chapter 5

Never too late

Nabyul twisted and turned in the bed.

Changmin had told her how kyuhyun was going to live with them.

Thinking about living in the same house as him made her tireless.

She gazed at changmin who was soundly asleep besides her.

‘Maybe a glass of warm milk will help me sleep.’

Nabyul made her way out of the room and down the stairs trying her best not to make a sound.

When entering the kitchen she saw a shadow.

She grew cautious as she sensed another presence.

Just as the shadow grew close nabyul the lights.

Kyuhyun stood there looking at her.

“oh! Oppa. You scared me. I thought there was a thief or something.” Nabyul said putting a hand on her chest to calm her fast beating heart.

“something? Still afraid of ghosts?” kyuhyun asked jokingly.

“ghosts can be anywhere.” Nabyul said hiding her fear. “what are you doing here?”

“came to get a glass of water.” Kyuhyun answered.

“you could have the lights.”

“I couldn’t find the light switch in the dark.” Kyuhyun explained. “what were you doing this late?”

“I was coming to get a glass of milk.” Nabyul answered while taking out the milk carton from the refrigerator.

Nabyul drank the milk in one breath.

Kyuhyun smiled.

Nabyul never liked milk that’s why when she had to drink it she would finish it in one breath like kid so the taste wouldn’t last long.

While looking at her something caught kyuhyun’s eyes.

“still wearing the necklace?” he asked.

Nabyul look down to her neck and noticed the butterfly necklace.

“oh! Yeah.” Nabyul nodded. “I just like to wear it. no other reason.” She quickly added.

“I didn’t ask why.” Kyuhyun stated.

Nabyul bit her lips.

Kyuhyun sensed the awkwardness so he changed the subject.

“remember how when we were young when you couldn’t sleep you would call me over and I would come running and entered your room through the window.”  Kyuhyun said with a smile.

‘how can I forget. it was one of the reason why I fell in love with you. You were always there for me.’

Nabyul smiled at the memory.

“ofcourse I remember oppa.”

“you know. Those memories are really special to me.” Kyuhyun said looking her way.

Nabyul slowly nodded.

“they are. To me too.”

“how is changmin treating you?” kyuhyun suddenly asked.

“he treats me like a princess. He loves me.” She answered emphasizing ‘love’.

“what about you?” kyuhyun asked.

‘what is he trying to ask?’

“of course I love him too.” Nabyul answered looking directly in his eyes.

The pain in kyuhyun’s eyes was evident.

“good. I’m happy for you two.” He said with a forced smile.

‘happy? Is that all you can be?’

“I should go to bed. What if changmin oppa wakes up not seeing me there? I don’t want to worry him.” Nabyul said moving towards the door.

“please turn the lights off when going to bed.” With that she exited.

Kyuhyun closed his eyes.

‘don’t worry kyuhyun-ah! Your choice was nothing to regret. They are happy. That’s all you wanted.’