chapter 17

Never too late

“Ara?” Ara’s assistant called out with her head inside the office. “What is it?” Ara answered tearing her gaze away from the computer screen.

“Want to go out?” Kim Haerin, Ara’s best friend/assistant; entered the room, closing the door behind her.  She sat down on the couch and sighed.

 “I’m so tired. Let’s go on a break.” Ara raised an eyebrow. “You barely did any work and now you want a break?”

“Well I’m sorry if I’m not a workaholic like you, my dear.” Ara shook her head. “I can’t. I’m having a family dinner tonight. Kyuhyun is coming too.”

“Ugh just one night. Come on Ara. I’m sure they will be happy that their Ara is out having fun.” Haeri said.

“There’s another reason; I don’t want to.” Ara smiled. “As your best friend it’s my job to see if you don’t work too hard. Come on, we’re going.” She said pulling Ara up and forcing out the room.

“But where are we going?” Ara asked, flustered.  “I have a place in mind.” By the tone of her voice Ara knew it wasn’t a good idea but haeri wouldn’t let her get out of this one.

 

 

“Oh my dear Kyu!” Mrs. Shim called out as she hugged kyuhyun.

 It was Friday and the whole family had gathered in the shim mansion for dinner.

“My boy, I missed you. I’m so happy to see you.” kyuhyun smiled. He missed her. “Kyuhyun-ah!” Mr. shim called out. Kyuhyun went over to greet him by a tight hug. “You’ve grown to be handsome, tall too.”

Changmin standing in the doorway made a face. I’m here too you know.” He said but caught the attention of none. He sighed but then a soft smile played on his face. His parents loved kyuhyun. Changmin was rebellious while kyuhyun was the perfect son, so changmin was glad kyuhyun could give them the happiness he couldn’t.

“Oppa!” Changmin’s sisters came in view. Jiyeon, the maknae, pulled him in a tight hug. “I missed you, I missed you so much.” She exclaimed with her head dug in his chest. He patted her back. “My little jiyeonie, when did you grew up so much?” she giggled in return.

 “What did you got me?” soyeon, the older one, asked. She was an exact copy of changmin. Kyuhyun give her a look. “Not happy to see me?” she shrugged. “Depends on what you got me.”

“Let’s just sit down. My kyubb must be tired.” Mrs. Shim chimed the nickname she gave kyuhyun a while back. “Tired from literally doing nothing all day.” Changmin commented earning a smack from his mother.

“Where is Ara?” mr. shim asked. “I gave her a call; she said she’d be out with haerin.” Soyeon answered. “She is older than you jiyeon, call her unnie.” Mrs. Shim said but Soyeon just rolled her eyes. Mr. Shim’s eyes furrowed. He was uneasy. I’ll give her a call myself later.’

 

 

“Isn’t this fun?” haerin screamed through the loud music. Ara nodded unsurely.

 She knew haerin had this place in her mind; a club. The bright lights, the loud music and the tight dress that barely covered anything made Ara uncomfortable.

15 minutes and Ara couldn’t take it anymore. “It’s getting late, I should go.” “What? The night has just started. Here, drink this.” Haerin pushed a glass of liquor over to Ara who stared at it unsurely.

 She had only drunk alcohol two times in her life. One ended with her puking all over her date and the other ended up with a video of her dancing on top of a table (she still hadn’t forgiven jiyeon for that.)

haerin nudged her. “One shot.” Ara sighed as she picked up the glass and forced the hot liquid down .  She turned to haerin and saw her pouring another glass. “Go on now.” Haerin said forcing Ara to drink another.

After a few more shots, she felt her temperature started to rise. ‘Not again’ Ara thought as everything went blurry.

 

 

Everyone was in the living room. Except for kyuhyun; who wanted some fresh air. He had spent his childhood in this house and it brought back some old memories.

Mrs. Shim stepped out in the balcony to where kyuhyun was. “What are you doing out here?” “Wanted some fresh air.” He answered.

“Kyuhyun?” Mrs. Shim called out unsurely. “You don’t seem like yourself.” Kyuhyun turned to her and smiled. “I’m Cho Kyuhyun how more of myself do you want me to be?”

 Mrs. Shim shook her head. “No, not like that. I mean you used to be more talkative and livelier. Now you’re so quiet.  What happened.” She was worried.

Kyuhyun just looked down. “Well. I guess I grew up.” Mrs. Shim shook her head. “You two are the same.” “Who two?”

“You and your sister. Just like you, she can’t seem to let go.” Kyuhyun’s eyebrows furrowed. He knew about Ara but how was he similar? He had let go of everything, even nabyul. Especially nabyul.

“Your mother was my best friend. You are like a son to me. I also want to see you happy. I hate myself for not doing anything for you but how could I if you left?” that caught kyuhyun off-guard.

“What are you talking about?” Mrs. Shim let out a breath. He clearly wasn’t ready. He never was. “Nothing. Now come back inside. I don’t want you getting a cold or anything.”

In the back of his mind kyuhyun knew what she was talking about. ‘Umma, what could have you done? It was my choice to run away.’