chapter 11

Never too late

“Here it is.” Kyuhyun pointed to the classroom.

Just then two boys stepped out. They stopped and eyed nabyul. One of them even had the nerve to whistle. Kyuhyun instantly grew protective and threw them a glare. Once the guys were gone changmin finally caught up to the two.

“Did I hear them whistle at nabyul?” he asked. One may think he was protective over his wife but that wasn’t it. “Man! How come both of you get hit on while I’m the ajhussi? I really hate teenagers these days.” He said forgetting the fact that his youngest sister was too a teenager.

Nabyul rolled her eyes and followed kyuhyun in the classroom which was now empty as all the students were in the cafeteria.

Nabyul gazed around the room and took in the familiar surroundings. Her eyes then fell upon a familiar desk.

She approached it and sat down.

It all came back to her. How changmin used to sit in front and kyuhyun on the right. She felt protective with the two besides her. She remembered how she used to glances at kyuhyun during lessons trying hard not to get caught.

Nabyul looked over at the corner of the desk and her smile faded.

It was still there. The letters N and K carved inside a heart. It was the doing of a naïve girl who thought she was in love.

‘Back then I was so stupid and naïve.’

She traced the carving with her finger. She wanted to destroy it, ruin it but at the same time she wanted to protect it. Maybe because deep inside her heart was the same thing carved.

‘Nabyul and kyuhyun’

Kyuhyun who was observing her felt a pang in his heart. Without the other two knowing he carefully slipped out of the classroom.

“I’m glad I graduated but at the same time I wish we could have stayed in that time.” Changmin said approaching nabyul.

Nabyul nodded.

“siwon oppa wait a minute. I’ll be back.” A shouted to someone and entered the classroom. She stopped in her tracks noticing nabyul and changmin.

“Is this your desk?” nabyul asked pointing to the one she was sitting on.

The girl nodded unsurely.

Nabyul smiled and approached her.

“What’s your name?” she asked.

“kim minyeon.” The girl replied.

Just then a guy came into view. He was really tall with some extremely handsome features.

“minyeon-ah! Hurry up I’m starving.” He was probably the person she was talking to before coming in.

“I’m coming oppa.” Minyeon answered. She left the book she was holding all this time on her desk and joined the guy before bowing to nabyul and changmin.

Nabyul smiled. The girl reminded nabyul of her own self when she was young and in love.

“Hey! Where is kyuhyun?” changmin asked finally noticing his best friend gone.

“Nabi-ah! Go look for kyuhyun. I have to go meet the principal.”

Nabyul nodded. The two went out, changmin made his way to the principal’s office and nabyul looked for kyuhyun in the hallways.

‘Where is he?’

Just then something came to her mind.

‘He can’t be there. Can he?’

 

 

“You’re here.”

Kyuhyun turned around and met eyes with the person he was just thinking about.

“What are you doing here?” he asked.

“I thought I’d find you here” nabyul answered.

‘There is no other place you would be.’

This place was the school’s rooftop. The place where the two spent most of their high school time while changmin would be busy with girls.

It was there special place.

“Remember that hill?” kyuhyun pointed to the hill that could be seen from where they stood.

Nabyul nodded.

‘How can I forget?’

*flashback*

“Do you see that beautiful hill?” kyuhyun pointed. “Right on that hill we will build our house.”

“A big mansion. Like a castle.” Nabyul added.

“And you will live there like a princess.” Kyuhyun added. “And I’ll be your prince.”

Nabyul knew he was just joking but heart couldn’t help but flutter.

“We will have ten children. Five girls and five boys.” Kyuhyun said.

Nabyul blushed.

“eeyyy oppa~!” she lightly punched him.

“But just us? What about changmin?” nabyul asked playing along.

“he would be single even then so yeah we could give him a room on the top floor and have the rest of the house all for ourselves.” Kyuhyun answered.

“But how will I be able to raise twelve kids?” nabyul asked with a pout.

“Twelve? Do you want to add two more?” kyuhyun asked.

“ani I meant that you and changmin oppa are no less than kids.” nabyul answered.

“True that.”

Both of them started laughing.

“Your price will make you happy.” Kyuhyun said

*flashback end*

Kyuhyun chuckled bitterly.

“isn’t it ironic? We used to joke around how we would get married and live with changmin who would be single. Fate really is something. Now you two are married while I’m here single and living with you two.” He said.

“It was just a stupid imagination a bunch of naïve kids planned. You knew that. Didn’t you? Well the only thing that came true is that now I’m living happily with my prince.”

Kyuhyun looked into her eyes.

“of course. I also want you two to be happy.” He replied.

Nabyul’s heart broke into million pieces. She wanted to hear him say anything but that.

‘why can’t you speak up? Have you really moved on?’

Nabyul put up a forced smile.

“changmin oppa must be looking for us. We should head back.” She said and headed down the stairs.

Kyuhyun nodded and followed her.