dangerously close to her.

"Stay here, don't move, and don't make a sound," he whispered, almost glaring at her. Namjoo nodded her head, scared over Ilhoon's actions. Ilhoon studied her for a moment, but then the curtains that was covering the bed opened. Namjoo managed to take a peek of who it was.

"Ilhoon, what are you doing here?" The same nurse who had asked Namjoo to deliver some files to Kai frowned at the poor boy. Ilhoon pressed his lips, which was a big mistake. The cut that he had completely forgotten to treat stung his chapped lips. Ilhoon scrunched his face in an unpleasant way. G.NA, the nurse, laughed softly.

"S-Sorry. I needed some more ointments," Ilhoon lied. 

"Sure, come over here. But what were you doing over there? You know that there's nothing behind that bed. Hardly anyone uses it anymore," G.NA pointed out.

"Oh... I just needed to have a phone call with a friend," he lied again. 

G.NA gasped. "You got a friend? Woah, what a surprise! Is he strong?"

"'He' is a girl," Ilhoon corrected. G.NA flushed her cheeks in embarrassment. He took a seat back on the same chair, and watched the nurse run around the room to find the medicine. "She's not strong physically, but I guess she's pretty strong emotional and mentally."

"That's great," G.NA complimented. Her proud smile soon faded into a soft look. "Did you know that I had a friend who used to be strong emotional and mentally? She did a lot for her family, even though they didn't know that she was helping them in some way. Especially her younger sister. Her younger sister had no clue what my friend was going through."

"Is your friend's sister thankful now?" Ilhoon asked.

G.NA handed him the ointment and forced a smile. "Ah, no. Mm... Two years ago, it was said that her sister committed suicide here at this school. She and this other boy fell from the roof and only one of them survived from the fall. It was a miracle for the boy, but not for her."

"Wait, how did the boy survive and not the younger sister?"

"My friend suspected two people who might've known what happened, but she didn't question them. She blamed her sister's death on herself."

"I understand. I would've done the same if I were them. Seeking for answer is too dangerous," Ilhoon said, grabbing a mirror. "I'd hate to get involved into a deeper mess."

"But that's not right!" Namjoo blurted, getting up from her hiding spot. G.NA dropped her jaws in surprise, while Ilhoon glared at her. "I'm sorry, Ilhoon, but I couldn't just keep quiet. Why didn't she ask the two? It never hurts to ask a question!"

"I wish that I had the answer for that, but I don't know. My friend just came back from the U.S.A just last week. She's been there for the past two years to reflect on everything that happened," G.NA said.

"Does she perhaps know anything about a girl named Krystal?" Namjoo asked.

"Namjoo!" Ilhoon scolded quietly.

"I said that I was sorry, Ilhoon," she responded. "Please, I just want to know if she was related in any way to this girl named Jung Krystal."

G.NA pressed her lips. "And why do you want to know this?"

Because Kai has a hit-list and I want to know who Krystal is, Namjoo thought. "I...I was a friend of hers before. She saved me from a bunch of bullies, and I never got to thank her."

"I'm sorry, Nurse G.NA," Ilhoon apologized. He reached to grab Namjoo's hand. "My friend here just doesn't know when to stop. We'll be leaving right away."

Namjoo's eyes enlarged, but she didn't try fighting with Ilhoon. He dragged her out the door just before G.NA spoke.

"If I can, I'll ask my friend if you guys can visit her," G.NA told them. "Come back tomorrow and I'll see how things go."

Namjoo smiled, but then frowned. "Um, sorry if this is so sudden, but may I ask the name of your friend?"

G.NA only smiled. "Her name? Well, I met her back in the U.S during one of my trips. If I remember correctly, her name was Jung Jessica."

 

Suzy almost dropped her spoon. She stared at the man with large, frog-like eyes enter the room. She slowly put her silver utensil into the bowl of hot soup that she was just about to eat. 

"I can't believe it," she whispered. "For the past two years, you've never visited me. Why now?"

The man with dark brown hair shrugged his shoulders. "Sorry. I was just walking along until I remembered about you staying here. So, have you been recovering?"

She scoffed. "Um, I don't know. You tell me. Why am I here in this hospital?"

"Sorry."

"Would you stop saying that?"

"I'm really sorry--"

"Choi Minho, stop it. You've apologized to everyone and everybody enough. Just when are you going to tell us the truth? When are you going to tell me the truth?" Suzy tightened her grip around the handle of her spoon. "I know for sure, no matter how much I bullied Krystal, that she would never fall from the roof. You were up there with Krystal and Kai! What happened?"

Minho didn't even try to answer her question. "I'm sorry, Suzy. I'm really sorry."

Now, Suzy's whole body was trembling in anger. Without thinking, she threw her food to the ground and grabbed onto Minho's collar.

"Shut up!" she screamed. "Stop, stop, stop! Just tell me! Why won't you just speak?"

After hearing Suzy scream, the nurses began to rush in. They used all of their strengths to pull her apart from the zombie-like boy. Minho just bowed his head and stared down at the ground.

"I'm sorry, Suzy. I'm really sorry," Minho apologized.

"It wasn't my fault, right? It wasn't my fault!" Suzy shouted. She broke down into tears and tried to punch Minho's chest. "Why is it that you get to go to college without being cursed or glared at, huh? Everyone thinks that it's my fault. I didn't push her that far!"

The boy, now pale from the fear of Suzy punching him, took a step back. "I'm sorry, Suzy. I have to go today. I have classes to attend."

"Oh, and I bet that you're still in that little sports club, right?" she snapped.

Minho froze on the spot. "That 'little sports club' is the soccer club." He turned his head a bit, then broke into a fake smile. "And I gave up playing sports after Krystal passed away. Sorry."

He left the room, playing with an old, folded paper in his pocket.